Start by marking “The Summer of Love” as Want to Read:
The Summer of Love

The Summer of Love

Widely acknowledged as one of the great female cartoonists for her expressive and candid style, Drechsler's GN is an achingly true portrait of life as a girl. Lili and her sister Pearl encounter all the triumphs and cruelties of teenage life when they move to a boring suburb and they search for new friends. Drechsler's style is always arresting and surprisingly revealing. ...more
Published June 1st 2003 by Drawn and Quarterly (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Summer of Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Summer of Love

Raina
Lily is the oldest kid in her family. They recently moved to a new town, and Lily must now deal with the social politics of the new neighborhood and school.

Drechsler's illustrations are all in browns and greens and reds, which make them feel slightly hazy. Her linework, though clean, is not always consistent. These elements combine into a dreamlike, memoiristic tone. The time period isn't specified, but based on the hair and clothing, it feels historical, and from the last half of the 20th cent
Jaireh
Jan 04, 2009 Jaireh rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comix
adolescence was so awkward. but somehow reading this book transported me to warm balmy weekends with my first boyfriend -- who like the characters of this book -- I also now thoroughly disgust. but for a moment i was transported to that time where perhaps something so mundane as a summer romance with a boy in suburbia -- could be the most exhilirating experiences of your life.
Rachel
Jun 02, 2011 Rachel rated it liked it
In the summer of an undisclosed year, likely in the late 1960s, teenagers Lily and her sister Pearl move with their family to a new city. Eager to make friends and fit in, they begin meeting up with other teenagers and experiencing all the boredom and curiosity of a teenage summer. Throughout the summer and into the beginning of the school year, Lily meets new friends, develops a crush, and learns to cope with a very forward young man who makes her very uncomfortable. Over the course of five ...more
Crystal Allen
Nov 06, 2007 Crystal Allen rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Angsty teenage girls (current or former.)
Shelves: graphic-novels
I was an angsty teenage girl in my youth so I kind of enjoyed this book. It definitely is not THE BEST graphic novel that I have read but it was enjoyable.

Two teenage sisters move to a new town right at the beginning of summer and meet and forge relationships with all of the kids in their neighbourhood before school starts. Both sisters fall in love, one with a boy the other with a girl. Then when school starts (ala Grease) they have to face the reality that people are different in a school set
Loyd
Apr 20, 2009 Loyd rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
The Summer of Love has the texture of a well-observed memoir, though it doesn't identify itself as such. It captures the sense of longing, jealousies, and helpless boredom of a group of teenage boys and girls in a small town in what seems like the 70's. The time period isn't identified, and the characters are so universal, it could have taken place anywhere, anytime. Even though the title mentions "love," no one in the story really seems to have a handle on what love actually is, which rings tru ...more
Feather Mista
Apr 13, 2011 Feather Mista rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Casi nadie.
Recommended to Feather by: Que estaba a mano.
Ya sé que claramente no soy el "target" al que apunta este comic, pero aun así, aun abstrayéndome de mi condición de varón de veintilargos con la sensibilidad de una morsa, me pareció de lo más mediocre. Será fiel retratando los sentimientos e inseguridades de una adolescente, pero lástima que justo se enfoca en una chica de lo menos querible y poco interesante. El dibujo tiene su personalidad y en algunas partes sirve para narrar, pero a grandes rasgos es una seguidilla de planos poco ...more
Robert
Feb 21, 2011 Robert rated it liked it
This is a good tale of mid-60s teenage angst, and Debbie Drechsler's drawings are wonderful as usual, save for the use of the (admittedly nostalgic-looking) 3 color scheme of dark green, reddish brown and dark brown, which I found simply unappealing to look at for 135 pages (ditto for the nearly highlighter-yellow background on the cover art). In addition to her drawing prowess, Drechsler has the Lynda Barry-like ability to conjure up what it's really like to be a teenager, though with a much ...more
Susan Rose
Jun 26, 2012 Susan Rose rated it liked it
This is a YA graphic novel about adolescence and teenage romance.

Firstly the good, the characters were well rounded and the illustrations of of the woods were really striking.

Now the bad, the whole book is coloured in greens, browns and whites, which was definetly distinctive but for me it just didn't look write. But the bigger issue for me is that there didn't seen to be enough plot for one bbok so as a result it seemed to be a bit padded.
Jill
Mar 17, 2008 Jill rated it liked it
Found in the comic store.

