Start by marking “Cowboy Small” as Want to Read:
Cowboy Small

Cowboy Small (Mr. Small #7)

Published November 27th 2001 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1949)

To ask other readers questions about Cowboy Small, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cowboy Small

Sylvester
Mar 01, 2013 Sylvester rated it really liked it
4* art
4* story

Wonderful fun, and Lenski uses the proper words for things (bridle, corral, etc.) instead of dumbing down. Squirt will like this even more as time goes on, I think.
Marina
Sep 21, 2011 Marina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
My kids are huge fans of the Mr Small books:). It really doesn't get much better for them than to have a character named Cowboy Small!
Amy
Jun 01, 2012 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, reviewed
Ah, little boys and cowboy stories... My nephew loved this book about Cowboy Small, and he loved hearing about all of Cowboy Small's adventures. I did have to chuckle a little, though, when on one page Cowboy Small slept under the stars in his bedroll, and on another page he slept in a bunkhouse. When my nephew saw him sleeping in the bunkhouse, he said with a tone of derision in his voice, "Huh. Well last night he slept outside." Apparently cowboys are supposed to forgo comfort. :-)
Jeremiah
Apr 30, 2008 Jeremiah rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books
I became interested in these books after watching too many Lone Ranger & Tonto reruns on television when I was about very young. The stories are simple, Small and his horse Cactus on some adventure on the range or the farm. Each is sweet, innocent and teach respect, manners and the value of simple things.
Audrey Dailey
Mar 16, 2013 Audrey Dailey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cora-books
This book has a neigh-neigh so it's a big hit.
Vanna Bells
May 24, 2017 Vanna Bells rated it liked it
Read this book because the author's foundation has a grant for bookmobiles for children.
Valerie
Oct 24, 2009 Valerie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kayley, catalog
Summary: Cowboy Small takes good care of his horse, Cactus. In return, Cactus helps Cowboy Small get work done on the range. Together they round up cattle for branding and live the good life. At night, Cowboy Small eats at the chuck wagon, sings with his friends, and sleeps under the stars. I read the Spanish version of this book, entitled "Vaquerno Pequeno," which had a side-by-side Spanish and English text.

Potential Audience (reading level): Emergent/Early Reader

Genre: Bi-lingual fiction book
Liane Marie
Oct 06, 2014 Liane Marie rated it it was amazing

Category: Boardbook

Age: 0-3+ years

Synopsis: A sweet little book detailing a day in the life on a ranch for Cowboy Small and his horse, Cactus.

Bilingual benefit: With old-timey charm and illustrations, this book is a great source of Americana for a child living abroad. The text also features onomatopoeia (the horse goes “cloppety clop”), expressions that are uniquely American (“giddyup!” and “yip-pee!”), and unusual words that will build a child’s English vocabulary (“bunkhouse” and “range”). In
Judy
Feb 04, 2017 Judy rated it really liked it
Shelves: pic-books
I wonder how my much younger self would have rated this story. I think we would have used it as inspiration for our own play.
Peacegal
Nov 28, 2011 Peacegal rated it did not like it
1.5 stars--The illustrations have a comfy, retro quality and Cowboy Small models good care-taking of his horse. However, I can't get too excited about a children's book that presents the roping and hot-iron branding of calves as a good thing. I know I wouldn't have liked that content as a child.
Alxandra
Mar 02, 2013 Alxandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this bilingual (Spanish-English) picture book. The illustrations help with understanding the text and they are beautifully quaint.

I obtained this book at my library, and had initially ignored it because it was old, but it is a very enjoyable book even though it was worn.
Lizzie
Oct 14, 2010 Lizzie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: mommies
Shelves: child-youth
"and that's all for cowboy small!" Oh my GOODness, I have such great memories of reading this little gem to my kids. It was one of our favorite stories when they were very young. Wonderful clear illustrations. Thank you Lois Lenski, where ever you are. =)
Babette Reeves
Oct 02, 2008 Babette Reeves rated it really liked it
My oldest loved these books (there's a whole series). They are from the 40's so they show only men, but children just love them. Most reprints I have found are in board book format.

