Start by marking “Sea Star: Orphan of Chincoteague (Misty, #2)” as Want to Read:
Sea Star: Orphan of Chincoteague (Misty, #2)

Sea Star: Orphan of Chincoteague (Misty #2)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  4,237 ratings  ·  72 reviews
A wild colt rescued by two children is raised by a mare who has lost her own foal.
Published May 22nd 2007 by Aladdin (first published January 1st 1920)

To ask other readers questions about Sea Star, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sea Star

Black Beauty by Anna SewellThe Black Stallion by Walter FarleyKing of the Wind by Marguerite HenryMisty of Chincoteague by Marguerite HenrySeabiscuit by Laura Hillenbrand
Horse Books/Novels
18th out of 758 books — 472 voters
Black Beauty by Anna SewellThe Black Stallion by Walter FarleyKing of the Wind by Marguerite HenryMisty of Chincoteague by Marguerite HenryA Horse Called Wonder by Joanna Campbell
Best Horse Fiction
11th out of 257 books — 112 voters

More lists with this book...

Sandy
what was I, 8? 10? 12? .......I read this dozens of times..... an older edition with a different picture on the front but same story. Wonderful. I went back to Chincoteague in March and saw the wild horses out on Assateague Island, and walked on the beach and felt the wind in my hair and book postcards of the horses in the surf and bought Misty Of Chincoteague for my niece. It was wonderful to be back there again (last time was in 1963 and I was 6).... I really enjoyed myself.
Melissa
After reading Misty of Chincoteague, anyone could become enamoured with the ponies of Assateague island. That being said, this book is kind of a let down after that. While it was still well written for children and does envelop the horse culture that is Chincoteague, the story almost seems incomplete and not very fleshed out.

Its the next Pony Penning day at Chinconteague and before all the wild ponies of Assateague can be driven over to the island, Paul and Maureen are approached by some movie m
April Brown
A childhood favorite re-visited.

Is the story as good as I remember? – Yes

What ages would I recommend it too? – All ages. Children will enjoy the single storyline; while adults enjoy an easy afternoon read (especially while waiting on a bus, show, doctor, or other appointments).

Length? – Reasonable for an afternoon.

Characters? – Memorable, several characters, though a bit confusing in the beginning.

Setting? – Real world, Recent times (1940′s).

Written approximately? – 1949.

Does the story leave que
Theresa
When I was younger a friend of mine had the first book in this series, and I had always wanted to read them. So when I saw book 2 and 3 at a yard sale I grabbed them up with a skip in my step. I didn't for one moment wonder if I wouldn't enjoy them as much now.

I loved every page of this story. I loved Misty's personality and how the children loved her. I loved the grandparents. Reading about the roundup made me want to research it or read a non fiction book about it. I was so proud of Paul and M
Lars Guthrie
The first sequel of "Misty of Chincoteague." If someone you know likes books about horses and has little trouble adjusting to a different period and style of writing, steer them to Marguerite Henry. In "Misty" and "Sea Star," the siblings Paul and Maureen often fall into stereotyped gender behavior (Maureen does the dishes while Paul helps with a loud speaker system), but their relationship with their grandparents (the mysterious parents are in China) is loving and charming, and Maureen is a pre ...more
Rachel Jackson
This is a good book for kids to read, no doubt about it, but it has lost some of its magic for me in the past decade. After the lovely story that was Misty of Chincoteague, this "sequel" doesn't dazzle me nearly quite as much. I felt quite disconnected from everything that was happening — I felt like everything happened too fast for me to develop an opinion on the action itself and what the Beebes did. The characters were less developed, which was a bit sad to see, given that this book has more ...more
Gale
THE MYRTLE CURE

Although author Marguerite Henry had not envisioned a sequel to MISTY, she found herself touched by the real plight of a tiny orphan colt whose mother had died at Tom's Cove. Those plucky youngsters, Paul and Maureen Beebe, make the ultimate sacrifice: they decide to sell their beloved Misty in order to finance their uncle's education at Seminary. But when the Lord cloes one door, he often opens a window somewhere else. In this case the starving little type whickers his way into
Twyla
My favorite part was when sea star got a foster mom, a mom got a foster child horse, and paul and maureen got them both. The worst part was when paul and maureen had to sell misty. my favorite character were paul and maureen. There was no worst character. This book was about paul and maureen selling misty and finding an orphan cot and keeping her and also getting a mare who lost her child. auryn 10 yesrs old, 2014
Sara Elisabetha
Sea Star: Orphan of Chincoteague
Author: Marguerite Henry

This book is a sequel to Marguerite Henry's first book, Misty of Chincoteague. In this book brother and sister Paul and Maureen Beebe have sold Misty to Some "movie men" from New York to make a movie about her, and to make children on the main land happy. When Paul and Maureen are digging for oysters for their grandmothers Pony Penning Day dinner, they find an orphaned colt with his mother laying "dead on her broadside."
This book had to be
Kyrie
These books are so wrapped up in my childhood that I see the title and remember the school library and sitting on the floor with my best friend, reading the books.

