Start by marking “Germs Make Me Sick!” as Want to Read:
Germs Make Me Sick!

Germs Make Me Sick! (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 2)

How are you feeling?

Most of the time you feel fine, but sometimes you get sick. Sometimes a germ catches up with you.

Germs are all around you, but they are too small for you to see. Many germs are harmless, but two kinds, viruses and bacteria, can make you sick. Read and find out about germs, how they can make you sick, and how your body works to fight them off and keep yo
Published September 7th 1995 by HarperCollins (first published April 1st 1985)

Alexis Munk
Nov 29, 2016 Alexis Munk rated it it was ok
This book is awesome to teach children about germs. It tells you the different ways of getting germs and how it can make you sick. I don't think children understand how easily germs are spread and this book is a great example of how it happens. It is a longer book though so I would only let maybe 3rd or 4th graders read it.
Caitlen
Nov 11, 2011 Caitlen rated it it was ok
This is the book that turned my 5-year-old self into a germaphobe for life. From the moment I read this book on, I have been a germaphobe...maybe more so when I was a kid than now, but some aspects of that germaphobia are still there. I would no longer share drinks with my mom, instead insisting on an extra cup or at the very least my own straw. Same went with eating (cookies, brownies, other desserts mostly....could not eat a part that they had already touched, either with their mouth or even ...more
Natalie Cosellian
Summary:
This book is an instructional book on germs and how we catch the, what they are, and how to deal with them. This book has many facts in it where some might be hard to understand unless you're older. They use bigger words such as antibodies and blood cells. Most children do not know what it is saying. The illustrations show diagrams and has some speech bubbles here and there. This falls into the science/nature category of non fiction. The end of the book has a good conclusion listing rul
Heather
Dec 01, 2008 Heather rated it liked it
We've been spreading the germs around our family lately and one of the boys wanted to know WHY he was sick so we pulled out this book today. It explains germs (bacteria and viruses) in a simple and clean manner. They were able to understand why people get sick. That knowledge though scared the crap right out of them - their eyes got big and their mouths dropped open. What do you MEAN our cells are dying? You feel sick because germs are KILLING your cells? They looked terrified. So we had a ...more
May 01, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
We love this series of books "Read and Find Out Science". We have the "From Seed to Pumpkin" and have read "How Mountains Are Made" and love them both.

This book in particular had great, easy to understand information about germs: bacteria & viruses, what they do to your body, how they make you feel, and how they spread.

While the text is a little wordy, I thought the great illustrations were detailed enough to keep my son interested while I read the text (about one paragraph per 1-2 pages).
Jen Goeden
Mar 23, 2010 Jen Goeden rated it it was amazing
The story Germs Make Me Sick is book that teaches you what germs are and how they make you sick. Also is about different germs that are in the world.

The book Germs Make Me Sick! is a great book to read to your students when you are studying health and how to keep yourself from getting sick. The pictures in the book full the page from top to bottom and some of them are funny. There are many captions within the story. The captions are characters talking about what is happing within the picture. Th
Laura Verret
May 04, 2015 Laura Verret rated it really liked it
In this book Melvin Berger and Marylin Hafner teach children about germs, both viral and bacterial, through an engaging picture book format. Although the information is basic, they still manage to convey lots of information like…

- The differences between bacteria and viruses,

- A comparison of how different germs affect the system,

- How white blood cells go about fighting off disease, and

- How we catch germs in the first place.

Vaccination-sensitive parents may be wary of a reference on page 31 to
Kaycee
May 29, 2013 Kaycee rated it liked it
Germs Make Me Sick gives children a look at the different aspects of germs and what it takes to make them sick. It also helps to illustrate what the body does to keep children healthy and what doctors and bacteria and viruses do. The book is written in second person format, which is a little different, but it helps to personalize the story for the kids. The illustrations are simple and there are dogs and cats on every page that help to teach kids about the different aspects of germs and ...more
Hoang Shin
Apr 08, 2014 Hoang Shin rated it it was amazing
This book can be very informative for young readers. It breaks down every detail of why and how germs can make you sick. I like how it also includes helpful cell diagrams to show you how your body reacts to the germs that are inside of your body.
I would use this book to teach about cells as well as how to practice healthy habits. It's important to emphasize good hygiene with young children so that they can grow into adults that practice good hygiene!

The diagrams in this book shows a different s
Ann Cox
This is an informative (if somewhat dated) nonfiction book for younger and older elementary aged children. It describes in detail how people get sick from the spread of germs and what exactly germs do in the body to make it sick. The language used in this book is not too technical so I don't think elementary aged children would have any trouble understanding it. I think this would be a good book to share with all kids so that they can understand how bacteria and viruses are spread and what they ...more
Christina
Jul 15, 2015 Christina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is very very old. I used to read this all the time when I was a kid.

This book teaches kids all about the germs that can make you sick. They start out about learning about viruses and bacteria. There are descriptions and pictures provided of the different Bacteria.

The kids then learn about the different ways you body stops germs from getting in and how your body fights germs that do get into your body. You learn about going to the doctor and getting medicine from the pharmacy.

