Start by marking “The Portobello Road and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
The Portobello Road and Other Stories

The Portobello Road and Other Stories

3.62  ·  Rating Details  ·  48 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
Four stories that illustrate Muriel Spark's unique wit and wisdom: 'The Portobello Road', 'Bang-bang You're Dead', 'The Seraph and the Zambesi' and 'The Dragon' (all taken from The Collected Stories).
Paperback, Penguin 60s, 86 pages
Published July 6th 1995 by Penguin

To ask other readers questions about The Portobello Road and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Portobello Road and Other Stories

Carol ♛ Type, Oh Queen! ♛
If you can find them, these Penguin 60s (a series published in 1994) are wonderful- small & light, just perfect for slipping into a handbag.

Although I'm not normally a short story fan, these stories are very easy to slip into & certainly not lightweight!What a gift Spark had with her detached, icy cold yet perceptive prose! The Portobello Road was the most unpredictable for me, but I enjoyed all four stories.

Brilliant.
Coenraad
Dec 16, 2014 Coenraad rated it it was amazing
During 2014 I have often waxed lyrical over discoveries of authors unknown to me whose work was selected for the Penguin 60 series. I should look back when I have completed reading the set and rank the most startling discoveries. I am quite convinced that this set of four stories by Muriel Spark will be placed close to the top of the list, if it does not make it to the top. Her intricate portrayal of human relationships, especially as depicted in 'Bang-bang you're dead', is breathtaking in itsel ...more
Snort
Dec 20, 2012 Snort rated it liked it
I'm reaching out for slim novellas as a sneaky bid to boost my annual book count, now that the end of 2012 neighs near. I know this, because it is my practice to jealously ration the oeuvre of my favourite authors (especially the dead ones), and I’ve already done a near-alarming number of Muriel Sparks this year – beginning with "Not To Disturb", "Robinson" and "The Abbess of Crewe".

This is a collection of four (!) short stories – to whet one’s appetite as an entrée to her other works, as they
Sally McRogerson
Jul 31, 2011 Sally McRogerson rated it it was ok
I'm not a fan of Muriel Sparks and this mini book of (connected) short stories did nothing to change that. There is, however, a great quote in it that resonates with me which I've replicated here:-

"A life like mine annoys most people; they go to their jobs every day, attend to things, give orders, pummel typerwriters, and get two or threee weeks off every year, and it vexes them to see someone else not bothering to do these things and yet getting away wth it, not starving, being lucky as they ca
Morvah
Morvah marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Darren
Darren marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Anne
Anne rated it liked it
Aug 26, 2016
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
Pamela Fernandes
Pamela Fernandes marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Purley College
Purley College marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
The Flooze
The Flooze marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Citizen
Citizen rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2016
Tsvetelina Mareva
Tsvetelina Mareva marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Alice
Alice marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Boaz Olaosebikan
Boaz Olaosebikan marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Iona Hughes
Iona Hughes marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Olya Voytsishina
Olya Voytsishina marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
Inna Shpitzberg
Inna Shpitzberg marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2016
Nina Pantelic
Nina Pantelic rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2016
Malcolm Logscribe
Malcolm Logscribe marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2016
Nataliya Petrova
Nataliya Petrova marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Bronte
Bronte marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Helen
Helen marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
M
M marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2016
Angie
Angie rated it liked it
Nov 22, 2015
Colette
Colette marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2015
Donvez
Donvez rated it it was ok
Oct 20, 2015
Salma
Salma rated it liked it
Sep 27, 2015
Nina
Nina rated it really liked it
Oct 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Dame Muriel Spark, DBE was a prolific Scottish novelist, short story writer, and poet whose darkly comedic voice made her one of the most distinctive writers of the twentieth century. In 2008 The Times newspaper named Spark in its list of "the 50 greatest British writers since 1945".

Spark received the James Tait Black Memorial Prize in 1965 for The Mandelbaum Gate, the Ingersoll Foundation TS Eli
More about Muriel Spark...