Start by marking “A Rose for Emily and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
A Rose for Emily and Other Stories

A Rose for Emily and Other Stories

4.06  ·  Rating Details ·  22,918 Ratings  ·  415 Reviews
Faulkner’s most famous, most popular, and most anthologized short story, “A Rose for Emily” evokes the terms Southern gothic and grotesque, two types of literature in which the general tone is one of gloom, terror, and understated violence.

Quotes from the book:

Published January 1st 1970 by Merrill Publishing Company (first published November 1st 1930)

To ask other readers questions about A Rose for Emily and Other Stories, please sign up.

Bogdan Raț
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Aj the Ravenous Reader

A classic, literary short story that will give you the ultimate creeps. A Rose for Emily is a dark, disturbing but strongly evocatively written tale rich in symbols, ironies and vivid imagery and remarkably depicts the consequences of living in and wanting to preserve one’s glorious past. You can read the short story here.
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
If you've never read anything by William Faulkner, read this story.

description

I first read Faulkner's classic "A Rose for Emily" in college years ago. Initially I just dropped a 4 star rating on it and left it at that. But then something happened. A few friends liked my rating, and this story kept stealing back into my mind like Homer Barron sneaking in through Emily's back door, and making itself at home in my head, an uninvited and a little bit uncomfortable guest.

So I starting doing a little research on
Councillor
We did not say she was crazy then. We believed she had to do that. We remembered all the young men her father had driven away, and we knew that with nothing left, she would have to cling to that which had robbed her, as people will.

The second William Faulkner short story I have read turned out to be an absolute success. On diverting, brief eight pages, Faulkner manages to introduce his readers to the character of Miss Emily Grierson, a woman marked by loneliness and bitterness. This story de
Lawyer
William Faulkner's A Rose for Emily: The Town as Narrator and Accomplice

This classic Southern gothic story was chosen as a Moderators' Choice for members of On the Southern Literary Trail for October, 2014.

WHEN Miss Emily Grierson died, our whole town went to her funeral: the men through a sort of respectful affection for a fallen monument, the women mostly out of curiosity to see the inside of her house, which no one save an old man-servant--a combined gardener and cook--had seen in at leas
Donita Luz
Feb 14, 2016 Donita Luz rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Donita by: Aj the Ravenous Reader
This wasn't really recommended to me by Aj. My curiosity just got the best of me after reading Aj's short but informative review here and Rachel's review.

I honestly have to read this short story twice for the story to actually sink in. I didn't know where the story was about or where it will lead to at first everything started to make sense the more you delve into the story, but I just have to read it again - to know if there were some clues and hints out there I missed before the genius Faulkne
Fatima
واقعا چه داستان کوتاه غافل گیر کننده ای بود ! فقط انتهاش رو سه بار خوندم تا از بهت در بیام و هضم کنم که چی شده و امیلی چه دلباخته ی خودخواهی بوده که دست به این کار زده و سالها تونسته از همه این راز بزرگ و مخوف رو اینقدر زیرکانه پنهان کنه , نمیدونم این دیگه چه جور عشقی میتونه باشه ولی من هنوز در بهتم ؛ احتمالا این عشق نیست بلکه یک جور جنون و خودخواهی محض هست که همیشه با عشق اشتباه گرفته میشه ...
Rachel Maniacup
Feb 04, 2016 Rachel Maniacup rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone who wants to read this!^^
Recommended to Rachel by: My curiosity
This is some kind of a gothic story that tells you about a woman(EMILY), from a wealthy and respectable family,and the last of her father's descendant.

The story started when Emily's father died,and the only thing he left for her was the house.Being left alone,she became the "talk" of her neighbors,"at last,the once envied was now the pitied".

