Start by marking “Teen-Proofing: Fostering Responsible Decision Making in Your Teenager” as Want to Read:
Teen-Proofing: Fostering Responsible Decision Making in Your Teenager

Teen-Proofing: Fostering Responsible Decision Making in Your Teenager

John Rosemond is a renowned child psychologist who has helped millions of parents learn to raise their children and remain sane.

In Teen-Proofing, now available in paperback, he tackles the challenges of raising a teenager with his trademark user-friendly, humorous, and commonsense style. Rosemond lays out a perfectly sound and logical case for recognizing the realities of
Published September 5th 2000 by Andrews McMeel Publishing (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Teen-Proofing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Teen-Proofing

Colleen Reynolds
Apr 22, 2009 Colleen Reynolds rated it it was amazing
While I agree that Rosemond can seem a bit condescending, I think it's mostly it's part of his plan to get people to lighten up about themselves a little. I found this book amazing and am anxious for my husband to read it so that we can be on the same page. We happen to be blessed so far with a teenager with a sunny personality and good behavior. We're not stupid and think she's going to remain perfect, but this book gives practical advice. I was able to utilize some of his tactics tonight. She ...more
Jon
Jul 18, 2012 Jon rated it it was amazing
Oh, how I wish I had picked up John Rosemond when he was recommended to me over ten years ago! I'm extremely grateful I didn't wait any longer. This book contains not only a great deal of good sense and very practical advice for the parents of teens and pre-teens, but also a huge dose of humor. Rosemond invented the term "tweenager" (which has now entered the vernacular as tween) and tells astonishing stories of helping teens gain a great deal of freedom by becoming responsible and reliable, wel ...more
Tony Whittum
Oct 22, 2010 Tony Whittum rated it really liked it
As a parent who has had a reputation for being a bit of a softy this is an outstanding book for parents with "tweens" and teens!

Exactly the right book for the right time (for me)!

It spoke to me loudly as a parent who realizes that he can no longer be a softie and teach his teenage son (now) how to better deal with the "real life" situations that are coming in just a few short years.

While the secondary line in the title (Fostering Responsible Decision Making in Your Teenager) isn't as attention
Crabbygirl
Jul 26, 2016 Crabbygirl rated it did not like it
the title of this book looked promising: your teen making their own decisons but the book fell short of REALLY letting them; it was more of a discipline-in-advance system.

like he says to buy your teen a car and pay the bills for 3 months but then they have to take care of the payments (and keep their grades up) or you'll sell the car. (that's why YOU buy the car - so you can sell it). BUT he also uses taking the car away as a disciplinary action for other things and selling a car can only be do
Amy
Mar 02, 2010 Amy rated it really liked it
Thank you to the person who recommended this book - I think either Dana or Kim? Anyway, I really enjoyed it. It is an older book, so some of the material seems just a bit dated, but it certainly doesn't impact the underlying content.

It definitely falls into the "tough love" category of parenting books. In fact, if you don't lean towards the "suck it up" philosophy of parenting, this book could be a real turn-off. It is also christian-based, but not to a degree that isn't fairly easily overlooke
Cynthia
Feb 27, 2010 Cynthia rated it liked it
Shelves: parenting
I was surprised to find this book interesting & thought provoking. Rosemond seems much more reasonable in his approach to teenagers than to younger children. He seems to have developed his theories about child-parent relationships WHILE his children were teenagers which perhaps explains why his theories about toddlers seem based in an alternate universe.

