Start by marking “New Menopausal Years: Alternative Approaches for Women 30-90” as Want to Read:
New Menopausal Years: Alternative Approaches for Women 30-90

New Menopausal Years: Alternative Approaches for Women 30-90

The best book on menopause is now better. Herbal solutions for osteoporosis, hot flashes, mood swings, fatigue, flooding, fibroids, low libido, incontinence, anxiety, depression.

Completely revised with 100 new pages. All the remedies women know and trust plus hundreds of new ones. New sections on thyroid health, fibromyalgia, hairy problems, male menopause, and herbs for w
Published April 11th 2002 by Ash Tree Publishing (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about New Menopausal Years, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about New Menopausal Years

HeavyReader
Jun 20, 2007 HeavyReader rated it liked it
Recommends it for: women who want to take an herbal approach to menopause
Shelves: womens-health, herbal
An excellent, highly recommended book. I use it already, even though I am not yet experiencing menopause.
Kivrin Engle
Jun 23, 2009 Kivrin Engle rated it really liked it
"Hot flashes literally create enlightenment. I don't mean this in a hippies woo-woo way. Scientifically, if you compare the pulse and EKG and other data of a person meditating in or near a state of nirvana, you will find it is similar to the condition a woman is in during a hot flash.'', says Ms. Susun Weed and I believe her, because difficult as life may seem during this time, the menopausal years are not so unbearable, especially with the right attitude. Each time I think I do not need this li ...more
Jude Arnold
Aug 09, 2010 Jude Arnold rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Susan Weed's Menopausal Years is by far the best book of its kind!
It is organized in 3 chapters, the years before, during and after menopause; what symptoms women might experience. Each symptom is orderly detailed in seven steps the wise woman can take, from least invasive to most invasive, including 1) collect information, 2) engage the energy, 3) nourish and tonify, 4) stimulate and sedate, 5) use drugs, and 6) break and enter. Susan Weed is brilliant and her books are a tremendously valuable
Maurya
Aug 19, 2016 Maurya rated it really liked it
I read this book very slowly, as you can see, it took me a year or so to complete. I read a couple of pages every time I picked it up. I am not big into finding the different herbs and teas that she recommends, but I love how she talks about the Wise Woman talking to me as a wise woman to be. And celebrating Menopause and just rolling with the punches. (Something that I am not generally so good at doing.)

At the end of the day though, it is a good, educational book, that I do recommend for anyone
Cm
Jul 03, 2012 Cm rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A book that a woman will use for life. The information will never get old and will always be needed. I love your books Susun, thank you :)
Britta
Feb 04, 2013 Britta rated it it was amazing
Most helpful natural menopause book I have found. Love it!
Tami
Apr 15, 2008 Tami rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A couple months ago, I was having a conversation with my mother. I mentioned some of the health issues I was having. She looked at me, leaned over, and then in a hushed voiced said that she hated to break it to me but I was having pre-menopausal symptoms.

How could this be happening to me? I'm not old. I'm not ready to get facial hair, brittle bones, and happily retire with my cats.

It was then that I remembered Susun and her Wise Woman series of books. I have read several of her books and absol
Kimberley Shaw
Jan 24, 2016 Kimberley Shaw rated it it was amazing
Just when I need a guidebook to some of this new stuff my body's dishing out, along comes this book -- and in an updated version, no less. I've looked at a couple other books on menopause, but this one's the one I plan to keep on hand as a ready reference. Need a grandma who knows her stuff to see you through The Change? Here she is.
Bepawo
Oct 08, 2009 Bepawo rated it liked it
Shirley recommended this book to me about a year ago. After I got it from the library, I quickly scanned it and found it's layout effective for good reference on how to approach all the different and oh so lovely attributes of peri-menopause. However, I didn't want to put any more ideas into my head/body about other tricks it could be trying out so, I just found Susun's text on thyroids that reinforced what I had already been telling myself and closed the book. That was all I needed to give me s ...more
Davida
Sep 13, 2016 Davida rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some wackiness but mostly goodness. Useful information if you can sort out the judgmental and cuckoo from the out-there. Reassuring, empowering, and inspiring. May check out from the library again or even buy.
Kathleen Loucks
Jan 22, 2015 Kathleen Loucks rated it really liked it
pretty woo woo, but lots of practical tips on what to do besides western medicine before during and after menopause
Jun 30, 2009 Sarah rated it it was amazing
I think things are changing for me already, and I figured I would start reading up on it before I'm faced with too many symptoms. As always Susun Weed is a treasure trove of knowledge and sage wisdom. I love that this book is like the wise village crone or elder handing down her wisdom to the new crone. I am going to start implementing some of the suggestions into my daily routine now to make my journey to wise woman a bit smoother!

