Start by marking “The Demon Awakens (Corona: The DemonWars Saga, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Demon Awakens (Corona: The DemonWars Saga, #1)

The Demon Awakens (The DemonWars Saga #1)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  3,683 ratings  ·  79 reviews
In THE DEMON AWAKENS, bestselling author R. A. Salvatore creates an astonishing new world for readers to explore--and an intrepid hero to lead the way: Elbryan Wynden, who must confront the dark tides of destiny in his epic search for justice and peace . . .

A great evil has awakened in the land of Corona, a terrible demon determined to spread death and misery. His goblin a
Published February 5th 2002 by Ballantine Books (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Demon Awakens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Demon Awakens

David "proud member of Branwen's adventuring party"
Buddy-Read with the most wonderful Branwen!

Dave's Quick Judgement -

THE DEFENSE
- The three main characters are all fascinating in their own unique ways.
- Salvatore's writing has matured, resulting in more depth than his previous work.
- Salvatore's ability to write beautifully detailed action sequences extends to all aspects of the book this time around.
- Book never stops being exciting from the first page to the last.
- Enough humor is mixed in with the drama to make the book both fun an
Branwen *Blaidd Drwg*
Another lovely buddy read with the wonderful David! Such a pleasure to have him as my book buddy! :)

photo book-buddies-recolored_zpsd0bd5089.jpg

photo 1467263_698483820169563_2066138752_n_zps27e32f90.jpg

“We are all dying, every moment that passes of every day. That is the inescapable truth of this existence. It is a truth that can paralyze us with fear, or one that can energize us with impatience, with the desire to explore and experience, with the hope- nay, the iron-will!- to find a memory in every action. To be alive, under sunshine, or starlight, in weather fair or stormy. To dance with eve
Kristin
Yet again, another book by Salvatore that I really enjoyed.. The characters are flawless (Salvatore's characters usually are).. Drizzt will always be my favorite Character of his, but these characters were amazing too..
This is slightly different than the Forgotten Realms books, because it takes place in a different world, Corona.. Elbryan and Pony were separated from each other at the age of 12 when goblins attacked their home and killed everyone that lived there.. They both thought the other w
Jason
Even though I sometimes find Salvatore's books to be a bit to oriented to the young adult crowd, I still find myself enjoying his writing style. If you have never read anything from him before, he is unique in his descriptive prose of nearly every fight scene. He loves the step by step play calling that makes you feel like you are right there. This is standard sword and sorcery here but done by a master. I recommend this one.
Suzanne
The first three quarters of the book is more of a 3-star kind of book, but the last quarter is more of a one star kind of book, so overall, I'm calling it 2-stars.

I was on board for the world creation and character set up. I think perhaps there were too many characters for the story line to support, but it wasn't as if there were so many to be confusing. The world was different enough from his other material to feel new, and the way magic works in his world is original. I would have liked a litt
Dominik
Raquel
So far the book is very good, really gets my heart rate up. Especially the elves. I've never had a group of elves piss me off so badly as the Corona Elves do! If Mr. Salvatore was going for "different", he sicceeded!! And as usual, his writing style gets under my skin in a heartbeat. This is a GOOD thing!
Eric
This series is a lot like the drizzt books. An elf, a girl. A hero. It was a fairly good book and his action scenes were, as always, riveting. These are hefty books that read like short essays. I might read these again if nothing else was around but maybe not.
Joseph Andersen
I love most of Salvatores stuff. But I just couldn't finish this. It's too much like his forgotten realms stuff, just with different names.
Books-treasureortrash
0 rating: 0 treasure box and 0 trash cans

This book takes place on a world that is equivalent to our pre-technological world, but it includes Goblins, Giants, Dwarfs, Elves, Demons and magic. It starts out with 3 different, seemingly unrelated people and events, the first is the re-awakening of our antagonist the demon dactyl, the second is an introduction of our protagonist Elbryan Wyndon, who is thirteen years old, the third is a young monk named Avelyn.

I really enjoyed the first third of the b
Wickedshizuku
Jan 05, 2013 Wickedshizuku rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy fans, Science Fiction fans
Recommended to Wickedshizuku by: Becky Dauma
Shelves: 2013, reviewed
Yay I am so glad to have found this. I have heard so much about Salvatore over the years, but just have not had the time or resources for the series. So this will be my very first read with Salvatore.
I will let you know what I think, so the review to come.

