Start by marking “Eleanor the Queen” as Want to Read:
Eleanor the Queen

Eleanor the Queen

Eleanor is young, high-spirited, supremely intelligent, heiress to the vast Duchy of Aquitaine - at a time when a woman's value was measured in terms of wealth. Her vivid leadership inspired and dazzled those about her. And yet, born to rule, she was continually repressed and threatened by the men who overshadowed her life. This is the story of a brilliant, medieval figure ...more
Published January 9th 2007 by Tempus Publishing (first published 1955)

To ask other readers questions about Eleanor the Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eleanor the Queen

Erin Germain
Not a bad little read. It's a slim book, so I knew it would gloss over a lot of her life, but it still gave a sense of what a strong woman Eleanor was. I think I'd prefer an actual biography, but this was fun to "flesh out" some of the relationships and give you a chance to peek into what might have been going through her head, especially during the fifteen years she was in prison.
Heather
Sep 29, 2009 Heather rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
I really loved this book. I haven't read a historical fiction for a while and I had forgotten how much I love them. This book is based around fact. I love to learn about the history of Englands royals. It is a really fascinating read and written in a way that is easy to read without all the stuffyness of some factual books.
Mandy Moody
Nov 06, 2008 Mandy Moody rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book very much. I thought the story telling was exceptionally vivid, in addition to being very accurate.
Eleanor was such an amazing woman! From the crusades of her youth to her 15 year imprisonment as an old woman, her life was fascinating.
Rosemarie Short
Mar 30, 2013 Rosemarie Short rated it liked it
Shelves: historical
As my Mom has just said to me, while discussing this book over the kettle, "Norah Lofts is a poor man's Jean Plaidy" - and in terms of historical fiction she's right.
I'm reliably told that Lofts has written fiction which, whilst in the historical realm, are not based on actual, living breathing, written in the history books people. And that, again I am told, is very good. I can see why - Lofts has a flair for narrative which really draws you in. The only problem I had with Eleanor the Queen is
Alana White
Mar 14, 2012 Alana White rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers of Historical Fiction

Eleanor the Queen: A Novel of Eleanor of Aquitaine
by Norah Lofts
Touchstone/2010

First published a half-century ago, this reprint of Norah Lofts' story of one of history's most famous and powerful queens follows Eleanor from her marriage to the future king of France through her tempestuous marriage to King Henry II, her imprisonment at Henry's hands, and her eventual role as England's regent when her son, King Richard the Lion Heart, left Europe for Jerusalem on Crusade.

Fifteen at the time of her
Sandy
Nov 01, 2012 Sandy rated it really liked it
Eva
Aug 22, 2010 Eva rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a lovely rich novel which begins with the death of Eleanor's father while on a crusade. As the heiress of a valuable estate, she was quickly married off to the future king of France.

Trained to rule by her father, she attempted to help her husband, King Louis VII, but his advisers denigrated her and kept them apart. When the Archbishop wanted a new crusade, she circumvented him and led her knights and nobles on the crusade.

After 15 years, she and Louis only had daughters. Using the excu
Hannah Cobb
May 06, 2014 Hannah Cobb rated it liked it
As a chronology of the life and times of a famous woman, this book has it all: introductions for all the important historical figures, geographic and historic explanation of the politics, and a simple, straightforward narrative style that moves from key point to key point in Eleanor's life. As historical fiction, it falls seriously flat. It reads like a well-written history textbook interspersed with sections of blatantly information-filled dialogue. I was disappointed that Lofts made no real at ...more
Bon
An incredibly easy read, but ultimately disappointing. As eventful as Eleanor's life was, this book manages to skim over the truly interesting things and, instead, focuses on the mundane details of her life. Of the real historical events that were actually mentioned, the author succeeded in completely fictionalizing them and brushing them aside. I get that this is fiction, but if you're going to change these events, it'd be nice to at least make them interesting to read. And finally, the book en ...more
Alexandra
I had very high expectations for this historical novel, having heard that Lofts' novels about Anne Boleyn were among the best. Eleanor of Aquitaine is my favorite historical figure, so I figured I would enjoy it immensely. I was sadly disappointed. Lofts takes quite a few liberties with the life of Eleanor of Aquitaine, including inventing a betrothal and tragedy early in her life and creating a witch-burning scene later on, neither of which I found plausible at all. I did not find her character ...more
Margaret
I was a little leery starting this book. I've read about Eleanor's life by Sharon Kay Penman and Elizabeth Chadwick already so really did I need to read another one. I was able to grab the audible version and have to say that I really enjoyed it. The reader did a wonderful job and the writing was just as good. The book doesn't go into great details about certain major events and skips over others totally. Originally written in the 1950's I found this book to be very entertaining, the author has ...more
Caroline
This book is an enjoyable quick read, though possibly a little too quick. I felt it tried to cram too many years and events into too few pages and as a result it felt a little rushed, with some important events barely touched upon. However, having not read anything about Eleanor of Aquitaine before, it worked quite well as an introduction to the subject and has made me interested to read more about her life.

