Start by marking “Caring for Your Parents: The Complete AARP Guide” as Want to Read:
Caring for Your Parents: The Complete AARP Guide

Caring for Your Parents: The Complete AARP Guide

Filled with inspiring stories from real people and packed with creative ideas, this thought-provoking book shows readers how to transform caregiving into an act of spiritual growth and personal discovery.
Drawing on AARP's deep wellspring of expertise in the topic, AARP's "Caring for Your Parents explains how to help your elderly parents improve their lives-with a differen
Published April 28th 2006 by Sterling (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Caring for Your Parents, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Caring for Your Parents

Bill Sleeman
Oct 09, 2014 Bill Sleeman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Very good. Now that my wife and I have joined the sandwich generation I appreciate the many helpful comments and words of wisdom here. The copy I read came from a local library but I have ordered two copies (one for myself; one for a family member) it is that useful. What I liked about this book most was that it offered ideas and things to consider not only about my family but also ideas on how to better prepare for my (our) own future.

Mike
Oct 28, 2011 Mike rated it really liked it
This is the best of the three books on eldercare that I read. It is very much focused on children taking care of parents (as opposed to finding assisted living or nursing home arrangements, although those subjects are covered). This book has more practical information than the other books, and fewer anecdotal stories, although there are plenty of these as well. The book is quite honest in describing what dying is like, which is a little scary, since, as Adam said, it is frequently painful and mi ...more
Artnoose Noose
Sep 03, 2012 Artnoose Noose rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone with aging parents
My sister and I both read this book so that we'd be more or less on the same page with the situation of our aging parents. I found it to be very thoughtful and informative, helping with things like how to approach "end of life" conversations, basic tips on dealing with dementia, and checklists to determine what point your parents are at. The issue of sibling relationships was a much larger part of the book than I expected, which makes sense because after your parents pass away, your siblings are ...more
Elizabeth
Apr 28, 2009 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
This is a terrific primer addressing the issues of families with older parents. I was encouraged to read scenarios that are familiar to me--that they are perfectly normal and natural. The book was practical but also hopeful. I appreciated the tips about being sensitive and patient.
Robin A.
Mar 28, 2015 Robin A. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good, basic guide to important information, and draft documents anyone concerned with caring for aging parents or other loved-ones should know. It is dated, printed in 2008. It provides a nice starting point, or supplemental information, for those seeking guidance.
Cymiki
Aug 21, 2016 Cymiki rated it really liked it
Thumbed through this and found the checklists in the back of the book very useful and handy for when the time may or may not come to handle next stage issues in my parents' lives. Provides good guides to useful websites, too.
Robyn
Jul 21, 2013 Robyn rated it really liked it
Good overview with lots of resources.
Steven Spector
Sep 04, 2013 Steven Spector rated it really liked it
Excellent and helpful. Trust me!
Jacob Oommen
Jacob Oommen marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2016
Lisa
Lisa added it
Apr 08, 2016
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2016
Francesca
Francesca marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
Peter Sidell
Peter Sidell rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2015
Snickerdoodle
Snickerdoodle marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Valerie  L. Main
Valerie L. Main marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Tim Roberts
Tim Roberts marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Stormy
Stormy marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
Yvonne Rittenhouse
Yvonne Rittenhouse rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2015
Dori
Dori rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2015
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2015
Ron Mellott
Ron Mellott rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2015
Nan
Nan marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Mcl
Mcl rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2014
Kristen Davis
Kristen Davis marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Diana Rhee
Diana Rhee rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2014
Jana Vater
Jana Vater rated it liked it
Aug 27, 2014