Start by marking “Amanda” as Want to Read:

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  1,263 ratings  ·  45 reviews
Hooper has created a richly atmospheric tale of suspense that begins with a mysterious homecoming and ends in a shattering explosion of passion, greed, and murder. A young woman claiming to be Amanda, the long-lost granddaughter of the Daulton family patriarch, appears and some family members will do anything to keep her true identity a secret.
Published November 1st 1995 by Bantam

To ask other readers questions about Amanda, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amanda

Ana T.
While I am a great fan of Hooper's Bishop CSU series I had never tried her stand alone stories. I had heard good things about this one but the blurb never really convinced me till a couple of weeks ago when I finally decided it was time to get the older books out of the TBR pile.

I am very happy to say that despite my worries this was a very good read and I was actually surprised by the ending twist. In the beginning this felt a bit like some of Anne Stuart's romantic suspense stories but never r
Renee
Yet another in my pile of unread (or read and forgotten) ARCs, but this one's a gem. Even though I love gothic romances, for some reason I never reached for this one. What a mistake!

Amanda is a modern gothic, set in a southern mansion and centering about a woman alleging to be the long-lost granddaughter of the family patriarch. I know, that doesn't sound all that exciting, does it? I suspect that's why I never picked up the book before now. But it is exciting -- very. Hooper creates an intrigui
Margaret
I got this book at a thrift store for 25 cents! Even at 25 cents I might have passed it by but I decided to take the recommendation of an older man who told me it was a good book (he said he had read it).

From the back of the book: "Others have clained to be Amanda Daulton, but now a beautiful, self-assured woman has stepped out of the shadows of the past, insisting she's the missing heiress to a multi-million dollar fortune. Soon suspicion erupts in a chilling attempt on her life, and after the
Emily Higgins
A young woman, who claims to be Jesse Doulton's long-lost granddaughter arrives at his plantation, Glory. Her aunt, cousins and the family attorney are all skeptical of her story. Jesse has no doubt. Then, someone tries to kill her and Amanda knows that she must unravel the puzzle of her past quickly before her enemy succeeds in the attempt to kill her. The author keeps you turning pages to discover the secret of Amanda's past.
I originally bought this book as part of a gift for a friend of mine who shares the titular name. It only seemed fitting I read it before giving it to her. I enjoyed the romance, the intrigue and the overarching mystery surrounding Amanda's character. A shining sample of Kay Hooper's brilliance for weaving effortless beauty.
Karen
Did not expect the twists in this one. Is Amanda who she says she is? Does she want to inherit Glory or to find out what happened so long ago?
Amy
So. I picked up this book on a recent stay at a B&B because I finished my own book ahead of schedule. I got about half-way through & had to leave it ... and *really* wanted to know how it ended.

Unfortunately, I probably should have just left well enough alone, because the author completely lost me at the last chapter. Her plot resolution was bizarre ... I'm not sure if it was a situation of trying to write herself out of a corner or it was planned all along.

Verdict: The first 5/6 of th
Carla Johnson-Hicks
One of her earlier books, not as good as the recent stuff, but still an enjoyable read.
Tammy
I liked it. I normally read historical fiction but like to change things up from time to time and this book fits the spot nicely. Amanda showes up at the Glory mansion claiming to be the lost granddaughter and heiress to multimillioniare Jesse Daulton. She is very evasive about herself but makes clear she wants to know what happened twenty years earlier. There is danger, and romance and you will want to know if she is Amanda and what did happen twenty years earlier.
Sheila
I just reread this a couple of days ago. It's a book dependent on a couple of big twists, but even without the suspense, it's still a good read; one of the last Hooper romances before she started concentrating almost entirely on paranormal romance. I think my favorite thing about the book (besides the last romantic scene) is the use of the weather as a factor in the book, from the Southern summer humidity to the rainstorms.
Samantha
Wonderful mix of a romance and gothic mystery. A dying old geezer wants to reunite with his lost granddaughter, Amanda, before kicking the bucket and the family is not happy about the woman who enters saying she’s Amanda. Even though it’s written in first person from “Amanda’s” perspective Hooper still has you wondering if she’s really the Amanda. Which is fantastic!
Carissa
Although I did like the main characters, I must say, if this book were a movie of the week, it would be on Lifetime and star some of the cast of Falcon Crest, circa 1986. It's that type of story. Plus, the patriarch is a complete rip-off of Tennessee Williams' Big Daddy character from Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. Passable brain candy. -cg
Edith
Rather interesting book -- old plot, though. Amanda, who disappeared with her mother some 20 years ago, has returned to Glory, the family mansion. Lots of distrust and suspicions that she is not who she claims to be. She refuses to let her grandfather change his will to make her his heir. . .wonder what will happen next?
Susan Thompson
A later day gothic novel involving terror and romance. I found this book to be not as fast paced as I would like but having said that I still enjoyed the storyline and the characters. Hooper does not introduce the paranormal in this story, unlike most of her other works of fiction.
Tjitske
Reading the storyline I expected a thrilling read. Unfortunately it didn't live up to my expectations. Basically this is a nice book to read on a holiday while relaxing on the beach. Nothing more, nothing less.
Vin9
Excellent first half with thrilling sense of desperation type of mystery.
But the sleazy absolutely unnecessary romance in second half totally ruins the book from top notch mystery to sleazy romance novel.
Amanda
Not sure how this book ended up in my repertoire. I think someone got it for me at a garage sale because it had my name on it. Not bad though. A romance novel that actually has a plot!
Marianne
First time with this author, and I will definitely read more of her.
What a rip roaring good mystery, I couldn't put it down, I wanted to know how the story turned out.
surprise ending too.
Louise
Not one of Hooper's better novels. Although the story was interesting it was somewhat predictable and I had a feeling what the outcome would be. Was I right? Absolutely!

Judy
This book I had for a long time. Picked it up to read at the beach and it was a good book. Kept you wanting to read to see if she was really the Amanda Daulton.
Brittany
Compelling characters, plenty of suspense and plot twists, sensuality, a real page-turner. I COULD not put it down!! And those twists..... OMG!
Sheri
One of my top all-time favorites! Read it many times and will definitely read this book again.
Kristen McKay
i love this book!! then ending makes reading this book really worth it! RECOMMEND!
Melissa
Great!! Will definitely read this book again. Their was a twist, but it was great.
Geri
Keep you guessing right up to the end. I love the way she tells her stories.
Sydney
one of my all time favorite books, have read countless times.
Kay Webb
Her best book, IMO. I read it many times and loved it every time.
Randy Holmberg
This book was rather slow, but big plot twist at the end.
Joanne
Great book - did not expect the ending though - love it!
Fran
Keeps you reading late into the night...loved it
  • Boots And Bullets
  • Death Angel
  • When the Storm Breaks
  • Guilty Pleasures
  • The Ebony Swan
  • Conner's Wolf (Supernatural Bonds, #6)
Kay Hooper was born in California, in an air force base hospital since her father was stationed there at the time. The family moved back to North Carolina shortly afterward, so she was raised and went to school there.
The oldest of three children, Kay has a brother two years younger and a sister seven years younger. Her father and brother are builders who own a highly respected construction compan
More about Kay Hooper...
Whisper of Evil (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #5) Stealing Shadows (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #1) Blood Ties (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #12) Hunting Fear (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #7) Out of the Shadows (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #3)