Start by marking “Shit Magnet: One Man's Miraculous Ability to Absorb the World's Guilt” as Want to Read:
Shit Magnet: One Man's Miraculous Ability to Absorb the World's Guilt

Shit Magnet: One Man's Miraculous Ability to Absorb the World's Guilt

3.56  ·  Rating Details  ·  240 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Jim Goad's prison-bound memoir.
Published May 1st 2002 by Feral House

To ask other readers questions about Shit Magnet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shit Magnet

Apocalypse Culture by Adam ParfreyDeath Scenes by Sean TejaratchiApocalypse Culture II by Adam ParfreyLove Sex Fear Death by Timothy WyllieLexicon Devil by Brendan Mullen
Feral House & Amok Books
7th out of 164 books — 46 voters
Holy Bible by AnonymousNaked Lunch by William S. BurroughsAlice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis CarrollFear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. ThompsonHouse of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski
Weirdest Books Ever
392nd out of 432 books — 571 voters

More lists with this book...

H R Koelling
Nov 17, 2009 H R Koelling rated it did not like it
There really isn't any reason to read this book. Although I initially thought the author had some intellect and insight I feel that in the long run he lacks class, and that ruins his writing and his credibility. That said, he certainly caused me to think about a few things, although the thoughts I had weren't the most inspiring things to think about.

For instance, I appreciate the fact that this book will offend the average person. And if it doesn't, then you're as dead to the world as I would s
Benjamin
Feb 09, 2009 Benjamin rated it did not like it
Reading for class. Miserable. This may be the worst book I've ever read. Really. - 1/30/09

