Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “Unsolved Mysteries Of History” as Want to Read:
Unsolved Mysteries Of History
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

Unsolved Mysteries Of History

3.24 of 5 stars 3.24  ·  rating details  ·  180 ratings  ·  27 reviews
A fascinating look at thirty of the mysteries that have baffled the world through the ages, by the author of Unsolved Mysteries of American History.
Hardcover, 225 pages
Published 2003 by Barnes & Noble, Inc. (first published August 25th 2000)
more details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about Unsolved Mysteries Of History, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unsolved Mysteries Of History

This book is not yet featured on Listopia. Add this book to your favorite list »

Community Reviews

(showing 1-30 of 449)
filter  |  sort: default (?)  |  rating details

بحثٌ ميسر في عددٍ من الأمور الغامضة التاريخية,بعضها أسطوري والآخر واقعي;أشياءٍ من قبيل:
- هل صُلب المسيح حقاً؟
- من صاحب حجارة ستونهنج الشهيرة؟
- هل كانت الأهرامات مقابر فعلاً؟
- هل حدثت حرب طروادة كما قرأنا عنها؟
.قد تبدو الأسئلة,وغيرها الكثير,مثيرة وجذابة لتقرأ عنها,لكن للأسف لم يقدم لي الكتاب فائدةً تُذكر,خاصة وهو لا يطرح حلولاً بالمعنى المعروف أو سيناريوهاتٍ متخيلة لما جرى حقاً على أرض الواقع,ويُعطي بها تفسيراً,بل على العكس في بعض الأمور أثار أسئلة كثيرة بأعماقي ودفعني بها للبحث أكثر.بيد أنه برغم
Mohammed Hussam
كتاب طريف، يحتوي على ألغاز تاريخية حاول المؤلف عرض الفرضيات المختلفة لحلها، مثل:
- هل كان إنسان نيندرتال سلفاً للإنسان الحالي؟
- لماذا بنيت الأهرامات؟
- هل وقعت حرب طروادة فعلاً؟
- هل صُلب يسوع؟
- هل كان هناك شخصية تاريخية اسمها الملك آرثر؟
- ماذا كانت علامة جان دارك؟
- هل كان كان كولمبس يقصد اكتشاف أمريكا؟
- هل كان شكسبير هو من كتب مسرحيات شكسبير؟
- هل مات موزارت مسموماً؟
- هل قتل هتلر ابنة اخيه؟
- هل كان يمكن أنقاذ تايتنك؟
وغيرها من المواضيع التاريخية التي مازل المؤرخيين مختلفين حولها..
Ahmed Almawali
قرأت ربعه فهو من الكتب التي يبدأ بها القارئ من أي جزء يختاره فالفكرة العامة مشتركة فهناك ألغاز تاريخية ظلت مقصورة على سبب وتفسير وحيد لتأتي أبحاث جدبدة وتفسيرات أخرى تدحض تلك ولا تلبث هذه الأخيرة أن تتساقط مع وجود تفسيرات تابعة والدائرة مستمرة
Eslam Gamal
كتاب شيق بيخلص بسرعة جدا سلس ممتع
Several thoughts:

First, I liked the fact that Aron didn't try to push any sort of conspiracy theories or other crackpot theories in this book. Everything he wrote was based on the facts. If you're expecting neat and pat answers to the world's largest mysteries, you're going to be disappointed. Mostly because there are no neat and pat answers to these mysteries, hence the name "mystery."

Anyway, so I enjoyed the facts, and I enjoyed his writing style. However, the book is dated (not the author's f
It was not, as the byline suggests, "eye-opening." It was bare blurbs of information on those selected mysteries. Which, I mean, is cool, if you knew absolutely nothing about them. But it is not "eye-opening." Even for the ones I didn't know about (like that Joan of Arc had a "sign" she gave Charles VII that made him trust her), though, the author managed to somehow give me information while leaving me with the feeling I'd learned nothing at all that the title hadn't told me.

The highlight of the
Amany Ayman
و يسيبك الكتاب فى حالة من الإستغراب ..

شوف كام فضية اتاخدت من وجهات نظر مكنتش تعرف بوجودها
و كام حاجة درستها غلط ف مدرستك

و كام من معلومات و ناس كنت تعرفها شكلا أو اسما و يتضح أنالقصة عميقة ملهاش آخر

و ف الآخر تعرف أن الفضول و غريزة البقاء الى مقعداك و مقعدانى و فى ايدنا كتاب و آلالات و أجهزة
و بردو ف الآخر تبقى عارف أنك قاعد على أطلال و اسرارملايين السنيين .. و هيجى الى يبنى بعديك و يشوف حاجاتك و يحلل عصرك ..

