Start by marking “The Breathing Book: Good Health and Vitality Through Essential Breath Work” as Want to Read:
The Breathing Book: Good Health and Vitality Through Essential Breath Work

The Breathing Book: Good Health and Vitality Through Essential Breath Work

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  241 ratings  ·  13 reviews
A groundbreaking approach to improving the quality of your life through the most readily accessible resource: your breath. These safe and easy-to-learn techniques can also be used to treat asthma and ease stress, depression, eating disorders, insomnia, arthritis, chronic pain, and other debilitating conditions.
Published November 15th 1996 by Holt Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about The Breathing Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Breathing Book

Rae
Donna Farhi has written some of the best books on yoga out there (see the classic Yoga Mind, Body, & Spirit, and the genius Bringing Yoga to Life), and I have been looking forward to seeing what she would say about the breath when she's not designing inquiries for practitioners of asana. I think she's the best yoga voice in print - she says important things in memorable ways that have mattered immeasurably to my own exploration, and she has a notable gift for being able to narrate and illust ...more
Nikki Magennis
This book is really exceptional. Gentle, subtle, thorough and wonderfully useful. The author writes with such quiet authority it feels like a beginning 'inquiry' to even read her words. There are no quick fixes or easy answers in here, though, so don't buy it if you're not prepared to meet the author halfway and actually try doing some of the yoga-like work within.
Plenty of informative physiological information on breathing. Plenty more grounded but philosophical ideas on breathing, too. There'
Jan
Just as I commented in my review of Yoga Body Mind and Spirit, this book is largely fluff. Farhi does not present many of the key pranayama techniques, and refuses to provide the Sanskrit. Her experiential exercises are good if you are a beginner. To me, this was not a helpful book for an intermediate or advanced student, or for a teacher trainee. Pass.
Heather
This is a fantastic book for anyone who wants to use their breath in ways to reduce stress and feel better. This book is extremely accessible for all readers and will make you completely fascinated by your own breath through all the guided inquiries.
Mimi
Jun 29, 2007 Mimi rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: yogis
Shelves: forthespirit
i really like donna farhi. i had the opportunity to take a workshop with her and it really changed the way i practice yoga and move in general. one day i hope to study with her in new zealand. annie, you should read this.
Anne
Really exceptional and useful book so far - in yoga and especially in daily life. Have reduced amount of asthma med since I started reading the book, doing the exercises and incorporating these into life in general.
Tracy Weber
I only normally recommend Viniyoga books, but his one has some wonderful breath practices that I liberally steal for my teacher training program. A great text for people looking to explore the power of the breath!
Leticia
Jul 12, 2007 Leticia rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
And, you thought you knew how to breathe. This book offers additional insights and exercises to help you achieve proper yogic breathing techniques, which inevitably lead to better breathing during your daily life.
Mark
Great exercises to improve both your breathing and your awareness of your breathing. Even if you regularly practice yoga or meditation, these exercises can help give you new insight into the breath.
Clara
I read this book for my yoga teachering training course and enjoyed the author's ideas, suggestions, and exercises to help broaden my knowledge and use of the breath in yoga and in life.
Linda
Very interesting perspective on breath work. I have read other things by this author and this is my favorite one so far.
Michelle
I think I very much need this book! My breathing techniques need serious work!
Terri Kirkman
great book about using the breath to heal
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Josh Stroud
Josh Stroud marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
Martin Rognlien
Martin Rognlien marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Manuel
Manuel added it
Apr 29, 2015
Cat Bailey
Cat Bailey marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Rene Rybacek
Rene Rybacek marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
  • Relax and Renew: Restful Yoga for Stressful Times
  • Yoga The Spirit And Practice Of Moving Into Stillness
  • The Yoga Tradition: Its History, Literature, Philosophy and Practice
  • Back Care Basics: A Doctor's Gentle Yoga Program for Back and Neck Pain Relief
  • The Heart of Yoga: Developing a Personal Practice
  • Yin Yoga: Outline of a Quiet Practice
  • Anatomy of Hatha Yoga: A Manual for Students, Teachers, and Practitioners
  • The Wisdom of Yoga: A Seeker's Guide to Extraordinary Living
  • The Woman's Book of Yoga and Health: A Lifelong Guide to Wellness
  • Mudras: Yogas in Your Hands
  • Light on Prãnãyãma: The Yogic Art of Breathing
  • The Yoga of Breath: A Step-by-Step Guide to Pranayama
  • The Complete Book of Vinyasa Yoga: The Authoritative Presentation-Based on 30 Years of Direct Study Under the Legendary Yoga Teacher Krishnamacha
  • Jivamukti Yoga: Practices for Liberating Body and Soul
  • Ashtanga Yoga: The Practice Manual
  • Anatomy of Movement
  • Science of Breath
  • How to Know God: The Yoga Aphorisms of Patanjali
Yoga Mind, Body & Spirit: A Return to Wholeness Bringing Yoga to Life: The Everyday Practice of Enlightened Living Teaching Yoga: Exploring the Teacher-Student Relationship Bringing Yoga To Life Breaking Free from Sloth: A HarperOne Select