Shit Magnet: One Man's Miraculous Ability to Absorb the World's Guilt

Shit Magnet: One Man's Miraculous Ability to Absorb the World's Guilt

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  184 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Jim Goad's prison-bound memoir.
Published May 1st 2002 by Feral House

Apocalypse Culture by Adam ParfreyLove Sex Fear Death by Timothy WyllieLords of Chaos by Michael MoynihanDeath Scenes by Sean TejaratchiShit Magnet by Jim Goad
Feral House & Amok Books
5th out of 157 books — 37 voters
Night by Elie WieselAngela's Ashes by Frank McCourtSurviving The Fourth Cycle by Nathan DanielsAdversity Builds Character; An Inspirational True Life Story ... by Tom UfertRunning with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs
Memoirs by Men
265th out of 528 books — 358 voters

More lists with this book...

Benjamin
Reading for class. Miserable. This may be the worst book I've ever read. Really. - 1/30/09

Okay, I finished this thing. It's bad. It still is probably the worst book I've ever read, for five thousand reasons. Reason 1-3 are the terrible font it was printed with, Jim Goad is a douchebag, and Jim Goad writes like a 15 year old. Reason 1,433 is that Jim Goad is a hypocrite, and at some stage in the book exhibits everything that he bemoans in others. Reason 4,208 is the photo of a turd on the cover....more
Art
The memoirs of Jim Goad, controversial zine author, shit-stirrer and woman-beater. Written in jail while serving three years for assault & kidnapping. Non-fiction - a barrage of hate, of contempt for society. You'll agree with what he writes a lot more than you'd like to admit in polite company. He's a man of dangerous ideas and this is a horrible but fascinating read. The last hundred or so pages, about his jail time, is particularly unsettling. It was a relief to finally finish this book a...more
Anita Dalton
Jim Goad is a man who did some questionable and, at times, violent things in his past, but his biography lays his life bare before the reader. Never shy from the controversial, the former editor of the now infamous 'zine ANSWER Me!, does not hesitate to talk about how terrible things in his life affected him. You can read more of my review at http://ireadoddbooks.com/?p=68
H R Koelling
There really isn't any reason to read this book. Although I initially thought the author had some intellect and insight I feel that in the long run he lacks class, and that ruins his writing and his credibility. That said, he certainly caused me to think about a few things, although the thoughts I had weren't the most inspiring things to think about.

For instance, I appreciate the fact that this book will offend the average person. And if it doesn't, then you're as dead to the world as I would s...more
Bridget
This book started off weak... a lot of "poor me the shit magnet" type ranting. I think that was a clever ruse to scare off the folks who couldn't hack the larger story and the bigger picture because once he got started telling his story, it was brilliant and enjoyable as all hell. I might even use the word "transcendental"... oh wait, I just did.
ps. Street Boners is some fucking funny shit where you can read more Goad more of the time.
Ivanna S.
Really humanizing. I read Answer Me! and mostly hated the fanzine, but appreciated it in a lot of ways, as well. This autobiography was enlightening, honest, interesting and well-written - and made me really really sad. All the wrong people vilified Jim Goad when they should have been defending him for being the extreme that proved their points. Shined a light on the worst part of this society. Totally worth reading.
Tpeter
Extremely entertaining book by a wonderful guy... Jim Goad is an angry white male and makes no excuses about it. He has a gift for language - the book is simply SUPERIOR.
Shannon Barber
Enjoyable if you don't have tender sensibilities. I enjoyed reading this book quite a bit, I'd enjoyed Jim Goad's writing prior to reading this book and it didn't disappoint.
Ian Morgan
Insightful, angry read.
Noran Miss Pumkin
Apr 25, 2008 Noran Miss Pumkin rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: jf
Recommended to Noran by: very adult material
Shelves: strange-stuff
a hard book to read of a self absorbed man. harsh language and it not an easy read. not all books should be pleasant, for you to learn from. i do not recommend it though, unless you are into this type of nonfiction writing. i know my review is vague--he is a hard man to discibe without 4 letter words.
Brian
what can one say about Goad that hasn't already been said? most people hate him, and those that genuinely love him scare me. a lot. he can be funny though, even as he nails himself to his own cross.
Jenny Schmenny
Yuck. All of Joad's brains are sunk into this lavishly self-defensive whinefest.
Eric Keese
Mar 30, 2013 Eric Keese marked it as to-read
I can't seem to get very far
Ian
Ian added it
Jul 26, 2014
Arlette
Arlette marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Kellie
Kellie marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Mark Monastyrski
Mark Monastyrski marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Steve K
Steve K marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
Karuss
Karuss marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Don
Don marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Nicolas C Grey
Nicolas C Grey marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Lily
Lily marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Margie
Margie marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Goad started his writing career with the magazine "ANSWER Me!" Which got connected with a triple suicide by British gothics and of the white house shooting of Francisco Martin Duran.

In 1998 he was convicted of abusing his girlfriend and was released in 2000. In prison he wrote his autobiography "Shit Magnet."

Nowadays he lives with his wife and son in Atlanta. According his website, Goad is now wo...more
More about Jim Goad...
The Redneck Manifesto: How Hillbillies, Hicks, and White Trash Became America's Scapegoats Answer Me!: The First Three Jim Goad's Gigantic Book of Sex Trucker Fags in Denial The Headache Factory: True Tales of Online Obsession and Madness