Thank you Susun Weed!
Parin Stormlaughter Stormlaughter
Marvelous book of plant-based health for mid-life women. I've especially benefited from Susun Weed's dried herb infusions and tincture recommendations. I appreciated her thoughts on grieving, the Crone's Year Away, and returning to community. Would have given it a 5-star rating except for the sometimes racist asides and slick belief-system jabs. They didn't make me appreciate anything except clear thinking.
Melisa
Feb 28, 2010 Melisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A wealth of herbal suggestions for a variety of symptoms. Very interesting and enlightening...but I feel unqualified to self perscribe quantity, frequency, and duration of herbal supplementation without the guidance of a qualified herbalist. At least now as I seek the assistance of an herbalist I will go into the appointment with some knowledge so that I can self-advocate.
Maja Haloway
Nov 12, 2010 Maja Haloway rated it liked it
A good antidote to traditional Western guidebooks on menopause. Incorporates story-telling, traditional wisdoms to provide alternative way of looking at menopause. Read this book together with Christine Northrup's menopause book to cultivate a whole different mindset on this time of life.
Jeanne
Feb 05, 2013 Jeanne rated it really liked it
Shelves: health
A friend, wise and older than me, loaned me this book. It was a balm to my soul and mind as I read about the complexities of menopause. I felt "not crazy" and validated for much of what I was feeling and experiencing in my body and emotions.
Carmen
May 02, 2008 Carmen added it
Susan Weed is an authority on using herbs and natural resources to address the many physical, mental,emotional,and psychological issues women face as they go through life. I recommend this book to all of my friends.
Willa Grant
Feb 17, 2008 Willa Grant rated it it was amazing
My favorite book to use during peri-menopause! Susan Weed is an odd woman to read but VERY knowledgable- I have used first the old edition & then this new one for a decade.
MaryAnn
It was a helpful book, with lots of different approaches to menopausal problems. If you like to use natural remedies- this book gives much advise.
Deb
Feb 27, 2010 Deb added it
I have followed Ms. Weeds writing in regard to herbs for over a decade, and now its time to find the right herbs for this stage of my life.
Joan
Jan 29, 2008 Joan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: past-reads
Every woman should have this - real recipes for cures - supporting spirit a fav
Susannah
May 24, 2014 Susannah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great perspective. Empowering, sensible, inspiring.
Kristine
Apr 02, 2008 Kristine rated it really liked it
Great book on this expanding years subject.
Kathleen O'Mara
Apr 22, 2008 Kathleen O'Mara rated it really liked it
Reference book. Better than most herb books.
Ramona
Ramona marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
April
April rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2016
Tammy
Tammy marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
  • Herbal Healing for Women
  • The Way of Herbs
  • The Herbalist's Way: The Art and Practice of Healing with Plant Medicines
  • Herbal Antibiotics: Natural Alternatives for Treating Drug Resistant Bacteria (Storey Medicinal Herb Guide)
  • Medicinal Plants of the Mountain West
  • The Book of Herbal Wisdom: Using Plants as Medicines
  • The Complete Illustrated Holistic Herbal: Safe and Practical Guide to Making and Using Herbal Remedies
  • The Herbal Medicine-Maker's Handbook: A Home Manual
  • The Fourfold Path to Healing: Working with the Laws of Nutrition, Therapeutics, Movement, and Meditation in the Art of Medicine
  • Edible and Medicinal Plants of the West
  • Plant Spirit Medicine: The Healing Power of Plants
  • Identifying and Harvesting Edible and Medicinal Plants
  • A Modern Herbal, Vol. I
  • Native American Ethnobotany
  • The New Age Herbalist: How to Use Herbs for Healing, Nutrition, Body Care, and Relaxation
  • All Women Are Healers: A Comprehensive Guide to Natural Healing
  • Making Plant Medicine
  • Awakening Intuition: Using Your Mind-Body Network for Insight and Healing
Susun S. Weed has no official diplomas of any kind; she left high school in her junior year to pursue studies in mathematics and artificial intelligence at UCLA and she left college in her junior year to pursue life.

Susun began studying herbal medicine in 1965 when she was living in Manhattan while pregnant with her daughter, Justine Adelaide Swede.

She wrote her first book -- Wise Woman Herbal f
More about Susun S. Weed...