Start by marking “Yesterday's Embers (Clayburn, #3)” as Want to Read:
Yesterday's Embers (Clayburn, #3)

Yesterday's Embers (Clayburn #3)

On Thanksgiving Day, Douglas DeVore kissed his beloved wife good-bye, unaware that it would be the last time he'd see her -- or their precious daughter Rachel. Left with five kids to raise on his own, and already juggling two jobs to make ends meet, Doug wonders how he'll manage moment by moment, much less day after day, without Kaye's love and support.

When Mickey Valdez

Published March 24th 2009 by Howard Books (first published March 3rd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Yesterday's Embers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yesterday's Embers

Kristi (Books and Needlepoint)
Doug Devore loses his wife Kaye and daughter Rachel, tragically, on Thanksgiving Day. He doesn't know how he is going to raise his remaining five children - ranging in age from Harley at age 2 to Kayeleigh who was 12. He was already working two jobs and Kaye had worked part-time. Together they had just barely covered the bills.

Mickey Valdez is the director at Doug's daycare. He becomes habitually late in picking up the kids and so she offers to bring them home one night. Doug invites her to sta
Ruth
Mar 26, 2009 Ruth rated it liked it
I enjoyed this romance novel. It basically followed the usual romance sequence: Boy meets girl, they fall for each other, something separates them and then they come together to live happily ever after. In this case, he is a newly widowed father of six,oops, make that five (one died with his wife). She is the daycare provider, thirty one years old, loves kids and doesn't know any single men. What comes between them is his memory of his first wife. The only variation from the usual sequence is th ...more
Lindsey
Apr 05, 2009 Lindsey rated it it was amazing
My first book by Deborah Raney was Beneath a Southern Sky. I was so moved by it, I cried through it (more like sobbed). And I don't cry through books. Period. It was intense. I could not remove the characters or situations the characters found themselves in from my brain (and I didn't want to!). I became a devoted Deborah Raney fan after that, and jumped at the chance to review Yesterday's Embers. Although the third in the Clayborn novel series, each can be read alone, and those who have read th ...more
Cathy Bryant
Mar 27, 2009 Cathy Bryant rated it it was amazing
I feel especially blessed to get to read two new Deborah Raney novels back-to-back. Yesterday's Embers is the third book in the Clayburn novel series, and one you won't want to miss.

Mickey Valdez is a thirty year-old daycare teacher who has started to wonder if she will ever have the husband and family she's always longed for. When she hears about the tragic death of Doug DeVore's wife and youngest daughter, her heart breaks for him and his remaining five children.

She quickly steps in and offers
Wyndy
Mar 25, 2009 Wyndy rated it it was amazing
Don't forget to take the Kleenex box with you to your reading chair, you'll need them. The 3rd book about people from the town of Clayburn is well written, full of great character development and emotion. Doug loses his wife and 5 year old daughter to carbon monoxide, suddenly he's a widower with 5 children and one is a 12 year old girl. How do you get through the grief process and successfully navigate life as a single father with 2 jobs and 5 children. It's a romance so we all know that he fin ...more
Sandra Stiles
Jan 07, 2010 Sandra Stiles rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult
I have to say this book made me think about a friend I had several years ago. She had breast cancer and three young children. She kept pushing her husband toward a neighbor woman. She was very clear in what she wanted. Six months after her death, her husband and friend marry, blending their two families. This caused a lot of controversy. The book was about Doug DeVore a man who loses his wife and one of his children in an accident. Through this terrible ordeal Mickey Valdez, the day care worker ...more
Virginia
Mar 26, 2009 Virginia rated it it was amazing
I read a preview copy of this book, and it's terrific. When a young mother and her baby die tragically, her family struggles to live with the painful and incomprehensible loss. Deb Raney is good at a lot of things, but she excells at creating characters who walk off the pages and into your heart. I was honored to endorse this book, and here's what I said:

