Sartoris

Sartoris

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  587 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Portrays the decay of the Mississippi aristocracy following the social upheaval of the Civil War.
Published July 12th 1929 by Random House (NY) (first published 1929)

Mike
Apr 02, 2012 Mike rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Mike by: Miss Maxine Lustig, Lustig's Book Store, Tuscaloosa, Al.
Sartoris: William Faulkner's Creation of Yoknapatawpha County

"No man is himself, he is the sum of his past.”
Faulkner in the University, University of Virginia Press, 1995

I graduated from the University of Alabama in 1973. I went there intending to become a professor of history. I changed my mind during a lecture my second semester in the History of Western Civilization when a college athlete began snoring behind me as one of my favorite professors was earnestly addressing the closing days of Wo...more
Dale Jr.
Every time I finish a Faulkner novel, I find translating the experience into words difficult. There's something about this man's writing that leaves me wondering just how he did it.

It's been a while since I've read Faulkner and as I moved through the pages of Sartoris, I realized I had almost forgotten just how beautifully the man writes. He creates such a vivid, beautifully constructed world within the reader with his prose it's hard not to get lost within the book. Many people today tire of lo...more
Teo
Zakon, kao i pjesništvo, konačno je utočište za šepave, sakate, imbecilne i slijepe.

Treći Foknerov roman, Sartoris, izašao je 1929. godine. On predstavlja skraćenu verziju rukopisa jednog dužeg narativa koji je dva puta odbijen od strane izdavača. Samo skraćivanje teksta nije izvršio Fokner već njegov prijatelj Ben Voson, tako da je konačni tekst koji je došao pred čitaoce osakaćen.

Ljubiteljima Foknerove pisane reči, Sartoris je prava poslastica. Posmatrajući njegov opus vrlo je važna činjenica...more
Helen
This was the first Faulkner novel I've read--I got turned off after reading "The Bear" in high school but my husband convinced me to give him another try. I'm so glad I did! The first thing I noticed about the book is that Faulkner's writing is so evocative and descriptive but also insightful and moving all at once. He creates atmosphere like no other writer I've ever read, and of course, he's very attentive to the specifics of place and time that root the reader in the world he's creating. The...more
Bob
Violent modernity, in the form of automobiles, planes and The Great War (and even a touch of "the meaningless pandemonium" of the jazz age) intrudes on the settled agrarian world of the Old South, where Jim Crow ensured that everyone knew his place. Not that the men of the Sartoris family, all endlessly named and re-named John and Bayard, need any particular innovations to live recklessly and die young, supported throughout by the "passive courage" of their womenfolk.

This is Faulkner's third, th...more
James
Sartoris is the first novel Faulkner located in Yoknapatawpha County where he would go on to set fourteen more novels. In it he introduces the Sartoris family but the Snopes are also present in this early novel. It seems that he began to find his own voice in this novel, improving over his two earlier offerings (Soldiers' Pay and Mosquitoes).
He tells the story of a Southern family of the 'romantic' type, exhibiting chivalry and courage in a haughty and sometimes vain style. Bayard the younger,...more
Ricardo Serra
Tenho por hábito nunca deixar de ler um livro até ao fim. Por vezes esta "norma de conduta" torna-se penosa e maçadora. Esta foi uma das vezes, ler Sartoris até ao fim foi um autêntico martírio!

Uma leitura que nunca me prendeu, um enredo tenebroso e sem chama onde a narrativa nos cai "do céu" sem uma linha de orientação, sem o mínimo nexo aparente.. As 300 e tal páginas de Sartoris rapidamente se desdobraram para mais do dobro, tal a quantidade de vezes que voltava atrás e lia 2 ou mais vezes a...more
Barberry
...Bayard Sartoris returned to his hometown from the battlefields of the First World War, bought a sports car and drove it so hazardously as if he wanted to experience the danger and speed of the patrol flight during which his tween brother John had been shot down. He spent several months in the Sartoris family house, enough time to ride wild horses, to hunt, to marry a woman, to cause a car accident that resulted in his grandfather's death, and left his pregnant wife and the hometown forever......more
shawn
just ramping up to the true masterpieces, this early work clearly indicates what faulkner was on the cusp of achieving. his language is already so detailed, so much more about the setting and circumstances than the inner workings of his characters, that it's a beautiful read. the plot doesn't get entirely fleshed out, but one doesn't really mind -- especially knowing that this book serves as something of a theme, wherein the main elements of most of the rest of his oeuvre are introduced or allud...more
Edwarda
Pienso en ti por la noche, sé de ti algo más que verte andar por la calle con la ropa puesta. Pasas junto a mí, no te das cuenta, yo sí.
William S.
This was my first sustained reading of Faulkner, and I was very disappointed. The writing was fine and subtle, and the setting memorable, both as to place and play of generations. What was jarring was the author's characterization of black Americans, soldiers who had fought in the First World War. Here was an appalling succession of period StepnFetchit stereotypes. I could hardly believe it. Now I have read more Faulkner (in particular The Portable Faulkner, edited by Malcolm Cowley), which just...more
Suzanne
While I was in the midst of this, the L.A. Times ran a good article in the weekend travel section about Faulkner's hometown of Oxford, Mississippi and how the area became the basis for the fictional Yoknapatawpha County. http://www.latimes.com/travel/la-tr-o...