و هتعرف أن المواقف مش زى ما بتبان و أنك فى الدنيا الى ليها ببان كتيرة .. انت يا دووبك و
Oct 13, 2015 عــــادي marked it as في-مكتبتي  ·  review of another edition
مؤسسة الهنداوي مشكورة موفرة نسخة مجانية هنا لمن يرغب فيه
فتحي سرور
التاريخ يحتاج مؤرخين من نوعية المحققين
Sara Rezgui
يستحق القراءة فعلا
This book had some interesting surprises. There were some tidbits of history that I was unfamiliar with, so I got to learn some more. I was also interested to read about things that I thought people had the answers for only to find out that they're not as clean cut as I thought.

Something else that's interesting is that some of the accounts in this book are a little dated now. National Geographic has published new information about Stonehenge since this book was published and I also know that the
Steve Chaput
Each chapter deals with an 'unsolved' mystery in history. It begins with questions on evolution, the mystery of the Easter Island stone idols through others on Shakespeare and the August coup in Russian. Aron goes over the pros & cons of the various theories, not always giving an answer if one has not been agreed upon. He also gives a bibliography of suggested reading that you can do should you be desire.

As with anything like this you may find some subjects more interesting than others.
I really just skimmed this book ~ I tried reading it cover to cover but some of the "mysteries" weren't all that "eye-opening" or "baffling." I mean, one of the questions is why were the pyramids build. Is there anyone over the age of 8 who doesn't know that?

I might've enjoyed this if I discovered it years ago, when I was younger. As it was, I thought the book was okay but not challenging enough for me.
As other reviewers have noted, Aron doesn't really solve any mysteries, so the subtitle of the book ("An eye-opening investigation into the most baffling events of all time") is sort of misleading.. To people who are already familiar with the individual cases Aron discusses, he may not even present any new information. However, this is a fantastic read for general history aficionados, and Aron offers up a TON of other sources for those who want more in-depth knowledge than what his book offers. ...more
Pretty cheesy. Very quick read and all it did was inspire me to read "Kon-Tiki".
Alyssa Archambo
I'm a fan of historical mysteries, and with Stonehenge, the legend of King Arthur, the Easter Island statues, and a whole lot more, this book covers a lot in a short time.

I really like the format of Unsolved Mysteries of History. Aron gives a short description of each topic and then briefly goes into the findings of archaeologists and historians who have tried to explain or solve these mysteries. He keeps it objective, listing arguments for and against various theories of these popular mysteries
Islam Ahmed
Interesting new perspective for some of the events in history. Nevertheless, it's out-dated as a lot of new information were revealed since 2000!
Michael Kotsarinis
It doesnt provide "answers" it presents the cases in a clear way and provides naterial for further reading.
أسلوب الكتابة مختلف وعجبنى الكتاب جدا ، توجد الغاز فعلا مشوقة
Mohammed Saad
كتاب ممتع ،ظريف فى فكرته..يغوص فى تفاصيل التاريخ
Hind windflower
كتاب ممتع وسلس
April Brown
This book was a thumbnail sketch. Each chapter was excessively short, and contained only a paragraph or two more than the average public school history book. Most of the events covered are covered far more in depth by the one hour or longer documentaries on the same subject, or the actual event history books. Good if you just want a reminder, or a refresher course in a few events. Nothing new here.
Loved it. I love reading about history, and this book was really fun because it took several events and put forth different theories about each. What I loved about it the most was that it didn't boost one theory over any other, just pointed out the facts of each. I found it to be very, very interesting. Now I want to read his other Unsolved Mysteries of History books.
My paperback copy doesn't look like this at all. But that doesn't change the fact that it is a very informative book and I recommend it to anyone who likes history
Interesting. But needs to be updated.
Islam Hamada F
Islam Hamada F marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
Duha marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 15 next »
There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Be the first to start one »
  • Lost Histories: Exploring the World's Most Famous Mysteries
  • Weird History 101
  • World War I in 100 Objects
  • The Lives of Sacco and Vanzetti
  • Zones of Exclusion: Pripyat and Chernobyl
  • The Lost Photographs of Captain Scott: Unseen Images from the Legendary Antarctic Expedition
  • Apollo: The Epic Journey to the Moon, 1963-1972
  • The Handy History Answer Book (1st Ed.)
  • Titanic, First Accounts
  • Iceberg, Right Ahead! The Tragedy of the Titanic
  • 882 1/2 Amazing Answers to Your Questions About the Titanic
  • Dumb History: The Stupidest Mistakes Ever Made
  • When Plague Strikes: The Black Death, Smallpox, AIDS
  • Ashes Under Water: The SS Eastland and the Shipwreck That Shook America
  • Outbreak! Plagues That Changed History
  • Lusitania: Triumph, Tragedy, and the End of the Edwardian Age
  • The Pessimist's Guide to History: An Irresistible Guide to Compendium of Catastrophes, Barbarities, Massacres and Mayhem
  • Lost States
Paul Aron is senior editor at the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation. Previously he was a reporter for The Virginia Gazette and executive editor at Simon & Schuster.
More about Paul Aron...

Share This Book

“Like it or not, after Freud, no one had to read Sophocles to know something about Oedipus.” 0 likes
More quotes…