I think Marguerite Henry is the source of my obsession with reading everything in a series.
Kristen
I was lucky enough to find a 1949 copy at Redux in Eastown. Still a classic book all these years later.
Mckinzie
This book was so good and the cover is adorable. I love horses.
Caitlin
I... had no idea this book was from the ~40's. Huh.
Marci Christensen
We started this one tonight. I read it when I was younger, along with every other horse book I could find. Marissa really likes it so far. It is a higher reading level then previous books we have read aloud, so I'm curious to see how long it keeps their attention (and mine).

Well, we finished a few days ago. It was a slow read, but Marissa liked the characters and, of course, all the horses, err ponies rather. There were not enough pictures, though, to make it a great read for young kids. We like
Jo
this was such a great book, I love Marguerite Henry
Betty
What's not to like?
Caticorn
This book was not a book I would read again. It was not exciting and it was a bit confusing. There was a few parts I really didn't like. I think this would be more for girls but some boys I don't think wouldn't mind reading it but they would have to like horses. I read the first book and liked it but this one didn't seem anything like the first at all. I didn't like how the grandpa's name was Clarence and how someone else had the exact same name. It made it very confusing.
Rachael
In this book Sea Star, by Maruerite Henry, Paul and Maureen Beebee think it is great that their current pony Misty is going to be filmed in a movie except for the idea of having to sell her. soon, their decidion comes to an end as they sell their beloved pony in order to send their uncle to college. Even so, there s an empty feeling left from selling Misty, so when they find a starving, orphan colt on the beach, it turns out they needed it as much as it needed them.
It was a pretty good horse book, I didn't like that they sold Misty:( I liked that they had some reference to God and the Bible. But I didn't care for the swearing even though it was mostly slang, so I won't be keeping it. Loved the artwork though!
Nancy St. Clair
The story of Paul and Maureen, siblings and owners of Misty, is continued in this book, and once again they are called upon to sacrifice their desires for another. Ms. Henry does a fantastic job of offering the reader important life-lessons by having her characters demonstrate the necessity of cooperation and the blessing in sacrifice. Wholesome reading for any age!
April Helms
Jan 16, 2008 April Helms rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children
Shelves: fiction, childrens
I recently re-read this story. I enjoy all of Henry's books; I guess my one nit though was the grandfather's insistance of not bottle feeding the young orphan and trying to give Sea Star mash. It struck me as odd since the foal was obviously too young for anything other *than* milk. Grandpa Beebe is supposed to be a horse expert, and his reasoning just struck me as hollow.
Dark-Draco
A lovely story! The pictures are wonderful and the story was sweet. I wish I'd read these when I was younger, they would have gone alongside My Friend Flicka and The Jackie books! I still wouldn't have given up my pony just because someone wanted to put her in a film, especially if she was going to be petted by lots of 'orrible kids!!!!!
Mr. Graham
Sea Star was a feel-good children's story. It was mildly entertaining, and had some cool wisdom from the grandparents, along with some valuable horse stuff. However, the absence of a strong central plot made me glad this book was over. Setting was cool. Character development was not great. Plot development was poor.
Emily
I loved this series when I was a little girl. I recently gifted a set to my niece (because she is a total horse nerd like I was). I totally read them again before I wrapped them and gave them to her! :P They were so much fun to read again...great for any horse lovers.
Serena
My Rating System:

Chelsea
Jun 12, 2010 Chelsea rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children under the age of 12
there were two diffrent plots here. i am not sure why the two diffrent plots needed to be in the same peice. the charecters were hummeous but i find that there was more of a focus on the grandparents charectezatoin than the two cilren, maureen and paul.
Jessie H
When New York men come to shoot a pony penning, they met misty. And to the childerens surprise the men ask to buy misty. Along the way thinking about selling misty, a new foal comes along naamed Sea Star. Will the kids sell misty and keep the orphan foal?
Kristy
An okay story...I suppose it was probably a big hit with all children who love horses. Honestly I don't remember much about it; I read it when I was about twelve, but nothing from it sticks out in my mind as a book that I really enjoyed.
Rosaleen Leclair
this book is very exciting because there are a lot of Ponies around them. they are making a movie about ponies. there is this pony name Misty and these people came because they want to buy misty. this book is filled with adventures!
Morgan
I liked it because Maureen and Paul saved Sea Star. He was alone at the beach and they rounded him up; Paul told them how. They got him into the beach and then Paul and Maureen swam him through, just like the round-up.
  • The Black Stallion Revolts (The Black Stallion, #9)
  • Wonder's Yearling (Thoroughbred, #6)
  • Green Grass of Wyoming (Flicka, #3)
  • The Blind Colt
  • Free Again (Phantom Stallion, #5)
  • Billy And Blaze: A Boy And His Pony
Marguerite Henry (April 13, 1902-November 26, 1997) was an American writer. The author of fifty-nine books based on true stories of horses and other animals, her work has captivated entire generations of children and young adults and won several Newbery Awards and Honors. Among the more famous of her works was Misty of Chincoteague, which was the basis for the 1961 movie Misty, and several sequel ...more
More about Marguerite Henry...

Misty (4 books)
  • Misty of Chincoteague (Misty, #1)
  • Stormy, Misty's Foal (Misty, #3)
  • Misty's Twilight (Misty, #4)
Misty of Chincoteague (Misty, #1) King of the Wind: The Story of the Godolphin Arabian Stormy, Misty's Foal (Misty, #3) Brighty of the Grand Canyon Justin Morgan Had a Horse