Start by marking “Nancy Clark's Sports Nutrition Guidebook” as Want to Read:
Nancy Clark's Sports Nutrition Guidebook

Nancy Clark's Sports Nutrition Guidebook

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  372 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Nancy Clark is a registered dietician and sports nutritionist. In this book she provides over 100 fast, practical and nutritious recipes that are ideal for a sports diet.
Published October 1st 1989 by Human Kinetics Publishers (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Nancy Clark's Sports Nutrition Guidebook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nancy Clark's Sports Nutrition Guidebook

Julie
Nancy Clark's Sports Nutrition Guidebook doesn't have a fancy name, but it doesn't really need it. For years, Clark's books have provided sound nutrition advice, information and research for both regularly active individuals and serious athletes. Years ago, my sister did her dietetics residency in Boston at U Mass Hospital, and she shared Clark's second edition book with me. I hung on to it for as long as possible, until she found it in my house months later and snagged it back. Today, as a regi ...more
Jaime Glanovsky
This book was recommended to me by a nutritionist I was seeing for help with my over-successful weight loss attempts and my growing unwillingness to put back on some weight. What I was really looking for was help determining a rough target number of calories to consume per day that would do a better job of customizing for my gender, age, body type and other demographics. The online calculators available (there are dozens) all give wildly varying answers and I hoped a well-researched text would h ...more
Jason
The Sports Nutrition Guidebook is a useful resource for the average, healthy individual to have at hand as a nutritional resource. This book is more of a healthy living guide, than a sport specific guide, Individuals who are engaging in sports that require a lot of anaerobic activity, like football or baseball will not find this book as useful, but they will still find some great instruction. For endurance sports such as running or cycling, or for the general weekend warrior looking to have nutr ...more
Elaine
I can't find fault with the author's approach to eating. She promotes whole foods, adequate calorie intake, listening to your body, and promoting a healthy body image. However, she appears to contradict herself constantly, usually within mere paragraphs. I'm not sure if that's because she takes research studies at face value or if it's because she's trying to fit too much information in too little space. One example is where she mentions soy as a vegetarian protein that contains all essential am ...more
Joseph
This book is comprehensive in its coverage of nutrition, especially with regards the selection of foods for athletes. As a fifth edition, it tackles many of the questions that arise amidst the many types of diet fads these days. The coverage of diet and exercise is extensive and the author Nancy Clark thoroughly documents the research that supports her recommendations. The book uses a balanced approach to planning healthy meals, with lists of fruits and vegetables and their benefits. It discusse ...more
Mark
I wish I had read this book 3 years ago when I first started researching how to lose weight and improve my diet. It's aimed at athletes but a lot of the info is useful to anyone.

This is a comprehensive and easy-to-read book that covers all the topics I had questions on - the function of the major macronutrients (carbs, protein, fats), the effectiveness of supplements, body composition, how to lose weight, how to bulk up, how to eat before and during lengthy events. There are also several sectio
Josh
Good explanation of how to work with government approved food guides (ca. 2000).

Overly focused on losing weight or losing body fat.

Points I take away:
1. Using carb as muscle fuel, make sure to give myself 1-2 days to re-absorb.
1a. Insulin as growth hormone

2. 45 minute window post-workout for carb and a little protein to get to work really fast. (e.g. 100kCal (40 carb) as banana + PB perhaps, 30:40:30)

3. Metabolism adjusts to conserve during voluntary famine.
3a. Fat is talked down because it's tw
To start I did not purchase this book. I was sent the book via the Goodreads giveaway program.

Ok, I actually like this book (no I did not dwell on every portion of the book). Although, some portions...are more self-explanatory. Regardless, the ideas are good. I enjoy how the book goes into explanations about some things. I just wish it wasn't as cut-and-dry.

