Start by marking “Ancient Rome (DK Eyewitness Books)” as Want to Read:
Ancient Rome (DK Eyewitness Books)

Ancient Rome (DK Eyewitness Books)

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  347 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Full-color photos. "An excellent glossy catalogue of entertaining information about a civilization of antiquity. Family life, household effects, cosmetics, sports, children's dress and games--all these and more are on display in eye-filling spreads. Either read chronologically or browsed through, each page offers up a sterling visual feast guaranteed to spur discussion and ...more
Hardcover, with CDROM and Poster, 72 pages
Published June 30th 2008 by DK Children (first published January 1st 1960)

To ask other readers questions about Ancient Rome, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ancient Rome

Kelly H. (Maybedog)
Mar 15, 2016 Kelly H. (Maybedog) rated it really liked it
This is an unusual book in that it's accompanied by a cd of clip art that really only complements it rather than taking from it. What i mean is that the book is a typical DK Eyewitness book, heavy on pictures to go with the informative text. The disk that goes with it is organized according to the same sections, but the pictures in the book are rarely on the cd-rom and the cd images are rarely in the book, at least not in the same sections. I looked and looked.

I love this series because it make
Olethros
-Vistazo general pero bonito de contemplar.-

Género. Historia.

Lo que nos cuenta. Breve aproximación gráfica y visual a la Antigua Roma pero dejando bastante de lado lo propiamente histórico y acercándose a lo más religioso, familiar, social y lúdico.

¿Quiere saber más de este libro, sin spoilers? Visite:

Julesmarie
Not my favorite of the DK Eyewitness books, but still a good resource. I mostly use this with my students for the pages on Ancient Roman food, nice images there.
Leah Sidell
One of the eyewitness books called, Ancient Rome describes the land,people and history of one of the worlds most fascinating civilizations. A fun literacy activity to do that incorporates this book is by having students learn about the myth of Romulus and Remus that is talked about in this book. The students can look the different between a myth and a fact. To learn literacy student can practice their writing skills by creating their own myth of how Rome was founded or they can change the myth a ...more
Steven Peterson
Jul 11, 2009 Steven Peterson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The New York Times said of this volume: "Ancient Rome is another in the superb Eyewitness Books reference series for young people. Interesting, informative text combined with lots of great color photos bring the Roman Empire to life. . . . A great addition to a young historian's bookshelf." And I think that The New York Times has it right. I recently rediscovered a series of these works (published in the late 1980s and early 1990s, it appears) that I had purchased for my son a decade or more ago ...more
Halle Bentley
Ancient Rome
By: Simon James
63 Pages
Informational/ Non-Fiction

Have you ever wondered about the mysterious Ancient Rome? Have you ever wondered what it was like to live there? It sure was a unique time in our history and we have made many developments based off of their inventions and ideas. For example, in Roman theater, women played the roles of men. Women still act as men today. Rich Romans had an interesting life style that every Roman would want. They usually owned two homes which were probab
Adam A.
Ancient Rome is about how the ancient Romans lived, worked, battled, what they believed in, and more. Ancient Rome started out as a little city-state and then went on to take over Italy and then some of Africa. By them taking over more and more land, they eventually became a very strong republic. They became a republic after they drove out the wicked king. Civil Wars broke out and eventually, the republic crumbled and then they had emperors rule them. Rome had one of the best military's of tha ...more
Jul 11, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: social-studies
Explore Ancient Rome through government, wars, society, homes, jobs, entertainment, academics, religion and much more.

New Mexico Social Studies Standards:

- Strand: History; Content Standard I; 5-8 Benchmark 1-A New Mexico; Grade 6; 1
- Strand: History; Content Standard I; 5-8 Benchmark 1-B United States; Grade 6; 1
- Strand: History; Content Standard I; 5-8 Benchmark 1-C World; Grade 6; 5
- Strand: Geography; Content Standard II; 5-8 Benchmark 2-B; Grade 6
- Strand: Geography; Content Standard II; 5
Lauryn Carroll
Oct 21, 2014 Lauryn Carroll rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun book for grade school kids. There are a lot of pictures of real ancient artifacts that help children understand what they are learning about in social studies. It is very informative and gives students a lot of information in a concise way. They don't have to read every word, but just the ones beneath the pictures that intrigue them. They can also relate to many of the ways of life and inventions of Ancient Rome. Many kids find this era fascinating so it is a good book for them.
Saul
Apr 17, 2011 Saul rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A put Ancient Rome on the 'Historical book' section.

I decided too read this because I had to do an assignment for Social Studies and I read that too back up my infomation.

I liked this book because there ways in the older days were harder then today and the way the did stuff we do were really cool.

What I didn't really like about this book is that it didn't make much sense for me and I didn't really understand some of the terms used in the book.