The writer points out what all true Faulkner fans know: "Faulkner's genius lies in both how he reflected his own world and how, on this ground, he uncovered something universal and profound."

J. Alfred
This is Faulkner's third novel, and it kicked off a string of his best (which happen to be some of the best in all American literature). You can that he is just sort of finding his stride with this one, and his characteristic traits are just starting to get solidified (including the perfectly imprecise adjectives. At two points in this book he refers to someone's "plausible face"- plausible face?), but it is still very good and a strong read. Faulkner is perfect for the summer.
Sam Reaves
I read The Sound and the Fury years ago but never got to anything else by Faulkner until now. This was the first of his Yoknapatawpha County novels and introduced many of the players who would reappear in later works. Bayard Sartoris comes back from the First World War to the stagnant, decaying society of northern Mississippi and proceeds to shake things up...
Marcelo Lee
i got confused at first... Faulkner suddenly throws out so many different Sartoris that it got kind of hard for me to keep up with everyone, but as novels unfolds, little by little things start to make more sense, until I realized it was all the people in this particular family, but on the weight of its name. To be proud and ashamed of a name, to carry the weight of it.
Robin Pyburn
I read most of Faulkner's novels over 50 years ago. In my teens, some were quite difficult but his whole oeuvre has left a lasting impression on me, particularly the Yoknapatawpha County novels, which fed into a fascination with the South. That probably began with Br'er Rabbit and Uncle Tom's Cabin and continues to such more recent works as Scotsboro and The Help
Mairi
Picked up this book for one euro at a used bookshop in Lisbon. It is a first edition and the pages are falling out...love that. Now I learn that the title has even been changed. You find yourself wondering if Falkner was racist..and quick web search, seems like a murky subject. Lots of stereotypical descriptions in this one. But very realistic picture of the time.
Michelle
At the heart of this book is a story of the loss and guilt of one brother losing his twin in the Great War. He never fully recovers because he never believed himself to hold a candle to his twin. The development of supporting characters added depth and sometimes humor to the Sartoris' legendary presence in their small southern town.
Mercedes
After a visit to Rowan Oak on my Mississippi trip I wanted to read/reread all his novels from the beginning. Sartoris was one I had not yet read and was the first set in Yoknapatawpha County giving a early look at characters who appear in later novels.
Adam
Mar 22, 2007 Adam rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who rock
Shelves: generalstoryage
one of many a volume in Faulkner's fictinal yonknapatawapha (sp) county revolving around the snopes (as memory serves) family. pretty much good writing but meh, stand alone, not the hottest, but certainly no waste. served best w/ additional helpings.
Belinda Guerette
Introduces us to the Sartoris family and the Snopes family, as well as some of Faulkner's other recurring people. Not my favorite of his novels, but important because we see familiar faces for the first time.
Mary
The prequel to The Unvanquished. Brilliant backstory of Bayard, Loosh, Roscoe (Where does he end up?). Hilarious Yankee shooting scene. Granny is another tough Sartoris lady, like Aunt Jenny. I love them all.
Tiffany
I liked it, but it dragged a little towards the end, but then picked back up. I think I like Absalom, Absalom! and The Sound and the Fury more than I liked this one.
Vanesa
Cuesta un poco entrar en la historia y ordenar el árbol genealógico de la familia Sartoris. Me ha gustado, pero quedan varias lagunas sin resolver.
Ayu Palar
My brother bought this for me. It's gonna be my first experience reading Faulkner.
Sue Davis
Haven't read it yet so shouldn't be any stars.
Badd_moon
The beginning of Faulkner
Jon
"Town among trees, along whose shade-lined streets - like green tunnels - quiet lives accomplish their peaceful tragedies." - William Faulkner
  • Dodsworth
  • Winner Take Nothing
  • The Death of a Beekeeper
  • The Cyclist Conspiracy
  • Will: The Autobiography of G. Gordon Liddy
  • Edna St. Vincent Millay: Poems (Everyman's Library Pocket Poets)
  • Letter from Peking
  • My Life
William Cuthbert Faulkner was a Nobel Prize-winning American novelist and short story writer. One of the most influential writers of the twentieth century, his reputation is based mostly on his novels, novellas, and short stories. He was also a published poet and an occasional screenwriter.
The majority of his works are based in his native state of Mississippi. Though his work was published as earl...more
More about William Faulkner...
The Sound and the Fury As I Lay Dying Light in August Absalom, Absalom! A Rose for Emily