His suggestions for parents of teenagers boil down to this: give them freedom AND responsibility, in a carefully outlined plan. (For instanc
Oct 17, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it
This came across my Kindle for free with great reviews. I've read some of Rosemond's columns in the paper and was ready for most of his approach to parenting teens, though I was a bit surprised by just how Biblically-based his views and motivations are. I skipped over that and found many fabulous gems. I love Rosemond's reminders that the teens are the time to allow kids to make mistakes. I love his non-emotional responses to teens' mistakes and some of their silly attitudes and over-reactions, ...more
Nancy
Mar 05, 2009 Nancy rated it liked it
A year or two ago, my husband and I attended one of the author's seminars and received a copy of this book. With a 13 year old exhibiting classic "teen" behavior at times, I decided to see what he had to say on the matter. First off, I found the author's tone condescending, his humor unfunny and his writing unpolished and too wordy. That said, he offers interesting insights into a teen's behavior and suggestions for parents of teens. Basically, he recommends that today's parents should return to ...more
Kimberly
Jun 22, 2016 Kimberly rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
Much to parents' chagrin, children do not come with manuals when born.

There are millions of books available on parenting with seemingly a million philosophies.

It is often frustrating to find yourself at a point in parenting when you simply cannot figure out which way to go when guiding your adolescent(s). As it turns out, the values my husband and I have toward parenting and family goals match those of John Rosemond; Mr. Rosemond speaks a language my husband and I happen to understand and agre
Lauren
May 27, 2009 Lauren rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend this book - especially to read it before your kids become "tweenagers". What is taught goes along with the Plan of Salvation. We cannot force our children to obey - "not even God can make his children obey". We need to let them make their choices and then help them learn from their mistakes by poviding the needed discipline when that time comes. I learned that I tend to micromanage my children and need to learn to let up so I don't make matters worse. I like that he doesn't go ...more
Shana
May 06, 2008 Shana rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Parents of teenagers
This book was v. helpful in learning how to parent a teenager. I started parenting this teen when he was 13. He was 15 when I checked this book out of the library. I didn't use everything in the book but I have implemented many things and it has truly made ALL the difference. The way I found this book among the many teenager parenting books was through John Rosemond's column. He writes a syndicated parenting column. I can't recommend it enough especially if you are spending more time arguing abo ...more
Tricia Culp
Sep 03, 2015 Tricia Culp rated it it was amazing
In this very readable book, Rosemond lays out a plan for parents of tween and teen to walk the line between micromanaging your teen and completely letting go and disengaging. His solution, a lot of freedom (earned) coupled with responsibility. It was very helpful for me in making the mental shift between parenting a child and parenting a teen. Like all books of this type, I don't agree with everything, but I highly recommend it.
Julie
Apr 28, 2010 Julie rated it liked it
Good ideas in here. I agree in general principle with what Rosemond says, just wish he'd tone down the religion a bit. Big thing I got out of this: start early. The Teen Proofing title seems appropriate for when you have teenagers, which I do, but really it's designed to be read when they're pre-teens. Some of his techniques require a level of discipline in one' adult self that is over the line for me, and I think for most parents.
Mary Jordan
Jun 26, 2011 Mary Jordan rated it it was amazing
Am learning a lot from this book. How NOT to micromanage my teen, which is so counterproductive to what I am trying to achieve and how to give them enough rope (freedom) to either succeed or hang themselves with.

Finished this book, I highly recommend it to parents, read it when they are still in early teens to get the most benefit.
Alicia
Oct 17, 2012 Alicia rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents of preteens and teenagers
2007:
I skipped a lot that didn't apply, but also found some great ideas and perspectives.

_____________________________________________________________

2012: I heard Mr. Rosemond speak last month, so wanted to reread this book. I like his suggestions for giving consequences for teens' misbehavior, without micromanaging and without getting into arguments. I needed these reminders...
Jim Tincher
Dec 27, 2009 Jim Tincher rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It had great advice, talking about the importance of not giving your kids those things we always feel that we should. Conversely, it also talked about letting kids have the rope they need - but having significant consequences for making bad decisions. I highly recommend this book!
Melissa
Aug 18, 2009 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Melissa by: Lauren Schneider
This was recommended by my sister, who also picked it up to get some help.

