Start by marking “The Devil in Vienna” as Want to Read:
The Devil in Vienna

The Devil in Vienna

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  186 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Inge Dorenwald and Lieselotte Vessely have been best friends for most of their thirteen years. They share secrets, fears, hopes and even the same birthday. It never mattered that Inge was Jewish and that Lieselotte was the daughter of a Nazi SS officer--until now. Hitler and Nazism are infiltrating Vienna, Austria, in 1938 and suddenly it is forbidden for the girls to cont ...more
Published September 9th 2004 by Dial (first published January 1st 1978)

To ask other readers questions about The Devil in Vienna, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Devil in Vienna

Lisa Vegan
Mar 19, 2008 Lisa Vegan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys holocaust era fiction
I went back and forth about whether to give this book 4 or 5 stars. The writing, told by a 13 year old girl in diary entry form is very engaging. The story of the friendship isn’t quite as compelling as the tv movie based on this book (that I saw many years ago) but is still depicted in an emotionally moving way. This was a very fast read for me, mostly because I didn’t want to put it down. The author escaped as a child from Nazi occupied Vienna and this is an autobiographical novel; the 2004 ed ...more
Unitaga
The devil in Vienna is a book about two best friends. Their names are Inge Dornewald and Lieselotte Vessely. Lieselotte is Catholic, but Inge is Jewish. Lieselotte's father forces her family to move so that he can assist Hitler. Liesellotte, against her will, becomes a Hitler youth. She and Inge write letters, but finally they meet again when Liesollette's father has to travel for business. Liesollette takes Ingo to a hidden church, where a priest is giving Jews baptism certificates and allowing ...more
Larissa
The Devil in Vienna is based around a sturdy friendship that was thought to be unbreakable. Inge Dornenwald is a 13 year-old Jewish girl living through hard times. Lieselotte’s and Inge have been best friends since they were young but now their friendship is on the verge of falling. Their country sags to its lowest point and their hearts sink with it. Lieselotte and Inge’s parents are at totally opposite sides. Lieselotte’s entire family are for Hitler. Her brother being a Nazi and her father w ...more
Rui Wen
Inge and Lieselotte are best friends during World War 2. They've known each other for almost thirteen years of their life. They do everything together, they tell each other everything, and the coolest thing is that they also share the same birthday. But things start to change, when Hitler starts to conquer places. Inge is a Jewish girls and Lieselotte is a Nazi's daughter. Which means that soon they won't be able to stick together, and they might even have to separate.
I am not done reading this
Devan O
Apr 21, 2008 Devan O rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
This book is a very good book. It is about a Fourteen year old girl named Inge who has been friends with her best friend Lieselotte ever since they started school together. The only problem is that Inge is Jewish and Lieselotte's dad is a Nazi. The Friendship all changes when lieeslotte dad decides to move her whole family out of Austria and into Germany to the Nazi headcourters. This is the biggest internal conflict that Inge has had to face her entire life.
Over the nexted few month Inge writ
Gracy
Some will dismiss this book because it is not a 'real' WWII/holocaust diary, instead a fictionalized account. However, Orgel clearly did her research and the story is highly compelling. It is entirely believable that these girls existed, and that their trials indeed occurred. The book is well written, and if anything, that it is fiction makes it a better starter book for young teens exploring history of this time because it will not have the crushing effect of Anne Frank et al.
Carolyn
Inge Dornenwald is Jewish, and Liselotte Versely's father is a Nazi, but the thirteen-year-old girls are still best friends, even though their parents disapprove of their friendship. In 1937 Austria, their friendship has even become dangerous, but the girls struggle to stay friends in secret, as the Dornenwald family works desperately to escape from occupied Austria. Suspenseful and well written, portraying the perceptions of a young girl with a deft touch.
Jazmin
I am reading the book Devil in Vienna.So far I learned that the city believes in the devil and that everybody ends up seeing him.My opinion is that the book is interesting however also confusing.If you like books that are about mysterious you should read this book.I hope to learn about it and becomes easier and simple and for you to.
Leane
This book has been sitting on my bookshelf for many years, and I finally got around to reading it. It is the story of a Jewish girl and her best friend growing up in the 1930s in Austria. Inge, the heroine, writes down the daily happenings of her life as the Nazis take over Austria and her relationship with Leislelotte grows more and more difficult to maintain. The book's strong point is the strong themes of family and friendship. Would I recommend this book for a unit on the Holocaust? No. But ...more
Charli - To Another World
meh. Obviously I only read for school but could have been worse, I guess.
Oriyah Nitkin
I always thought of this book as a holocaust book, but after a recent re-read, I've come to realize that it's really more of a pre-holocaust book. Although it was written for tweenagers or teenagers, the book is well written and interesting enough to keep the attention of adults. (At least in my opinion. It could be that I only feel this way because I read it in childhood, like having a taste for New Kids on the Block.)

