Start by marking “Healing Wise (Wise Woman Herbal Series)” as Want to Read:
Healing Wise (Wise Woman Herbal Series)

Healing Wise (Wise Woman Herbal Series)

4.34  ·  Rating Details  ·  972 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
Feels like a new unread copy. No crease to spine. 1989 edition, 295 pages, Introduction by Jean Houston, Phd. Mild shelf and edge wear from normal handling. Satisfaction guaranteed!
Published December 1st 1990 by Ash Tree Publishing (first published July 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Healing Wise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Healing Wise

The Herbal Medicine-Maker's Handbook by James  GreenMaking Plant Medicine by Richard A. CechHealing Wise by Susun S. WeedRosemary Gladstar's Herbal Recipes for Vibrant Health by Rosemary GladstarA Modern Herbal by Margaret Grieve
Best Herbalism Books
3rd out of 76 books — 35 voters
Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon MorellSacred Plant Medicine by Stephen Harrod BuhnerThe Fourfold Path to Healing by Thomas S. CowanRosemary Gladstar's Medicinal Herbs by Rosemary GladstarHerbal Teas by Kathleen Brown
Favorite herbal/natural health books
11th out of 52 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Tami
Apr 14, 2008 Tami rated it it was amazing
Wise Woman Herbal: Healing Wise looks at health and healing from a completely different perspective than any other resource I've ever consulted. Instead of looking at illness as something needing medication (as in western scientific medicine) or as the result of some sort of bodily imbalance (as in traditional eastern medicine), this book looks at illness as an opportunity.

At first, I have to admit that this concept sounded really strange to me. What sort of opportunity is suffering from Chroni
Linn Wiggins
Nov 07, 2013 Linn Wiggins rated it really liked it
Shelves: herbals, influences
Another grandmother of herbal medicine, Susun tells it how it is.

She has a really different take on herbs to many other writers out there - in that she is very connected to the spirits of plants. I personally love how she allows each plant to tell their story in their own words.

But there is no denying Susun knows her stuff. The medicinal qualities of the plants are really well researched, her insights are clear and sharp on medicinal uses and great recipes.

I love that she uses really commonly a
Kat
Jun 20, 2012 Kat rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Green witches, healers, wild women
I really like this silly magical little book. At first you open the book and think, Who is this new-age whack job and what is she trying to say? Upon closer inspection, this book is an outstanding resource full of true wisdom and practical applications of common plants in healing. I feel that I will return to this book again and again for information and inspiration as I get to know my plant allies. I think the book would have been stronger if it spent less time explaining the scientific and her ...more
AJ
May 08, 2010 AJ rated it liked it
---

This book is, quite simply, something else. I couldn't get through the first section without skimming, it was just way too Earth-Mother for my taste.

The sections on the "weeds" were cool but I found it annoying how she wrote from the weed perspective, and I had to completely skip the dandelion section which was in a fake French accent.

Read this book only if you don't mind reading stuff like "Think of chickweed as increasing your permeability to solar, lunar, universal and cosmic en
Kat
Apr 26, 2013 Kat rated it liked it
This book has too much "New Age" mumbo jumbo. However, that being said, I continue to drink my herbal infusion everyday.
Jan 05, 2009 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: herbs-herbals
Basic herbal for women. A good entry guide for developing relationships with healing plants. Magical.
Maja Haloway
Nov 12, 2010 Maja Haloway rated it really liked it
Charming story-telling and helpful herbal information to help women keep themselves healthy and happy.
Kristen Brockmeyer
Aug 27, 2013 Kristen Brockmeyer rated it really liked it
Great information - this belongs on my reference shelf forever.
Mandy
Jan 13, 2013 Mandy rated it it was amazing
Inspirational writing in the voice of each plant.
k
Jan 26, 2016 k rated it it was amazing
i have immense gratitude for Susun Weed. In an indirect way, she changed my life, and i am thankful. Defiantly opinionated, she shares in a frank and direct way a lifetime's worth of practical knowledge. The student/ patient is free to pursue, practice and research as they wish from there. Hooray for free will! Herbal medicine can be as close as the back door, and as easy as boiling water. Nourishing and supportive, this wise woman shares ways to enjoy the gift of life with good health. Green Bl ...more
Stephanie Solomon
Jan 24, 2008 Stephanie Solomon rated it liked it
Fun but WAY over the top.
Sandra Holladay
Dec 26, 2014 Sandra Holladay rated it really liked it
Susun keeps her plant allies to a minimum (7) which allows her to fully cover the benefits of these healing herbs. In addition, they are common herbs/weeds that are easily found for those of us in North America (i.e., never used Burdock before and the local health store didn’t carry it because it was “so plentiful” in the area. After googling what it looked like and where found I looked around and found lots of it on the trail behind our house). The section on the ‘Herbal Pharmacy’ is excellent, ...more
Mary Follis
Mar 21, 2016 Mary Follis rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
Recommended in conjunction with an herb class, this is a great source book for herbs and their medicinal uses. Extremely alternative and well-informed, this author, Susun Weed, sounds like a fanatic but under that layer is a fount of information; the more I read and learn, the less fanatic she sounds.
Grace
Jun 12, 2015 Grace rated it it was ok
Shelves: feminism
The information here seems pretty cool and useful (maybe I'll go picking some dandelions some time) but the presentation is pretty bad and often a bit culturally imperialistic (she even cites Carlos Castaneda at one point lol). The theology is interesting I guess. Her tone was almost constantly grating.
ryn
Oct 20, 2009 ryn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: herbalism
this is a unique herbal. Susun Weed focuses on seven common plants and details their multiple uses and personalities, devoting full chapters to each. she lays out a distinction between the scientific, heroic, and wise woman traditions in healing arts, explaining how the one "fixes", the other "cleanses", and the last nourishes the whole human. Weed is very conscious to offer information in forms palatable to both sides of the brain / different styles of learning, and the tone feels friendly and ...more
Taylor
Apr 26, 2007 Taylor rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: the beginning herbalist
If you have an interest in the plants around you and herbal/natural medicine, this is an excellent place to start. Susun Weed walks with you through 6 or 7 specific plants, getting down to the details of each one. It's a good way to meet the ideas of natural medicine without leaping headfirst into the complexities of A Modern Herbal or other more esoteric works. Weed is an herbalist par-excellence and the information is all extremely solid. Easy to work with, delightful to read, a joy to recomme ...more
Courtney
Nov 10, 2008 Courtney rated it liked it
Shelves: 2008
This book has been in the queue for awhile, just picked it back up. Had a lot of good recipes and also instructions for preparing herbal medicines. The writing style was not my favorite, (the author writes from the point of view of the plant, and somewhat annoyingly, gave some of the plants accents.) This book, along with a field guide, is a great starter for anyone looking to use locally growing plants (otherwise known as weeds) as medicine.
Racheal
Jan 23, 2016 Racheal rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, health
The cover is HILARIOUS. There's some interesting information in here, for sure. I definitely agree with the discussion of the scientific healing tradition and how it tends to treat the symptoms of disease and to view health as simply lacking major illness. The way it is written, though--a bit too wackadoo for my taste :P
Amber dePixi
Mar 16, 2008 Amber dePixi rated it really liked it
Shelves: herbal-reference
While I don't agree 100% with her philosophy, Susun Weed's indepth relationship with our "green allies" is a great way to learn, and to change your mind from focusing on "dis-ease" and working with being healthy!

