Start by marking “Eleanor the Queen” as Want to Read:
Eleanor the Queen

Eleanor the Queen

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  517 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Eleanor is young, high-spirited, supremely intelligent, heiress to the vast Duchy of Aquitaine - at a time when a woman's value was measured in terms of wealth. Her vivid leadership inspired and dazzled those about her. And yet, born to rule, she was continually repressed and threatened by the men who overshadowed her life. This is the story of a brilliant, medieval figure ...more
Published January 9th 2007 by Tempus Publishing (first published 1955)

To ask other readers questions about Eleanor the Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eleanor the Queen

Erin Germain
Not a bad little read. It's a slim book, so I knew it would gloss over a lot of her life, but it still gave a sense of what a strong woman Eleanor was. I think I'd prefer an actual biography, but this was fun to "flesh out" some of the relationships and give you a chance to peek into what might have been going through her head, especially during the fifteen years she was in prison.
Heather
I really loved this book. I haven't read a historical fiction for a while and I had forgotten how much I love them. This book is based around fact. I love to learn about the history of Englands royals. It is a really fascinating read and written in a way that is easy to read without all the stuffyness of some factual books.
Mandy Moody
I enjoyed this book very much. I thought the story telling was exceptionally vivid, in addition to being very accurate.
Eleanor was such an amazing woman! From the crusades of her youth to her 15 year imprisonment as an old woman, her life was fascinating.
Hannah Cobb
As a chronology of the life and times of a famous woman, this book has it all: introductions for all the important historical figures, geographic and historic explanation of the politics, and a simple, straightforward narrative style that moves from key point to key point in Eleanor's life. As historical fiction, it falls seriously flat. It reads like a well-written history textbook interspersed with sections of blatantly information-filled dialogue. I was disappointed that Lofts made no real at ...more
Rosemarie Short
As my Mom has just said to me, while discussing this book over the kettle, "Norah Lofts is a poor man's Jean Plaidy" - and in terms of historical fiction she's right.
I'm reliably told that Lofts has written fiction which, whilst in the historical realm, are not based on actual, living breathing, written in the history books people. And that, again I am told, is very good. I can see why - Lofts has a flair for narrative which really draws you in. The only problem I had with Eleanor the Queen is
Alana White
Mar 14, 2012 Alana White rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers of Historical Fiction

Eleanor the Queen: A Novel of Eleanor of Aquitaine
by Norah Lofts
Touchstone/2010

First published a half-century ago, this reprint of Norah Lofts' story of one of history's most famous and powerful queens follows Eleanor from her marriage to the future king of France through her tempestuous marriage to King Henry II, her imprisonment at Henry's hands, and her eventual role as England's regent when her son, King Richard the Lion Heart, left Europe for Jerusalem on Crusade.

Fifteen at the time of her
Eva
This is a lovely rich novel which begins with the death of Eleanor's father while on a crusade. As the heiress of a valuable estate, she was quickly married off to the future king of France.

Trained to rule by her father, she attempted to help her husband, King Louis VII, but his advisers denigrated her and kept them apart. When the Archbishop wanted a new crusade, she circumvented him and led her knights and nobles on the crusade.

After 15 years, she and Louis only had daughters. Using the excu
Bon
An incredibly easy read, but ultimately disappointing. As eventful as Eleanor's life was, this book manages to skim over the truly interesting things and, instead, focuses on the mundane details of her life. Of the real historical events that were actually mentioned, the author succeeded in completely fictionalizing them and brushing them aside. I get that this is fiction, but if you're going to change these events, it'd be nice to at least make them interesting to read. And finally, the book en ...more
Peggie Ross
I enjoyed this very much... so much so that I read it is 2 days and look forward to reading more by this author. I will also be looking for more information on Eleanor and her amazing life.
Troy Rodgers
It's been said that Eleanor is the queen who inspired the concepts of Courtly Love and inspired chivalry in her passing. True or not, Norah Lofts makes you believe it. Eleanor's story is told more or less in fast forward, and there's not much here beyond the basics of history in terms of names, dates and facts. Such is the nature of such a short novel written so many decades ago. That said, the reason to read this account is for the story and for Eleanor's strength of character. It's difficult n ...more
Margaret
I was a little leery starting this book. I've read about Eleanor's life by Sharon Kay Penman and Elizabeth Chadwick already so really did I need to read another one. I was able to grab the audible version and have to say that I really enjoyed it. The reader did a wonderful job and the writing was just as good. The book doesn't go into great details about certain major events and skips over others totally. Originally written in the 1950's I found this book to be very entertaining, the author has ...more
Caroline
This book is an enjoyable quick read, though possibly a little too quick. I felt it tried to cram too many years and events into too few pages and as a result it felt a little rushed with some important events barely touched upon. However, having not read anything about Eleanor of Aquitaine before, it worked quite well as an introduction to the subject and has made me interested to read more about her life.

