Start by marking “Never Tease a Weasel” as Want to Read:
Never Tease a Weasel

Never Tease a Weasel

A funny, finger-wagging rhyme with some very good advice: never tease a weasel, because teasing isn't nice! Rather, kids should do nice things for animals, such as bake a drake a cake, or give a mule a pool, and much more. Long out of print, this new edition of Never Tease a Weasel with art by the great New Yorker cartoonist George Booth will surely please a weasel, and ev ...more
Published March 27th 2007 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1964)

To ask other readers questions about Never Tease a Weasel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Never Tease a Weasel

Hannah
Jul 21, 2015 Hannah rated it liked it
I am forever indebted to this book, for teaching me the existence of the word thrice. :-)
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
I kept seeing this book in the window of my local secondhand bookshop, and the title kept catching my eye so of course I had to go in and check it out - and it is just as engaging as I had hoped. I am sorry I didn't have a chance to scan some of the pages to show you George Booth's quirky and captivating, Quentin-Blake-esque illustrations, for they really connect with the text in a way that makes the original (with illustrator Denman Hampson) seem a bit hum-drum.

This is one of those rhyming stor
Sharon
Dec 01, 2014 Sharon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-at-heart
Another of the books that never made it to my house when my mother sent a box that disappeared ... this was my absolute favorite book when I was in kindergarten.

It's a clever rhyming book about being nice to others:

"Never tease a weasel,
And now I've said it thrice.
The weasel doesn't like it,
And teasing isn't nice."
Elaine
Mar 23, 2009 Elaine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-want
I love this book! I remember it from when I was little. It was out of print for a long time and I am so happy it is available again.
"Never tease a weasel
Not even once or twice.
The weasel will not like it,
And teasing isn't nice!"
Jenny
Jan 19, 2011 Jenny rated it it was amazing
My mom used to read this to my siblings and me when we were young. Every thing she got to the line "never tease a weasel" she'd poke us. For nostalgia reasons I bought her the newer edition of this book but the one we were read probably came out in the 70s or 80s.
Shayla
Apr 21, 2015 Shayla rated it it was amazing
This book is about being nice to everyone you meet. Throughout the whole story it provides examples of helping different animals out. Like “You could build a mouse a house with a chimney made of bricks.” But when it comes to the weasel, you see that the children are always bugging him, scaring him, and teasing him. In the end it states that it is better to be nice to a weasel, so he will be nice back.
I love this book because of the art work that is included. It is original, and captivating. I l
Teresa TL Bruce
Dec 29, 2009 Teresa TL Bruce rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everybody--it will make you smile!
Recommended to Teresa TL by: my Grandma gave it to me when I was three
Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! I am so excited to learn this has been reprinted, as my 1964 copy is VERY worn!

This is a DELIGHTFUL picture/rhyming book that makes "being nice" the obvious choice when dealing with weasels. My children all LOVED it as much as I did and as much as every child who ever saw it.

I have no idea if the new edition has the same wonderful, vivid illustrations with bright solid backgrounds, but it is a "must read" for kids by its rhythmic text alone.

Although they probably won't admit it, e
Margaret Chind
This is one on the list for Memoria Press Junior Kindergarten and our library did not have it nor had I heard about it... so I hesitated to just go buy it. I also couldn't find at our local bookstores. Finally it came through on inter-library loan and am I ever glass that it did!

From just skim previews nonlinear and the cover image I wasn't impressed. But actually reading the text and seeing all the images I am in love! This book is fabulous, cute and witty. The rhymes are adorable and there is
Linda
This is an easy-to-read children's book about goofy moments with animals. My 1964 edition contains simplistic but colorful pictures with beasties in various stages of dress. It is both charming and foolish that just makes you feel happy. Take it for what it is: very sweet and worth the time to read to children five and up.

"But never tease a weasel;
this is very good advice.
A weasel will not like it
And teasing isn't nice!

You could make a riding habit
for a rabbit if you choose;

Or make a turkey per
Julie
Oct 01, 2008 Julie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I was introduced to this book in my late teenage years by a friend of mine and completely fell in love with the simple message it delivers. Thus began my quest to acquire a copy of my very own...which led to my nieces and nephews alll wanting copies and frantic searches on eBay. Honestly, why this was out of print for so long is beyond me! I haven't seen the reprint, but I hear the illustrations are nothing like the original, which is a shame.

Never Tease a Weasel is one of those books that every
Michael Fitzgerald
Hmmm - this book was published in 1964. Fox in Socks was published the very next year. And the dreadful What This Story Needs Is a Pig in a Wig came out in 2015. I do note that The Habits of Rabbits was published in 1957.
Bryan
Aug 01, 2010 Bryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
And never judge a book by its cover....

because my daughter wanted me to read this book to her for a bedtime story, and I thought it looked terribly dreary. (We have the original printing, bought in a bunch of books at a yard sale, and stored here at the lake). And yes, based on the cover, this book looked dull.

