Germs Make Me Sick! (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 2) (Reading Rainbow Book)

Germs Make Me Sick! (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 2) (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 2)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  144 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Bacteria and viruses have never looked so good! As packed with wit and good humor as with charts and diagrams, this book is the best explanation of how your body fights germs.
Published August 18th 1995 by HarperCollins Children's Books (first published April 1st 1985)

Be the first to ask a question about Germs Make Me Sick! (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 2)

Hoang Shin
This book can be very informative for young readers. It breaks down every detail of why and how germs can make you sick. I like how it also includes helpful cell diagrams to show you how your body reacts to the germs that are inside of your body.
I would use this book to teach about cells as well as how to practice healthy habits. It's important to emphasize good hygiene with young children so that they can grow into adults that practice good hygiene!

The diagrams in this book shows a different s...more
Heather
We've been spreading the germs around our family lately and one of the boys wanted to know WHY he was sick so we pulled out this book today. It explains germs (bacteria and viruses) in a simple and clean manner. They were able to understand why people get sick. That knowledge though scared the crap right out of them - their eyes got big and their mouths dropped open. What do you MEAN our cells are dying? You feel sick because germs are KILLING your cells? They looked terrified. So we had a littl...more
We love this series of books "Read and Find Out Science". We have the "From Seed to Pumpkin" and have read "How Mountains Are Made" and love them both.

This book in particular had great, easy to understand information about germs: bacteria & viruses, what they do to your body, how they make you feel, and how they spread.

While the text is a little wordy, I thought the great illustrations were detailed enough to keep my son interested while I read the text (about one paragraph per 1-2 pages)....more
Caitlen
This is the book that turned my 5-year-old self into a germaphobe for life. From the moment I read this book on, I have been a germaphobe...maybe more so when I was a kid than now, but some aspects of that germaphobia are still there. I would no longer share drinks with my mom, instead insisting on an extra cup or at the very least my own straw. Same went with eating (cookies, brownies, other desserts mostly....could not eat a part that they had already touched, either with their mouth or even w...more
Jodi Heidlage
This is a book that describes what germs are, how they're transmitted, and how to get rid of germs and keep them away. This is a good book to read to help children understand why they wash their hands, and to talk about situations where they should wash their hands other than routine situations (e.g. played in dirt, sneezed, coughed). This would be an especially good book to read in the winter around cold and flu season.
Jen Goeden
The story Germs Make Me Sick is book that teaches you what germs are and how they make you sick. Also is about different germs that are in the world.

