Start by marking “The Shambhala guide to yoga” as Want to Read:
The Shambhala guide to yoga

The Shambhala guide to yoga

This overview of the essentials of Yoga is meant to both broaden and deepen the understanding of beginning students. It covers all the basic elements of this ancient discipline and philosophy of India—including Yoga poses, diet, breath control, meditation, mantras, Kundalini energy, and more. It also includes newly translated excerpts from the scriptures and pays special ...more
Published March 22nd 1996 by Shambhala Publications, Inc. (first published March 19th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Shambhala guide to yoga, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shambhala guide to yoga

Sydra Mallery
Aug 05, 2015 Sydra Mallery rated it really liked it
Though it comes off as dry and academic to some readers, I felt that the author spoke very clearly and in a straightforward manner about some yoga concepts that are difficult to understand. Though I've read about them elsewhere they made more sense to me in the context and language of this book.
Heather
Oct 03, 2008 Heather rated it it was amazing
A good well-rounded guide to many aspects of yoga. The book places yoga in its historical and cultural context helping to define the discipline in modern times.
Rachelle
Jan 12, 2015 Rachelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good historical overview of yoga
Craig Shoemake
This is a good introductory survey of the field of yoga by the man who is probably the most popular yoga scholar around. I emphasize the word popular because I’m not actually sure how much cutting edge research (new translations, scholarly publications, etc) he’s actually doing these days. Probably not much, since Feuerstein is now retired, but his books are generally so approachable that for people who want coverage of yoga’s intellectual heritage, he is often the go-to man.

This particular off
Tim O'Riordan
Dec 13, 2010 Tim O'Riordan rated it really liked it
I have read a number of books on Yoga and a few by Georg Feuerstein and I wish I had started with this one as it would have made some of the others easier to follow. This is a good introduction to what Yoga really is; a spiritual path to self-enlightenment. It is neither too long nor too complicated but it does give a good introduction to the many diverse aspects of yoga life.

"...in the West, Yoga is frequently reduced to fitness training bereft of any reference to its original spiritual purpose
Ill Lily
Aug 02, 2011 Ill Lily rated it really liked it
A great primer for those who wish to explore the real breadth of Yoga. Chapter by chapter unfolds each petal of Yoga practice, stretching far past explanations of asana. While Feuerstein does a great job of explaining these facets in summarization, each vast topic requires much further exploration. Overall, he pulls from a wide variety of respected sources and writes from a genuine place of passion for the subject.
Jacob
Mar 05, 2013 Jacob rated it really liked it
Feuerstein gives a great introduction into the different lineages, meanings and practices of yoga. His chapters allow the reader to focus on specific aspects of yoga ( Breathing, Meditation, Mantra) and gives a very clear understanding of how yoga practice has developed and evolved overtime. I recommend this book to anyone who is interested in Yoga and wants to know the different aspects of this spiritual practice.
Bernadette
Apr 06, 2012 Bernadette rated it liked it
Shelves: yoga
Overview of yoga. This is definitely not Lululemon - book is Intense and its paradigm-shifting ideas will have one questioning one's Western worldviews and one's relationships to others, to oneself, to the present, and to eternity.
Neda
Jan 27, 2013 Neda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very, very informative but a bit dry at times. I may have to re-read a few chapters as I wasn't familiar with all of the concepts and terminology and sort of just scanned through them. The author also co-wrote Yoga for Dummies which was a much easier read for a beginner like myself.
Ket5d
Mar 27, 2012 Ket5d rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a pretty good overview. There were many things I didn't realize about yoga and meditation. It's nice to have someone who seems to be knowledgeable explain the principles of different forms of yoga.
Shea
Apr 01, 2012 Shea rated it it was amazing
Absolutely beautiful. My only regret is that I was on a time schedule to finish it and read it rather quickly. I would like to read it again and be able to take notes. It is a good introduction and overview of the 'philosophy of yoga'.
Maryanne
Shambhala Guide to Yoga By Georg Feuerstein Seems to have changed names.

ZThe Shambhala Guide to Yoga 1/10/2014 Georg Feuerstein
ok
but too tec
Ali
Ali rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2012
Melissa Long
Melissa Long rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2012
Ian Vance
Ian Vance rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2011
Candace Gail
Candace Gail rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2014
Jenna
Jenna rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2013
Matthew Harris
Matthew Harris rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2014
Paula C  Paluch
Paula C Paluch rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2014
Bing Mei
Bing Mei rated it liked it
Jul 05, 2014
Melissa
Melissa rated it it was amazing
Nov 14, 2007
James Bray
Aug 12, 2012 James Bray rated it it was amazing
CONCISE BUT THOROUGH ON THE REAL MEANING OF YOGA
Jeuline
Jeuline rated it really liked it
Mar 11, 2009
Bonita Braun
Bonita Braun rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2014
Jenhutton05
Jenhutton05 rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2014
Erik Rodgers
Erik Rodgers rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2014
B
B rated it liked it
Jun 22, 2015
Nicole black
Nicole black rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2009
Rebeca illescas
Rebeca illescas rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2011
Mustafa Al-Laylah
Mustafa Al-Laylah rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Yoga of Breath: A Step-by-Step Guide to Pranayama
  • Yoga Mind, Body & Spirit: A Return to Wholeness
  • Yoga Nidra
  • Mindfulness Yoga: The Awakened Union of Breath, Body, and Mind
  • Yoga: The Iyengar Way
  • Yoga for Transformation: Ancient Teachings and Practices for Healing the Body, Mind,and Heart
  • Hatha Yoga Pradipika
  • 21st Century Yoga: Culture, Politics, and Practice
  • The Taoist I Ching
  • The Complete Illustrated Book of Yoga
  • Structural Yoga Therapy: Adapting to the Individual
Georg A. Feuerstein was an Indologist and, according to his associate Ken Wilber, among the foremost Westerns scholar-practitioners of yoga. After doing his postgraduate research at Durham University in England, he moved to the United States, eventually settling in Canada with his wife and sometime co-author Brenda.
More about Georg Feuerstein...