The Wainscott Weasel

The Wainscott Weasel

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  233 ratings  ·  31 reviews
While other young weasels dance under the pines, Bagley thinks about Bridget, the mesmerizing fish who lives in a pond down the brook from his den. Only a true hero can save Bridget from the gruesome death that awaits her'and this is exactly what Bagley, much to his own surprise, proves himself to be.

Notable Children's Books of 1994 (ALA)
100 Books for Reading and Sharing 1...more
Published May 30th 1996 by Michael Di Capua Books (first published September 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Wainscott Weasel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wainscott Weasel

Max
This book deserves its comparisons to CHARLOTTE'S WEB as it manages to elegantly graft a slyly written social satire onto a daring rescue story worth of John Ford. Wainscott, Long Island is the 21st century, musteline version of Jane Austen's Bath, England, and Seidler deftly delivers a complete universe filled with animals that are driven as much by their natural instincts as they are by their familial responsibilities, hidden desires and social ambitions. Even though this works as a comedic pi...more
Leigh
I got into Tor Seidler in elementary school because of A Rat's Tale--I had pet rats at the time, and once wrote him a letter about them that he very graciously and personally responded to. But it was this book that won my heart.
elissa
Sep 22, 2007 elissa rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents and elementary schoolers
This was one of my family's favorite read-alouds. My younger son was 6 when we read it, and my older son was 8. All 4 of us really enjoyed the unusual and clever story, and it's also beautifully illustrated. We've been occasionally calling one of our cats a "white-bellied weasel" ever since.
Brenna
This was the first book I ever read. I believe I was in elementary school and have loved it ever since. This book made me fall in love with reading.
Megan Tucker
Entertaining book, but I kept waiting for it to go somewhere, and it never really did. And a weasel falls in love with a fish. Crazy.
Jackie
Oh my, my...what a weasel will do for impossible love. The Wainscott Weasel is a lonely, yet revered weasel who falls hopelessly, madly in love with Bridget, the fish! When Bridget's pond is threatened by non-existent rain and a lurking osprey, Bagley Brown Jr. will go to even more impossible lengths to save her from the talons of the osprey. Bagley's dad, a fine up-standing weasel was a legend of the highest rank after he organized the moles and dug a tunnel from the Wainscott Woods to the farm...more
Leah
I got this book at a used book store in East Hampton because I can't pass up local books about the East End. This one, with all it's charming pictures, isn't really a children's story. I mean, it would be a long one. But I found it quite enjoyable. It's about these little weasels who live in the Hamptons (snobby yuppie weasels perhaps). They fall in love, get married, and have drama. In fact, one brave little weasel falls in love with a fish from the local pond. Right...stick with me. There is a...more
Madeline
Jun 22, 2008 Madeline rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
"Written with grace and great good humor, The Wainscott Weasel is a rollicking adventure, a comedy, a love story, and most assuredly a book that will live on in children's memories." (The Five Owls)

A cute and unordinary book that I enjoyed as a kid. Now that I've re-read it I see it is much more complex than I'd taken it for that first time I read it, at about 8/9 years old; I didn't remember anything about it except that it was about a weasel with one eye...But I read a lot of books then that I...more
George
Adorable little book with a charming cast of characters, who even if they appear for only a few pages, you enjoy their company. Had me smiling through and through through each narrative arc and every brilliant illustration. It's a simple story about love and friendship, weasels dancing in the moonlight, a fish, frog legs, an eyepatch, and some eggs.

I've heard that this shall be turned into an animated movie someday and I hope that it shall capture the subtle charm that this tale spins.
Raina
Comforting old fashioned anthropomorphized animal tale, accented by beautiful illustrations. This comes from 1993, but it totally works today. It feel sophisticated and rich, and has a depth to it. How does a weasel fall head-over-heels in love with a fish?

Like a warm snuggly blanket, but not without its quirk.
Rochelle
Trying this as a bedtime read because it is set right near where I grew up. Cute story so far, based on a weasel community that has a tunnel straight into a chicken coop, so they have an endless supply of eggs. This means they don't have to work much, and spend a lot of time at spring dances, relaxing and swimming.
Lindsay
I loved the ideas of the animals the author uses. Weasels? So original. They have their traditions just like we have and it was so fun to have "the weasel with the patch". I did feel as if the book moved a little slow. I think it would have made a better picture book but I really did enjoy it.
Jacque
I loved the characters, each of them is great. I noticed the resemblence with humans; the traditions, the idolization of the ones who did great things, the love etc.
It was quite predictable, but then again, it's a childrensbook.
I liked it, but not too much. I had to push myself to read it.
Nicole
I've loved this book since my mom read it to me. it's kinda like charlotte's web, but with gorgeous full page illustrations and no human characters - two reasons why it's better! it's a hilarious and beautiful love story between a weasel and a fish.
LW
This is a completely charming children's book with fantastic illustrations by one of my favorite illustrators, Fred Marcellino. Also see the book "A Rat's Tale" for another wonderful story by Seidler with Marcellino illustrations.
Anne K.
This is a book that my mom read to me and my younger sister at night and I just remember it being quite wonderful and transportive at the time. I have no clue how it holds up almost ten years later but at the time, it was a favorite.
Hope
It's been a long time since we read this one. Another I read with the kids as they were growing up. It's a great book with a great story.
Logan
May 04, 2010 Logan marked it as to-read
Shelves: abandoned
I think L was a little too young for this yet. Or maybe it was just too boring for him. In any case, he lost interest.
Kate
This book was really great! I loved it so much! It was really fun and silly and really, really good!
Abbey
Sep 01, 2012 Abbey added it
Shelves: own

This was my mom's favorite book to read aloud to me when I was young. It's utterly charming.
Andrea
Aug 05, 2012 Andrea marked it as to-read
owned it for years for the illustrations--A+, but never read the story. Donated it.
Christine
Little know children's classic and one of my favorites! Light summer reading for anyone!
Carrie
This is a light-hearted fantasy where weasels fall in love with fish. Need I say more?
Binx Gray
A delightful children's book on the lines of The Wind in the Willows (but not.)
Rosie
a weasel falling in love with a fish? can you get any weirder than that?
Kellie
I was good but interesting. It is a romantic and humerous book.
Blaine Harper
Just revisited this childhood favorite - excellent as always!
Rebecca
One of the most kickass kids books ever.
Jeslyn
Loved this book, simply delightful.
Eric
One of my favorites.
  • Hunter's Moon
  • Sword Quest (Swordbird, #0)
  • Lincoln and His Boys
  • Scream of the White Bears
  • A Mouse Called Wolf
  • Foreigner (Quintaglio Ascension, #3)
  • Gwinna
  • Urchin and the Raven War (The Mistmantle Chronicles, #4)
  • Flossie and the Fox
  • Horace and Morris but mostly Dolores (Horace and Morris and Dolores, #1)
  • Dinotopia: Journey to Chandara
  • Ragweed (Tales of Dimwood Forest, #0)
  • The Animals of Farthing Wood (Farthing Wood, #1)
  • The Iron Sceptre (Archives of Anthropos #4)
  • The Blue Shoe: A Tale of Thievery, Villainy, Sorcery, and Shoes