Start by marking “Caring for Your Parents: The Complete AARP Guide” as Want to Read:
Caring for Your Parents: The Complete AARP Guide

Caring for Your Parents: The Complete AARP Guide

Filled with inspiring stories from real people and packed with creative ideas, this thought-provoking book shows readers how to transform caregiving into an act of spiritual growth and personal discovery.
Drawing on AARP's deep wellspring of expertise in the topic, AARP's "Caring for Your Parents explains how to help your elderly parents improve their lives-with a differen
Published April 28th 2006 by Sterling (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Caring for Your Parents, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Caring for Your Parents

Mike
Oct 28, 2011 Mike rated it really liked it
This is the best of the three books on eldercare that I read. It is very much focused on children taking care of parents (as opposed to finding assisted living or nursing home arrangements, although those subjects are covered). This book has more practical information than the other books, and fewer anecdotal stories, although there are plenty of these as well. The book is quite honest in describing what dying is like, which is a little scary, since, as Adam said, it is frequently painful and ...more
Artnoose Noose
Sep 03, 2012 Artnoose Noose rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone with aging parents
My sister and I both read this book so that we'd be more or less on the same page with the situation of our aging parents. I found it to be very thoughtful and informative, helping with things like how to approach "end of life" conversations, basic tips on dealing with dementia, and checklists to determine what point your parents are at. The issue of sibling relationships was a much larger part of the book than I expected, which makes sense because after your parents pass away, your siblings are ...more
Bill Sleeman
Oct 09, 2014 Bill Sleeman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Very good. Now that my wife and I have joined the sandwich generation I appreciate the many helpful comments and words of wisdom here. The copy I read came from a local library but I have ordered two copies (one for myself; one for a family member) it is that useful. What I liked about this book most was that it offered ideas and things to consider not only about my family but also ideas on how to better prepare for my (our) own future.

Elizabeth
Apr 28, 2009 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
This is a terrific primer addressing the issues of families with older parents. I was encouraged to read scenarios that are familiar to me--that they are perfectly normal and natural. The book was practical but also hopeful. I appreciated the tips about being sensitive and patient.
Cymiki
Mar 30, 2009 Cymiki rated it really liked it
Thumbed through this and found the checklists in the back of the book very useful and handy for when the time may or may not come to handle next stage issues in my parents' lives. Provides good guides to useful websites, too.
Robin A.
Mar 28, 2015 Robin A. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good, basic guide to important information, and draft documents anyone concerned with caring for aging parents or other loved-ones should know. It is dated, printed in 2008. It provides a nice starting point, or supplemental information, for those seeking guidance.
Eileen
Eileen rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2014
Donnagha Dulchaointigh
Donnagha Dulchaointigh rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2013
Julia
Julia rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2014
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2010
Yvonne Rittenhouse
Yvonne Rittenhouse rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2015
Diana Rhee
Diana Rhee rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2014
David
David rated it liked it
Jun 02, 2012
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2015
Christian Golden
Christian Golden rated it it was amazing
Sep 04, 2013
Amber
Amber rated it liked it
Oct 13, 2009
Nancy Leist
Nancy Leist rated it liked it
May 16, 2014
Wiserblond
Wiserblond rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2008
Mike Rowan
Mike Rowan rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2014
Robyn
Jul 21, 2013 Robyn rated it really liked it
Good overview with lots of resources.
Dori
Dori rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2015
Lizzy
Lizzy rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2008
Jana Vater
Jana Vater rated it liked it
Aug 27, 2014
Steven Spector
Sep 04, 2013 Steven Spector rated it really liked it
Excellent and helpful. Trust me!
Ron Mellott
Ron Mellott rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2015
Niki
Niki rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2011
Tena
Tena rated it really liked it
May 28, 2014
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2016
Toni
Toni rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2011
Nancy
Nancy rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2009