But what great rhymes! This is very, very good. A lot of fun to read to her, and she enjoyed it a lot.

Melanie
The author tries to get across the point that it's never nice to tease by interspersing several verses of "Never tease a weasel, because teasing isn't nice," with phrases like "give a pig a wig," "make a goat a coat," etc. Not effectively done.

If the goal of storytime is to make a child laugh, this should do the trick. But don't use it for lesson-teaching.
JD
Sep 15, 2012 JD rated it it was ok
The kids were kinda ho-hum on this book. I chose it thinking it would have some fun homor about what happens when you tease a weasel. No such luck. There is good rhyming in the story, but that's about all it has going for it. There was no point to the story that my children related to and I was not thrilled with the artwork. Definitely not something we'll be seeking out again.
Terri
Whatever happened to this book? I had forgotten about it until we came upon a newer edition at the library last weekend. We had the wonderful, now out-of-print original edition when I was a kid. Didn't we?

EDIT: Yes, we did. No one seems to know what became of it, though. I just located another copy in wonderful condition. Thank you, Abe Books!
Kimberly
Jul 24, 2009 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Kimberly by: "Vintage Kids' Books My Kids Loves" blog
This is a vintage kids' book that has been republished in recent years. Unfortunately, the text was paired with new illustrations for the republication. Having read both versions, I far prefer the older one and just purchased a vintage copy to add to our home library.
Celticoracle
Feb 06, 2015 Celticoracle rated it really liked it
Shelves: memory-lane, mini-me
I never thought I would see this book again. It was a huge favourite of mine as a kid, and I was thrilled to find it in the library. The text is still fun to read out loud. :) While Mini-Me didn't seem quite as excited as me, I may still just buy it for nostalgia's sake.
Barbara
Jul 11, 2014 Barbara rated it liked it
A weasel will not like it and teasing is't nice. Oops, sorry; that's a spoiler. Thirty-five years after reading this book over and over to my children I still remember that. Maybe I should have rated it higher. But, really, there isn't much of a plot.
Julie
Nov 18, 2010 Julie rated it really liked it
The rhyming in this book makes for a bit of slightly more obscure vocabulary for kid, but it is still very cute and funny. The illustrator is known best perhaps for his cartoons in the New Yorker. Could lead to a good discussion with kids about teasing, in general.
Vicki
Jan 28, 2013 Vicki rated it liked it
Shelves: picture, pre-school
Lovely story,but the Pre-School group just didn't seem to get the idea of the "giving" animals things as something nice. The rhymes were silly and they listened to the book, but I feel it was a bit over their heads. Perhaps more appropriate for a kindergarten level of children.
Thomi
Mar 08, 2012 Thomi rated it it was amazing
One of my all time favorite books growing up. I read it so often that I can recite parts of it years later. I saw a vintage copy of it on Ebay and bought it, this book was such a big part of my childhood. If I had children, I'd read it to them all the time so they'd love it too.
Jen
May 10, 2016 Jen rated it really liked it
Which is better? Saying "...or make a turkey perky with a pair of high-heeled shoes..." to a bunch of third graders or showing the accompanying illustration to that gaggle of third graders?! It was a toss up in my read aloud!
Teri
Jun 28, 2016 Teri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Dr. Seuss like rhyming book. Totally ridiculous. Love it and wonder where it's been all my life.

For teachers, this book could easily be used for rhyming patterns. It could also be used for context clues as well.
Carrie
Jun 13, 2008 Carrie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Young children and their parents
"Never tease a weasel/not even once or twice
The weasel will not like it/and teasing isn't nice."

It's a great sentiment, and it's true, but it's advice that I've never quite taken to heart! (Apologies to everyone who knows that first hand.)
Heather
Sep 06, 2012 Heather rated it really liked it
This was my favorite book as a child. I would give it 5 stars if we were rating the original. The reprint is not illustrated as nicely, but I am still glad the book is available. I buy a copy for all my friends and families' children.
Nancy
Aug 25, 2012 Nancy rated it it was amazing
This was one of my 3 daughters favorites.
Sandra
Aug 24, 2013 Sandra rated it it was amazing
This is my ultimate favorite book as a child...
Murphy Daley
May 21, 2013 Murphy Daley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
THIS BOOK IS AWESOME!

so cute. the only thing to be aware of is that the colors can make the words hard to read in the dim light of bedtime story.

But I love this book
Jennie
Jul 23, 2007 Jennie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Yes
A funny story that will make both children and adults laugh out loud. The illustrations of the pig in a pink wig and the goat in a coat are just perfect.
Rachel Coyne
Jan 23, 2014 Rachel Coyne rated it it was amazing
A happy, silly rhyme that reads so well!
  • Miss Suzy (Miss Suzy, #1)
  • How Fletcher Was Hatched