Mortalis (Corona: DemonWars)

Mortalis (Corona)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  1,448 ratings  ·  15 reviews
The long struggle is over at last. The demon dactyl is no more, its dark sorceries shattered by the gemstone magic wielded by the woman known as Pony. But victory did not come easily. Many lives were lost, including Pony’s lover, the elf-trained ranger Elbryan Wynden.

Despite the dactyl’s demise, the kingdom still seethes in the same cauldron of plots and machinations. But...more
Published April 1st 2001 by Turtleback Books (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Mortalis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mortalis

Benjamin Thomas
R.A. Salvatore has written his absolute best book to date. That is not easy for me to say, because I have read most of his works, and always enjoy them. Sometimes his novels are full of action but fall a little short on plot. Sometimes they have mostly strong characterizations but almost always there are one or two who seem out-of-place or need some rounding out. But his stories always bring enjoyment to my reading eyes.

But this time, he has topped all of his previous efforts. Even his Dark Elf...more
Kristin
I really really liked this book. There was so many different things going on in Corona. So many different people and so many different stories. There was so much chaos and pain going on throughout the entire book. The Rosie Plague found its way to Corona and spread throughout the land. There was no hope and the Monks and the King and his men hid from the plague. There were few that were brave enough to go out and help the victims of the plague. Very few.

After the horrible pains and trials that P...more
Jeff
I put off reading this book for a long time after finishing the previous trilogy because I was not overly impressed with those books. However, I after finally getting back into the series for some summertime travel reading, I found this book rather enjoyable. It is an introduction to the second Demonwars Saga, and picks up the story of Jilseponie, the royalty of Honce-the-Bear, and the Abellican church shortly after the previous trilogy ends. More than anything else it is a story of change and t...more
Darren
A solid 3.5 - a decent segue between the Demonwars saga and the next trilogy. To my mind, a little heavy on the church politics and Jilseponie angle. Also, at times the dialogue felt a little too forced, if I can say that.

I preferred the original trilogy to this book, actually, despite the fact that I could really feel the emotion through RAS' writing.
Justin Harvey
Possibly Salvatore's best work to date. As a fluke, it was the one Demon Wars novel in the library that I went to several years ago, and despite being the transition book for the two Demon Wars trilogies, I was able to get right into it. Salvatore brings more emotion into this book than any previous works. Highly recommended.
Kyleigh
Pretty good. Slower than the others have been. I was pretty disappointed by this book because I have heard from many sources, including Salvatore himself, that this is the best book he’s ever written. I just didn’t feel that. It was good enough, but not great, and certainly not the best he’s done. I liked where Pony ended up, but watching her get there was a little painful. Francis was the true hero of the novel, giving any hope of life to follow his beliefs. The whole plague theme had a lot goi...more
Debbie
I had a hard time getting into this book. I kept putting it down for the first half. It just wasn't as compelling at first as the last series had been. Maybe it was the fact that there wasn't some evil force to be fighting, just disease and indifference. Also, the whole sequence about Prince Midalis befriending the Alpinadorians wasn't especially interesting to me. By the end, though, I found myself drawn in. I will definitely be reading the rest of these.
Jeff
Had to bail out about 2/3 of the way through. I really liked the first book of the series, second was good but not as good as first, third was good but not as good as second, and Mortalis just went too far away from the characters I liked to be enjoyable for me.
A
Newton Tio Nitro
This book the two trilogies of the world of Corona. Nice book to enter the series.

Esse livro liga as duas trilogias do mundo Corona. Ótimo livro e funciona até sozinho, como uma obra completa. Temas: sofrimento, sacrifício, fé.
Jefferson F
Didn't really enjoy this book as much, it felt like Salvatore started spinning his wheels in the third act I'm not sure If I will be finishing this series.
Nessa
Demon Wars series is too tied to religion / church for my taste. I prefer the books in the Forgotten Realm series
Ruth Kyle-devendorf
Had to finish this book before i started my next paper!! =) only have 3 books left in the series....
Ash
The main character's name is "Pony". It's been years, and I still can't get over that.
Rj Roles
another really good book in the series
Raye (MyEvergrowingTBR)
Raye (MyEvergrowingTBR) marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Ben Fried-lee
Ben Fried-lee marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Elaine
Elaine marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Peter Sarant
Peter Sarant marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
  • Condemnation (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #3)
  • Annihilation (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #5)
  • Insurrection (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #2)
  • Resurrection (Forgotten Realms:  War of the Spider Queen, #6)
  • Extinction (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #4)
  • Dissolution (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #1)
  • Daughter of the Drow (Starlight & Shadows #1)
  • Realms of Valor (Forgotten Realms: Anthologies, #1)
  • Elminster in Myth Drannor (Forgotten Realms: Elminster, #2)
  • The Siege (Forgotten Realms: Return of the Archwizards, #2)
  • Realms of Magic (Forgotten Realms: Anthologies, #3)
  • Empire of Blood (Dragonlance: The Minotaur Wars, #3)
As one of the fantasy genre’s most successful authors, R.A. Salvatore enjoys an ever-expanding and tremendously loyal following. His books regularly appear on The New York Times best-seller lists and have sold more than 10,000,000 copies. Salvatore’s most recent original hardcover, The Two Swords, Book III of The Hunter’s Blade Trilogy (October 2004) debuted at # 1 on The Wall Street Journal best-...more
More about R.A. Salvatore...
Homeland (Forgotten Realms: The Dark Elf Trilogy, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #1) Exile (Forgotten Realms: The Dark Elf Trilogy, #2; Legend of Drizzt, #2) Sojourn (Forgotten Realms: The Dark Elf Trilogy, #3; Legend of Drizzt, #3) The Crystal Shard (Forgotten Realms: Icewind Dale, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #4) The Halfling's Gem (Forgotten Realms: Icewind Dale, #3; Legend of Drizzt, #6)