Start by marking “How to Think Like a Great Graphic Designer” as Want to Read:
How to Think Like a Great Graphic Designer

How to Think Like a Great Graphic Designer

3.95  ·  Rating Details ·  1,326 Ratings  ·  59 Reviews
Take a peek inside the heads of some of the world’s greatest living graphic designers. How do they think, how do they connect to others, what special skills do they have? In honest and revealing interviews, nineteen designers, including Stefan Sagmeister, Michael Beirut, David Carson, and Milton Glaser, share their approaches, processes, opinions, and thoughts about their ...more
Published October 30th 2007 by Allworth Press

To ask other readers questions about How to Think Like a Great Graphic Designer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Think Like a Great Graphic Designer

Bruce Green
Jun 26, 2009 Bruce Green rated it it was amazing
This book contains a collection of interviews of graphic designers conducted by fellow designer Debbie Millman.
As a designer doing a lot of web developing recently, reading this book is a perfect anodyne for those times when I hit a wall coding. I've met several of the subjects Debbie interviews but my brief intro's and questions only provided a glimpse of who they are. What's nice is that she infuses such shared experience and knowledge into each question that it brings out those responses I wa
Nelson Zagalo
Mar 17, 2015 Nelson Zagalo rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Debbie Millman was able to build an highly enjoyable journey through the minds of celebrated designers. We get to understand how they think, what motivates them, what makes them anger, fear, content and happy.
If you want to be a designer, this book is obligatory. If you want to know how a mind of a designer works, read this book. If you want a glimpse on the creative thought, its challenges, concerns, disruptions, deficiencies as its marvels, read this book.

More in my blog (PT) - http://virtual
Megan
Jan 25, 2009 Megan rated it really liked it
This was not only a great read as a graphic designer (finding insight into some fantastically talented creative minds), but also a thoughtful journey into what vocation means...how we are called to some tasks and find pleasure in them. This book made me think a lot about what I love and what I want to do and learn more about and pursue. It was creatively inspiring without being a myopic designer's book--I felt less torn about wanting to do a million things and being interested in everything. I a ...more
Michael
Dec 28, 2010 Michael rated it liked it
Shelves: design
As other reviewers have pointed out, a more appropriate, if maybe not as sales-worthy title for this book would be, "Thoughts of the Great Graphic Designers". It contains a series of interviews with the some of the most recognizable names in graphic design - this is not a how-to book! Still, if you take the contents of the interviews to heart, I think there's a lot of inspiration anyone can take away.

My review would be more positive except for the few interviews that wound up being conducted by
Skyler Vander Molen
Feb 15, 2012 Skyler Vander Molen rated it it was ok
Shelves: art-design
While a book of interviews wasn't what I expected when I originally bought it, this book was ok. There are some real gems in here. The funny thing is in almost every single case, whether or not I a particular interview had nothing to do with the person being interviewed or what they said, but how the interview was conducted. Almost every interview conducted via email felt flat and lifeless. The ones done in person came to life and engaged me. I realize it's not always possible to conduct in pers ...more
Igor
Dec 10, 2012 Igor rated it it was amazing
Insightful!
David
I recently saw a great exhibit called the HAPPY SHOW at the Chicago Cultural Center. The exhibit was the work of graphic designer Stefan Sagmeister depicting recent research about the nature of happiness. A couple of the primary lessons I took from it was that besides from the death of a child and having a relative with alzheimers happiness is not related substantially to external circumstances. Also after about $80,000 dollars per year the basic contentment and happiness of an individual does n ...more
Jaycruz Cruz
Jan 25, 2013 Jaycruz Cruz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
As a brand new Graphic Design student specializing in Interactive Design, this book has been a great introduction to who's who in the industry. With the exception of maybe Massimo Vignelli and some of the other people that appeared on the film Helvetica, I had no idea who most of these people were. As a matter of fact, my first assignment for my Graphic Design Essentials class was to pick a designer from a list. I picked Stefan Sagmeister without really knowing that much about him, except that h ...more
Todd
Dec 01, 2009 Todd rated it really liked it
Shelves: design, art
While frequently an exercise in navel gazing, which at least Chip Kidd denigrates in his interview, the book provides some validation for a series of creative bromides. Namely:

* hard work is the only path to success, but no guarantee
* many times the only way to know if something is good is to know its finished
* many times the only way to know if something is finished is when you run out of time (about 1/2 the interviewees felt this way)
* being principled about the clients and project you take on
Brian Behm
Dec 26, 2012 Brian Behm rated it really liked it
While it was reassuring reading that so many great designers exhibit tendencies and neuroses that are familiar to me it was also a little distressing hearing meticulously detailed philosophies on some designers work and how it should be done and then comparing it to my own methodology which is much more instinctual and less able to be articulated. I suppose it's a reminder that I need to be able to better articulate my philosophies.

