Start by marking “When, Why-- If: An Ethics Workbook” as Want to Read:
When, Why-- If: An Ethics Workbook

When, Why-- If: An Ethics Workbook

This is a workbook dealing with ethics from a Pagan/Wiccan perspective.

I began writing it several years ago, because folk kept asking me questions about right and wrong. I tried to tell them they should be asking their teachers these questions; but some of them didn't have teachers, and some had teachers who didn't seem very interested in the topic.

So I wrote the book; n

Unknown Binding, 174 pages
Published January 1st 1996 by R. Wood

To ask other readers questions about When, Why-- If, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When, Why-- If

Eli Ashpence
Jun 07, 2011 Eli Ashpence rated it it was amazing
I got this book years ago when I first started studying magick and all my friends took interest. Unfortunately, they wanted lessons on love spells and instant success more than spiritual enlightenment. Lectures on ethics always made me sound snobbish and stingy, but this book saved my friendships from being ruined. I started loaning out my copy of "When, Why...If" as lesson one. Every time, the request for unethical magic mysteriously disappeared like smoke and my friends began treating my belie ...more
Jenn
Aug 03, 2015 Jenn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, spirit, own
In When, Why...If author Robin Wood gives the reader an invaluable set of tools and instructions on how to evaluate and build their very own code of ethics. It is written for a Wiccan audience but an open-minded person of any religion could mine this wealth of "everyman" wisdom on how to be a better, more ethical person.

Although this book is in easy to understand, "layman's" terms the journey through this book is anything but easy! If you work through this book with the honest intention of growt
R. C.
Jan 11, 2010 R. C. rated it really liked it
Did you have a wise grown-up in your life who would never say anything when you screwed up but hours later would join you when you were coloring or playing with the dog and conversationally reveal some things to you that were never about you but made you suddenly get sick with the knowledge that the thing you did that afternoon was godawful and you never wanted to do it again? Every chapter in this book is like that.
Taylor Ellwood
Feb 20, 2013 Taylor Ellwood rated it liked it
Shelves: magic
I'm not a Wiccan and I mention that because it's an important caveat to this review. This book was written for Wiccans and primarily deals with ethics from that perspective. I'll admit that I didn't really care for this book. At times I found the author to be condescending. She came off as a stern mother lecturing her way-ward son about how to behave. I also didn't see a lot of commentary on magic and ethics which I hoped for. I suspect the lack of it has more to do with the fact that its a book ...more
Jaina Bee
Jul 05, 2012 Jaina Bee rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: humans
Recommended to Jaina Bee by: CAYA
This is a book that needs repeated readings. Even the author recommends reading it once through before actually working on any of the assignments.

This book definitely fills in the gaps of many "how to cast a spell" books out there, and it's more directed toward people who don't have access to a teacher or a community. Still, it's a conveniently concise explanation of ethics and how to define yours for yourself, and I will be making use of it for years to come.

The author's website has a helpful p
H.B. Pattskyn
Feb 12, 2012 H.B. Pattskyn rated it it was amazing
I consider this to be an absolute "must-read" for every student who crosses my threshold. Not because I think students and new seekers are lacking in the ethics department (very few are), but because reading "When, Why-If?" the student is challenged to look inside and take stock of who they are, where they've come from, and where they hope to go. You have to be able to do that before you can really commit to anything.
Entar Tellimarren
Feb 21, 2010 Entar Tellimarren rated it liked it
By and large it is a good book for someone in young adulthood or someone who hasn't up until the time they read this book decided to make ethics and religion a priority. For your average Joe this will arm a person with tools to make their lives a little better. After they read this, however, I would suggest _The Slight Edge_ by Jeff Olson.
Larissa Lee
Aug 06, 2014 Larissa Lee rated it it was amazing
This book is one of the best (and most entertaining) books I've read on ethics, especially directed toward pagans. Sometimes we can get a bit uptight; Robin Wood manages to make you think without boring you to tears or guilting you for every choice you've made that doesn't fit the "perfect pagan" mold.
Bill Stevens
May 20, 2009 Bill Stevens is currently reading it
I have been impressed TO THE MAX from the beginning of this book through chapter six (where I am so far). EXCELLENT read for those who follow an Alternative Religious path, from Neophyte through Clergy.
Star Shadowdrake
Feb 06, 2008 Star Shadowdrake rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Star by: Friend
Shelves: wicca
An excellent book for beginners and anyone who is interested in Wicca! This book makes you stop and think, and realize you have to carry your brain with you at all times!
Diana
Aug 12, 2010 Diana rated it it was amazing
It is a great wookbook on Pagan ethics. It allows you the space and freedom to explore your beliefs of what the Wiccan Rede means.
Brandon Harwood
May 23, 2008 Brandon Harwood rated it really liked it
Shelves: philosophy
One of the only Wiccan philosophy books that is worth something. Shame it is often hard to find. :-(
Mel
Mel rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2016
Angelia
Angelia marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2016
Cynthia
Cynthia marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2016
Larisa
Larisa rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2016
Dorothy
Dorothy marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
PhoenixFiresky
PhoenixFiresky rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2016
Lori Lynn
Lori Lynn rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2016
Andria
Andria is currently reading it
May 18, 2016
Vinka P.
Vinka P. marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Shane
Shane marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Jo Settle
Jo Settle rated it liked it
Mar 23, 2016
Marjorie Lewis
Marjorie Lewis rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2016
Becca
Becca rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2016
Saltymedic
Saltymedic rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2016
Joan
Joan rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2016
Gilbert Gordon
Gilbert Gordon rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

Robin Wood (born 1953) is an American artist specializing in game art and fantasy. She is best known for her portraits of characters from Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern series, the Robin Wood Tarot Deck and the cover art for several of Scott Cunningham's books on neo
More about Robin Wood...