Start by marking “Saying Goodbye to Lulu” as Want to Read:
Saying Goodbye to Lulu

Saying Goodbye to Lulu

A young girl and her lovable dog, Lulu, are the best of friends and do everything together. As Lulu ages and starts to slow down the girl shows her compassion by making Lulu comfortable in her bed and helping to feed her. When Lulu dies the caring, young girl must comes to terms with her loss and find a way to say goodbye. This lyrical and touching story will tug at the he ...more
Published June 1st 2004 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine PatersonCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteA Little Princess by Frances Hodgson BurnettLove You Forever by Robert MunschIn Memory of Dad by Maranda Russell
Best Children's Books About Death
29th out of 106 books — 52 voters
Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson RawlsOld Yeller by Fred GipsonMarley and Me by John GroganThe Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth SteinThe Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon
The dog dies...a cautionary list.
184th out of 211 books — 177 voters

More lists with this book...

Randie D. Camp, M.S.
A young girl's dog, Lulu, is sick and dies. She tries to say goodbye but finds that she can only cry. Her parents are supportive and they plant a tree in their yard where Lulu is buried so they can still think of her.

The illustrations capture the change in Lulu and the colors are soft and comforting. I most appreciated the Author's Note at the end. Demas shares that it is hard to talk about death with children and she hopes this book can be used to open up that discussion. She also shares that
Jan 25, 2012 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Brought tears to my eyes. Thus is a story that anyone with a per can relate to. We all know our pets will get older but nobody likes to thinly if what it would be like without them.
Aaron Milavec
Jun 27, 2015 Aaron Milavec rated it it was amazing

As a grandfather of Emma (3 yrs old), I was preparing myself for three days of visitation by going to our public library. Among the four books chosen quickly was this superb story, "Saying Goodbye to Lulu."

With Emma in my lap, I began showing the pictures and reading the story by substituting "Duncan" for "Lulu" since this is the name of Emma's dog.

Right off I detected the theme: "Duncan couldn't climb the stairs . . . didn't hear [well]. . . couldn't see well." Duncan was getting old (something
Chad VanDosen
Sep 12, 2016 Chad VanDosen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
What an amazing story. Just like the girl in the book, I grew up with a dog since I was 6 months old until I was 16 years old. She died and all I could do was cry. This book connected to me and I'm sure it will connect to students as well. Losing someone/something you love is tough, but there is always light at the end of the tunnel. Students would really connect to this story if they have pets and even if they don't, because everyone experiences loss.
Samantha Zapata
Sep 08, 2016 Samantha Zapata rated it it was amazing
Fair warning! If you have a class of emotional kids or if you are emotional yourself. I would encourage reading this story before you sob unpleasantly in front of little ones. This story was so happy and sad at the same time. I teared a little while reading it, but it could be from a recent even in my family. The book teaches you that a owner and their dog will always have the strongest bond even when you have to say goodbye.
Abby Owens
Jan 30, 2016 Abby Owens rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
This book hit me hard but I think that it does a great job talking about grief. It is important to talk to children about loss and grief because it is something that every person is going to face whether it is the loss of a loved one or the loss of a pet. The author did such a good job of showing the cycle of life and how the beginning and ending are very similar so that it shows closure. This would be a great way to open up a talk about grief to a student. I thought that it was beautifully writ ...more
Jazzmarie Vedrine
This is a beautiful story to share with any child who has experienced a loss. It is about a young girl and her lovable and energetic dog, named Lulu. The two of them love to play ball, going walking in the streams and explore what is outside together. Lulu was a faithful dog who would meet her at the bus stop every day and walk alongside of her, until Lulu started slowing down and getting old. The young girl wants the same Lulu she had always remembered because she was not ready to say g
Linda Lipko
Jan 18, 2014 Linda Lipko rated it it was amazing
The power of simple words formed together in a chain of beauty resonates in the heart.

This is a story of a little girl who loves her elderly dog Lulu. From the beginning of their lives, they bonded.

Now as Lulu ages, she becomes puppy like and sleeps most of the day, has accidents on the floor and, stumbling to walk, her legs wobble.

I very much liked how the author portrayed the circle of life and death and then life renewed again.