Margaret
Jul 29, 2011 Margaret added it
Shelves: 2011
I thought this was a good book. I am relatively new to the Historical Fiction genre and I like the story to have a more human-interest angle than a history angle. I especially like stories about strong women, so this fit the bill. After reading this though, I realize that I do not know much at all about the Crusades.
Dale
May 24, 2015 Dale rated it liked it
I read this book in high school and loved it. I read it again in college and loved it, as a pleasant escape from all the serious reading I was doing. And I just read it again and love it still. It's not a great book--you can read why in the many reviews already here, but it's a light, fun read about a historical figure who is truly fascinating.
Christie
I picked this book up because I love English royalty stories and have recently become enamored with Eleanor of Aquitaine. Sadly this was an extremely boring book. It was just a recounting of Eleanor's life with some invented dialogue thrown in. Read more like a lightly fictionalized biography than an actual novel. Not very impressed.
Darcy
Jan 14, 2010 Darcy rated it it was ok
I was introduced to a historical figure I knew nothing about, which I enjoyed, but I wasn't overly impressed by the writing. Too many times I found myself researching historical moments because I sensed a bias toward the main character.
Traci
Jul 08, 2011 Traci rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Bookowl1000
Jul 23, 2011 Bookowl1000 rated it really liked it
A very enjoyable bok. Eleanor is portrayed as a strong woman who tries to be independent, unfortunately, being an heiress did not stop her becoming at the mercy of the men in her lives. She was treated in a bad way, and not shown the respect that she deserved.
Christine
Aug 25, 2015 Christine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a fan of historical fiction and I liked how the author kept things moving quickly but gave enough detail to get a sense of being there. Eleanor lived a remarkable life and I found myself researching her to get the end of the story! Great read.
Dec 07, 2012 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book makes me want to read more about Eleanor. It was very much a history, with some narrative thrown in along the way. The author glosses over several years in just a few sentences, so it can be difficult to get a good sense of character and story progression.

Linda (Miss Greedybooks)
I love this woman!
Courage is not a big enough word!
The story I know so well from so many other books - I just love it so much, the telling by another author is a way to read a cherished story over with different eyes.
Paula
Sep 03, 2015 Paula rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading about this strong, fascinating and powerful woman. The author did a good job giving the reader a high level view of Eleanor's life. I was disappointed by the abrupt ending and wished it had continued into her next season of life.
Sandie
Jun 29, 2013 Sandie rated it really liked it
fascinating story of Queen Eleanor, who was Queen of England some 500 years before Elizabeth I.
She surprisingly had a lot of power for a women during that period in time
Scott
Oct 12, 2015 Scott rated it really liked it
REALLY enjoyed this book. Have always wanted to know more about this fabled woman. What a life! Well written and fascinating. I did always hear Katherine Hepburn in my head, though!
Sheree Ross
Jan 22, 2013 Sheree Ross rated it liked it
I enjoyed this telling of Eleaner's life. I always thought she was a fascinating woman and this added to that thought.
Peggie Ross
Mar 16, 2014 Peggie Ross rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this very much... so much so that I read it is 2 days and look forward to reading more by this author. I will also be looking for more information on Eleanor and her amazing life.
da-wildchildz
Jul 23, 2011 da-wildchildz rated it really liked it
I shall do it well.

Last line from Eleanor the Queen. Enjoyed this one. Eleanor seems to have lived an fascinating life.
Catherine
Jun 08, 2010 Catherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I acquiered this book from my mom's library years ago. I picked it up to read after seeing the new Robin Hood movie. It's a good, quick read that refreshed my love of early English/French history.
Anne
Aug 30, 2015 Anne rated it really liked it
A wonderful historical story about a great woman. Nora Lofts brings history to life. I would like to see her books back in print.
Anne
Lpage1479 page
Jul 20, 2012 Lpage1479 page rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this historical novel about Eleanor of Aquitaine. It reminded me of the movie, the Lion in Winter. It's one of my favorite movies.
  • Red Rose of Anjou (Plantagenet Saga, #13)
  • The Secret Eleanor
  • Duchess of Aquitaine: A Novel of Eleanor
  • Queen Defiant: A Novel of Eleanor of Aquitaine
  • The Passionate Brood
195727
Also published using the pseudonyms Juliet Astley and Peter Curtis

Norah Lofts, née Norah Robinson, (27 August 1904–10 September 1983) was a 20th century best-selling British author. She wrote over fifty books specialising in historical fiction, but she also wrote non-fiction and short stories. Many of her novels, including her Suffolk Trilogy, follow the history of a specific house and the residen
More about Norah Lofts...