The interviews kind of blended together after
a while. As much a
Melanie
Jun 05, 2008 Melanie rated it it was amazing
Don't judge this book by it's cover and assume this little gem is going to tell you how to become some great graphic designer. Millman's collection of interviews with some of the greatest graphic designers alive today gives us an inside little peek into what they believe in, how they process design, their first creative moments and their biggest influences in design. All while revealing a bit of their personalities (along with some of their greatest strategies). If you're a designer like myself ...more
Don ツ
Oct 16, 2014 Don ツ rated it really liked it
Sesekali baca buku non-fiction best gak!
Sesi dialog dengan Massimo Vignelli, beliau menangis bila ditanya;

When was the last time you cried?

& ia kerana beliau kehilangan seorang teman. Alan Fletcher [penulis buku The Art of Looking Sideways<-- terus ambil buku ni kat rak dan buka, menarik sebab ambil masa 18 tahun nak tulis. Tak sangka penulisnya dah takda]

--dan sesi temuramah dengan graphic designer yang lain.
Tetiba, macam nak jadi seorang GD.

Pastinya, buku ni menarik sebab cara orang '
Saleh
Nov 17, 2015 Saleh rated it it was ok
My star rating for this book is for the medium, and not the content. I enjoy and find the "Design Matters" podcast with Debbie's own and the interviewee's own voice much more interesting, entertaining, lively, and engaging.
I myself don't find interview books to be a competitive fit in the presence of recordings and video. It's somewhat disappointing in fact. I would expect that Debbie, with all the interviews she conducted about design, should be very aware of the importance of the right communi
Emily
Jan 23, 2012 Emily rated it liked it
Shelves: single, art, school
See full review here

I was required to read this for a class of mine, but it surprised me. The book features, simply, interviews with a number of well-known designers (or if you don’t know of them, and you are a designer - get to know them!) I expected to hear much of the same throughout the interviews but every designer in this book offers such unique perspectives, styles, and introspective into this field and how to manage it financially, ethically, and personally. Design is an art, and these a
Marc
Feb 22, 2011 Marc rated it really liked it
There's some really fantastic advice in here for any creative. Bring a highlighter with you when you read it. My Kindle app shows that I've made over 120 notes and marks in this book.

For the most part, the interviews are with people who are paid to put a special focus on identifying problems that can only be solved through the application of intuition. And the remarks on intuition are varied and fascinating.

The author spends a lot of time threading her personal experience through the book, which
Gary
Sep 24, 2016 Gary rated it really liked it
This is one of those books that spins you into more research, more reading, more digging.

I liked reading the interviews for the designers I already knew about. I was intrigued to learn about the ones I wasn't familiar with.

The quality of the interviews seems to vary a great deal. It's obvious when some of them a clearly written correspondence and others are more natural language and the conversation flows into unintended areas—the unintended were more interesting.

I've always enjoyed Debbie Millm
kelly
Sep 06, 2013 kelly rated it liked it
I'd rather watch or listen to these interviews than read them. There were so many instances I found myself wondering exactly how they said that, or what the look on their face was, what their energy and mannerisms were like.
The Milton Glaser interview was most interesting to me. It's the only one I copied quotes from. The rest start to blend together and just serve as a reminder that yes, everyone thinks differently, there's no one right way to do it, and the paths to so-called greatness are ma
Kent Winward
Oct 23, 2013 Kent Winward rated it liked it
I enjoyed this exercise in going to an area which I really have no affinity other than enjoying and being fascinated by book covers. I was surprised at the similarities between the writing and graphic design world. There also seemed to be a lot of cross over and I was intrigued by how the different artists approached their work and dealt with the inherent paradox of art versus commercial. The presence of the audience is front and center in graphic design, maybe it should be in every art form.
Abby
May 31, 2013 Abby rated it it was amazing
Shelves: design, nonfiction
Loved this book even though it took me forever to read it all. I'm not a non-fiction person, but the bite-sized interviews were fantastic to sit down and read one or two at a time. I purchased the book after reading about half of it and I think I'll want to go back and re-read and, although I usually don't write in books, underline, make notes, really digest it. Things take a few reads to really get in your bones and there are so many gems of affirming thoughts in here that make me feel like I d ...more
Eric
Sep 07, 2010 Eric rated it really liked it
Admittedly, I haven't really connected to the live radio show interviews of design glitterati the author conducts, but these print interviews (whether culled from the radio show or not) are indispensable for young and seasoned designers alike. Peter Saville's insightful, cerebral, and ultimately cynical comments are worth the price of the book alone, even if they might leave the most optimistic of designers thinking much less of their craft.
Ida
Dec 25, 2007 Ida rated it really liked it
This book was an impulse buy after receiving some less than hopefully feedback at design school. The interviews with top graphic designers reveal the varied personalities and strategies behind great design. Some interesting themes that came up include pessimism with design's place in relation to advertising, lack of confidence in evaluating one's own work, and the question of weather graphic design is art or not.
Bek
Aug 14, 2013 Bek rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
Interesting, but fairly self indulgent for designers to read. Some interviews are better than others but the format became stale after a 6 or 7 interviews. Made the design world seem super tiny + impossible to be successful in unless you know this core group of people ... Or maybe she only interviewed her friends. I have a general dislike for Stefan Sagmeister, so I did really ready his interview.
Salem
Jan 03, 2011 Salem rated it really liked it
Shelves: design
A very entertaining quick read. It’ll grab you.

