Cowboy Small

Cowboy Small (Mr. Small #7)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  158 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Cowboy Small takes good care of his horse, Cactus. In return, Cactus helps Cowboy Small get work done on the range. Together they round up cattle for branding and live the good life. Illustrations.
Published November 27th 2001 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1949)

To ask other readers questions about Cowboy Small, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cowboy Small

The Girl Who Loved Wild Horses by Paul GobleRobert the Rose Horse by Joan HeilbronerClip-Clop by Nicola SmeeLeonardo's Horse by Jean FritzCowgirl Kate and Cocoa by Erica Silverman
Picture Books About Horses
10th out of 50 books — 21 voters
The Case of the Wayward Fae ~ A Chronicle of Mister Marmee by H.L.  StephensSpirit by Kathleen DueySea Star by Marguerite HenryThunder's Courage by Felicity BrownMy Pony by Susan Jeffers
Books For Horse Crazy Girls
29th out of 70 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

Sylvester
4* art
4* story

Wonderful fun, and Lenski uses the proper words for things (bridle, corral, etc.) instead of dumbing down. Squirt will like this even more as time goes on, I think.
Amy
Ah, little boys and cowboy stories... My nephew loved this book about Cowboy Small, and he loved hearing about all of Cowboy Small's adventures. I did have to chuckle a little, though, when on one page Cowboy Small slept under the stars in his bedroll, and on another page he slept in a bunkhouse. When my nephew saw him sleeping in the bunkhouse, he said with a tone of derision in his voice, "Huh. Well last night he slept outside." Apparently cowboys are supposed to forgo comfort. :-)
Jeremiah
I became interested in these books after watching too many Lone Ranger & Tonto reruns on television when I was about very young. The stories are simple, Small and his horse Cactus on some adventure on the range or the farm. Each is sweet, innocent and teach respect, manners and the value of simple things.
Marina
My kids are huge fans of the Mr Small books:). It really doesn't get much better for them than to have a character named Cowboy Small!
Audrey Dailey
This book has a neigh-neigh so it's a big hit.
Valerie
Summary: Cowboy Small takes good care of his horse, Cactus. In return, Cactus helps Cowboy Small get work done on the range. Together they round up cattle for branding and live the good life. At night, Cowboy Small eats at the chuck wagon, sings with his friends, and sleeps under the stars. I read the Spanish version of this book, entitled "Vaquerno Pequeno," which had a side-by-side Spanish and English text.

Potential Audience (reading level): Emergent/Early Reader

Genre: Bi-lingual fiction book...more
Alxandra
I really enjoyed this bilingual (Spanish-English) picture book. The illustrations help with understanding the text and they are beautifully quaint.

I obtained this book at my library, and had initially ignored it because it was old, but it is a very enjoyable book even though it was worn.
Peacegal
1.5 stars--The illustrations have a comfy, retro quality and Cowboy Small models good care-taking of his horse. However, I can't get too excited about a children's book that presents the roping and hot-iron branding of calves as a good thing. I know I wouldn't have liked that content as a child.
Christy
Cooee
Oct 14, 2010 Cooee rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: mommies
Shelves: child-youth
"and that's all for cowboy small!" Oh my GOODness, I have such great memories of reading this little gem to my kids. It was one of our favorite stories when they were very young. Wonderful clear illustrations. Thank you Lois Lenski, where ever you are. =)
Babette Reeves
My oldest loved these books (there's a whole series). They are from the 40's so they show only men, but children just love them. Most reprints I have found are in board book format.

Recommended ages: birth through age 3
Cheryl Munoz
This is my 10 month-old's favorite kids book. There are so many different ways to read it! We use sounds effects and sing the whole "Home, home on the range" song. It's a classic.
Michele bookloverforever
Nov 17, 2010 Michele bookloverforever rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Michele by: random choice
Shelves: children-s
I adored all this series...kept me entertained all during 2nd & 3rd grade. She was one of my "go to" authors at the time. If it was by Lois Lenski, I read it and enjoyed it.
Klgrissom
Fun book! Also teaches the correct language of 'cowboy' things. My children love this, and have gotten all phrases they say about horses from this book. It is cute!
Betsy
My kids LOVE the "Small" books. We found a copy of this one in our local library that was translated into Spanish and was bilingual--from the '60's!! How progressive...
smoreads
cute & retro! a small (heh) downside is that it is actually pint-sized; not the best quality when reading it to a small crowd.
Hayley
Wonderful story for children. This story makes me want to be a cowboy. I love all the details and the glossary too.
Melissa Anderson
We read this book four times today, and Natalie continued reading it in bed....adorable!
Cheryl
Classic simple clear introduction to the world of being a cowboy. Great for storytime.
Brent
Still our favorite Lenski.
"Giddyap, Cactus."
Elizabeth
We love the Mr. Small books!

Many of Lenski's books can be collated into 'series' - but since they don't have to be read in order, you may be better off just looking for more information here: http://library.illinoisstate.edu/uniq...

Probably her most famous set is the following:
American Regional Series

Beginning with Bayou Suzette in 1943, Lois Lenski began writing a series of books whic...more
More about Lois Lenski...
Strawberry Girl Indian Captive: The Story of Mary Jemison Cotton In My Sack Prairie School Shoo Fly Girl