In any case, the characters are interesting and the historical context is an
Charles
Weltschmerz
Ovo mi je bila jedna od omiljenih knjiga kad sam imala 7-8 godina, i jedva čekam da mi se priži prilika da je ponovo pročitam. Ne znam, možda užasi rata koje knjiga opisije nisu pogodni za jako malu decu, ali ova knjiga je pre svega o prijateljstvu, i zbog toga je divna. Neverovatno je šta sam sve čitala usled svoje tadašnje opsednutosti Drugim svetskim ratom, tu je stvarno bilo svačega, ali mi je drago, jer da nije bilo tako, verovatno nikad ne bih pronašla ovu knjigu.
Jenny
I really like these types of books (about World War II), but I don't exactly how I feel about this book. I think it was trying to emphasize on the friendship, which was nice, but there wasn't much action because of it. It was kinda sad to know that she would never see Liselotte again, but she took it in good stride and I'm proud of her because of that, because you know, I don't think I could handle it as well as she could.
Aug 12, 2008 Laura rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Junior High and up
An excellent read. The voice of the narrator is a fresh look on the WWII novel as a whole. The only thing that was hard for me were two characters with similar names, Mutti (her mother,) and her maid, Mitzi. Sometimes I had to reread parts over.
Maddie
This one was really great. Basically a young girl's view of Vienna from the perspective of losing her best friend. Kind of a tear-jerker at points. Again, overall, really good!
Deborah Harris
RL 4.4
AR Quiz No. 30501 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: MG - BL: 4.4 - AR Pts: 8.0
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, VP
Katie
I really liked this. I have been a big Orgel fan for years, but didn't read this one when it came out. Very nicely done, good for late elem, early middle school girls.
Katy
great book and a perfect example of what life was like in the 2nd world war longtime friends torn apart by hate and anger
Gumby
Unlike most Holocaust novels, this friendship story has the quite unusual factor of a happy ending...
Stephanie
I saw a movie adaptation years ago & loved the movie, the book was a little boring though... =(
Janet
A very good book, but I'm sorry, it became too slow moving for me.
Gargi
its really good
Dorsey
Dorsey marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Pat
Pat marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
  • Behind the Secret Window
  • The Island on Bird Street
  • Remembering Survival: Inside a Nazi Slave-Labor Camp
  • The Final Journey
  • Forgotten Voices of The Holocaust: A new history in the words of the men and women who survived
  • This Has Happened: An Italian Family in Auschwitz
  • The Road to Rescue: The Untold Story of Schindler's List
  • The Hidden Children: The Secret Survivors of the Holocaust
  • Katarina
  • Daniel Half Human: And the Good Nazi
  • Echoes from Auschwitz: Dr. Mengele's Twins: The story of Eva and Miriam Mozes
Doris Orgel is a children's writer. She was born in Vienna, Austria. As a child, she and her family fled to Yugoslavia and finally the U.S. during the rise of the Nazi party in Europe. She attended Radcliffe College from 1946 too 1948, and graduated cum laude from Barnard College in 1950.

In her career, Ms. Orgel has written and translated several fairy and folk tales, as well as served as a trans
More about Doris Orgel...
We Goddesses: Athena, Aphrodite, Hera The Princess and the God Nobodies and Somebodies Merry, Rose, and Christmas-Tree June Doctor All-Knowing: A Folk Tale from the Brothers Grimm