This is the shortest horrifying story I've ever read so far,and I must say it was well-written.Others may say the story was pointless but for me,it was a go
Karen
Oct 09, 2014 Karen rated it really liked it
A big reason why I read writers like Faulkner is because of beautiful metaphors like this;

"and the very old men--some in their brushed Confederate uniforms--on the porch and the lawn, talking of Miss Emily as if she had been a contemporary of theirs, believing that they had danced with her and courted her perhaps, confusing time with its mathematical progression, as the old do, to whom all the past is not a diminishing road but, instead, a huge meadow which no winter ever quite touches, divided
Anne
Jan 19, 2016 Anne rated it really liked it
DON'T BE DECEIVED BY THE TITLE. NO ONE'S GETTING ANY ROSES.
I had to read this story twice to grasp it fully. But after a reading count of two, I still am not able to decipher who the hell the speaker is. And yes, this bothers me slightly. But I'll say it, this was one beautiful - short - piece of gothic literature. The fascinating thing about the mysterious identity of the narrator is it didn't take away from the story, if anything, it yielded more intrigue and allure, causing me to be mor
Jess ❈Harbinger of Blood-Soaked Rainbows❈
Thank you Tadiana for providing this link to this little shorty that I haven't read in 14 years.

I first read this in high school, and it is the first, and still only, Faulkner I have ever read. Faulkner has always been this kind of presence in my life. Like a long-lost uncle who is always kind of looking out for me, and remains a lingering presence, but who is intimidating, and just a little bit scary. And for those reasons, I've just never been able to warm up to Faulkner, but appreciate his
Ahmad Sharabiani
A Rose for Emily, William Faulkner
عنوان: یک گل سرخ برای امیلی؛ نویسنده: ویلیام فاکنر (فالکنر)؛ مترجم: نجف دریابندری؛ مشخصات نشر: تهران، پیام، 1350، در 119 ص؛ موضوع: داستانهای کوتاه از نویسندگان امریکایی - قرن 20 م
این نسخه تنها سه داستان دارد، داستانها: یک گل سرخ برای امیلی از ص 7 تا 31؛ انبار سوزی از ص 35 تا 81؛ دو سرباز از ص 85 تا 119
عنوانهای دیگر همین کتاب: «انبار سوزی» و «دو سرباز»ا
Haman
حالا که بایس بری برو . اما علتش را من نمی فهمم و هیچ وقت هم نمی خوام بفهمم . دیگه از من انتظار فهمیدنشو نداشته باش .

Feb 14, 2013 Laura rated it it was amazing
Revisited after 20 years because I wanted to compare to a short story written by William Gay, The Paperhanger. I definitely like shock factor in literature. Faulkner perfected this story.
Hussein Dehghani
Oct 20, 2015 Hussein Dehghani rated it really liked it
Shelves: 1
خلاصه داستان : میس امیلی گریرسن ، دختر یک خانواده متمول و بانفوذ پس از مرگ پدر تنها می شود؛ تنهایی او چنان است که ترحم همسایگان را برانگیخته است ؛ اما آنان تنها به جمله ای درباره او بسنده می کنند: "بیچاره امیلی ". امیلی با هیچ کس در ارتباط نیست ، جز نوکر پیر سیاهپوستی که معجونی از آشپز و باغبان است و در خانه او کار میکند.کلنل سارتوریس ، شهردار شهر، امیلی را از مالیات معاف کرده است و دلیل او برای این کارش ، بدهی شهرداری به پدر امیلی عنوان می شود. حتی بعدها جانشینان شهردار وقتی چنین قانونی )معافیت ...more
Tom Mathews
This is an extremely atmospheric and downright creepy short story. It makes me believe that I can learn to love Faulkner.

A Rose for Emily
Megan
Nov 23, 2010 Megan rated it it was amazing
I came to know about this book through the song 'In The End' by My Chemical Romance, which is inspired on this book. And I must say, this is the greatest story ever written. While the story is most macabre, for me it also shows the ultimate end of Romance and Love.

