Start by marking “The Breathing Book: Good Health and Vitality Through Essential Breath Work” as Want to Read:
The Breathing Book: Good Health and Vitality Through Essential Breath Work

The Breathing Book: Good Health and Vitality Through Essential Breath Work

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  322 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
A new approach to improving quality of life through your most accessible resource: your breath.

Internationally renowned yoga instructor Donna Farhi presents a refreshingly simple and practical guide to reestablishing proper breathing techniques that will dramatically improve your physical and mental health. Complete with more that seventy-five photos and illustrations, Th
Published November 15th 1996 by Holt Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about The Breathing Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Breathing Book

Rae
Mar 07, 2009 Rae rated it really liked it
Donna Farhi has written some of the best books on yoga out there (see the classic Yoga Mind, Body, & Spirit, and the genius Bringing Yoga to Life), and I have been looking forward to seeing what she would say about the breath when she's not designing inquiries for practitioners of asana. I think she's the best yoga voice in print - she says important things in memorable ways that have mattered immeasurably to my own exploration, and she has a notable gift for being able to narrate and illust ...more
Nikki Magennis
Mar 07, 2012 Nikki Magennis rated it it was amazing
This book is really exceptional. Gentle, subtle, thorough and wonderfully useful. The author writes with such quiet authority it feels like a beginning 'inquiry' to even read her words. There are no quick fixes or easy answers in here, though, so don't buy it if you're not prepared to meet the author halfway and actually try doing some of the yoga-like work within.
Plenty of informative physiological information on breathing. Plenty more grounded but philosophical ideas on breathing, too. There'
Elijay
Jun 18, 2016 Elijay rated it it was amazing
Shelves: yoga, 2016
I found it very difficult to find a book about yogic breathing despite it being integral to yoga practise. So, when I bought this book I was happy that I found what I had been looking for. Farhi's practises and explanations are easy to understand. There are very well drawn digrams which help you to comprehend the anatomy of more subtle breathing patterns (these are not always easy to feel). This book is great for anyone who is has an asana practice.

From a personal perspective I would say that t
Jan
Dec 26, 2013 Jan rated it it was ok
Just as I commented in my review of Yoga Body Mind and Spirit, this book is largely fluff. Farhi does not present many of the key pranayama techniques, and refuses to provide the Sanskrit. Her experiential exercises are good if you are a beginner. To me, this was not a helpful book for an intermediate or advanced student, or for a teacher trainee. Pass.
Heather
Aug 08, 2007 Heather rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic book for anyone who wants to use their breath in ways to reduce stress and feel better. This book is extremely accessible for all readers and will make you completely fascinated by your own breath through all the guided inquiries.
Mimi
Jun 29, 2007 Mimi rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: yogis
Shelves: forthespirit
i really like donna farhi. i had the opportunity to take a workshop with her and it really changed the way i practice yoga and move in general. one day i hope to study with her in new zealand. annie, you should read this.
Anne
Jan 05, 2013 Anne rated it it was amazing
Really exceptional and useful book so far - in yoga and especially in daily life. Have reduced amount of asthma med since I started reading the book, doing the exercises and incorporating these into life in general.
Tracy Weber
Sep 03, 2013 Tracy Weber rated it really liked it
I only normally recommend Viniyoga books, but his one has some wonderful breath practices that I liberally steal for my teacher training program. A great text for people looking to explore the power of the breath!
Leticia
Jul 12, 2007 Leticia rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
And, you thought you knew how to breathe. This book offers additional insights and exercises to help you achieve proper yogic breathing techniques, which inevitably lead to better breathing during your daily life.
Mark
May 17, 2011 Mark rated it it was amazing
Great exercises to improve both your breathing and your awareness of your breathing. Even if you regularly practice yoga or meditation, these exercises can help give you new insight into the breath.
Clara
Dec 09, 2011 Clara rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, yoga
I read this book for my yoga teachering training course and enjoyed the author's ideas, suggestions, and exercises to help broaden my knowledge and use of the breath in yoga and in life.
Mark
Skimmed copy via Summit. I believe I need this.

Put on-pause 26 April 2016 as have not touched it in a very good while.
Linda
Feb 17, 2013 Linda rated it really liked it
Very interesting perspective on breath work. I have read other things by this author and this is my favorite one so far.
Michelle
I think I very much need this book! My breathing techniques need serious work!
Terri Kirkman
Aug 08, 2014 Terri Kirkman rated it really liked it
great book about using the breath to heal
John
John rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2016
TaraHu
TaraHu rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2016
Samudra
Samudra marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Chelsey
Chelsey marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Renee Gahan
Renee Gahan rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2016
stephen fry
stephen fry rated it it was amazing
Aug 16, 2016
羽烿 陈
羽烿 陈 marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
Mariyan Traykov
Mariyan Traykov marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2016
Kripaluyogateacher
Kripaluyogateacher rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2016
Susan
Susan rated it it was ok
Aug 09, 2016
Johnna Dominguez Paredes
Johnna Dominguez Paredes marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
Christy
Christy marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2016
Debs
Debs marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
  • Relax and Renew: Restful Yoga for Stressful Times
  • Yoga The Spirit And Practice Of Moving Into Stillness
  • Back Care Basics: A Doctor's Gentle Yoga Program for Back and Neck Pain Relief
  • Yoga Tradition (REV Ed)
  • Yin Yoga: Outline of a Quiet Practice
  • Anatomy of Movement
  • Mindfulness Yoga: The Awakened Union of Breath, Body, and Mind
  • The Key Muscles of Hatha Yoga
  • Yoga as Medicine: The Yogic Prescription for Health and Healing
  • Will Yoga & Meditation Really Change My Life?: Personal Stories from 25 of North America's Leading Teachers; A Kripalu Book