Start by marking “Isabella & The English Witch (Trevelyan Family, #1 & #2)” as Want to Read:
Isabella & The English Witch (Trevelyan Family, #1 & #2)

Isabella & The English Witch (Trevelyan Family, #1 & #2)

3.61  ·  Rating Details  ·  147 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Isabella...Isabella has seen too many seasons for marriage. It seems only gold-digging suitors are interested. But perhaps the love of a true heart hides just around the corner...

The English Witch...Kidnapped abroad, Alexandra thinks she's doomed. But her troubles have only begun-for her rescuer is determined to make her his!
Published November 4th 2003 by Signet Regency

To ask other readers questions about Isabella & The English Witch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Isabella & The English Witch

penelopewanders
Nov 14, 2009 penelopewanders rated it really liked it
Picked this up between two rings for some comic relief. I continue to enjoy Chase's writing and style. Isabella was a bit confusing - still not sure of all the family ties and obligations. Maybe I was just too distracted to keep the Bertrams, Lathams, Markhams or whoevers straight. Predictable, but nice.
The English Witch took us back to Albania - an unusual setting which Chase has used in some of her other novels. It was interesting how Chase managed to salvage Basil who is the ultimate villain
Hilly
Dec 15, 2012 Hilly rated it liked it
3.5 stars. Rounded down, because ... well, because it calls to mind the later Captives of the Night, and (to my mind) it feels a bit underbaked as a result of the comparison.

This re-read was courtesy of willaful's suggestion.

Though I didn't see Behold, Here's Poison's Randall in Basil, however, I saw CotN's Ismal. Howsoever much Randall could easily have been cast as a villain (as were the others), I read him as a different type: metrosexual. Basil is written as more virile and charismatic lea
Aviva
Apr 11, 2011 Aviva rated it liked it
Jodi
Sep 03, 2011 Jodi rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011-read
Both of these regency romances have good heroes and heroines. The problem for both books is sagging middles. The stories dragged. The beginnings were enticing, the ends really picked up the pace, but the middles were endless descriptions of nothing that moved the stories forward. Although Chase is a fabulous author these are some of her earlier works (published in the late 80s) and the short format inhibited her from creating the regency worlds she did in some of her later single titles. In Isab ...more
Erica Anderson
Mar 22, 2011 Erica Anderson rated it really liked it
These two books are linked, with the suitor who lost the heroine in the first book redeeming himself as the hero of the second. I much preferred Isabella to the second story, largely because I found the hero, Lord Hartleigh, more attractive than the roguish Basil. Still, Chase does a good job of making Basil grow up during his three-year sojourn to India, and I ended up believing that he really could mend his ways and be worthy of the heroine.

So, if you like your Regency heroes to be the sober,
Holly
I picked this up at the used book store several weeks ago. I hadn't read it before and was excited to add it to my collection. Chase has been a long time favorite, though not all her stories work for me.

While I enjoyed much about these stories, I did have a hard time getting into them. Something about the writing put me off. I'm not sure if it's the stories themselves, or just the way they were told, but I didn't feel the same connection to the characters I normally do when reading a Chase nove
Kendra
Oct 02, 2011 Kendra rated it really liked it
I truly loved the first book, ISABELLA -- fabulous story. The second book, THE ENGLISH WITCH, took a little to get into. I ended up liking it, but not loving. I do enjoy seeing an author turn a villain into the hero/heroine in a later story and that's what we have here. I just didn't think the story developed into what it might have. Overall, gave the book a B -- B+ for the first one and a C+ for the second.
Jackie
Oct 02, 2011 Jackie rated it really liked it
3 for ISABELLA, 4 for THE ENGLISH WITCH. Fun to read these very early Chase Regencies, and to see how witty and fun chase was, how enjoyable even sans the sex scenes that enliven her later works...
Nanette
Jan 13, 2013 Nanette rated it really liked it
Shelves: bookshelf
Isabella, the bad boy Basil Trevelyan and her love Lord hartleigh; lots of fun, very light; basil is wonderful and hartleigh is great; so is isabella. wonderful writing and detail of the environs.
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Sabrina
Sabrina rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2016
Deborah Henderson
Deborah Henderson marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Angel Biado
Angel Biado marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
ElenaHelen Norris
ElenaHelen Norris marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Rbjmarie1224
Rbjmarie1224 marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
jane
jane marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2016
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2016
Debbie Diamond
Debbie Diamond marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2016
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2015
Jan
Jan marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2015
Vampire-lk
Vampire-lk marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2015
Desi
Desi marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2015
Jo
Jo rated it it was amazing
Nov 01, 2015
Connie
Connie added it
Oct 30, 2015
Sarah rated it really liked it
Oct 28, 2015
VBCPL
VBCPL rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2015
Annie Sem
Annie Sem marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2015
  • Deirdre and Don Juan (Lovers and Ladies, #6)
  • The Painted Lady
  • The Duke's Wager (Bessacarr, #1)
  • The Love Match (A Regency Romance)
  • The Substitute Bridegroom
  • Golden Girl
  • Feather Castles (Sanguinet Saga, #2)
  • The Belligerent Miss Boynton (Alphabet Series, #1)
  • The Nobody (Nobody, #1)
  • The Sugar Rose
  • The Duke's Double (Lords of Love)
  • Christmas Belle (Frazer, #2)
  • Mrs. McVinnie's London Season
  • Lady Elizabeth's Comet (Clanross, #1)
Loretta Lynda Chekani was born in 1949, of Albanian ancestry. For her, the trouble started when she learned to write in first grade. Before then, she had been making up her own stories but now she knew how to write them down to share. In her teenage years, she continue to write letters, keep a journal, write poetry and even attempt the Great American Novel (still unfinished). She attended New Engl ...more
More about Loretta Chase...