Interesting. I wasn't expecting this to start with two preteens. I was expecting the scary demon. I think I was expecting late teens to be the heroes. Maybe this will have several plots that eventually intertwine. I'll have to get back to you
Forgotten Realms Queen
First thing's first, it took me about a month to read this book because there is just so much going on I had to take my time with it or risk missing something and having to backtrack. Really, there's so much going on here that I think it could have been easily chopped into two books that would have been a lighter read, but I think this one worked out pretty well.

So here we are introduced to Salvatore's world of Corona. Corona is little different from our world during the Medieval ages: there are
Zack
As always, Salvatore has crafted a masterful saga. Full of suspense and heroism, there is more story than should rightfully be able to fit in a single novel.
Which is both a strength and a weakness. With all the growth the characters experience-and there's a lot!-there is almost TOO much. Salvatore often uses a page or more relaying development, much of which can ends up being repetitive, with the growth or epiphany only in the last paragraph or so and not needing the exposition that came before.
Brandon Burrup
It has always been a policy of mine to keep a copy of every book I read. I haven't done so 1005 but this is one example of that policy in action. I really enjoyed this book as I read it. I loved the insight into each of the different characters, the monk finding the amethyst on the island where it rained jewels was truly mystical to me, not to mention the material grown by the elves and used to craft weapons. Stronger than metal but incredibly light. I don't remember much about the story other t ...more
Andrea O'Brien
I have not read many books by R.A Salvatore but fantasy shelves are full for his series. I had a friend recommend this set to me because Salvatore is not under the thumb of Forgotten Realms. I did not mind this book but I have read better fantasy. The story was predictable and the characters were fairly stereotypical. It was enjoyable but largely unsurprising. I did get annoyed with the naming system of both characters and places it seems that Mr. Salvatore believes something does not sound like ...more
Elaine
Rick English
OK, There is something about sword and sorcery that I admit to liking. I came across several audio books by this prolific author. I decided to start with one of his later series.

Overall pretty good. Also pretty predictable. He does have lengthy fight scenes and no graphic sex. However, lovemaking and an attempted rape are there.

I'll wait to try one of the sequels.
Jessica
I always hear other authors compared to R.A. Salvatore, so I thought I'd better see just what this guy was all about.

The Demon Awakens is the first is Salvatore's acclaimed Demon Wars series so I started there. I'd give you the general story line but I'm really tired. And lazy. There's good guys and bad guys and some good guys who used to be bad guys.

The ending is not the "happily ever after" that makes me cringe, so that's a plus but the author made his elves appear more like pixies and I just
Joseph Santiago
Started this as a book and then slipped into the graphic audio version of it. It is a good story but if you have read a previous stories of the author's work it may be difficult to get into at first. I loved the elfin training scenes described here. This was a good read.

Mr. Joe
Clicque
Surgi du pass�, le mal s'�tend de nouveau sur les terres de Corona. Un d�mon s'est �veill� et r�pand d�j� le malheur et la mort. Ses arm�es de gobelins et d'effroyables g�ants ravagent les hameaux des fronti�res, telle petit village de Dundalis, o� elles laissent deux orphelins bris�s, Elbryan, un jeune gar�on, et Pony, son amie de toujours. Adopt� par les elfes, Elbryan va recevoir l'entra�nement qui fera de lui un r�deur, un h�ros intr�pide �pris de justice et de paix. Loin de l�, une pluie de ...more
Benjamin
I reread this a few times but most recently on an e-reader. The book combines good old fashined fantasy with a few interesting twists. It is based around three main characters and their combined journeys. Two of these charaters coming from a simple country setting, which morphs both them and it through varied trials and tribulations into some awesome fighters and other things. The otherbeing a monk/priest who has the ability to manipulate stone magic, a new twist but utilizing the stones of our ...more
Joe
Page after page of writing about places and characters without any emotion tied to any of them - the words spoke of a character's emotion towards a loss of another or a battle, but nothing was ever really "felt" and I could not get myself to care - every time I picked up the book, I would read, and the chapter would bore me enough to have to read again, because I always felt like I missed something - the bulk of what I digested went down like soggy sandpaper, and I enjoy Salavtore for the most p ...more
Stacey Chancellor
I have read the actual novels by R.A. Salvatore, and they were a lot of fun. Having said that, the graphic novel was ok. Not horrible to say the least, but defintaely not as good as the books. Again, I like it when something you appreciate comes up in a different venue, but it is rarely as good as the original.

