Start by marking “Unsolved Mysteries Of History” as Want to Read:
Unsolved Mysteries Of History

Unsolved Mysteries Of History

3.19 of 5 stars 3.19  ·  rating details  ·  125 ratings  ·  12 reviews
A fascinating look at thirty of the mysteries that have baffled the world through the ages, by the author of Unsolved Mysteries of American History.
Published 2003 by Barnes & Noble, Inc. (first published August 25th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Unsolved Mysteries Of History, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unsolved Mysteries Of History

Chy
It was not, as the byline suggests, "eye-opening." It was bare blurbs of information on those selected mysteries. Which, I mean, is cool, if you knew absolutely nothing about them. But it is not "eye-opening." Even for the ones I didn't know about (like that Joan of Arc had a "sign" she gave Charles VII that made him trust her), though, the author managed to somehow give me information while leaving me with the feeling I'd learned nothing at all that the title hadn't told me.

The highlight of the...more
Hava
Several thoughts:

First, I liked the fact that Aron didn't try to push any sort of conspiracy theories or other crackpot theories in this book. Everything he wrote was based on the facts. If you're expecting neat and pat answers to the world's largest mysteries, you're going to be disappointed. Mostly because there are no neat and pat answers to these mysteries, hence the name "mystery."

Anyway, so I enjoyed the facts, and I enjoyed his writing style. However, the book is dated (not the author's f...more
Amy
This book had some interesting surprises. There were some tidbits of history that I was unfamiliar with, so I got to learn some more. I was also interested to read about things that I thought people had the answers for only to find out that they're not as clean cut as I thought.

Something else that's interesting is that some of the accounts in this book are a little dated now. National Geographic has published new information about Stonehenge since this book was published and I also know that the...more
Steve
Each chapter deals with an 'unsolved' mystery in history. It begins with questions on evolution, the mystery of the Easter Island stone idols through others on Shakespeare and the August coup in Russian. Aron goes over the pros & cons of the various theories, not always giving an answer if one has not been agreed upon. He also gives a bibliography of suggested reading that you can do should you be desire.

As with anything like this you may find some subjects more interesting than others.
Alyssa Archambo
I'm a fan of historical mysteries, and with Stonehenge, the legend of King Arthur, the Easter Island statues, and a whole lot more, this book covers a lot in a short time.

I really like the format of Unsolved Mysteries of History. Aron gives a short description of each topic and then briefly goes into the findings of archaeologists and historians who have tried to explain or solve these mysteries. He keeps it objective, listing arguments for and against various theories of these popular mysteries...more
J.M.
I really just skimmed this book ~ I tried reading it cover to cover but some of the "mysteries" weren't all that "eye-opening" or "baffling." I mean, one of the questions is why were the pyramids build. Is there anyone over the age of 8 who doesn't know that?

I might've enjoyed this if I discovered it years ago, when I was younger. As it was, I thought the book was okay but not challenging enough for me.
April Brown
This book was a thumbnail sketch. Each chapter was excessively short, and contained only a paragraph or two more than the average public school history book. Most of the events covered are covered far more in depth by the one hour or longer documentaries on the same subject, or the actual event history books. Good if you just want a reminder, or a refresher course in a few events. Nothing new here.
Bonnie
Loved it. I love reading about history, and this book was really fun because it took several events and put forth different theories about each. What I loved about it the most was that it didn't boost one theory over any other, just pointed out the facts of each. I found it to be very, very interesting. Now I want to read his other Unsolved Mysteries of History books.
Jennyanydots
Jun 29, 2008 Jennyanydots rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young, curious historians. key word here being 'young'.
Recommended to Jennyanydots by: my mommy!
not terribly terribly erudite, but loads of fun anyway. after every chapter, it cites some sources for further investigation. the perfect book the whet a young historian's palette.
Elena
My paperback copy doesn't look like this at all. But that doesn't change the fact that it is a very informative book and I recommend it to anyone who likes history
Dani
Pretty cheesy. Very quick read and all it did was inspire me to read "Kon-Tiki".
Jessica
Interesting. But needs to be updated.
Ame
Ame marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Ani
Ani marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Kirstin
Kirstin marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Julia Frederick
Julia Frederick marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Nazmun Rumpa
Nazmun Rumpa is currently reading it
Aug 06, 2014
Nomme
Nomme added it
Aug 09, 2014
Steven West
Steven West marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Marisa Markus
Marisa Markus marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Paul Aron is senior editor at the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation. Previously he was a reporter for The Virginia Gazette and executive editor at Simon & Schuster.
More about Paul Aron...
Unsolved Mysteries of American History: An Eye-Opening Journey Through 500 Years of Discoveries, Disappearances, and Baffling Events More Unsolved Mysteries of American History We Hold These Truths...: And Other Words That Made America Did Babe Ruth Call His Shot?: And Other Unsolved Mysteries of Baseball Mysteries in History: From Prehistory to the Present