When it was time, another puppy became a part of the family. The
Oct 01, 2014 Sandie rated it really liked it
This was a great book explaining the loss of a pet and grieving for it. I checked this out for my daughter as we recently lost our cat.

This book actually started off with the dog already old and as we read on we learn about the younger years and how close the girl was. I have noticed in this book as well as a few others we have recently read that its customary it seems to plant something over the pet when you bury it. I was happy to see that as we buried our cat earlier in the spring and put tu
Brittany Newton
Sep 15, 2013 Brittany Newton rated it it was amazing
Shelves: libs-642
I chose this book for my picture book soak project. I originally chose this book because there is a dog on the front and I love dogs. This story is sad, but very good. It is about a young girl and her dog Lulu, who is an old dog. She talks about how she pets her dog and how she wishes that she were young again so she could play. Lulu ends up passing away and the girl was unable to say goodbye. The girl’s parents suggest getting another dog but the girl only wants her Lulu back. Eventually, she g ...more
Dione Basseri
Dec 22, 2015 Dione Basseri rated it it was amazing
If you're the parent of a kid AND a dog, you're not going to get through this without crying. You won't. 100% true fact, I would check this out from the library when I was having depressive episodes and could not cry, despite needing it badly, and EVERY TIME, it got me sobbing. It's SAD.

But it's also hopeful. We see the young girl's life with Lulu, and their bond, but also Lulu's aging and the acceptance of Lulu's death. It's hard, at parts, but ends in an uplifting manner.

If you'd like a simila
Katie Foster
Feb 18, 2014 Katie Foster rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
This is a perfect book to share with kids, especially if they have lost a pet before. I like that it focuses on remembering the good times that the main character had with Lulu before she got old and sick. And the author writes about how the main character cried when Lulu died, which is important because kids will know it's okay to cry. I also like how at the end we found out how the main character chose to remember Lulu, and how it took awhile before she felt ready to get a new puppy. This is a ...more
A young girl and her aging dog star in this touching story. Families with aging pets will recognize Lulu, who has trouble getting up, climbing stairs and sleeps all day. Comparisons are made to acting as she did as a puppy when she could't do thing by herself. She dies peacefully at home and the sadness of the family is shared. They plant a tree where the dog is buried in the back yard. Eventually they are ready for a new puppy. This would be a very good bibliotherapy choice for children who hav ...more
Jenilyn Willis
Oh my gosh, this book was so sad! It almost made me cry, and I think it would have the same effect on children because it's something they can relate to and probably have to deal with someday. It has a good ending though and a good message to it; death is a part of life, and while it's sad, it's important not to dwell on it and try to move on, even though you'll never forget that person or animal that passed away. While I do think it's sad, it's still good to read books like this to children bec ...more
Pamela (slytherpuff)
See more of my reviews at Bettering Me Up.

This book really helped my husband and me to explain the death of our dog to our two young kids. We were at a complete loss as to how to explain the concept of death without scaring (or scarring!) them.

It's a sad book, so don't be surprised if you end up crying. I sobbed big ugly tears.

My only problem with the book is when they get a new dog a few months later. Not because it's a bad decision, but because my kids have been hounding (no pun intended) us f
Hannah Guerra
Oct 16, 2013 Hannah Guerra rated it liked it
Shelves: eng-261
This picture book falls into the genre of contemporary realistic fiction. It follows a young girl as she watches her dog, Lulu, get sick and die. It tells about how the girl and her parents buried Lulu in the yard and planted a tree by her grave. The story ends with the girl getting a new puppy. She acknowledges that this puppy would be very different from Lulu, but that she would love it anyways. This sweet book is good for grades Pre-School-1st. It has themes of loss and learning to move on.
Ashley Allen
This would be a great book to use when talking to your students about the grieving process. The little girl does through all the stages of the grieving process and it is great to look at it in a childs point of view. Its also a great book to focus on how the author zooms in on small details throughout the book, and would be great to start helping the children focusing on their writing and paying attention to details.
Mona Al-kazemi
Nov 01, 2012 Mona Al-kazemi rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent picture-book for anyone who has lost a pet. Not only children but adults too!

