Start by marking “Never Tease a Weasel” as Want to Read:
Never Tease a Weasel

Never Tease a Weasel

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  265 ratings  ·  61 reviews
A funny, finger-wagging rhyme with some very good advice: never tease a weasel, because teasing isn't nice! Rather, kids should do nice things for animals, such as bake a drake a cake, or give a mule a pool, and much more. Long out of print, this new edition of Never Tease a Weasel with art by the great New Yorker cartoonist George Booth will surely please a weasel, and ev ...more
Published March 27th 2007 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1964)

To ask other readers questions about Never Tease a Weasel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Never Tease a Weasel

Shannon (Giraffe Days)
I kept seeing this book in the window of my local secondhand bookshop, and the title kept catching my eye so of course I had to go in and check it out - and it is just as engaging as I had hoped. I am sorry I didn't have a chance to scan some of the pages to show you George Booth's quirky and captivating, Quentin-Blake-esque illustrations, for they really connect with the text in a way that makes the original (with illustrator Denman Hampson) seem a bit hum-drum.

This is one of those rhyming stor
Jenny
My mom used to read this to my siblings and me when we were young. Every thing she got to the line "never tease a weasel" she'd poke us. For nostalgia reasons I bought her the newer edition of this book but the one we were read probably came out in the 70s or 80s.
Elaine
I love this book! I remember it from when I was little. It was out of print for a long time and I am so happy it is available again.
"Never tease a weasel
Not even once or twice.
The weasel will not like it,
And teasing isn't nice!"
Teresa B
Dec 29, 2009 Teresa B rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everybody--it will make you smile!
Recommended to Teresa by: my Grandma gave it to me when I was three
Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! I am so excited to learn this has been reprinted, as my 1964 copy is VERY worn!

This is a DELIGHTFUL picture/rhyming book that makes "being nice" the obvious choice when dealing with weasels. My children all LOVED it as much as I did and as much as every child who ever saw it.

I have no idea if the new edition has the same wonderful, vivid illustrations with bright solid backgrounds, but it is a "must read" for kids by its rhythmic text alone.

Although they probably won't admit it, e
Barbara
A weasel will not like it and teasing is't nice. Oops, sorry; that's a spoiler. Thirty-five years after reading this book over and over to my children I still remember that. Maybe I should have rated it higher. But, really, there isn't much of a plot.
Linda
This is an easy-to-read children's book about goofy moments with animals. My 1964 edition contains simplistic but colorful pictures with beasties in various stages of dress. It is both charming and foolish that just makes you feel happy. Take it for what it is: very sweet and worth the time to read to children five and up.

"But never tease a weasel;
this is very good advice.
A weasel will not like it
And teasing isn't nice!

You could make a riding habit
for a rabbit if you choose;

Or make a turkey per
Margaret
This is one on the list for Memoria Press Junior Kindergarten and our library did not have it nor had I heard about it... so I hesitated to just go buy it. I also couldn't find at our local bookstores. Finally it came through on inter-library loan and am I ever glass that it did!

From just skim previews nonlinear and the cover image I wasn't impressed. But actually reading the text and seeing all the images I am in love! This book is fabulous, cute and witty. The rhymes are adorable and there is
Julie
I was introduced to this book in my late teenage years by a friend of mine and completely fell in love with the simple message it delivers. Thus began my quest to acquire a copy of my very own...which led to my nieces and nephews alll wanting copies and frantic searches on eBay. Honestly, why this was out of print for so long is beyond me! I haven't seen the reprint, but I hear the illustrations are nothing like the original, which is a shame.

Never Tease a Weasel is one of those books that every
Colby
Very Seuss-ish, my daughter thoroughly ejoyed this one.
Charlie
I will never tease a weasel. I feel like the author is kind of talking to you but in a book. Pretty good book obviously.
Bryan
And never judge a book by its cover....

because my daughter wanted me to read this book to her for a bedtime story, and I thought it looked terribly dreary. (We have the original printing, bought in a bunch of books at a yard sale, and stored here at the lake). And yes, based on the cover, this book looked dull.

But what great rhymes! This is very, very good. A lot of fun to read to her, and she enjoyed it a lot.

