The Breathing Book: Good Health and Vitality Through Essential Breath Work

The Breathing Book: Good Health and Vitality Through Essential Breath Work

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  186 ratings  ·  13 reviews
A groundbreaking approach to improving the quality of your life through the most readily accessible resource: your breath. These safe and easy-to-learn techniques can also be used to treat asthma and ease stress, depression, eating disorders, insomnia, arthritis, chronic pain, and other debilitating conditions.
Published November 15th 1996 by Holt Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about The Breathing Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Breathing Book

Rae
Donna Farhi has written some of the best books on yoga out there (see the classic Yoga Mind, Body, & Spirit, and the genius Bringing Yoga to Life), and I have been looking forward to seeing what she would say about the breath when she's not designing inquiries for practitioners of asana. I think she's the best yoga voice in print - she says important things in memorable ways that have mattered immeasurably to my own exploration, and she has a notable gift for being able to narrate and illust...more
Nikki Magennis
This book is really exceptional. Gentle, subtle, thorough and wonderfully useful. The author writes with such quiet authority it feels like a beginning 'inquiry' to even read her words. There are no quick fixes or easy answers in here, though, so don't buy it if you're not prepared to meet the author halfway and actually try doing some of the yoga-like work within.
Plenty of informative physiological information on breathing. Plenty more grounded but philosophical ideas on breathing, too. There'...more
Jan
Just as I commented in my review of Yoga Body Mind and Spirit, this book is largely fluff. Farhi does not present many of the key pranayama techniques, and refuses to provide the Sanskrit. Her experiential exercises are good if you are a beginner. To me, this was not a helpful book for an intermediate or advanced student, or for a teacher trainee. Pass.
Heather
This is a fantastic book for anyone who wants to use their breath in ways to reduce stress and feel better. This book is extremely accessible for all readers and will make you completely fascinated by your own breath through all the guided inquiries.
Mimi
Jun 29, 2007 Mimi rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: yogis
Shelves: forthespirit
i really like donna farhi. i had the opportunity to take a workshop with her and it really changed the way i practice yoga and move in general. one day i hope to study with her in new zealand. annie, you should read this.
Anne
Really exceptional and useful book so far - in yoga and especially in daily life. Have reduced amount of asthma med since I started reading the book, doing the exercises and incorporating these into life in general.
Tracy Weber
I only normally recommend Viniyoga books, but his one has some wonderful breath practices that I liberally steal for my teacher training program. A great text for people looking to explore the power of the breath!
Leticia
Jul 12, 2007 Leticia rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
And, you thought you knew how to breathe. This book offers additional insights and exercises to help you achieve proper yogic breathing techniques, which inevitably lead to better breathing during your daily life.
Mark
Great exercises to improve both your breathing and your awareness of your breathing. Even if you regularly practice yoga or meditation, these exercises can help give you new insight into the breath.
Clara
I read this book for my yoga teachering training course and enjoyed the author's ideas, suggestions, and exercises to help broaden my knowledge and use of the breath in yoga and in life.
Linda
Very interesting perspective on breath work. I have read other things by this author and this is my favorite one so far.
Michelle
I think I very much need this book! My breathing techniques need serious work!
Terri Kirkman
great book about using the breath to heal
torque
torque marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Nisha
Nisha marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Amy St.
Amy St. marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Mindy
Mindy marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Bethany
Bethany marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Virendra
Virendra marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Bernie Gourley
Bernie Gourley marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
  • Paths to God: Living the Bhagavad Gita
  • Yoga Anatomy
  • Anatomy Trains: Myofascial Meridians for Manual and Movement Therapists
  • Meditation for the Love of It: Enjoying Your Own Deepest Experience
Bringing Yoga to Life: The Everyday Practice of Enlightened Living Yoga Mind, Body & Spirit: A Return to Wholeness Teaching Yoga: Exploring the Teacher-Student Relationship Breaking Free from Sloth: A HarperOne Select Bringing Yoga To Life