Start by marking “Ancient Rome (DK Eyewitness Books)” as Want to Read:
Ancient Rome (DK Eyewitness Books)

Ancient Rome (DK Eyewitness Books)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  221 ratings  ·  17 reviews
The most trusted nonfiction series on the market, Eyewitness Books provide an in-depth, comprehensive look at their subjects with a unique integration of words and pictures.

DK's classic look at Ancient Rome, now reissued with a CD and wall chart.

Book Details: Format: Hardcover Publication Date: 6/30/2008 Pages: 72 Reading Level: Age 8 and Up
Hardcover, with CDROM and Poster, 72 pages
Published June 30th 2008 by DK CHILDREN (first published January 1st 1960)

To ask other readers questions about Ancient Rome, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ancient Rome

Leah Sidell
One of the eyewitness books called, Ancient Rome describes the land,people and history of one of the worlds most fascinating civilizations. A fun literacy activity to do that incorporates this book is by having students learn about the myth of Romulus and Remus that is talked about in this book. The students can look the different between a myth and a fact. To learn literacy student can practice their writing skills by creating their own myth of how Rome was founded or they can change the myth a ...more
Steven Peterson
The New York Times said of this volume: "Ancient Rome is another in the superb Eyewitness Books reference series for young people. Interesting, informative text combined with lots of great color photos bring the Roman Empire to life. . . . A great addition to a young historian's bookshelf." And I think that The New York Times has it right. I recently rediscovered a series of these works (published in the late 1980s and early 1990s, it appears) that I had purchased for my son a decade or more ago ...more
Halle Bentley
Ancient Rome
By: Simon James
63 Pages
Informational/ Non-Fiction

Have you ever wondered about the mysterious Ancient Rome? Have you ever wondered what it was like to live there? It sure was a unique time in our history and we have made many developments based off of their inventions and ideas. For example, in Roman theater, women played the roles of men. Women still act as men today. Rich Romans had an interesting life style that every Roman would want. They usually owned two homes which were probab
Adam A.
Ancient Rome is about how the ancient Romans lived, worked, battled, what they believed in, and more. Ancient Rome started out as a little city-state and then went on to take over Italy and then some of Africa. By them taking over more and more land, they eventually became a very strong republic. They became a republic after they drove out the wicked king. Civil Wars broke out and eventually, the republic crumbled and then they had emperors rule them. Rome had one of the best military's of tha ...more
Explore Ancient Rome through government, wars, society, homes, jobs, entertainment, academics, religion and much more.

New Mexico Social Studies Standards:

- Strand: History; Content Standard I; 5-8 Benchmark 1-A New Mexico; Grade 6; 1
- Strand: History; Content Standard I; 5-8 Benchmark 1-B United States; Grade 6; 1
- Strand: History; Content Standard I; 5-8 Benchmark 1-C World; Grade 6; 5
- Strand: Geography; Content Standard II; 5-8 Benchmark 2-B; Grade 6
- Strand: Geography; Content Standard II; 5
Lauryn Carroll
This is a fun book for grade school kids. There are a lot of pictures of real ancient artifacts that help children understand what they are learning about in social studies. It is very informative and gives students a lot of information in a concise way. They don't have to read every word, but just the ones beneath the pictures that intrigue them. They can also relate to many of the ways of life and inventions of Ancient Rome. Many kids find this era fascinating so it is a good book for them.
Saul
A put Ancient Rome on the 'Historical book' section.

I decided too read this because I had to do an assignment for Social Studies and I read that too back up my infomation.

I liked this book because there ways in the older days were harder then today and the way the did stuff we do were really cool.

What I didn't really like about this book is that it didn't make much sense for me and I didn't really understand some of the terms used in the book.

I learnt a little bit about the Roman times and how
Nicole Clark
This book is a great introduction into what the life was back in Rome. It shows what they had for cloths and tools. It has a wonderful description next to the picture. This book would be a great for a book report and a short presentation. This book is great for the ones that love history and are into the that a young age. This book is all around amazing.
Tanner Mendelson
This picture book does an excellent job for the social studies teacher of documenting ancient Rome and the people who lived there. It displays actual pictures of artifacts and a short description of that artifact. For example, if a social studies teacher wanted to discuss "Gladiators," then the teacher could turn to page 30 and show the students a picture of an artifact of a small shield or a bronze helmet. These pictures give interesting descriptions of the artifact and how they may have been u ...more
Nicole
May 22, 2013 Nicole rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Teachers, students, anyone with an interest in history.
DK Eyewitness books are a treasure themselves. Packed with quality photographs of historical artefacts and information that makes history live, Ancient Rome serves both to whet the appetite and as a valuable research tool for students. In assessing a large number of books for usefulness to year 7 students' research projects, this book was rated highly by the whole teaching team. The glossary and list of suggestions for further relevant books and sites adds to its value for students.
Timothy
Informative with plenty of pictures. However, I felt that this book wasn't as effective in giving an idea of how the Romans actually lived in their society as other junior history books on the Romans does. I guess an analogy would be a children's history book on our era only having pictures of iPods, TVs, game consoles, without really getting into a general detail as to how they lived with all these items.
Sandy (WI girl at heart)
Good book for younger people. Basic facts and photos from the world of Ancient Rome. Well written for the group of folks it was most likely written for. Simple in nature but very well written, especially if love to learn about the past like I do.

Would I read it again: no but I would just for the beautiful photos in it. Would I recommend it to others: you bet I would.
Duane
You just can't go wrong with DK books. The kids love the bold photographs and illustrations, and parents love the information they provide. This volume focuses on Ancient Rome. It does a great job of showing everyday things, military items, beliefs, and so much more. A great book to add to your youth nonfiction collection.
Regina Hunter
*Crying* I burrowed this one from the library, some very kind person cut off at least 10 pages of pictures... THERE IS GOOGLE PRINT IT OUT IF YOU NEED IT BADLY!!!!!!!!!!
Julesmarie
Not my favorite of the DK Eyewitness books, but still a good resource. I mostly use this with my students for the pages on Ancient Roman food, nice images there.
Theresa
pictures and drawings and information relating to how people lived, loved, and worshiped in ancient rome/
Dawn
Read with my 7 year old sponge. She love love loves this series of books.
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
lexie chapman
lexie chapman marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Rachel Vorster
Rachel Vorster marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Zach
Zach marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Goodreads Librari...: Publishing info needs fixing 3 16 Nov 20, 2013 08:46AM
  • Ancient Greece
  • Ancient Egypt
  • Arms & Armor
  • Dinosaur (DK Eyewitness)
  • Medieval Life
  • Knight
  • Rocks & Minerals (Eyewitness Books)
  • City: A Story of Roman Planning and Construction
  • Bill and Pete Go Down the Nile
  • Rome
  • 1001 Natural Wonders: You Must See Before You Die
  • France
  • Germany (DK Eyewitness Travel)
  • Italy
Simon James is the award-winning author-illustrator of many children’s books, including such favorites as DEAR GREENPEACE, LEON AND BOB, and the Baby Brains series. His stories often concern a child’s relationship with the natural world. Simon James lives in England.
More about Simon James...
Dear Mr. Blueberry Baby Brains: The Smartest Baby in the Whole World George Flies South Nurse Clementine Baby Brains and RoboMom