Start by marking “Honey from a Weed: Fasting and Feasting in Tuscany, Catalonia, the Cyclades and Apulia” as Want to Read:

4.38 of 5 stars 4.38  ·  rating details  ·  100 ratings  ·  18 reviews
This book is perhaps the jewel in Prospect’s crown. Within a few months of its first appearance in 1986 it was hailed as a modern classic. Fiona MacCarthy wrote in The Times that, ‘the book is a large and grandiose life history, a passionate narrative of extremes of experience.’ Jeremy Round called Patience Gray ‘the high priestess of cooking’, whose book ‘pushes the form ...more
Published March 3rd 2001 by Prospect Books (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Honey from a Weed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Honey from a Weed

Rachel
Pista e Coza

In this town there were still some old quarrymen left, whose working day for 40 years began at 3 o'clock in the morning by making breakfast, before walking up the mountains to the quarries, carrying their boots to save the leather, with a fiasco of wine and a merenda tied in a bundle. A retired quarryman called Catossi had a great reputation as a gran' mangiatore, a real gourmand, and this is what he cooked.

Getting up in the dark, he took his stonemason's hammer and banged that recal
Jennifer Smith
I want to grab your shoulders and shake you while yelling, " you don't understand! This book, this history, this cookbook, this novel! THIS is my #1 book. I shall always make pesto with mortar and pestle now because of this book. I shall always think of man as "nostalgia and a search for communion." Chickpeas, broad beans, quince jams, ewe's cheeses, pigeons, weeds, bilberries and little almond cakes dance in my head!"
Diana
A charming look back for us and the writer who went as far back as 1960 from 1986 when she wrote the book. It's about eating locally with the seasons, foraging and making do with what you have.

Taken directly from the text: "The current of this book swirls to and for between five areas of the Mediterranean. In order of time, the places where the author and the sculptor have lived are:
CASTELPOGGIO, a mountain town above Carrara
VENDRELL near Tarragona in Catalonia
APPOLANA on Naxos
LA BAROZZO in the
Tess
This was a book I came to with high expectations. It is the kind of food writing I like; a mixture of food, travel and places, biography and personal passion.

It is a book that amazes me with its observation. The vivid pictures it draws of the places are so memorable and I can bring those images my mind as I write this review. The writing about the food is so rich, so graphic in its detail and scope. It is clearly written from a huge depth of knowledge. It is a treasure of a book and I am glad to
K.
Elderberry, samphire, wild fennel, wood sorrel.
Tim
Wonderful, a good read as much as a cookery book
Scott
Sep 22, 2011 Scott rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Readers of biography, vicarious travel, Mediterranean foodways
A re-read.I can read this once a year, and still enjoy it. A unique book on doing with and without: seasonal fare, a buzzword now, is a eat or go hungry option in the locales featured in this memoir. Gray writes flinty prose, and offers a glimpse into a presumably vanished way of life.A way that sometimes includes hunger. Advice on cooking a fox is included. Fascinating details of Mediterranean peasant and artist life while searching for stone for The Artist.

There are recipes,Jim,but not as we k
Faith McLellan
I have dipped in and out of this book for years, but decided this weekend to do it all in one go. A great work of imagination, history, and culture. Not much for cooking here, I think, as I can't imagine making Pigs' Tongues with Pomegranate Sauce for any occasion. But lovely prose and very evocative.
Ann Nordquist
This is one of those books that is a treasure and not so easy to find. I found my copy years ago in Goodwill and it will be one of those cookbooks and food writing books that I will pass on to the next generation in my family. If you like M.F.K. Fisher, you will love this book.
Emily
I read this in the heart of tomato season and learned all about the traditional harvesting, preparing, preserving, and feasting of tomatoes throughout the Mediterranean, as well as olives (and olive oil!), all sorts of herbs, and other delicious healthy treats.
Sophie James
This is a feast of a book; both memoir and recipes. Open air fires and baking ovens for the whole village, edible weeds, seeds, wine and olives, living entirely by the seasons, when there was real feast and famine. A picture of a time now gone.
Lauren
Jul 17, 2008 Lauren rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: food
Beautiful and simple. This is a very romantic view of the journey of cooking. From the pot you cook in to the basic roux of a sauce, it will leave you aching for a wood fired stove in the Italian countryside.
Katharine
Beautiful cookbook. I first heard about it in the BBC special with Rick Stein (great show). He tours the author's home with a sense of awe that was inspiring. It was a gorgeous, simple home and garden.
Angela
This is what food and travel writing should be. It is so evocative of place, of the ancient landscape of Tuscany. It is not a book for rich Americans renovating houses.
Jon Cullum
The best cookery book I have ever read. How would I ever known how to get the seeds from a pomegranate without this book.
Crystal
Aug 19, 2013 Crystal is currently reading it
I'm slowly making my way through this - it's so lovely, I can only take a chunk at a time.
Valerie
Aug 19, 2008 Valerie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Valerie by: Marcia
Shelves: cookbooks
Filled with the joys of Tuscan cooking. A fantastic history/memoir of this region.
Deidre
wonderful.
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Jessica Pendez
Jessica Pendez marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Elizabeth Isadora Gold
Elizabeth Isadora Gold marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Kim Odell
Kim Odell marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Deborah Martinez
Deborah Martinez marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
Cristi
Cristi marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
dan
dan marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Simple French Food
  • Italian Food
  • The Raw and the Cooked: Adventures of a Roving Gourmand
  • The Taste of Country Cooking
  • Silk Road Cooking: A Vegetarian Journey
  • Foraged Flavor: Finding Fabulous Ingredients in Your Backyard or Farmer's Market, with 88 Recipes
  • Cooking by Hand
  • Real Cooking (tpb)
  • The Splendid Table
  • The Cooking of Southwest France: Recipes from France's Magnificient Rustic Cuisine
  • A Girl and Her Pig: Recipes and Stories
  • When French Women Cook: A Gastronomic Memoir
  • The Book of Jewish Food: An Odyssey from Samarkand to New York
  • Hot Sour Salty Sweet: A Culinary Journey Through Southeast Asia
  • Sunday Suppers at Lucques: Seasonal Recipes from Market to Table
  • Chez Panisse Fruit
  • Full Moon Feast: Food and the Hunger for Connection
  • Madhur Jaffrey Indian Cooking
Plats Du Jour, or Foreign Food The Centaur's Kitchen Honey from a Weed: Fasting & Feasting in Tuscany, Catalonia, the Cyclades & Apulia Ring Doves And Snakes New Larousse Gastronomique: The World's Greatest Cookery Reference Book