Rosemond doesn't promise life will be peachy, but he gives tools to help parents teach their teens responsibility for their own actions.
Margaret
Mar 23, 2007 Margaret rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: parents
As parent of a teenager, I found this book empowering. It restored my perspective on said uncooperative teenager, and pointed me to far more creative (and appropriate) consequences. I review sections of it with new challenges.
Jaime Contreras
Oct 20, 2016 Jaime Contreras rated it really liked it
This is just plain fun and common sense lessons! I thoroughly enjoyed this humorous but so truthful a spin on raising your teenagers to be logical and responsible. Although this seems like an impossible task, it is laid out in a way that it is possible. Read it with a smile!
Valerie
One of the most practical books I have ever read on handling the teen years. No psycho-babble, just straightforward advice from the trenches. Exactly what I needed! My only regret is not reading it sooner, since my kids are already 13 and 17.
Heather
Sep 10, 2011 Heather rated it liked it
Good practical advice, moderately entertaining author (just a little too impressed with himself, alas), and at times too religious for my tastes. That said, I did get some actual new ideas for dealing with this stage of parenting, and reassurance about some decisions we've already made.
Engranon
Mar 12, 2014 Engranon rated it really liked it
Quick read (tip: skip the Q&A bits as those are full of questionable humor and much of the tone referred to in reviews). There are some good nuggets in here, but you have to wade past quite a bit of religious opinionating. If you can skip this, you can find some good ideas here.
Bridget
Apr 22, 2010 Bridget rated it it was amazing
I am reading this book for the THIRD time in a month! Anyone with teenagers can appreciate the common sense approach to parenting a child who thinks they are a grown up already....I wish I would have has this book 5 years ago....
Linda
Jul 23, 2012 Linda rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
Heard John Rosemond speak at a homeschooling convention last month. Loved his message so much that I went to two more sessions. His practical, no-nonsense approach to parenting teens is antithetical to the worldly hogwash we're used to hearing. Refreshing and transforming!
rachel
Apr 29, 2011 rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
I love this guy's approach. So no-nonsense. But I still think I need him to come over to my house and do it for me.
Karrie
Jan 25, 2015 Karrie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good Advice

Some info in the book is a bit dated but most of it is solid advice, easily applicable.
Lost a star because I really dislike the writing style.
Kim
Oct 26, 2009 Kim rated it really liked it
Despite my obvious problems with his theology and politics (e.g. feminism), he has some incredibly useful and workable solutions to parenting issues. He makes a lot of sense, and his ideas work!
Becca
Jun 05, 2011 Becca rated it liked it
Great Advice for Strong Parents who back each other up and are a team. Single Parents..??? Well, Ill let you know.
Sue Tincher
Mar 16, 2010 Sue Tincher rated it really liked it
A good book about raising teenagers--I learned how to foster responsibility in teens by rejecting the tendency to either micromanage or be my child's friend.
Maelyse
Oct 02, 2013 Maelyse rated it it was amazing
I read this after hearing John Rosemund speak at MUS. This is a really great parenting book for parents of teens!
  • Parenting Today's Adolescent: Helping Your Child Avoid the Traps of the Preteen and Teen Years
  • An Expose on Teen Sex and Dating: What's Really Going On and How to Talk About It
  • Autism's Hidden Blessings:  Discovering God's Promises for Autistic Children and Their Families
  • Yes, Your Teen is Crazy!: Loving Your Kid Without Losing Your Mind
  • One Word That Will Change Your Life
  • Allies and Enemies: How the World Depends on Bacteria
  • Preparing for Adolescence
  • Two Wars: One Hero's Fight on Two Fronts--Abroad and Within
  • Complete Without Kids: An Insider's Guide to Childfree Living by Choice or Chance
  • No Better Place to Die: Ste. Mere-Eglise, June 1944: The Battle for La Fiere Bridge
  • Let's Go Europe 2011: The Student Travel Guide
  • Your Ten to Fourteen Year Old
  • Miseducation: Preschoolers at Risk
  • Dude, You're Gonna Be a Dad!: How to Get (Both of You) Through the Next 9 Months
  • Stupid Things Parents Do to Mess Up Their Kids