The end
Autumn Yoon
This book teaches students what germs are and how they make you sick.
The book goes into detail by covering different germs!
It is a great book to read to your students when designing a lesson on health! The book can be a great resource to use to help students understand germs, how they get sick, what makes them feel sick, and what steps to practice to make sure they don't get sick!
Great book for grades 1-3!
Jodi Heidlage
Jun 26, 2014 Jodi Heidlage rated it really liked it
This is a book that describes what germs are, how they're transmitted, and how to get rid of germs and keep them away. This is a good book to read to help children understand why they wash their hands, and to talk about situations where they should wash their hands other than routine situations (e.g. played in dirt, sneezed, coughed). This would be an especially good book to read in the winter around cold and flu season.
Chelsea Merkley
Apr 02, 2015 Chelsea Merkley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is for more advanced readers. I'd say about 4th or 5th Graders, or maybe a really advanced 3rd Grader. The pictures and explanations of germs, viruses and bacteria- go into more detail. This book may be too long and too advanced for Early Childhood Classes, like Pre-School to 2nd Grade. More advanced, younger readers may read about half the book, and look at the pictures for the rest of the time. There is a list of good hygiene on page 31.
Cornelius
Dec 05, 2010 Cornelius rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-books
Asha Smith
Feb 09, 2011 Asha Smith rated it liked it
This is an educational book, that teaches the students terms like germs, bacteria and virus. The book describes what happens when a person gets sick. It also teaches children how to prevent getting sick and procedures like hand washing. It was a interesting read but it was long. It would be a good book to read for a science lesson.
Tynisha Thompkins
Dec 16, 2009 Tynisha Thompkins rated it liked it
A great, informative (easy-read) book about germs. It really breaks it down in a kid-friendly way about viruses and bacteria. It also includes charts and side notes about germs and how you catch them, and even provide ways to prevent them! This would be a great book to read in class to inform your students about staying healthy!
Whitney Bailey
Story with great pictures to help present things such as: germs, vaccines, sicknesses and great story line. The story is somewhat long, so the teacher would need to break it up into different parts throughout the week. This book would be great to introduce to any unit of science dealing with health and hygiene and the mini organisms that are everywhere!
Ali Hembree
Apr 22, 2012 Ali Hembree rated it it was amazing
This non-fiction book shows exactly how germs transfer and what the different kinds of germs look like. It lets students know how small they are as well as where germs are found in many different situations. I would use this book for students in 4th and 5th grades to show them about different kinds of germs.
Suzy
May 02, 2011 Suzy rated it it was amazing
Excellent information that allowed me to convince Nathan that washing hands is very important. It gave a more hands-on feel to germs so that he understood instead of just thinking that I was being strict about something that didn't appear to be there.
Lita
Dec 01, 2010 Lita rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-books
This book is all about germs and how they can make you sick. It discusses the different kinds of germs, their shapes, and how germs spread. It also includes a list of ways to stay healthy. This is a great science book.
Oana Cerchezan
Oct 15, 2012 Oana Cerchezan rated it it was ok
Shelves: science, content
This book would be great to use in a kindergarten classroom to teach the students about germs and how we can prevent germs from spreading. This is something that needs to be done at the beginning of the school year. We can talk about what germs cause and what happens when we get sick.
Amanda Stacy
Awesome book to teach about germs, hygiene and how to stay healthy. This book could be used to set up routines to stay healthy like washing hands or using hand sanitizer. Depending on how it's used this book can be read to Pre-K or for higher grades like 3rd to teach a science lesson.
Mary
This is a great narrative non-fiction book for elementary aged children about germs, what they are, and how they make us sick. It is pretty text heavy, but there are also pictures. It would be good for children to learn more about why they get sick and how they can make healthy choices.
Marie Flanigan
May 13, 2009 Marie Flanigan rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This is a good introduction to germs and how they spread and why it's important to wash our hands and cover our mouths when we cough or sneeze.
Mia Obiwo
Apr 22, 2012 Mia Obiwo rated it really liked it
This is a good book that helps children to be conscious of germs and their effects. Teaches students about how germs and how they can spread easily. Good book for 1st-3rd graders.
Jeremy
Actually a lot better than I expected. It breaks germs into categories of bacteria and viruses.

Read again on May 29, 2015.
Elizabeth
This is a good book to use when talking to students about health and germs. It teaches students how germs are spread and what they can do to stay healthy. Great for a science lesson!
Tiffany Young
Apr 15, 2012 Tiffany Young rated it liked it
Shelves: science
This book explains how the human body attacks germs using pictures and diagrams. It would be great for teaching students about the immune system.
Jillian Reed
Sep 10, 2012 Jillian Reed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: germs
Pretty informative. It has an attractive story line as well illustrations. Helps kids relate to why they get sick and how to keep healthy.
  • The Skeleton Inside You
  • What Is the World Made Of?: All About Solids, Liquids, and Gases
  • What Makes a Magnet?
  • Who Eats What?: Food Chains and Food Webs
  • From Tadpole to Frog
  • Is a Blue Whale the Biggest Thing There Is?
  • My Five Senses Big Book (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 1)
  • How a Seed Grows
  • The Giant Carrot
  • Why I Sneeze, Shiver, Hiccup, & Yawn
  • How Do Apples Grow?
  • Where Does the Garbage Go?
  • Clouds
  • Curious Critters
  • The Magic School Bus Inside a Beehive (The Magic School Bus, #8)

Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 2 (1 - 10 of 80 books)
  • Follow the Water from Brook to Ocean
  • Almost Gone: The World's Rarest Animals
  • The Sky Is Full of Stars
  • My Visit to the Dinosaurs
  • Down Comes the Rain
  • Archaeologists Dig for Clues
  • Wiggling Worms at Work
  • Why Do Leaves Change Color?
  • Mission to Mars