How to Catch a Star

How to Catch a Star (The Boy #1)

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  1,870 ratings  ·  169 reviews
Once there was a boy, and that boy loved stars very much. So much so that he decided to catch one of his very own. But how? Waiting for them to grow tired from being up in the sky all night doesn't work. Climbing to the top of the tallest tree? No, not tall enough. The boy has a rocket ship . . . but it is made of paper and doesn't fly well at all. Finally, just when the b...more
Published November 6th 2006 by HarperCollinsChildren'sBooks (first published June 3rd 2004)

To ask other readers questions about How to Catch a Star, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Catch a Star

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein
Best children's books EVER
185th out of 988 books — 1,220 voters
Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
Best Picture Books
207th out of 1,175 books — 907 voters

More lists with this book...

Oliver Jeffers has done it again! The man can spin pure magic with such simple words, images, and joys in life.

Our young hero is determined to catch a star. It’s his dream. After waiting, jumping, and stretching though, his dream still looks and feels so far away.

”But in his heart, the wish just wouldn’t give up.”

These big, open, colorful pages will inspire readers of all ages to keep reaching for the stars. Hope and smiles shimmer and shine on every page. Sometimes we need to look at goals and...more
. اليازية خليفة
جميل أن نعلم الأطفال كيف يكونوا حالمين، هذه القصة جعلتني أنا الأخرى أحلم! أحب الفضاء وكنت أحلم بأن أنضم إلى "ناسا" وأزور الكواكب.. ولكن أن تكون النجمة صديقتي فهذا حلم أروع من أن أكتفي بزيارة كوكب!!

ملاحظتي كانت حول فكرة أن تكون النجمة صديقة للولد بذاته، ربما-أقول ربما- اللفظ الذي استخدمه قد يعزز من الأنانية -- وربما لا يؤثر على الإطلاق!
An Abundance of Books
This book has sweet spare illustrations done in beautiful and vibrant colors. Jeffers' use of watercolor gives the simple pictures texture and shading that make the illustrations stand out from the crowd. There are gorgeous dark blues and deep violets, people with cute stick legs, and lollypop trees with a square or two layered over the top. (My first graders loved the stick legs and squares in the trees.)

The Boy goes out looking for a star to be his friend, "they'd play hide-and-go-seek, take l...more
Kayleigh
How to catch a star is a book that could be aimed at the Early Years age or KS1. It is about a boy who is determined to catch a star. He uses his imagination to come up with a number of ways to catch a star and does not give up. The boy waits all day to find the star he wants, but soon realises the star is not going to appear. Once night time falls the star appears.

He uses things such as a life ring to catch to star but soon finds out that this fails as he cannot quite reach it. The boy tries a...more
Ben Phillips
How to Catch a Star is a book for young children that follows the adventures of a small boy who dreams of catching a star to befriend and play with. The book is written by Oliver Jeffers who has written a series of short stories.

It is apparent that the author has placed great emphasis on keeping the sentences simple and descriptive, with the main focus being on the vibrant and colourful pictures used to describe what is going on in a particular scene. The pictures also give class teachers/parent...more
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
I love Oliver Jeffers' books, especially his series about the little boy, of which this is the first book. We had already read the next book, Lost and Found , the one where a lost penguin turns up on his doorstep and he tries to help it find its way home again - such a wonderful book! This one is just as delightful, and really captures the kids' imaginations.

In this story, the boy loves stars and wants one. He tries many different ways to catch a star, like climbing to the top of the tree to rea...more
Fatheha Begum
Jan 18, 2013 Fatheha Begum rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
'HOW TO CATCH A STAR' is a story about a young boy who loves stars and wants to catch a star of his own. When he wakes up one morning he sees there are no stars in the sky so he waits and waits. Finally the sun sets and the boy sees a star and sets out to catch it.How will he ever catch the star? the story is written from the viewpoint of the child,therefore the reasoning and imagination is child like. This is a very sweet story and I would recommend it for children from 5 up. The book has very...more
Rebecca
How to Catch a Star/ Oliver Jeffers/ 2006

Genre: Picture Book/ Fiction

Format: Book

Summary: Once there was a boy, and the boy loved stars very much. Every night he watched stars from his bedroom window and wished that he had one of his own. He dreamed of how this star might be his friend and how they would play together. So one day, the boy decided to try and catch a star...but first he had to think of a plan.