"Deborah Raney masterfully draws us into the lives of two people searching for love through some of life’s most difficult circumstances. These
Janna
Apr 17, 2009 Janna rated it really liked it
This book 3 in the Clayburn books by Deb Raney, but what that means is there is the same cast of characters and each book focuses on a different main character. So I was not left in the dark when I started reading this one even though I hadn't read the first two. To the contrary, Deb makes it very easy to step right into the world of Clayburn. In this book we meet Doug when tragedy strikes his family. As he is trying to recover and move on with life (or what is left of it) he finds himself falli ...more
Martha Valasek
Feb 12, 2014 Martha Valasek rated it really liked it
A scenario that I could imagine and realize is a very "touchy" situation...dealing with the grief from the death of a spouse.
Jodi
Aug 07, 2011 Jodi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was another book by a new author I found. This book was very sad about a mother and daugther who died and how the rest of the five children and father tried to get back to life. The father got married only 5 months after the funeral and the town tried to warn him about rushing into things. He learned that he needed to grieve and that he was only using the new wife to make him forget about his deceased wife. It was a hard read with a lot of sad things. I did enjoy the 12 year old daughter th ...more
Amy
Nov 24, 2011 Amy rated it it was ok
Michelle
Nov 29, 2011 Michelle rated it did not like it
Shelves: adult, romance, fiction
This was very hard to get into. I found the characters boring and predictable with not very much to like about them. The kept taking actions while saying what a bad idea it is. The children seemed very sterotypical and I didn't find them very likable either. The teen rebellion also seemed very predictable. There was also a lot of blaming God for the bad things that happened which was a turn off.
Just - The romance reader
Jan 19, 2010 Just - The romance reader rated it really liked it
Shelves: at-library
Wow, I went through all the emotions while reading this book. It is imperative that while reading this book you keep a box of tissues close by, you will need them!

Yesterday's Embers follows the DeVore family on a heart-wrenching journey as they learn to live the kind of life they never imagined or wanted, and where they learn to adapt to that life.
Leah (packfan20)
Jun 18, 2009 Leah (packfan20) rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2009
Beth
Aug 02, 2012 Beth rated it liked it
I was a little disappointed in the storyline of this book. I disliked the main character and thought his decisions were so selfish. It was a very realistic book about making mistakes and jumping too early into things, but I just didn't care for the story as much as Deborah Raney's other books.
Lisa
Oct 23, 2009 Lisa rated it it was ok
Too much description. Before the characters said anything, there were two paragraphs of their thoughts. It got to be tedious to read, and I did not find it helpful. She started some interesting side plots, but nothing really came of them. I guess I wanted something more from the book.
Howard Books
The beloved Clayburn Novel series--filled with "hopeful themes of unconditional love, faith, and forgiveness" (Publishers Weekly)--continues with the story of a widower who unexpectedly finds a second chance at love while trying to put his life and family back together.
Betsy
Jun 15, 2009 Betsy rated it did not like it
The writing is amateurish, the Christian theme is heavy-handed and the ending is rushed, as though the author was as tired of it as I was and just wanted to be done with it already. Blah.
Nicole
Feb 07, 2011 Nicole rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
Another good Clayburn Novel. Has some sad moments, probably the saddest of them all. But a good portrait of how the process of grieveing affects people in different way!
Apr 11, 2011 Jennifer rated it it was ok
As much as I enjoyed the series and the characters that appeared in all three books, this particular plot was strange and unbelievable.
Rebecca
Jun 24, 2013 Rebecca rated it really liked it
A very unique and poignant story; full of emotional turmoil and sweet resolutions! I was engrossed from beginning to end.
Melissa Hall
Jan 01, 2014 Melissa Hall rated it really liked it
This was a nice story..parts of it made you upset with the characters....I was anxious to finish it just to see how it ended.
Elaine
Aug 05, 2009 Elaine added it
book 3 in the Clayburn series
Helena
Jan 08, 2013 Helena rated it really liked it
A good book. I recommend it.
Bonnie Ainsworth
Bonnie Ainsworth marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Susan Snodgrass
Susan Snodgrass rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2016
Dana
Dana added it
Sep 11, 2016
Janie
Janie added it
Sep 05, 2016
Danelle Cale
Danelle Cale marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
  • The Perfect Life
  • Mending Places (New Heights Series, #1)
  • It's Not About Me (Second Glances, #1)
  • Taming Rafe (Noble Legacy, #2)
  • Embrace Me
  • Carly (Women of Ivy Manor, #4)
  • The God Hater
  • Sarah My Beloved (Little Hickman Creek #2)
  • Joelle's Secret (Wagon Wheels #3)
  • Breaking Up Is Hard to Do (Miracle Girls, #2)
  • Leaving Carolina (Southern Discomfort, #1)
  • All the Tea in China
  • Beyond the Night
DEBORAH RANEY's first novel, A Vow to Cherish, inspired the World Wide Pictures film of the same title. Her books have since won the RITA Award, ACFW Carol Award, HOLT Medallion, National Readers' Choice Award, Silver Angel, and have twice been Christy Award finalists. THE FACE OF THE EARTH released in May 2013 from Howard/Simon & Schuster, and SILVER BELLS released from Guideposts in October. ...more
More about Deborah Raney...

Clayburn (3 books)
  • Remember to Forget (Clayburn,#1)
  • Leaving November (Clayburn, #2)