Start by marking “From the Bellybutton of the Moon/Del ombligo de la luna: And Other Summer Poems/Y otros poemas de verano” as Want to Read:

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  69 ratings  ·  28 reviews
With a poet's magical vision, Alarcon takes us back to his childhood when he traveled with his family to Mexico to visit his grandma and other relatives. We travel with him in the family station wagon, across the misty mountain range to the little town of Atoyac. There, in the beloved town of his ancestors, we hear his grandma's stories, sample Auntie Reginalda's tasty bre ...more
Published June 23rd 2005 by Children's Book Press (first published 1998)

Be the first to ask a question about From the Bellybutton of the Moon/Del ombligo de la luna

Erin Ramai
This book is appropriate for children ages 5-10. It received a Pura Belpre Author Honor Award in 2000.

From the Bellybutton of the Moon: And Other Summer Poems is a collection of poems about Alarón’s childhood summers in Mexico. Because I speak Spanish, I really appreciated this bilingual poetry book. Sometimes I enjoyed the Spanish version of the poem more, which surprised me. However, because Francisco X. Alarcón is Mexican, it makes sense that the sound of the poem would be best in his native
This is a colorful book of poetry that follows the childhood memories of Alarcón as he and his family venture back to Mexico each summer. The poems vary from celebrating the wind that blows in the car on the journey down to celebrating the green color of the summer months. The culture of the Mexican-American families that took this journey is celebrated with the bilingual text. It is evident that this collection of poems is authentic to the warm memories of being from two cultures and celebratin ...more
Nov 16, 2014 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This book offers an interesting collection of summer-themed poems in Spanish and English. I tried to read one of the poems in Spanish, but our girls knew that I was butchering it too much, so I stopped.

What we did, though, is look for Spanish words that we could understand or associate with words in the English versions (especially colors.)

The poems are short and fun to read aloud and the illustrations are vibrantly colorful and cartoonish. We all learned that "the Aztec name for this city (Mex
This is a lovely collection of poems about children who visit their family in Mexico. The illustrations are bright and colorful and help you imagine the heat of the trip and bring the poems to life. I read this with my children. I would read the poem in English and one of them would read the poem in Spanish, taking turns who went first and which child got to read in Spanish.

As a child, my favorite poem might have been

Hierba verde (GREEN GRASS)
nos gusta (WE LOVE)
andar descalzos (TO GO SHOELESS)
This bilingual collection of 22 poems was inspired by the author’s recollections of childhood summers in Mexico. Some of the poems, like “Green Grass” are quite short “We love/ to go shoeless/ on green grass/ Mother Earth/ loves to tickle/ our bare feet/”) and some, like “Ancient Wisdom” are longer. Some are written as part of the design of the illustration, like “Water Wheel” in which the poem whirls around circles of blue and white water, or "Sea" in which the words are part of the waves. All ...more
Sam Grace
Mar 23, 2010 Sam Grace rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Mom; kids learning Spanish or English; kids with short attention spans
I read these to my monolingual (English-speaking) nephew, and the poems were so short and so beautiful sounding that he didn't mind sitting through them in Spanish before hearing them in English at all!

They are good to read aloud, but they are also good ON the page.

I agreed with back cover, too, the illustrator's art is joyful and bright and works very well with the poems.
1st – 6th grade
This book is in both Spanish and English which make it a great book for a multi-cultural class or class unit. The poems are simple in vocabulary which is why I feel it would be appropriate for even a first grader. The poems seem to simply describe the illustrations or topics for which they are about. An example being: Sunflower, somewhat a flower somehow a sun. The text is relative to a concrete idea however still abstract enough to require critical thinking skills at many differe
Ages: 9 and up

"From the Bellybutton of the Moon" is a bilingual book of free verse by Francisco X. Alarcón that chronicles his childhood experiences in Mexico. The poetry is very simple and accessible, but the images are powerful. The poems deal mostly with nature and are accompanied by the colorful, lively paintings of Maya Christiana Gonzalez.

The book contains the poems in their original Spanish and in English.