Recommended ages: birth through age 3
Christy
Oct 27, 2013 Christy rated it it was amazing
Library
Aug 01, 2015 Library rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
The inside covers feature pictures of a cowboy and his horse filled with vocabulary surrounding them. The story tells the long day of a cowboy filled with hard work and adventure. Though a small book, it has many pages allowing the text to be spread out to just 1-2 sentences per page.
Brent
May 26, 2012 Brent rated it really liked it
Still our favorite Lenski.
"Giddyap, Cactus."
Hayley
Oct 02, 2007 Hayley rated it it was amazing
Wonderful story for children. This story makes me want to be a cowboy. I love all the details and the glossary too.
Betsy
Apr 18, 2012 Betsy rated it really liked it
My kids LOVE the "Small" books. We found a copy of this one in our local library that was translated into Spanish and was bilingual--from the '60's!! How progressive...
Klgrissom
Oct 20, 2011 Klgrissom rated it really liked it
Fun book! Also teaches the correct language of 'cowboy' things. My children love this, and have gotten all phrases they say about horses from this book. It is cute!
Cheryl
Apr 15, 2013 Cheryl rated it really liked it
Classic simple clear introduction to the world of being a cowboy. Great for storytime.
Elizabeth
Aug 25, 2011 Elizabeth rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
We love the Mr. Small books!
The Bougie Twins
Jan 11, 2015 The Bougie Twins rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015
Michele bookloverforever
Nov 17, 2010 Michele bookloverforever rated it liked it
Recommended to Michele by: random choice
Shelves: children-s
I adored all this series...kept me entertained all during 2nd & 3rd grade. She was one of my "go to" authors at the time. If it was by Lois Lenski, I read it and enjoyed it.
Cheryl Munoz
Jun 04, 2008 Cheryl Munoz rated it it was amazing
This is my 10 month-old's favorite kids book. There are so many different ways to read it! We use sounds effects and sing the whole "Home, home on the range" song. It's a classic.
smoreads
Jul 11, 2011 smoreads rated it really liked it
cute & retro! a small (heh) downside is that it is actually pint-sized; not the best quality when reading it to a small crowd.
Janna C
Janna C rated it liked it
Feb 11, 2015
Beverly
Beverly rated it liked it
Nov 26, 2014
Sally Mckay
Sally Mckay rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2015
Wendy
Wendy rated it it was amazing
Nov 29, 2014
Joshua
Joshua rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2017
  • Boats
  • This Little Chick
  • Down by the Bay
  • Make Way for Ducklings, One Morning in Maine, Lentil
  • All Fall Down
  • Spring is Here
  • Mary had a little lamb
  • Max's Chocolate Chicken
  • Cranberry Thanksgiving
  • Duck & Goose, How Are You Feeling?
  • underGROUND
  • Bear in a Square
  • Ask Mr. Bear
  • One Duck Stuck
  • My Very First Book of Colors
  • The Busy Little Squirrel
  • Penguin Says "Please"
  • Haiku Baby

Many of Lenski's books can be collated into 'series' - but since they don't have to be read in order, you may be better off just looking for more information here: http://library.illinoisstate.edu/uniq...

Probably her most famous set is the following:
American Regional Series

Beginning with Bayou Suzette in 1943, Lois Lenski began writing a series of books whic
More about Lois Lenski...

Mr. Small (9 books)
  • The Little Auto (Mr. Small, #1)
  • The Little Sailboat (Mr. Small, #2)
  • The Little Airplane (Mr. Small, #3)
  • The Little Train (Mr. Small, #4)
  • The Little Farm (Mr. Small, #5)
  • The Little Fire Engine
  • Papa Small (Mr. Small, #8)
  • Policeman Small (Mr. Small, #10)