Conclusion

I'll try to read this again (or rather...finish the entire book; I'm looking at the parts that are relevant to me and my course o
Christie
Much like many of the comments below, this is a basic nutrition book for the average exerciser or a new athlete. It does have some tips for the marathoner or weight-lifter, but it is just a guideline to remain healthy at a basic level. I found this book great as I was reading it from a standpoint of helping others gain or lose weight healthfully and appropriately. I would recommend this book for those who are new to nutrition. I used a lot of her tips in my life now and I feel great and happy wi ...more
Erica Wagner
Gosh I knew all this stuff - I suppose it is a good reference book but I don't suggest it for folks who understand a lot about nutrition.
Irene Cruz
Priya
Feb 14, 2008 Priya rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nutritionists, athletes, new exercisers, people trying to get healthy
read and indulged. i used it a lot when i was thinking about running a marathon and in the process of training for one. now i claim it as a nutrition bible. claimed to be for "jocks" mostly, but also good solid nutrition advice for the rest of the non-sportsy community. it's my favorite book on sports nutrition, and nancy clark is a top nutritionist, so eating up everything she says in her books and at nutrition conferences (which i pretty much do) wouldn't be a complete sham.
Crystal
This was a very basic nutrition book. I would recommend it for new athletes, or people who have never studied or considered nutrition. Most of the information was good. I was surprised she recommended eating refined sugar, but then I realized that if you are training for a marathon you may not be able to eat enough calories. I liked how she emphasized the importance of eating nutritious calories and not just empty ones, and the book was well organized.
Miquixote
This is the best sports nutrition book I have laid my hands on. With all these diet fads surrounding us this brings us back to earth and lays down the common sense fundamentals. It's not vegetarian. It's not Asian. It's not all protein. It's not all carbs. It tells you the things that this famous sports nutritionist knows leads to sustainable eating habits and top performance. Get off the spectacle of extreme fads...
Lori Ann
When I started taking a lot of cycling classes, I suspected that I really needed to plan my nutrition more carefully so as to make it through the classes. This book gives excellent ideas on what to eat, and what the timing should be. It also gave me a whole new perspective on including protein, dairy and whole grains with every meal to stay satiated longer. A great read to help your diet along.
Cornelia Ward
This is a really comprehensive book for any kind of athlete (professional or just us regulars who like to work out daily) no matter what age, sex, or eating style.

If you have any questions about how to eat well to stay healthy and achieve your athletic goals, this is your book!
Alex Holman
Being really into nutriton and lifting, this book was very interesting to read because of the clarification that it gave me about the knowlede i have about nutrition. It also taught me a lot of stuff that i did not know about.
Claire
Definitely the bible for sports nutrition- really helped with my studies and my own daily nutrition too. whether you're hoping to improve your personal nutrition, working in health and fitness or studying it this is a must read.
Amber
This is more of a general nutrition guidebook than a sports nutrition guidebook. Good information but not too unlike many of the other sensible and popular nutrition books out there. I still prefer Eat, Drink, and Be Healthy.
Erin Plank
very informative. helped motivate to eat healthier and made me realize I need to eat more protein to fuel my running. wishing I owned the book instead of borrowing from the library. good recipes in the back too!
Kat Lynch
Comprehensive, detailed, but not overly technical. A good read if you want specific guidance.

I skipped the recipe section, and found the discussion about overweight kids ham-handed, but otherwise I enjoyed it.
Ellen
Calling this complete. Technically a DNF, but most of the rest was recipes, bibliography, index type stuff. Interesting enough, but got pretty repetitive by the end. And I had to return the book to the library.
L8start
Good reference for nutrition and diet. The title says sports nutrition but it's advice is solid, and general enough, to be applicable to anyone looking for nutrition guidance.
Kara
Met Nancy Clark at a tri expo, and got her book out of the library, and will now buy it for myself! Great guidelines on how eat for various types of endurance events.
Jim Bouchard
Didn't think you could eat fast food once and a while and still train like an athlete? This is a nutrition book for peak performance that operates in the real world!
Simon Rutkowski
Due to so many issues and differences of opinion in nutrition, weight loss and exercise; nancy clark really clear up a few questions for any individual.
Lisa
Really motivates me to eat to fuel my body rather than to fill my stomach. I must admit I focus more on eating well while training for something.
Kaylee
Its not a book i could just read straight through. I skipped around alot. It had alot of good information and alot of good recipes.
Rikki
Great resource for anyone who wants to eat healthier and be more efficient in life. There are even great recipes in the book.
Melanie
Good, balanced nutrition book for anyone and especially for physically active individuals.
  • The Fat Smash Diet: The Last Diet You'll Ever Need
  • Understanding Nutrition
  • Nutrient Timing: The Future of Sports Nutrition
  • The 5 Factor Diet
  • Six Weeks to OMG
  • The Metabolic Typing Diet: Customize Your Diet To: Free Yourself from Food Cravings: Achieve Your Ideal Weight; Enjoy High Energy and Robust Health; Prevent and Reverse Disease
  • The Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer
  • Eat What You Love: More Than 300 Incredible Recipes Low in Sugar, Fat, and Calories
  • The G.I. Diet: The Easy, Healthy Way to Permanent Weight Loss
  • The Ultimate Weight Solution: The 7 Keys to Weight Loss Freedom
  • Taste of Home Comfort Food Diet Cookbook: Lose Weight with 433 Foods You Crave!
  • The Volumetrics Eating Plan: Techniques and Recipes for Feeling Full on Fewer Calories
  • Life Without Bread: How a Low-Carbohydrate Diet Can Save Your Life
  • Racing Weight: How to Get Lean for Peak Performance
  • Prescription for Natural Cures
  • The Zone: A Dietary Road Map to Lose Weight Permanently
  • Marathon: The Ultimate Training Guide
  • ABS Diet for Women
The Hills at Home: A Novel Nancy Clark's Food Guide for Marathoners: Tips for Everyday Champions July and August: A Novel A Way from Home: A Novel Nancy Clark's Food Guide for New Runners: Getting It Right from the Start