This book would serve as a perfect introduction to poetry. Students could easily m
Heather Dunbar
Ok, first of all, I like bilingual books. They help children who speak English as a second language to feel comfortable reading as well as help them learn English. It also helps kids who speak English both learn another language and know what it feels like to read another language and take a glimpse into another culture. This book in particular, I both loved and hated. The online experience was terrible, it took me four tries to actually read it (kept getting server errors). Once it actually wor ...more
Tami Roberts
1st -5th Grade (Read aloud or independent reading)

Gonzalez paints vivid, colorful pictures to illustrate Alarcόn’s poetry that would easily draw in young children. Alarcόn includes the Spanish and English translation for each poem in this book. It seems to me that most of the poems included in this collection pertain to Mexico, I feel that most English speaking readers would not be able to relate to those poems, but may find the cultural background of a different ethnic group interesting. This b
This book was nice, but it wasn't my favorite. I felt the poems were too simplistic and the drawings took up more space on the page, which distracted from the poems, rather than adding to them. I think the subject matter was not fully explored.
Kindergarten to 2nd grade
Gonzalez's vibrant, color-filled illustrations enhance Alarcon's simple, yet meaningful poems. Children will find appeal with the art, as well as the bilingual representation of the poetry on each page. Poems in this book focus on nature and summer, and rhyming is evident in many of the pieces. Images of the ocean and sky and islands are created in the mind in elegant snippets of phrases that encourage development and appreciation of poetry.
Related content: Art, Science,
Lin Lin
Poems in English and Spanish with beautiful pictures of multiple colors.
Tara Weaver
1-3 (read alone)

Del Ombligo de la Luna uses bright colorful pictures to display what is going on in each poem. There is one to two poems on each page and each one of them is in Spanish and English. Some of the poems are relatively short. Some of the lines are repeated but I did not see any rhyme used. This book would be appealing to a child that is bilingual or is learning to speak Spanish or English.

Language Arts/Reading

This book could be used for spanish speaking students that are having a har
Erin Lorimer
Another great book filled with poems in both English and Spanish. The illustrations in this book help the reader indulge in the heat the characters are feeling and become more engaged with the text. This would be another great book to introduce multicultural and seasonal lessons when in a classroom. Students could delight in the opportunity to read the Spanish versus the English of each poem individually.
Angela Williams
Grades Pre-K – 3rd

This bilingural book is full of rhymes and short sentences. the imagery is playful, large and covers the entire page. Many of the poems are short and and are descriptive of the poem being talk about (describing the sun).

Life Science /Language Arts

Lesson idea: Students can study about the different elements of the earth

Sometimes bilingual books have a heavy bent towards the author's home culture. This one, not so much. It mentions Mexico a few times, but could be relatable to anyone with a bilingual heritage. These poems are well done, and Spanish and English are equally presented on both pages. The pictures are brightly colored.
I wasn't really excited with this book, the poems in English and Spanish, at times didn't make any sense to me. The illustrations were very colorful and, from my perspective, carried the book rather than the story. Too bad, I believe this is a well recognized Mexican-American author, but his book did not excite me.
I love this mix of poetry. There are short, long, funny and serious poems. Some are concrete too. Some that stand out to me are Bilingual (about the dog that barks in both Spanish and English), Daily Shower (sidewalks get a shower), Mariposa (the cow named butterfly), and Sunflower.
I think the book has a series of teaching Spanish that are children’s books. All of series are all bilingual edition and apt to the young children reading those series. I really recommend those kids who want to be a bilingual speaker can read these book of series.
A loud and colorful bilingual picture book of poetry that celebrates and honors family, tradition vacation, traveling, and the ancient wisdom of the powerful and amusing stories grandfathers tell their grandchildren.
Another great contribution by Francisco X. Alarcon. Every elementary classroom should invite his books in so that they can tickle the tongues and warm the hearts of children. I love "Ode to My Shoes".
Amanda Wilson
there is something so special about a story a child creates, and i loved these poems and they light they spread through a childs eyes. they really make you sit back and appreciate the simpler things.
Shaeley Santiago
Bilingual book about summer travels to Mexico of a family living in the US. Name comes from Mexico-Tenochtitlan Aztec island.
A collection of bilingual poems about life in Mexico.
Bilingual in Spanish and English.
Srinidhi.R Srinidhi.R
very colorful and entertaining..
Buried In Print
Buried In Print marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Laughing Tomatoes/Jitomates risuenos: And Other Spring Poems/Y otros poemas de primavera Iguanas in the Snow/Iguanas en la nieve: And Other Winter Poems/Y otros poemas de invierno Poems to Dream Together/Poemas Para Sonar Juntos Angels Ride Bikes and Other Fall Poems: Los angeles andan bicicletas From the Other Side of Night: New and Selected Poems