Design Matters, the radio show in which Debbie Millman interviews designers and design-related figures, is always inspiring. In print, the interviews are more structured, losing a bit of the show’s spontaneity, but still as fascinating.

Also, Michael Beirut is the man.
James Mason
May 03, 2016 James Mason rated it it was ok
Moderately interesting interviews with graphic designers. I learned a little but not as much as I'd hoped for a book of this length. There were some interesting stories. The interview style was good. The one common thread for many of the interviewees was the "need to do something different in each project" and the insecurity of repeating themselves as "creative people".
Nika Pika
Sep 18, 2016 Nika Pika rated it it was amazing
Kelly Ashworth
Jan 31, 2010 Kelly Ashworth rated it liked it
Great insights, but this book borderlines on the cliché with all but one designer droning on about the "horrible" state of the industry. The title is a bit misleading - you're not going to learn about process per se. But altogether very cool to get inside the heads of some of todays most prolific designers.
Roberto
Jan 07, 2014 Roberto rated it it was amazing
This is not a how-to book, but a compilation of interviews with renowned designers. The questions asked are related to the designer’s life, career, and design in general. Is a privilege to be able to get a snoop into these great thinkers' minds and learn from their experiences. This book is an insightful, brief, and easy read for those interested in graphic design.
Margaret Fleming
Sep 02, 2009 Margaret Fleming rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any creative
This book, as Malcolm Gladwell writes in his cover blog, is not really about design. Except it is, insofar as juggling creativity with business and how a star draws a line that allows him to continue the business without lowering the bar. It inspires me, and it let me learn about the credo of greats like Massimo Vignelli.
Maple
Feb 15, 2013 Maple rated it it was ok
Shelves: design
Title is misleading, I wish it were named "Interviews with Influential Graphic Designers." With that mentality, I wouldn't have expected to learn how to think like a great graphic designer. It was interesting to read and learn about graphic designers, but that wasn't the reason why I picked up the book.
Ravi
Jun 26, 2008 Ravi rated it really liked it
Very honest, open interviews with the world's top graphic designers. Not really about graphic design, but the challenges in remaining creative, using business to inspire, and elevating the practice. And shows a fair amount of crazy through the interview, which is pretty interesting stuff. Even the very first interview - with Michael Beirut - is worth the book.
  • 79 Short Essays on Design
  • How to be a Graphic Designer Without Losing Your Soul
  • 100 Ideas That Changed Graphic Design
  • Make It Bigger
  • Graphic Artist's Guild Handbook Pricing & Ethical Guidelines
  • Grid Systems in Graphic Design/Raster Systeme Fur Die Visuele Gestaltung (German and English Edition)
  • Making and Breaking the Grid: A Graphic Design Layout Workshop
  • The New Typography
  • Thoughts on Design
  • Things I Have Learned In My Life So Far
  • The Design of Dissent: Socially and Politically Driven Graphics
Debbie Millman is an American writer, educator, artist, and designer who is perhaps best known as the host of the Design Observer podcast 'Design Matters'. She is 'President of Design' at Sterling Brands, based in New York City, working with brands such as Pepsi, Gillette, Colgate, Kimberly-Clark, Nestlé, and Campbells. She chairs the 'Masters in Branding' program at the School of Visual Arts, is ...more
More about Debbie Millman...

“Design is one of the few disciplines that is a science as well as an art. Effective, meaningful design requires intellectual, rational rigor along with the ability to elicit emotions and beliefs. Thus, designers must balance both the logic and lyricism of humanity every time they design something, a task that requires a singularly mysterious skill.” 6 likes
“if you perceive the universe as being a universe of abundance, then it will be. If you think of the universe as one of scarcity, then it will be.” 1 likes