Start by marking “The Little Auto (Mr. Small, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Little Auto (Mr. Small, #1)

The Little Auto (Mr. Small #1)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  64 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Written by one of the most influential writers/artists of the 20th century, "The Little Auto" is now being reissued. Mr. Small has a shiny red auto, but he runs into trouble when it rains and he gets a flat tire. Then he is able to fix the tire, the sun comes out, and Mr. Small drives his little auto back into the garage. Full color.
Published March 27th 2001 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1934)

To ask other readers questions about The Little Auto, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Little Auto

Kathryn
This picture book from the 1930s is absolutely charming in is vintage illustrations yet I think it would also appeal to children today who are interested in cars and/or the nuances of how things go and the activities that adults do.

Mr. Small owns a little red auto. One day, he decides to take it for a drive. This is the story of that drive, and all the things he does (like pump the tires and fill the radiator with water, drive through town, stop at stop lights, drive up a hill and down a hill, e
Amy
My nephew adored this book! His little eyes lit up as soon as he realized that this was a pleasing story about a diminutive man and his diminutive car. He wondered aloud where Mr. Small was going in his car, and he was fascinated by the convertible nature of the vehicle. "Convertible" was a new word for him today because of this book, and he even used it in conversation with his mother at dinner! Sweet, lovely book, with a very nostalgic quality about it.
Terri
Cute. We got an older edition of this book out of the library. The 1930s illustrations are appealing.
Dolly
Nov 18, 2013 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their younger children
This is the first book in the Mr. Small series by Lois Lenski. I'd never heard of this series before, but the fact that it was written long before my father and mother were born was fascinating to me.

The book has a simple narrative that feels like a primer or early reader, and the words and pictures are quite old fashioned. I had to explain some of the narrative, since cars have changed dramatically in the last eighty years.

The book is charming, but not a particular favorite. We enjoyed readin
Londa
Really adorable.

Love the simple drawings and we (8 yr old & I) both laughed at Mr. Small's facial expressions at times. He seemed irritated anytime he had to slow down and we both thought he would love to run over something. Although it is better suited for the 4 and under crowd, my son still managed to learn a thing or two. The policeman having to change the light by hand for one.

I would gladly buy this for my younger nieces or nephew, but I looked and it doesn't seem to be in print anymo
Jenny
A simple, old fashioned book about Mr. Small and how he takes care of his little red auto. My five year old loved this story. It seems very nostalgic, like a story my grandma read to me when I was a little. I am uncertain whether she read this actual book or just a similar story, but it still brought back pleasant memories.
Shannon
Cute, simple illustrations. Mr Small is driving his auto through town (in the early years of automobiles). I guess it's cute. I have no strong feelings about it.
Marlies
I was very glad to see the Little books come back into print a few years back. I loved them as a child and now read them with Sean.
Polly
Nothing brilliant, but the vintage illustrations are charming.
Josh
Mr. Small's automobile is adorable. Look. He barely fits in it.
Laura Perenic
Laura Perenic marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Fjóla
Fjóla added it
Mar 24, 2015
Julie A
Julie A marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
欣 江
欣 江 marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
R.
R. added it
Nov 28, 2014
R.
R. added it
Nov 28, 2014
Bonnie
Bonnie marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Many of Lenski's books can be collated into 'series' - but since they don't have to be read in order, you may be better off just looking for more information here: http://library.illinoisstate.edu/uniq...

Probably her most famous set is the following:
American Regional Series

Beginning with Bayou Suzette in 1943, Lois Lenski began writing a series of books whic
More about Lois Lenski...

Mr. Small (9 books)
  • The Little Sailboat (Mr. Small, #2)
  • The Little Airplane (Mr. Small, #3)
  • The Little Train (Mr. Small, #4)
  • The Little Farm (Mr. Small, #5)
  • The Little Fire Engine
  • Cowboy Small
  • Papa Small (Mr. Small, #8)
  • Policeman Small (Mr. Small, #10)
Strawberry Girl Indian Captive: The Story of Mary Jemison Cotton In My Sack Prairie School Shoo Fly Girl