I'm still grieving over the loss of Cleo, my beautiful cat, who passed away on Sep 20, 2012, two weeks short of her ninth birthday (so soon). Saying Goodbye to Lulu reminded me that life goes on after the grieving, but also that it is okay to grieve too.

Angelica Castillo
May 23, 2016 Angelica Castillo rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful story, it actually hit's home. This book is a Realistic Fiction, story. It is about a little girl and her faithful companion, named Lulu. The little girl describes how throughout the years, she enjoyed the company of her dog and the heartbreaking truth about losing a member of the family (Lulu).
Jan 20, 2011 Nikki rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-lit
I liked this much better than Goodbye Mousie. The story follows the little girl as her dog is getting old and then dies. A season passes and then she's able to move on and get a new dog. Love the happy ending!!!! Great book for a child dealing with pet loss. Need to make a mental note on this one for my kids one day.
This is an incredibly sad book. It's is so hard to lose an animal because for most people they are like a family member. I think this would be a great book to read to any child who is experiencing a loss. It teaches them that it is a part of life, and things should get better. It was excited when the little girl got a new puppy!
Kandice Buck
Nov 02, 2015 Kandice Buck rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animals
This book is about a little girl who loves her dog Lulu. Lulu gets older and the little girl has to learn about coping with the death of her first and favorite dog. This is a great book to read to children because it has a great way of teaching about how to cope the hurt of loosing an animal that feels like family.
Christie Wild
Oct 04, 2010 Christie Wild rated it really liked it
Summ: A girl grieves over her dog, Lulu's death, but eventurally moves on. She is sad and the grief is handled nicely. Over time, she DOES want another dog. The illustrations are handled superbly, especially the page when they are looking at Lulu's body. A definite read to help a child overcome loss.
Jul 27, 2008 jesse rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone, & esp. all of us who have loved dearly and suffered the hard loss of a pet from our families
I appreciate that this picture book offers a story of the grieving process that a child (and any of us) needs to go through for a very special kind of companion whose life cycle doesn't match our own. Impressive collaboration of text and illustration delivers a narrative that is tender and true. The way the artist captures the characters' expressions is especially fabulous. This one gets me...
Feb 17, 2016 Barbara rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Lulu has grown old and her little owner realizes she will die soon. This shows the grieving process from before death to many months later. This is a lovely and touching story of a pet who is a real part of the family. Great for ages 3 and up.
Oct 15, 2010 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
What a wonderful way to explain ones favorite pet getting old and dying. The artwork is wonderful, capturing the look of a dog in all phases of life. This is a definite book for anyone needing to explain to a child the death of a pet.
Jul 06, 2007 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Madeline
This is a great book for children that are dealing with the death of a pet and maybe even the death of a family member, since the main character goes through the stages of accepting death and mourning. Great illustrations that have realism but are still cute. I cried!
Traci Bold
Jun 15, 2016 Traci Bold rated it it was amazing
A real tear jerker to those who have lost a beloved pet and long to have them back. An excellent picture book on how grief affects children when their pet dies.

Written by Corinne Demas, illustrated by Ard Hoyt. Published by Little, Brown & Company.

#PB #dogs #puppy #grief #death #hope
Jodi Santora
Jan 28, 2012 Jodi Santora rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children, death
A great book for children going through the loss of a pet. A little girl recounts the story of her dog getting old, and eventually passing away. She grieves and later gets a new dog- which she knows could never replace her Lulu.
May 09, 2012 Jenna rated it liked it
This book tore my heart up, but is definitely necessary for families with pets to have. This book puts the thought of losing a pet into realistic perspective. I would recommend this for families going through this difficult stage.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • I Miss You: a First Look at Death (First Look at Books (Paperback))
  • The Tenth Good Thing About Barney
  • Boundless Grace
  • Little Quack's New Friend
  • When a Pet Dies
  • Carl's Birthday
Corinne Demas is Professor of English at Mount Holyoke College and a fiction editor of the Massachusetts Review. She has a Ph.D. in English and Comparative Literature from Columbia University.

She is the award-winning author of thirty books, including five novels, two collections of short stories, a memoir, and numerous books for children.

More about Corinne Demas...