The online forums are awesome too. :)
Sharon E.
Feb 18, 2008 Sharon E. rated it it was amazing
Every woman needs a copy of this book in her health reference section. I learned about common "weeds" that are overlooked by many of us and how they fortify our pre-menopausal and menopausal systems. I love Susun Weed and her style of conveying wisdom.
Diane Bluegreen
Oct 07, 2010 Diane Bluegreen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
i love this book for its philosophy the most...the theory rather than the practical stuff. it's worth buying for that alone,and i've bought more than one copy of this book...because i couldn't find my copy,and i wanted to always have it at hand.
Aug 18, 2010 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in healing with plants! One of the best I've read in a while, Susan Weed as a interesting way of blending words so that it's almost like reading chants.
Joelle
May 13, 2008 Joelle added it
Covers only a few herbs, but very indepth information about them. She writes about them as if they had personalities, which makes it easy to understand and remember their properties. (and enjoyable reading!)
Jennie
Jun 16, 2008 Jennie rated it really liked it
certainly not for everyone. but this was a good read for me right now. encourages me to take another foraging tour, too, and maybe make something more than just food from my findings.
Janice
Apr 24, 2011 Janice rated it it was amazing
I really enjoy Susun Weed's books. Susan explains the wisdom of the Wise Woman tradition of healing as she introduces some basic healing herbs.
Debbie Vanover
I refer to this often

veggloverherbaltraditions.wordpress.com
feedmeveggies.blogspot.com
theherbnjungle.blogspot.com
Megan Fox
May 30, 2013 Megan Fox rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I was put onto it by a herbalist friend of mine. Such a great tool for teaching about herb craft.
Beth
Feb 25, 2008 Beth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Learn all about about dandelion, burdock, chickweed, violet, nettles, various seaweeds, and oats. Befriend them, even.
Diana
Jul 11, 2011 Diana rated it really liked it
Susun's writing style is unique. The book does contain very good information!
Kate
Sep 17, 2008 Kate rated it it was amazing
I have learned so much from Susun. She rocks. This is my favorite of her books.
Goodreads Librari...: Book missing from my Profile 3 14 May 03, 2016 12:58PM
Peninsula but even for inexperienced 1 2 Sep 06, 2014 03:18AM
  • Herbal Healing for Women
  • The Herbal Medicine-Maker's Handbook: A Home Manual
  • A Modern Herbal, Vol. I
  • The Natural Pregnancy Book: Herbs, Nutrition, and Other Holistic Choices
  • Making Plant Medicine
  • Plant Spirit Medicine: The Healing Power of Plants
  • The Complete Illustrated Holistic Herbal: Safe and Practical Guide to Making and Using Herbal Remedies
  • The Way of Herbs
  • The Book of Herbal Wisdom: Using Plants as Medicines
  • Medicinal Plants of the Pacific West
  • The New Age Herbalist: How to Use Herbs for Healing, Nutrition, Body Care, and Relaxation
  • The Herbalist's Way: The Art and Practice of Healing with Plant Medicines
  • Hygieia: A Woman's Herbal
  • A Field Guide to Medicinal Plants and Herbs
  • Herbal Antibiotics: Natural Alternatives for Treating Drug Resistant Bacteria (Storey Medicinal Herb Guide)
  • The Fourfold Path to Healing: Working with the Laws of Nutrition, Therapeutics, Movement, and Meditation in the Art of Medicine
Susun S. Weed has no official diplomas of any kind; she left high school in her junior year to pursue studies in mathematics and artificial intelligence at UCLA and she left college in her junior year to pursue life.

Susun began studying herbal medicine in 1965 when she was living in Manhattan while pregnant with her daughter, Justine Adelaide Swede.

She wrote her first book -- Wise Woman Herbal f
More about Susun S. Weed...

“I see the wise woman.