In honor of St. Patty's Day, I finally finished this Graphic Novel. It was cute. I don't mean to be dismissive or condescending. It just wasn't very moving. The graphic aspect wasn't appealing to me. But it was a nice story about high school and the day-to-day transient state of friendships therein. And with a nice, down-home moral: At the end of the day, the best friend you can have is yourself. Or your sister.
Cue 'Thank you for being a friend...'
Emilia P
Jun 24, 2015 Emilia P rated it it was ok
Shelves: comic-books
This felt old school, like pre-the-graphic-novel-boom and I suppose it's on the earlier end of things, but it still felt painfully rough in its layout and being a personal memoir. It was neither insightful, self-reflective enough to be emotionally compelling nor was it universal and trope-ish enough to be fun. Which is too bad, cause who doesn't like the struggles of teen girls. It just felt like the blueprint (literally!) for something with more OOMPH.
Ricki
Jan 16, 2014 Ricki rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, graphic-novel
Not sure what it was like growing up in the 60s, but Drechsler's red, green, and white drawings sure capture a definitely feel for the era. Even though it takes place in the past, this coming-of-age graphic novel will resonate with anyone who remembers their first experiences with love, no matter what the decade.
Shoshanna
Jul 07, 2016 Shoshanna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-helen
Incredible comic. Sad and upsetting, but less... brutal than Daddy's Girl. An incredible coming of age story, but less polemic, like Tomboy by Liz Prince (which is heavy on narration, also is one of my favorite comic that came out in 2014) and more ethereal and intimate like Ghost World by Daniel Clowes. I really love this comic.
kelly
Apr 29, 2008 kelly rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
Nothing like moving in your Sophmore year of High School. Might as well just paint a big L on your forehead, especially when you find out that the boy you like of course, is not interested in someone so young. Oh, and did I mention that your younger sister is having a hot affair with a girl - and this is 1969. Sometimes, family is all you have...

Shannon
Apr 11, 2011 Shannon rated it really liked it
Fast read. Stereotypical story of 'the new girl in town'. Good depiction of sibling and family relationships, teenage friendships, and boy-girl highschool dynamics. Suggestive without being x-rated. Unique illustrative style that works very well. I'd rate this higher if the author had used graphic techniques to slow the pace and draw out the story.
Melissa
Dec 17, 2009 Melissa rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: fans of realistic comics that linger and malinger
After reading both of Debbie Drechsler's graphic novels for the Gravett GNRP, I can safely say that I'm not nuts about her drawing style--too cluttered and boxy for my tastes. I guess I also want something more to happen in my comics than plain coming-of-age stories: something more transformative or revelatory than just-the-facts-ma'am presentation.
Lars Guthrie
Oct 26, 2008 Lars Guthrie rated it liked it
A wistful graphic memoir of adolescence in the time of "Surrealistic Pillow." Probably not that much different than it is today.
Patricia
May 19, 2010 Patricia rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
A fairly unmemorable coming-of-age graphic novel. Not bad, but pales in comparison to better examples of the genre like Craig Thompson's Blankets or Alison Bechdel's Fun Home.
Feb 13, 2013 Jennifer rated it liked it
Good companion book to "Daddy's Girl" ~ the sense of time and place is really well executed. And I liked the two-tone printing.
Chad
Mar 04, 2009 Chad rated it really liked it
Great view of adolescence in times past--who could not remember 9th graders who dated 11th graders and how incredibly challenging it was?
Brittany M.
Apr 17, 2011 Brittany M. rated it liked it
The blue/green tint of this comic really threw me off. It was good but not great. I suppose it was a realistic portrayal of a teenage girl's first love(s), but it was still sorta a bummer.
HeavyReader
Sep 17, 2007 HeavyReader rated it it was ok
These comics were really depressing.

They tell a young woman's coming of age stories and those stories are not pretty or happy. Sigh.
Jay Daze
The murky three tone colour took a bit to get used to (and to be able to see clearly) but fit the time period and messy tone of the story. Adolescence isn't tidy.
Quinn
Sep 27, 2008 Quinn rated it liked it
This graphic novel will make you ach with the remembrance of your own painful and awkward teenage years. It's short and bitter sweet... no wait, just a little bitter.
Dave Kiersh
Dave Kiersh rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2012
Christina
Christina rated it liked it
Mar 01, 2014
Gina Wisotzky
Gina Wisotzky rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2011
Shawn
Shawn rated it liked it
Oct 10, 2011
MissLily
MissLily rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2009
Katie
Katie rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2015