The book Germs Make Me Sick! is a great book to read to your students when you are studying health and how to keep yourself from getting sick. The pictures in the book full the page from top to bottom and some of them are funny. There are many captions within the story. The captions are characters talking about what is happing within the picture. Th...more
Kaycee
Germs Make Me Sick gives children a look at the different aspects of germs and what it takes to make them sick. It also helps to illustrate what the body does to keep children healthy and what doctors and bacteria and viruses do. The book is written in second person format, which is a little different, but it helps to personalize the story for the kids. The illustrations are simple and there are dogs and cats on every page that help to teach kids about the different aspects of germs and sickness...more
Christina
I used to read this all the time when I was a kid.
Sarah Sorensen
Great picture book to teach children about germs and how to stay healthy!
Autumn Yoon
This book teaches students what germs are and how they make you sick.
The book goes into detail by covering different germs!
It is a great book to read to your students when designing a lesson on health! The book can be a great resource to use to help students understand germs, how they get sick, what makes them feel sick, and what steps to practice to make sure they don't get sick!
Great book for grades 1-3!
Cornelius
Whitney Bailey
Story with great pictures to help present things such as: germs, vaccines, sicknesses and great story line. The story is somewhat long, so the teacher would need to break it up into different parts throughout the week. This book would be great to introduce to any unit of science dealing with health and hygiene and the mini organisms that are everywhere!
Asha Smith
This is an educational book, that teaches the students terms like germs, bacteria and virus. The book describes what happens when a person gets sick. It also teaches children how to prevent getting sick and procedures like hand washing. It was a interesting read but it was long. It would be a good book to read for a science lesson.
Tynisha Thompkins
A great, informative (easy-read) book about germs. It really breaks it down in a kid-friendly way about viruses and bacteria. It also includes charts and side notes about germs and how you catch them, and even provide ways to prevent them! This would be a great book to read in class to inform your students about staying healthy!
Ali Hembree
This non-fiction book shows exactly how germs transfer and what the different kinds of germs look like. It lets students know how small they are as well as where germs are found in many different situations. I would use this book for students in 4th and 5th grades to show them about different kinds of germs.
Amanda Stacy
Awesome book to teach about germs, hygiene and how to stay healthy. This book could be used to set up routines to stay healthy like washing hands or using hand sanitizer. Depending on how it's used this book can be read to Pre-K or for higher grades like 3rd to teach a science lesson.
Oana Cerchezan
This book would be great to use in a kindergarten classroom to teach the students about germs and how we can prevent germs from spreading. This is something that needs to be done at the beginning of the school year. We can talk about what germs cause and what happens when we get sick.
Mary
This is a great narrative non-fiction book for elementary aged children about germs, what they are, and how they make us sick. It is pretty text heavy, but there are also pictures. It would be good for children to learn more about why they get sick and how they can make healthy choices.
Suzy
Excellent information that allowed me to convince Nathan that washing hands is very important. It gave a more hands-on feel to germs so that he understood instead of just thinking that I was being strict about something that didn't appear to be there.
Lita
This book is all about germs and how they can make you sick. It discusses the different kinds of germs, their shapes, and how germs spread. It also includes a list of ways to stay healthy. This is a great science book.
Brittany N
This book would be great for a lesson on the human body. It goes into detail explaining how your body fights germs. The book mixes info with reassurance which is important for young children.
Luana
This book is ideal for 2nd-4th grade when discussing about germs and bacteria. I would use it in the explain portion of a 5E lesson plan. We would look at ways germs affect us in our daily lives.
Mia Obiwo
This is a good book that helps children to be conscious of germs and their effects. Teaches students about how germs and how they can spread easily. Good book for 1st-3rd graders.
Elizabeth
This is a good book to use when talking to students about health and germs. It teaches students how germs are spread and what they can do to stay healthy. Great for a science lesson!
Lindsey Lubker
This book discusses how we should be aware that germs are all around us. The book discussed what bacteria and viruses are and what we can do to help keep healthy.
Deborah Harris
Dec 15, 2013 Deborah Harris added it
Shelves: a12, ar-3
AR Quiz No. 8413 EN Nonfiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 3.7 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, VP
Joseph Szabo
Okay, I read it at the Doctor's Office while waiting so sue me. It was light, fun and it's still a book damn it. Next time I'll bring Ulysses with me, okay.
Marie Flanigan
This is a good introduction to germs and how they spread and why it's important to wash our hands and cover our mouths when we cough or sneeze.
Tiffany Young
This book explains how the human body attacks germs using pictures and diagrams. It would be great for teaching students about the immune system.
Jillian Reed
Pretty informative. It has an attractive story line as well illustrations. Helps kids relate to why they get sick and how to keep healthy.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • What Is the World Made Of?: All About Solids, Liquids, and Gases
  • Digging Up Dinosaurs
  • Is a Blue Whale the Biggest Thing There Is?
  • The Giant Carrot
  • From Caterpillar to Butterfly
  • Archaeologists Dig for Clues
  • Why Do Leaves Change Color?
  • The Magic School Bus Inside a Hurricane (The Magic School Bus, #7)
  • From Seed to Pumpkin (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 1)
  • Biggest, Strongest, Fastest
  • Give Me Half! (MathStart Level 2)
  • Somewhere in the World Right Now
  • Curious Critters
  • Spaghetti and Meatballs for All!
  • The Story of Snow: The Science of Winter's Wonder
  • How Many Seeds in a Pumpkin?
  • Millions to Measure
  • Michael Recycle
Why I Sneeze, Shiver, Hiccup, & Yawn Oil Spill! Spinning Spiders Switch On, Switch Off 101 Animal Secrets