The Odyssey (All-Action Classics, #3)

The Odyssey (All-Action Classics #3)

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  65 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Welcome the next entry in the fabulously received and brilliantly created ALL-ACTION CLASSICS series. The brainchild of former Marvel Comics artist Ben Caldwell, these graphic novels are the freshest, coolest approach to the classics ever. Each one takes a famous work of fiction and translates it into a kid-friendly comic book narrative--with full-color illustrations and a...more
Published May 4th 2010 by Sterling

Nicola Mansfield
Reason for Reading: This was a Cybils '10 nominee and I hadn't read it by the time judging was due as it was not a contender by that time and I'm just now getting to it.

I really don't have a lot to say about this adaptation of Homer's Odyssey. I did not enjoy it, and in fact found it confusing and rather boring. Let me preface that statement by saying I am a great fan of Greek mythology and have read *many* retellings of The Odyssey and will continue to do so as I love the story. However, this...more
Sarah Sammis
My first introduction to The Odyssey by Homer was from excerpts we read in high school. I took a Greco-Roman classic literature course in college and got a chance to read the epic in its entirety. Thus began my love affair with Homer. I've lost track now of how many times I've re-read The Odyssey or how many retellings I've either seen or read.

I can of course name a few favorite retellings: The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson #2) by Rick Riordan, Ulysses by James Joyce and the Coen brothers' film...more
Lars Guthrie
At first, the illustrative style and the lettering of this comic book adaptation put me off. Too weird and busy. Like listening to a stranger's voice where tone and accent take some effort to get past, though, once I got into it, the 'All-Action Classic' started working for me. Eventually, I completely forgot I had thought the presentation hard to decipher, and the story began to carry me along.

Tim Mucci does a skilled turn here at collapsing many events into minimal space, touching on almost a...more
Kate
Sam
I was kind of hoping that this would be an easy way into familiarising myself with such a epic classic but although I found the story quite riveting and engrossing I did find that there wasn't a whole lot of explanation or background, which meant there were times when I was a little confused by who was who. Don't get me wrong though, this is a good adaptation from what I can see but I think it would probably help if you knew a bit about the Odyssey beforehand. The story-telling itself and the il...more
Lotuslulu
I enjoyed this well enough despite its tendency to jump around in the storyline. The illustrations are done in a very interesting style and very enjoyable to look at. Where this fails though is in it background information. Without a working knowledge of the story, a reader would have little hope of understanding all that goes on in this plot line, and those that do know what should happened will saddened by the loss of large chunks of the story. That being said, this is a quick read and would s...more
Mike
Our local library is doing an adult summer reading program. They are trying to mix things up a bit and encourage adults to try new things. As a part of that they asked adults to read a graphic novel. So I found this graphic novel adaptation of The Odessey. It was, predictably, a very easy read. Since I already know the plot of The Odessey it wasn't too hard to follow along with the graphic novel. But if that had been my first exposure to the epic I'm sure I would have been completely lost!
Reader
Meh and also phhhhhtttttttt. The art is fabulous. No one's even gonna contest that. But the storytelling? Thoughts don't flow between the panels. The result is a really herky jerky GN where half the time you can't figure out what's just happened. There are better comics on the Greek Gods out there. Heck, there are better comics on The Odyssey out this year alone! Totally meh. B
Peter
This book is amazing. I would like to say that Tim Mucci’s ability to convert such an epic text into a cogent, seamless, entertaining flow of graphic novel gold is nothing short of amazing—but to be honest, that’s what I have come to expect from him. The man is scary-good, and with Ben Caldwell’s superb art, The Odyssey deserves premium real estate on the bookshelf.
Joseph Young
A comic adaptation of one of my favourite epics. However, it cuts off too much, glosses over many of the lessons that you would learn from the original epic, particularly the major theme of life after the glory of war, and substitutes it's own less powerful parables. Artwork: not really a fan of this style nor the text style.
paula
Distracting errors, inconsistent use of a framing device, similar-looking characters, and of course, THOSE NAMES detract from a not-bad retelling of some of the classic episodes out of The Odyssey. There's no getting around the names, of course, but they should at least be spelled the same throughout the book.
Kim
If you don't already know The Odyssey, its plot and its characters, this graphic novel will completely baffle you. The action moves too quickly to make sense to those unfamiliar with Homer's epic tale. At best, this is an esoteric pleasure for those who are well-read (and recently refreshed on their Homer).
Heidi
Really love this art style, which completely made the graphic novel for me. The plot followed The Odyssey well, but was a bit rushed because of the short length. An excellent intro to this epic for kids.
Candice M (tinylibrarian)
Great book - fun tale, fun dialogue, and fantastic art! Especially recommended for fans of Disney-style art, and fans of the Percy Jackson series who want another engaging way to learn about Greek mythology.
Rayna
This is one of my favorite stories anyway (next to Gulliver's Travels and Iliad), but I ABSOLUTELY adored reading this classic story graphically. Quick read, as well, if you have to do a report.
Kristin Fletcher-spear
it's sort of annoying that the reviews bring up all the odyssey versions and not just this gn version of the classic.

reviewing for lmc.
Matthew
Mucci’s telling is a zippy condensing of The Odyssey into a graphic novel format. It primarily focuses on Odysseus’ voyage back to Penelope.
Reemawi
The graphics are fun, the story retold in a compelling, modern way with a touch of humor. What's not to love?
Andrew
A fun and accessible version of a classic story.
See my whole review here: http://noflyingnotights.com/?p=8930
Library Linsey
The story is intact (sorta) but the illustrations aren't great. I prefer the Hinds graphic novel.
Ratforcekids
If you enjoy Greek mythology and graphic novels you might want to try The Odyssey by Tim Mucci.
Peacegal
3.5 stars---the illustrations, which resemble late-era Disney cartoons--are a highlight.
David
David added it
Mar 14, 2014
Julia
Julia added it
Jan 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Tom Sawyer (All-Action Classics, #2) Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures, Vol. 3 Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures Vol. 3