I don't want to spoil the story or the amazing plot, so please just read it!
Arpita Das
Feb 29, 2016 Arpita Das rated it it was amazing
OK, So let me tell you. This particular book didn't catch my attention at first. I just thought it to be a silly little romance where someone gives some Emily some rose. Well, I just ignored, titles can be deceiving though. When my best friend noticed that I just ignored her one of her favorites, you know what happened.... Yes, bloodbath, you guessed it right. She literally smacked me with this book and I returned home full of bruises. Yeah, we are good fighters.
{My lesson: Never underestimate
Shayantani Das
Jan 18, 2012 Shayantani Das rated it really liked it
Who said graphic imagery is required to make a person shudder? William Faulkner, with this subtle southern gothic story will make your jaw drop in horror at the climax. This excellent short story will leave a long lasting impression on your mind, and so will the enigmatic Emily. Recommended!
Davonna Juroe
Sep 28, 2010 Davonna Juroe rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories
Move over Glenn Close, Miss Emily Grierson just showed you up!

This is disturbing gothic necrophilia of the first order, and I did NOT see the last line of this story coming. How unsettling.

Faulkner really delves into the more murky, psychological side of the gothic here instead of relying on its traditional set pieces (endangered young heroine, decaying castles, etc.).

Emily really channels a darker Miss Havisham from GREAT EXPECTATIONS. And like Miss Havisham, Emily is obsessed with holding onto
Ken Moten
Oh yeah this book (read for 11th grade English). Oh what lengths we would go through and the things we let tolerate for good ol' chivalry. But the real moral here is how extreme and stubborn a particular group of people can be to change. Despite Faulkner's own views, whatever they truly are, he never shys away from telling the truth about his people and his enviorment and is what makes him in my view a natural successor to Mark Twain.
Matt

Taught it twice to different classes, worried each time that the kids wouldn't dig on it.

Happy to report that I was wrong both times, I was pleased and gladdened that it really seemed to go over well and I enjoyed reading the papers (more than expected) that came back.

Also, I thought I was a sharp cookie when the comparison between Emily and Lady Haversham...

Uhhh, actually, not so much. A couple freshmen made the connection without me even bringing it up.

Good on them, though. Very happy to
Doug H
Jul 22, 2015 Doug H rated it it was amazing
The perfect short story. So good that it gave me goosebumps! Masterfully controlled. Not a word wasted or ill-chosen. Subtlle humor builds quietly into abject horror. I'll be rereading this immediately.

Poor Emily!

*shivers*
Gisoo
Dec 27, 2016 Gisoo rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
اولین داستان این کتاب رو در زمان استراحت نهار خوندم و بعد از تموم شدنش احساس کردم هر چی خورده بودم تبدیل به درد و مریضی شد. به همین خاطر این همه طول کشید تا تموم شه و حتی می خواستم همون جور ولش کنم.
بنابراین باهاش خصومت شخصی دارم و نظرم سوگیری خواهد داشت.
Ebtihal Abuali
Nov 21, 2009 Ebtihal Abuali rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: north-america
مجموعة قصصية رائعة لوليام فوكنر. تراوح تقييمي للقصص بين نجمتين الى خمس نجوم، وفي الاغلبية هي قصص مدهشة من ناحية الافكار و الشخصيات والاسلوب. في ثلاث قصص على الأقل كان الراوي عبارة عن طفل وكنا نسمع ونشاهد الاحداث بعيني الطفل ورغم ان هذا الطفل قد يتحدث عن الجانب الذي فهمه من الحدث لكن له جانبا آخر يتطلب شخصا بالغاً كالقاريء الذكي ليستوعبه.
المجموعة مقسمة الى قسمين، قصص تدور في الارياف وتحكي عن علاقة الاقطاعيين بمستأجري الأراضي، عن ذهاب الشباب الى الحرب واستدعاءهم للتجنيد، وقصص تدور في القرية، عن عل
Sepideh Nakisafar
تقابل سنت و مدرنیته...
امیلی،از خانواده ای اصیل زاده،سنتی و مغرور است.اگر هومر را نماد مدرنیته بدانیم؛ آنچه رخ میدهد کشته شدن مدرنیسم توسط سنتگرایان ست.جایی که امیلی توان تغییر و تطبیق خود با معیارهای امروزی هومررا نداشت، با کشتنش او را تبدیل به جسدی سرد چون نیاکانش کرده و در کنار جسد وی زندگی را میگذراند.. در حقیقت میتوان گفت هومر را با معیارهای خود تطبیق میدهد..
در این داستان هم امیلی و هم هومر دارای نقاط ضعفی بوده و هیج یک کامل نیستند و در نهایت هردو میمیرند،هم سنت و هم تجدد
Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly
Old town in the old days in old Mississippi. We watch young Emily orphaned, then her heart broken, then growing old with her Negro servant, a recluse in her big, old house.