Okay, I finished this thing. It's bad. It still is probably the worst book I've ever read, for five thousand reasons. Reason 1-3 are the terrible font it was printed with, Jim Goad is a douchebag, and Jim Goad writes like a 15 year old. Reason 1,433 is that Jim Goad is a hypocrite, and at some stage in the book exhibits everything that he bemoans in others. Reason 4,208 is the photo of a turd on the cover.
Joni
Jan 16, 2012 Joni rated it really liked it
Shelves: depravity
The memoirs of Jim Goad, controversial zine author, shit-stirrer and woman-beater. Written in jail while serving three years for assault & kidnapping. Non-fiction - a barrage of hate, of contempt for society. You'll agree with what he writes a lot more than you'd like to admit in polite company. He's a man of dangerous ideas and this is a horrible but fascinating read. The last hundred or so pages, about his jail time, is particularly unsettling. It was a relief to finally finish this book a ...more
Anita Dalton
Jan 26, 2010 Anita Dalton rated it really liked it
Jim Goad is a man who did some questionable and, at times, violent things in his past, but his biography lays his life bare before the reader. Never shy from the controversial, the former editor of the now infamous 'zine ANSWER Me!, does not hesitate to talk about how terrible things in his life affected him. You can read more of my review at http://ireadoddbooks.com/?p=68
Andrew Arbow
Aug 05, 2014 Andrew Arbow rated it it was amazing
I first learned of Jim Goad after I learned he was an accomplished writer who wrote for the same magazine I write for in Portland. This book is amazingly honest in it brutality and is written in a sense that its hard to argue with anything he says, even if its wrong. It's no wonder why his work is so polarizing. Jim says things that won't be said and things people don't want to hear. Everything is articulated in a valid sense even if it may or may not be correct . The book captured my feeling ab ...more
Bridget
Jan 21, 2009 Bridget rated it really liked it
This book started off weak... a lot of "poor me the shit magnet" type ranting. I think that was a clever ruse to scare off the folks who couldn't hack the larger story and the bigger picture because once he got started telling his story, it was brilliant and enjoyable as all hell. I might even use the word "transcendental"... oh wait, I just did.
ps. Street Boners is some fucking funny shit where you can read more Goad more of the time.
Nate
May 30, 2015 Nate rated it liked it
a sociopath's stroll down self-pity street.
Ivanna S.
Mar 20, 2011 Ivanna S. rated it it was amazing
Really humanizing. I read Answer Me! and mostly hated the fanzine, but appreciated it in a lot of ways, as well. This autobiography was enlightening, honest, interesting and well-written - and made me really really sad. All the wrong people vilified Jim Goad when they should have been defending him for being the extreme that proved their points. Shined a light on the worst part of this society. Totally worth reading.
Tpeter
Oct 11, 2009 Tpeter rated it really liked it
Extremely entertaining book by a wonderful guy... Jim Goad is an angry white male and makes no excuses about it. He has a gift for language - the book is simply SUPERIOR.
Shannon Barber
Dec 25, 2008 Shannon Barber rated it really liked it
Enjoyable if you don't have tender sensibilities. I enjoyed reading this book quite a bit, I'd enjoyed Jim Goad's writing prior to reading this book and it didn't disappoint.
Ian Morgan
May 20, 2014 Ian Morgan rated it really liked it
Insightful, angry read.
Noran Miss Pumkin
Apr 25, 2008 Noran Miss Pumkin rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: jf
Recommended to Noran by: very adult material
Shelves: strange-stuff
a hard book to read of a self absorbed man. harsh language and it not an easy read. not all books should be pleasant, for you to learn from. i do not recommend it though, unless you are into this type of nonfiction writing. i know my review is vague--he is a hard man to discibe without 4 letter words.
Brian
Mar 04, 2008 Brian rated it it was ok
Shelves: memior
what can one say about Goad that hasn't already been said? most people hate him, and those that genuinely love him scare me. a lot. he can be funny though, even as he nails himself to his own cross.
Jenny Schmenny
Aug 18, 2007 Jenny Schmenny rated it did not like it
Yuck. All of Joad's brains are sunk into this lavishly self-defensive whinefest.
Eric Keese
Mar 30, 2013 Eric Keese marked it as to-read
I can't seem to get very far
Deanna
Deanna rated it did not like it
Jul 27, 2016
Ernest Gordon
Ernest Gordon rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2016
Ben Hourigan
Ben Hourigan marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Victoria Peipert
Victoria Peipert rated it liked it
Jul 06, 2016
Justin Dickman
Justin Dickman rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2016
The_ocean
The_ocean rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2016
N
N marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Henrietta
Henrietta marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Lyle
Lyle is currently reading it
May 19, 2016
Josef Andar
Josef Andar marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Hideki
Hideki marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
Kitch Bene
Kitch Bene marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Shadowclaw
Shadowclaw marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2016
Jonathan Freed
Jonathan Freed marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2016
Rodrigo
Rodrigo rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2016
  • Apocalypse Culture
  • Crimson Stain
  • On the Lower Frequencies
  • Kooks: A Guide to the Outer Limits of Human Belief
  • Przez kraj ludzi, zwierząt i bogów
  • Tales of Times Square
  • Now Dig This: The Unspeakable Writings, 1950-1995
  • Vampires Among Us
  • Your Vigor for Life Appalls Me: Letters, 1958-1977
  • The Good and the Ghastly: A Novel
  • Might is Right
  • P.S.- I Made This . . .: I See It. I Like It. I Make It.
  • The Skeptic: A Life of H. L. Mencken
  • The Source: The Untold Story of Father Yod, YaHoWha 13, and The Source Family
  • The Best Cat Ever
  • The Years with Ross
  • Secret and Suppressed: Banned Ideas and Hidden History
Goad started his writing career with the magazine "ANSWER Me!" Which got connected with a triple suicide by British gothics and of the white house shooting of Francisco Martin Duran.

In 1998 he was convicted of abusing his girlfriend and was released in 2000. In prison he wrote his autobiography "Shit Magnet."

Nowadays he lives with his wife and son in Atlanta. According his website, Goad is now wo
More about Jim Goad...