Start by marking “Shit Magnet: One Man's Miraculous Ability to Absorb the World's Guilt” as Want to Read:
Shit Magnet: One Man's Miraculous Ability to Absorb the World's Guilt

Shit Magnet: One Man's Miraculous Ability to Absorb the World's Guilt

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  203 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Jim Goad's prison-bound memoir.
Published May 1st 2002 by Feral House

To ask other readers questions about Shit Magnet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shit Magnet

Apocalypse Culture by Adam ParfreyDeath Scenes by Sean TejaratchiApocalypse Culture II by Adam ParfreyLove Sex Fear Death by Timothy WyllieLords of Chaos by Michael Moynihan
Feral House & Amok Books
6th out of 158 books — 41 voters
Night by Elie WieselAngela's Ashes by Frank McCourtSurviving the Fourth Cycle by Nathan DanielsAdversity Builds Character; An Inspirational True Life Story ... by Tom UfertRunning with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs
Memoirs by Men
275th out of 553 books — 380 voters

More lists with this book...

Benjamin
Reading for class. Miserable. This may be the worst book I've ever read. Really. - 1/30/09

Okay, I finished this thing. It's bad. It still is probably the worst book I've ever read, for five thousand reasons. Reason 1-3 are the terrible font it was printed with, Jim Goad is a douchebag, and Jim Goad writes like a 15 year old. Reason 1,433 is that Jim Goad is a hypocrite, and at some stage in the book exhibits everything that he bemoans in others. Reason 4,208 is the photo of a turd on the cover.
Art
The memoirs of Jim Goad, controversial zine author, shit-stirrer and woman-beater. Written in jail while serving three years for assault & kidnapping. Non-fiction - a barrage of hate, of contempt for society. You'll agree with what he writes a lot more than you'd like to admit in polite company. He's a man of dangerous ideas and this is a horrible but fascinating read. The last hundred or so pages, about his jail time, is particularly unsettling. It was a relief to finally finish this book a ...more
Anita Dalton
Jim Goad is a man who did some questionable and, at times, violent things in his past, but his biography lays his life bare before the reader. Never shy from the controversial, the former editor of the now infamous 'zine ANSWER Me!, does not hesitate to talk about how terrible things in his life affected him. You can read more of my review at http://ireadoddbooks.com/?p=68
H R Koelling
There really isn't any reason to read this book. Although I initially thought the author had some intellect and insight I feel that in the long run he lacks class, and that ruins his writing and his credibility. That said, he certainly caused me to think about a few things, although the thoughts I had weren't the most inspiring things to think about.

For instance, I appreciate the fact that this book will offend the average person. And if it doesn't, then you're as dead to the world as I would s
Bridget
This book started off weak... a lot of "poor me the shit magnet" type ranting. I think that was a clever ruse to scare off the folks who couldn't hack the larger story and the bigger picture because once he got started telling his story, it was brilliant and enjoyable as all hell. I might even use the word "transcendental"... oh wait, I just did.
ps. Street Boners is some fucking funny shit where you can read more Goad more of the time.
Andrew Arbow
I first learned of Jim Goad after I learned he was an accomplished writer who wrote for the same magazine I write for in Portland. This book is amazingly honest in it brutality and is written in a sense that its hard to argue with anything he says, even if its wrong. It's no wonder why his work is so polarizing. Jim says things that won't be said and things people don't want to hear. Everything is articulated in a valid sense even if it may or may not be correct . The book captured my feeling ab ...more
Ivanna S.
Really humanizing. I read Answer Me! and mostly hated the fanzine, but appreciated it in a lot of ways, as well. This autobiography was enlightening, honest, interesting and well-written - and made me really really sad. All the wrong people vilified Jim Goad when they should have been defending him for being the extreme that proved their points. Shined a light on the worst part of this society. Totally worth reading.
Tpeter
Extremely entertaining book by a wonderful guy... Jim Goad is an angry white male and makes no excuses about it. He has a gift for language - the book is simply SUPERIOR.
Shannon Barber
Enjoyable if you don't have tender sensibilities. I enjoyed reading this book quite a bit, I'd enjoyed Jim Goad's writing prior to reading this book and it didn't disappoint.
Ian Morgan
Insightful, angry read.
Noran Miss Pumkin
Apr 25, 2008 Noran Miss Pumkin rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: jf
Recommended to Noran by: very adult material
Shelves: strange-stuff
a hard book to read of a self absorbed man. harsh language and it not an easy read. not all books should be pleasant, for you to learn from. i do not recommend it though, unless you are into this type of nonfiction writing. i know my review is vague--he is a hard man to discibe without 4 letter words.
Brian
what can one say about Goad that hasn't already been said? most people hate him, and those that genuinely love him scare me. a lot. he can be funny though, even as he nails himself to his own cross.
Jenny Schmenny
Yuck. All of Joad's brains are sunk into this lavishly self-defensive whinefest.
Eric Keese
Mar 30, 2013 Eric Keese marked it as to-read
I can't seem to get very far
Lenny Sparkletropolypse
Lenny Sparkletropolypse marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Cura
Cura added it
Nov 23, 2014
Lpad
Lpad added it
Nov 20, 2014
Aron Edwards
Aron Edwards marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Yağız Demeli
Yağız Demeli marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Cat
Cat marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Taylor Dunbar
Taylor Dunbar marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Eris Raved
Eris Raved marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
  • Might is Right
  • The Good and the Ghastly: A Novel
  • 10 a Boot Stomping 20 a Human Face 30 Goto 10
  • The Source: The Untold Story of Father Yod, YaHoWha 13, and The Source Family
  • P.S.- I Made This . . .: I See It. I Like It. I Make It.
  • The Skeptic: A Life of H. L. Mencken
  • The Best Cat Ever
  • The Years with Ross
  • The Human War
  • Beasts, Men And Gods
  • The Man Who Never Died: The Life, Times, and Legacy of Joe Hill, American Labor Icon
  • My Favorite Band Does Not Exist
  • Speed Tribes: Days and Night's with Japan's Next Generation
  • The Merry Recluse: A Life in Essays
  • The Birthday Party: A Memoir of Survival
Goad started his writing career with the magazine "ANSWER Me!" Which got connected with a triple suicide by British gothics and of the white house shooting of Francisco Martin Duran.

In 1998 he was convicted of abusing his girlfriend and was released in 2000. In prison he wrote his autobiography "Shit Magnet."

Nowadays he lives with his wife and son in Atlanta. According his website, Goad is now wo
More about Jim Goad...
The Redneck Manifesto: How Hillbillies, Hicks, and White Trash Became America's Scapegoats Answer Me!: The First Three Jim Goad's Gigantic Book of Sex Trucker Fags in Denial The Headache Factory: True Tales of Online Obsession and Madness