Start by marking “Original Whole Earth Catalog, Special 30th Anniversary Issue” as Want to Read:
Original Whole Earth Catalog, Special 30th Anniversary Issue

Original Whole Earth Catalog, Special 30th Anniversary Issue (Whole Earth Catalog)

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  184 ratings  ·  13 reviews
"Function:
The WHOLE EARTH CATALOG functions as an evaluation & access device. With it, the user should know better what is worth getting & where and how to do the getting. An item is listed in the CATALOG if it is deemed:
Useful as a tool,
Relevant to independent education,
High quality or low cost,
Not already common knowledge,
Easily available by mail.
Catalog l
paper
Published (first published 1969)

Be the first to ask a question about Original Whole Earth Catalog, Special 30th Anniversary Issue

Timothy Finnegan
There is no more important book in my intellectual and moral history. Stewart Brand and his merry cataloguers created The Whole Earth Catalog in the late 60's and 70's in Northern California; providing new editions into the 80's. Brand was affiliated with Ken Kesey and was, if I remember correctly, a merry prankster WHO WAS ON THE BUS. Using the LL Bean catalog as a model, Brand set forth to create a catalog for those who wished to create an alternative society; those who wished to "get back to ...more
DoctorM
The Whole Earth Catalog in its various updates was a constant companion all through my junior high and high school days. Yes, okay, the early ones were a bit too hippie-ish, but the lists of...well...everything were always brilliant. Books, tools, ideas, reviews--- such wonderful things to find and think about. A generation and more after it first appeared, still engrossing. Go back and look at the books recommended in the Catalog and think about some of the ideas raised in essays there. Still a ...more
David Brightbill
This book was the Internet before there was an Internet. Like the web, it provided access to a wide variety of information and tools.
Erik Graff
Mar 15, 2009 Erik Graff rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: historians of the sixties
Recommended to Erik by: everyone
Shelves: reference
I was too young to be a hippie. They were creatures featured in Life Magazine, persons seen in Chicago's Old Town neighborhood. My hair was long by the end of senior year in high school because the Dean of Students, Elbert Smith, told me I was expelled until it was cut and both my dad and me resented this enough to refuse compliance, my readmission facilitated by the fact that I'd been doing volunteer work for the ACLU and knew a lot of willing attorneys. My first pair of bell bottoms weren't ac ...more
Dave
I saw an article about this book today... It reminded me of living in the early 1970's. I didn't have a lot of possesions back then, but this was a book that I could pick up and read from any page and be entertained for hours. Steve Jobs recently said that "The Whole Earth Catalog was sort of like Google in paperback form, 35 years before Google came along".

Along with this book, the other possesions I remember from back in those days were two pairs of Earth shoes, T-shirts, a collection of rock
Elizabeth Hills

Good overview of products and services for the sustainable lifestyle that you may never have heard if until you start frequenting whole foods and the food coops. Good first steps, but I would hope most people would eventually move forward and realize that they don't need most of the products in this catalog. Nevertheless, a good reference to look at in a local library; not worth buying.
MissJessie
Gosh, what a flash from the past. I spent many an hour in the early days reading from this book, randomly picking pages and carrying on until I got tired out.

I don't necessarily remember doing many of things in the book, but it certainly made all of us "back in the day" want to go and change the world, a little at a time.

Did we? It's hard to know.
Richard
I loved this, and all the subsequent editions. It was the most educational catalog I'd ever seen, and though I learned from it I never made it "back to the earth." Stewart Brand was a genius, Whole Earth was a mind altering concept, and having the Whole Earth Catalog on your spool table, surrounded by candles, and dopester paraphernalia meant you were totally with it.
Anne
I just came across this book again in my collection. What a classic resource during my high school/college years. A few years back, a friend found a copy of the edition that I had and gave it to me for my birthday. Full of information and resources that reflect an era.
Stranniki
practically everything, an old hippy book
Billy Sunday
Before we had the internet, we had this.
Mommalibrarian
I have my paperback copy from the 70s still
Kurt
Still great after all these years.
Tommyb
Reference
Kendra Johnson
Kendra Johnson marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Daniella
Daniella marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Alan Gongora
Alan Gongora marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Ben Bär
Ben Bär marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
  • Shelter
  • Design Is the Problem
  • War and Peace in the Global Village
  • 100 Artists' Manifestos: From the Futurists to the Stuckists
  • In the Bubble: Designing in a Complex World
  • Digital Vertigo: How Today's Online Social Revolution Is Dividing, Diminishing, and Disorienting Us
  • The Foxfire Book: Hog Dressing; Log Cabin Building; Mountain Crafts and Foods; Planting by the Signs; Snake Lore, Hunting Tales, Faith Healing
  • Operating Manual for Spaceship Earth
  • Infinite Reality: Avatars, Eternal Life, New Worlds, and the Dawn of the Virtual Revolution
  • Getting Green Done: Hard Truths from the Front Lines of the Sustainability Revolution
  • Massive Change
  • The Price of a Dream: The Story of the Grameen Bank
  • The Gladiators: History's Most Deadly Sport
  • A Social History Of The Media: From Gutenberg To The Internet
  • DIY U: Edupunks, Edupreneurs, and the Coming Transformation of Higher Education
  • The Grasshopper: Games, Life and Utopia