The artwork was actually really well done, and brought out the fantastic nature of this story. I did have one major problem with it, and it went a long way as to help determine the rating.
Dan Panke
A very good book to start a series. I really enjoyed the characters but was sad to see that many of them "bit the dust".
Fred
Ah man . . . I think I read this what . . . twelve years ago now? I'm going to give it a five star rating because that's what I would have given it at the time. I'll say that my tastes have evolved over time and I probably wouldn't care for this book too much at this point in my life. If you know someone who is in high school and who likes the genres of Science Fiction and Fantasy this is for them, if you know someone who is older than say . . . twenty one years old and likes science fiction and ...more
John
I came into this book with high hopes and while they weren't exactly dashed they weren't quite met either. I suppose it's probably typical for an author with as many books that are all primarily fantasy but while the book indeed was quite good it just came across as too derivative of his other works as well. Different lands, different characters, rather similar stories/plots.

I've got the rest of this series as well as the next but I find myself in no real rush to get to them which just leaves me
John
I have read several of the author's Drittz books and really enjoy them. This was also quite good and I will pick up the next book in the series as I get the chance. That being said, it wasn't perfect. I found several of the resolutions to conflicts to be a little anticlimactic. The fights were well described but seemed to end with "and then the heroes win".

I would be curious if this is one of the author's earlier works, since it seems a liitle weak compared to the other books I've read.
Victoria
After coming from a Sanderson, my rating may be a bit harsh. 3.5

Ill review my rating after the second installment.
Catherine
I tried to finish this for the longest time, putting it down, then returning to it. In the end I just gave up. I literally hated all the main characters. Their names repulsed me -- really! I know it sounds foolish, but it's true. Not all that well written, and in the end, a poor entry in the overcrowded fantasy-epic genre. I have to remember not to read any more of Salvatore's work -- he's disappointed me before.
Kyleigh
This book was pretty good. I guess I was expecting something a little bit more from Salvatore. The beginning was fabulous, as we watch the three main characters develop and form. After the three reunite, however, the power behind the story is gone. It starts to seem as though Salvatore didn’t know what to do with these wonderful characters he created, so he just sends them off on a Lord-of-the-Rings style quest.
  • Insurrection (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #2)
  • Dissolution (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #1)
  • Annihilation (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #5)
  • Resurrection (Forgotten Realms:  War of the Spider Queen, #6)
  • Extinction (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #4)
  • Condemnation (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #3)
  • King's Property (Queen of the Orcs, #1)
  • The Best of Robert E. Howard: Crimson Shadows (Volume 1)
  • Daughter of the Drow (Starlight & Shadows #1)
  • Realms of Valor (Forgotten Realms: Anthologies, #1)
  • Elminster in Myth Drannor (Forgotten Realms: Elminster, #2)
  • Pool of Radiance (Forgotten Realms: Pools, #1)
  • Darkwalker on Moonshae (Forgotten Realms: The Moonshae Trilogy, #1)
  • Changelings
  • The Summoning (Forgotten Realms: Return of the Archwizards, #1)
  • Wit'ch Fire (The Banned and the Banished, #1)
As one of the fantasy genre’s most successful authors, R.A. Salvatore enjoys an ever-expanding and tremendously loyal following. His books regularly appear on The New York Times best-seller lists and have sold more than 10,000,000 copies. Salvatore’s most recent original hardcover, The Two Swords, Book III of The Hunter’s Blade Trilogy (October 2004) debuted at # 1 on The Wall Street Journal best- ...more
More about R.A. Salvatore...
Homeland (Forgotten Realms: The Dark Elf Trilogy, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #1) Exile (Forgotten Realms: The Dark Elf Trilogy, #2; Legend of Drizzt, #2) Sojourn (Forgotten Realms: The Dark Elf Trilogy, #3; Legend of Drizzt, #3) The Crystal Shard (Forgotten Realms: Icewind Dale, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #4) The Halfling's Gem (Forgotten Realms: Icewind Dale, #3; Legend of Drizzt, #6)

“And all our gods are one God,” Avelyn replied quickly, not wanting to offend the elf. “A God of differing names perhaps, but of similar tenets. And when those tenets are misinterpreted,” the monk went on, his voice turning grave, “when they are used for personal gain or as a” 0 likes