Rachel Coyne
A happy, silly rhyme that reads so well!
Jessica
The kids were kinda ho-hum on this book. I chose it thinking it would have some fun homor about what happens when you tease a weasel. No such luck. There is good rhyming in the story, but that's about all it has going for it. There was no point to the story that my children related to and I was not thrilled with the artwork. Definitely not something we'll be seeking out again.
Melanie
The author tries to get across the point that it's never nice to tease by interspersing several verses of "Never tease a weasel, because teasing isn't nice," with phrases like "give a pig a wig," "make a goat a coat," etc. Not effectively done.

If the goal of storytime is to make a child laugh, this should do the trick. But don't use it for lesson-teaching.
Terri
Whatever happened to this book? I had forgotten about it until we came upon a newer edition at the library last weekend. We had the wonderful, now out-of-print original edition when I was a kid. Didn't we?

EDIT: Yes, we did. No one seems to know what became of it, though. I just located another copy in wonderful condition. Thank you, Abe Books!
Thomi
One of my all time favorite books growing up. I read it so often that I can recite parts of it years later. I saw a vintage copy of it on Ebay and bought it, this book was such a big part of my childhood. If I had children, I'd read it to them all the time so they'd love it too.
Vicki
Lovely story,but the Pre-School group just didn't seem to get the idea of the "giving" animals things as something nice. The rhymes were silly and they listened to the book, but I feel it was a bit over their heads. Perhaps more appropriate for a kindergarten level of children.
Kimberly
Aug 28, 2010 Kimberly rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kimberly by: "Vintage Kids' Books My Kids Loves" blog
This is a vintage kids' book that has been republished in recent years. Unfortunately, the text was paired with new illustrations for the republication. Having read both versions, I far prefer the older one and just purchased a vintage copy to add to our home library.
Julie
The rhyming in this book makes for a bit of slightly more obscure vocabulary for kid, but it is still very cute and funny. The illustrator is known best perhaps for his cartoons in the New Yorker. Could lead to a good discussion with kids about teasing, in general.
Carrie
Jun 18, 2008 Carrie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Young children and their parents
"Never tease a weasel/not even once or twice
The weasel will not like it/and teasing isn't nice."

It's a great sentiment, and it's true, but it's advice that I've never quite taken to heart! (Apologies to everyone who knows that first hand.)
Heather
This was my favorite book as a child. I would give it 5 stars if we were rating the original. The reprint is not illustrated as nicely, but I am still glad the book is available. I buy a copy for all my friends and families' children.
Carol Royce Owen
A funny, silly book about all that you can do with different animals, but with a repeated warning to NEVER tease a weasel. This is a blast to read out loud and fun to share with kids.
Sue Maloney
Very fun, but a bit of a vocabulary overload. Still, I think my students will enjoy the rhythm, rhyme, and silliness, and many will appreciate the connection with Wacky Wednesday.
Nelly
Nice typography and line quality in illustrations. Great rhyme scheme and rhythm.

Out of 5.

Illustrations : 5
Content : 5
Originality : 5
Humor : 4
Age Level : 0-100
Donalyn
Full of clever rhymes and charming illustrations, this classic is worth revisiting and sharing with youngsters. Introduces readers to many words they may not know like cravat and jaunty.
Zak
Great rhymes (some off-the-wall) and fun pictures in my copy, which is actually a first edition from 1964, so I can't vouch for the illustrations in the newer version. Very cute overall.
Jim
YES YES YES
six star book
i first read this book in the sixties (okay, Mom read it to me) and still use the phrase "never tease a weasel" when things go wrong or are about to.
Jenna
I love this book. At my Aunt Susan's she had in her library and every time I would grab it and read it. I kind of remember little pieces from over 20 years ago.
Murphy Daley
THIS BOOK IS AWESOME!

so cute. the only thing to be aware of is that the colors can make the words hard to read in the dim light of bedtime story.

But I love this book
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Miss Suzy (Miss Suzy, #1)
  • How Fletcher Was Hatched
  • Fortunately
  • Hilda Must Be Dancing
  • Saving Sweetness
  • Mouse Was Mad
  • Christina Katerina & the Box
  • Sheep in a Shop
  • What's Your Sound, Hound the Hound?
  • Looking for a Moose
  • Moo Hoo
  • Scoot!
  • A, My Name Is Alice
  • Mr. Pine's Purple House
  • Meow Said the Cow
  • Starry Safari
  • A Moose That Says Moo
  • How Do Dinosaurs Say I'm Mad?
Katy's First Day: a Going to School Story