Start by marking “A Field Guide to Irish Fairies” as Want to Read:
A Field Guide to Irish Fairies

A Field Guide to Irish Fairies

What is your best defense against a phosphorescent land sheerie? Can you really find contentment with a wealthy merrow wife? The answers are disclosed at last in A Field Guide to Irish Fairies, the first and only such guide available. Expertly researched and compiled by an authority on the subject, with detailed illustrations to help wayfarers identify the 13 major varieti ...more
Published October 1st 1998 by Chronicle Books (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about A Field Guide to Irish Fairies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Field Guide to Irish Fairies

The Zombie Survival Guide by Max BrooksGnomes by Rien PoortvlietImaginary Magnitude by Stanisław LemThe Tough Guide to Fantasyland by Diana Wynne JonesNazi Literature in the Americas by Roberto Bolaño
Fictional Nonfiction
30th out of 46 books — 42 voters
The Glass Harmonica by Barbara Ninde ByfieldCodex Seraphinianus by Luigi SerafiniHouse of Leaves by Mark Z. DanielewskiThe Voynich Manuscript by UnknownGrimorium Verum by Joseph H. Peterson
Tomes of Eldritch Lore
59th out of 76 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Miriam
Jul 23, 2015 Miriam rated it liked it
A cute little book, but it won't offer much to anyone who has already read more substantial work such as Faeries.
Gemma Kiernan
Jul 31, 2016 Gemma Kiernan rated it it was ok
Ha ha ha. This was silly funny and quite enjoyable but nothing in here that hasn't been nicked from WB Yeats and others. Pleasant enough diversion but not to be taken seriously.
The Elves
Nov 29, 2014 The Elves rated it really liked it
This is a sweet little book, although its denizen are not so sweet, with nice illustrations, rather like Teresa Moorey’s the Fairy Bible, only much smaller, and yet, it has a few variations of faerie life that are not included in that tome. We like it and are glad to have it in our collection of Faerie lore books.

The Silver Elves,
authors of The Elven Tree of Life Eternal: A Magical Quest for One's True S'Elf
Amanda
May 28, 2013 Amanda rated it really liked it
fun and enlightening read. Yes its not an extensive guide but gives great insight on lore, myths, and history. Pictures were very detailed and cute but there weren't very many. I think the only thing I didn't like were the very small text.
Lizzi Crystal
Dec 21, 2007 Lizzi Crystal rated it it was amazing
Ireland AND fairies?? This makes it one of my favorite books of all time. If you have an interest in either subject (especially both combined!) you won't want to miss reading it! :-)
Tom
Aug 15, 2009 Tom rated it liked it
I got this book as a souvenir during a vacation in Dublin. A simple guide to Irish fairy folklore, its good for what it is.
Rosalie
Jul 30, 2012 Rosalie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People that would enjoy fairies with a touch of creepy
Recommended to Rosalie by: I got it for my birthday!
My gosh, it creeped me out, but, it creeped me out AND it gave me USEFUL information! So, I loved it of course!
Maurean
May 06, 2008 Maurean rated it really liked it
Shelves: reference
I luv this little book! It is what it is - a guide to the habits and habitats of various types of fae.

Shirley
Sep 14, 2013 Shirley rated it it was amazing
whoever thought leprechauns, changelings, sherries, pooka, banshees and merrows could be so cool!
Willow
Jul 13, 2007 Willow rated it it was amazing
Mum put this in my Stocking one year and it is a wonderful little book.
Lisa Marie
Jul 19, 2009 Lisa Marie rated it really liked it
Written so well it almost made me believe.
Ella Tatham
Ella Tatham marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Clare
Clare marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2016
Cynthia
Cynthia marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2016
Marija
Marija marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2016
Al Lee
Al Lee marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2016
Roundwater
Roundwater marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
Yazir Paredes
Yazir Paredes marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Noa
Noa marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Cathy
Cathy rated it liked it
Aug 21, 2016
Claudia
Claudia rated it liked it
Aug 19, 2016
Kristi Taylor
Kristi Taylor marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
Valerie
Valerie rated it it was ok
Aug 08, 2016
Teresa
Teresa added it
Aug 06, 2016
Matthew Mcguinness
Matthew Mcguinness marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2016
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2016
Ashley
Ashley rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2016
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
Michelle Hoyt
Michelle Hoyt marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
K
K added it
Jul 16, 2016
  • The Vanishing People: Fairy Lore and Legends
  • The Sidhe: Wisdom from the Celtic Otherworld
  • Meeting the Other Crowd
  • Inishowen
  • British Goblins: Welsh Folk Lore, Fairy Mythology, Legends and Traditions (1881)
  • The World Guide to Gnomes, Fairies, Elves and Other Little People
  • In Bruges: A Screenplay
  • Fairies: Real Encounters With Little People
  • A Complete Guide to Faeries & Magical Beings: Explore the Mystical Realm of the Little People
  • At the Bottom of the Garden: A Dark History of Fairies, Hobgoblins, Nymphs, and Other Troublesome Things
  • Through the Faerie Glass: A Look at the Realm of Unseen and Enchanted Beings
  • Stones of Aran: Pilgrimage (Stones of Aran #1)
  • The Fairy-Faith in Celtic Countries
  • Magickal Mystical Creatures: Invite Their Powers Into Your Life
  • Irisches Tagebuch
  • Strange and Secret Peoples: Fairies and Victorian Consciousness
  • A Witch's Guide To Faery Folk: How to Work With the Elemental World
  • Set in Stone
119378
BOB CURRAN is an educational psychologist in Coleraine University. His interests are broad-ranging but are focused especially on history and story. He has written several books, including The Field Guide to Irish Fairies, The Wolfhound Guide to the Shamrock, Creatures of Celtic Myth, The Truth about the Leprechaun.
More about Bob Curran...