Considerations and Precautions: This is a great story about never giving up on a dream an...more
Kyran Delaney
How to Catch a Star by Oliver Jeffers is amongst one of the most beautiful contemporary children books I have read. I read the book to a Reception Class while on placement. Even though they had already heard the story each one was more than happy to hear it again and again.
The story is told in very basic style in which children are encouraged to dream and reach out for the impossible. It tells the tale of an unnamed boy's quest to catch himself a star from the sky. He sees the stars in the sky o...more
Emma (Miss Print)
Once there was a boy and that boy loved stars very much. In fact, he could think of nothing grander than catching his own star to call his friend in How to Catch a Star (2004) by Oliver Jeffers.

Jeffers's whimsical first picture book blends easy to follow text with sharp, clean illustrations to create something remarkable. Everything about this story invites readers to stop for moment and plan their own scheme to catch that elusive star.

It's not easy to build suspense into a 32 page picture book,...more
Charlotte Gray
‘How to catch a star.’ This title captures the entire essence of the book which is about a little boy trying to catch a star. It is narrated from the point of view of the child and so the logic of how to catch the start is childlike. For example, the little boy will be able to catch a star early in the morning when it is tired as it has been in the sky all night.
The book is well illustrated and is in large format, so children will really feel drawn into the scene. The moral of the book, I belie...more
Claire Russell
How to Catch a Star is a lovely book to read to those in EYFS, but could also be used for later years. It tells the story of a boy who wants to find a star of his very own. He searches everywhere, even trying to go up the moon, but he'd run out of petrol last Tuesday. Just when he is about to give up, he sees a star floating by in the sea, but realises he cannot catch it, he instead catches a starfish which he is delighted with.

The book could be used in PSHE for KS1. The prevailing message bein...more
Amy Higgs
How to Catch a Star is such an endearing book by Oliver Jeffers. The illustrations are wonderful and make you just want to keep reaching for the next page.

The book follows a little boy who dreams of one day catching a star- but how?

The sentences are short and sharp, yet descriptive and the illustrations make you feel as though you are there with the boy looking for that star.

This book would be brilliant for lower ks2, but I think it is suitable for any age and even upper ks2 children will be abl...more
Justyn Rampa
This is Oliver Jeffers first book and I kind of adore this man.

The book flap is almost as important to read as the story and I love his "about the author" blurbs.

This book deals with wanting something only to discover that things aren't where, or what, we expect them to be.

The illustrations are darling and he manages to capture quite a bit of emotion and warmth with very minimalist illustrations.
midnightfaerie
Oliver Jeffers is quickly becoming a household favorite. His unusual story lines and his compelling illustrations make him so much fun to read! Not a lot of words, but still memorable enough to keep my children, both the 5 yr old and the preschoolers, asking for him over and over again. Love this author and am looking forward to reading more of his work.
Becky
This special edition of the book was brought out to celebrate 10 years since it was first published. My children have grown up with Oliver Jeffers and have read most of his work so it was a delight to be sent this to review.

"Once there was a boy and the boy loved stars very much" so he sets off to catch one to keep with him as a friend. Jeffers quirky illustrations and simple texts tell the story in such a delightful way. As adults we know that everything he tries is bound to fail but from a chi...more
Charlotte
'How to catch a star'is a story of a boy who wants to catch a star from the sky.
The boy attempts different ways to catch a star.
This book would be good for for EYFS or KS1 and can be seen as cross curriculur.
The book can be linked into PSHE, literacy and philosophy lessons and is a good starting point for discussions or shared writing tasks
Tricia
Jan 06, 2011 Tricia rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tricia by: Felix
Shelves: 11-01-jan, kids
While this was a pretty book, and a favourite of the boys' I was visiting with, I was underwhelmed by a disjointed story that didn't really have any cause and effect. The protagonist wants a star and tries various ways and ends up getting his wish, but there wasn't any rhyme or reason for this ending and no lessons learned.
Barbara
In his debut picture book featuring a boy--he appears in three other subsequent picture books--Oliver Jeffers provides a visual meditation on friendship and reaching for things that seem to be out of our reach. For some reason, the boy at the center of the story is fascinated by the stars. He dreams of catching one and imagines the fun they can have together. But despite his best efforts, he is unsuccessful until one day, right before his eyes, his wish comes true. In the same way that a watched...more
Bernice Gill
This book has a very nice moral behind it that may not be very easy to spot. The book follows a young boy who looks at the stars and wonders what it would be like to own catch one and make it his friend.