What loneliness can do! Loveless loneliness can bring mad, maddening madness so tells this story.
Irini Pavlou
Mar 03, 2016 Irini Pavlou rated it really liked it

Creepy lady; I liked her!
Sonya
Jul 21, 2014 Sonya rated it liked it
ین داستان در دنیای فاکنری یعنی شهر خیالی او اتفاق افتاده است .داستان زنی که تسلیم هیچ یک از قانون های شهر نشده زبان روایت این داستان مردم شهر است .که در واقع روایت داستان زندگی او یک گل سرخی است که به او تقدیم می شود . در کل روایت زن ستیزی دیه می شود و زنان موجوداتی پست روایت شده و این موضوع در مورد سیاه پوشتان هم صادق است.

امیلی شاید تنها زنی است که تسلیم این شهر و خواسته های آنها نشده است . یادم می آید جایی خوانده ام که عنوان

a rose for emily

می تواند یه معنی یک "برخاستن " برای امیلی باشد گذشته
Emily Logue
Sep 19, 2011 Emily Logue rated it it was amazing
“A Rose for Emily” is possibly my favorite short story of all time. It is chilling and intriguing seeing Emily go from sympathetic young woman to a reclusive burden. Faulkner leaves just enough hints to make the reader question Emily, making the story a fun guessing game until the final passage, when her actions become clear. I really love the narration of this story, told by someone unknown, but representing the whole town of Jefferson as they watch Emily, one of the last reminders the town has ...more
Sookie
Dec 17, 2014 Sookie rated it really liked it
Faulkner's writing is flawless. His prose is rich, deep and makes the reader works for it. The mood is set to sombre with the very first line of the story and the narration takes a deep dive into the life of Emily.

This short story is a great example for writing horror and macabre. Faulkner's writing shows that graphic depiction of horror and violence isn't necessary to creep the reader or feel the chills. Faulkner does it pretty neatly in this story with his prose.

Don't miss this if you are a f
The Armchair Trav...: * A Rose for Emily & stories* discussion 9 10 Aug 11, 2016 07:38PM
What's The Name o...: SOLVED! [s] 7 171 Jan 03, 2013 11:20PM
  • The Story of an Hour
  • The Minister's Black Veil
  • Everyday Use
  • A Jury of Her Peers
  • The Rocking Horse Winner (Travelman Classics)
  • An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge
  • The Tell-Tale Heart
  • Araby (Dubliners)
  • A Worn Path
  • The Necklace and Other Stories: Maupassant for Modern Times
  • The Monkey's Paw (Oxford Bookworms)
  • The Lady or the Tiger? And, the Discourager of Hesitancy
  • The Scarlet Ibis: The Collection of Wonder
William Cuthbert Faulkner was a Nobel Prize-winning American novelist and short story writer. One of the most influential writers of the twentieth century, his reputation is based mostly on his novels, novellas, and short stories. He was also a published poet and an occasional screenwriter.

The majority of his works are based in his native state of Mississippi. Though his work was published as earl
More about William Faulkner...

“For a long while we just stood there, looking down at the profound and fleshless grin. The body had apparently once lain in the attitude of an embrace, but now the long sleep that outlasts love, that conquers even the
grimace of love, had cuckolded him. What was left of him, rotted beneath what was left of the nightshirt, had become inextricable from the bed in which he lay; and upon him and upon the pillow beside him lay that even coating of the patient and biding dust.
Then we noticed that in the second pillow was the indentation of a head. One of us lifted something from it, and leaning forward, that faint and invisible dust dry and acrid in the nostrils, we saw a long strand of iron-grey hair.”
19 likes
“She carried her head high enough - even when we believed that she was fallen. It was as if she demanded more than ever the recognition of her dignity as the last Grierson; as if it had wanted that touch of earthiness to reaffirm her imperviousness” 6 likes