3 stars - I liked it
Margaret
Jul 29, 2011 Margaret added it
Shelves: 2011
I thought this was a good book. I am relatively new to the Historical Fiction genre and I like the story to have a more human-interest angle than a history angle. I especially like stories about strong women, so this fit the bill. After reading this though, I realize that I do not know much at all about the Crusades.
Traci
Erica
A very enjoyable bok. Eleanor is portrayed as a strong woman who tries to be independent, unfortunately, being an heiress did not stop her becoming at the mercy of the men in her lives. She was treated in a bad way, and not shown the respect that she deserved.
This book makes me want to read more about Eleanor. It was very much a history, with some narrative thrown in along the way. The author glosses over several years in just a few sentences, so it can be difficult to get a good sense of character and story progression.

Darcy
I was introduced to a historical figure I knew nothing about, which I enjoyed, but I wasn't overly impressed by the writing. Too many times I found myself researching historical moments because I sensed a bias toward the main character.
 Linda (Miss Greedybooks)
I love this woman!
Courage is not a big enough word!
The story I know so well from so many other books - I just love it so much, the telling by another author is a way to read a cherished story over with different eyes.
Catherine
I acquiered this book from my mom's library years ago. I picked it up to read after seeing the new Robin Hood movie. It's a good, quick read that refreshed my love of early English/French history.
Sandie
fascinating story of Queen Eleanor, who was Queen of England some 500 years before Elizabeth I.
She surprisingly had a lot of power for a women during that period in time
Lpage1479 page
I enjoyed this historical novel about Eleanor of Aquitaine. It reminded me of the movie, the Lion in Winter. It's one of my favorite movies.
Stephanie
For some reason I really could not finish this book, no matter how hard I tried. Usually I like Lofts but 'Eleanor' was a miss for me.
da-wildchildz
I shall do it well.

Last line from Eleanor the Queen. Enjoyed this one. Eleanor seems to have lived an fascinating life.
Sheree Ross
I enjoyed this telling of Eleaner's life. I always thought she was a fascinating woman and this added to that thought.
Cdoefer
This book really whet my appetite for more on Eleanor. What happened next? Gotta find out!
Linda
Historical fiction about Eleanor of Aquitine and Henry II.
Amy
A bit rushed, but lovely nonetheless.
Sara W
Eleanor of Aquitaine
Sabrina Fulsom
Sabrina Fulsom marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Nadiya
Nadiya marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
  • Epitaph for Three Women (Plantagenet Saga, #12)
  • The Secret Eleanor
  • Queen Defiant: A Novel of Eleanor of Aquitaine
  • Within the Hollow Crown: A Reluctant King, a Desperate Nation, and the Most Misunderstood Reign in History
  • Harlot Queen
  • To the Tower Born: A Novel of the Lost Princes
195727
Also published using the pseudonyms Juliet Astley and Peter Curtis

Norah Lofts, née Norah Robinson, (27 August 1904–10 September 1983) was a 20th century best-selling British author. She wrote over fifty books specialising in historical fiction, but she also wrote non-fiction and short stories. Many of her novels, including her Suffolk Trilogy, follow the history of a specific house and the residen
More about Norah Lofts...
The Concubine Anne Boleyn The King's Pleasure The Town House (House, #1) The House at Old Vine (House, #2)