I learnt a little bit about the Roman times and how
Nicole Clark
Feb 28, 2014 Nicole Clark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buy-me, febuary
This book is a great introduction into what the life was back in Rome. It shows what they had for cloths and tools. It has a wonderful description next to the picture. This book would be a great for a book report and a short presentation. This book is great for the ones that love history and are into the that a young age. This book is all around amazing.
Timothy Boyd
Jan 27, 2016 Timothy Boyd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OK I know these are supposed to be kid books but they are awesome! Great pictures and just enough text to make you want to learn more. Great choices for a beginning history reader or to start an older reader out in a new area. Every time I pick one of these up and read it I learn new things. Highly Recommended
Abe
May 24, 2016 Abe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I recommend this book for you to read. It is non-fiction so it might be boring at first but it is a great book. you learn about pomppi and the great volcano. it is a fun non-fiction book that is fun to learn about!
Juliet
Nov 18, 2015 Juliet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 03-informational
Okay, this book was really cool! I loved reading these book growing and I just think the pictures and information are so fascinating. Definitely a fun and informational read!
Andrew Ives
Jul 24, 2015 Andrew Ives rated it really liked it
Pretty comprehensive book that ties in well with the Ancient Greece I read recently. The proofreading is near faultless, the choice and variety of illustrations are eye-catching and informative. Well recommended, especially at the price of 25p I paid for it.
Parker
I recommend that you should read this book it is a non-fiction so you learn a lot it is a fun non-fiction book. I recommend 3 grader and up to read this book
Noor Elyana
May 10, 2016 Noor Elyana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book i can learn more about ancient and rome.
Tanner Mendelson
This picture book does an excellent job for the social studies teacher of documenting ancient Rome and the people who lived there. It displays actual pictures of artifacts and a short description of that artifact. For example, if a social studies teacher wanted to discuss "Gladiators," then the teacher could turn to page 30 and show the students a picture of an artifact of a small shield or a bronze helmet. These pictures give interesting descriptions of the artifact and how they may have been u ...more
Nicole
May 22, 2013 Nicole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Teachers, students, anyone with an interest in history.
DK Eyewitness books are a treasure themselves. Packed with quality photographs of historical artefacts and information that makes history live, Ancient Rome serves both to whet the appetite and as a valuable research tool for students. In assessing a large number of books for usefulness to year 7 students' research projects, this book was rated highly by the whole teaching team. The glossary and list of suggestions for further relevant books and sites adds to its value for students.
Timothy
Jul 23, 2011 Timothy rated it it was ok
Informative with plenty of pictures. However, I felt that this book wasn't as effective in giving an idea of how the Romans actually lived in their society as other junior history books on the Romans does. I guess an analogy would be a children's history book on our era only having pictures of iPods, TVs, game consoles, without really getting into a general detail as to how they lived with all these items.
Sandy (WI girl at heart)
Good book for younger people. Basic facts and photos from the world of Ancient Rome. Well written for the group of folks it was most likely written for. Simple in nature but very well written, especially if love to learn about the past like I do.

Would I read it again: no but I would just for the beautiful photos in it. Would I recommend it to others: you bet I would.
Duane
May 28, 2011 Duane rated it really liked it
You just can't go wrong with DK books. The kids love the bold photographs and illustrations, and parents love the information they provide. This volume focuses on Ancient Rome. It does a great job of showing everyday things, military items, beliefs, and so much more. A great book to add to your youth nonfiction collection.
Regina Hunter
Aug 31, 2011 Regina Hunter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*Crying* I burrowed this one from the library, some very kind person cut off at least 10 pages of pictures... THERE IS GOOGLE PRINT IT OUT IF YOU NEED IT BADLY!!!!!!!!!!
Theresa
pictures and drawings and information relating to how people lived, loved, and worshiped in ancient rome/
Dawn
Dec 30, 2012 Dawn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-with-a-kid
Read with my 7 year old sponge. She love love loves this series of books.
Steve Jones
Steve Jones rated it liked it
May 22, 2016
Msbookworm
Msbookworm marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
HSMomaNap
HSMomaNap marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
Goodreads Librari...: Publishing info needs fixing 3 16 Nov 20, 2013 08:46AM
  • Ancient Greece
  • Ancient Egypt
  • Arms & Armor
  • Medieval Life
  • Dinosaur (DK Eyewitness)
  • Pirate
  • Rocks & Minerals (Eyewitness Books)
  • Knight
  • Crystal & Gem
  • Aztec, Inca, and Maya
  • Ancient China (Eyewitness Books)
  • City: A Story of Roman Planning and Construction
  • World War II
  • 1621: A New Look at Thanksgiving
  • Rome
  • Dog
  • Who Were the Romans?
  • The Greek News
Simon James is the award-winning author-illustrator of many children’s books, including such favorites as DEAR GREENPEACE, LEON AND BOB, and the Baby Brains series. His stories often concern a child’s relationship with the natural world. Simon James lives in England.
More about Simon James...