The young boy has to attempt many different ways in order to catch his star and eventually succeeds by being patient and waiting for the star to come to him. The picture are very child friendly, they are simple and colourful.

What I feel is the moral behind this story is that it teaches children...more
Cruth
Author/Illustrator: Oliver Jeffers
First Published: 2004

Simple story full of imaginative play, science and reasoning. A little future classic.

Age:
Read aloud - 3+
Read yourself - 6+

References:
Oliver Jeffers website: http://www.oliverjeffers.com/

(ISBN 978-0-00-722807-2)

-CR-
Emma
How to Catch a Star is a simple but charming story of a little boy who loves stars very much. He decides to catch one as he imagines a star would make a very good friend. With childlike ingenuity, he tries all sorts of methods to capture a star for himself. For example, climbing the tallest tree he can find, building a rocket ship but as it’s made of paper it doesn’t fly very well. He then decides that morning would be the best time to try to catch a star “because then the star would be tired fr...more
Brenda Coughlan
How to Catch a Star is the first picture book by Jeffers and is a charming and engaging read for young pupils. I used this book during story telling in Reception class and it ties in nicely to the topic of Space. The story is based around a young boy who desperately desires a star of his won. His general inquisitive nature and curiosity see him try a variety of methods to catch one before he finally finds a starfish at the end of the book. The book offers a window into the mind of a young boy pl...more
José García
Libro muy imaginativo, muy poético y muy bien ilustrado. Un niño está enamorado de las estrellas y quiere una para él solo. Intenta conseguirla de varias maneras pero nunca la consigue. En la orilla del mar ve una estrella pequeña e trata de cogerla. En la playa lo conseguirá, un final estupendo e inteligente. Ideal para contar a niños pequeños y no tanto. Las ilustraciones son fantásticas cerca del álbum ilustrado.
Recomendable 100x100
Melissa
The illustrations are still good, but not quite as creative as THE INCREDIBLE BOOK EATING BOY. The ending of the story is just to perfect to not love the entire book.

Read my blog post for more book reviews by the same author http://forsweetwords.blogspot.com/
Talya
Since I was a child, I love stars a lot, maybe taking after mama coz she likes them a lot and kept saying to me that she imagined her father is there, since then my dream was to fly high and catch a star, later when I grow, I was surprised that the Great King Mufasa in "Lion King" said similar thing to mom.
There was a very big, lonely and bright star, dazzling in the east side, I loved that star and told mom that it'll be mine.

When I read this story I saw my little self next to mom, reading i...more
Lora
This is a lovely book from such a simple idea, it is very imaginative and touching. I would recommend this book for both children and adults.
Lenora Rose
One of Joseph's recent favourites, though he's gone off it a bit for now. (He's two. he's obsessed and then he's fickle.) And I quite like the story.
Kaethe
I rather like Jeffer's style of art, but the plot is merely okay. It's a little too pat for my tastes.

Library copy.
Dominic
Although we read so many books to Jude, some beautiful and clever and some just ok, I only feel the urge to post the very, very special. This was a Christmas present because Jude is--no exaggeration--obsessed with stars.

This turned out to be the first book where we truly participated in the reading of it. He surprised us when he started finishing the sentences before we could. He had only memorized the words, but still pretty darn momentous.
  • The Snail and the Whale
  • A Book of Sleep
  • Bear Has a Story to Tell
  • Tiny Little Fly
  • Penguin
Oliver Jeffers makes art.

From figurative painting and installation to illustration and picture-book making, his work has been exhibited in New York, Dublin, London, Sydney, Washington DC, Belfast and elsewhere.
A co-founder of the art collective OAR, their exhibitions include 9 days in Belfast, book and the award winning BUILDING.
Illustration clients include Orange UK, Lavazza, Sony PSP, RCA Recor...more
More about Oliver Jeffers...
Lost and Found Stuck The Incredible Book Eating Boy This Moose Belongs to Me The Heart and the Bottle