Start by marking “The Little Farm (Mr. Small, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Little Farm (Mr. Small, #5)

The Little Farm (Mr. Small #5)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  62 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Farmer Small takes care of hungry cows, pigs, chickens, turkeys, ducks, and more--all in just one day! Throughout the year, he keeps his farm running smoothly by plowing the fields and selling fruits and vegetables. Illustrations.
Published November 27th 2001 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1942)

To ask other readers questions about The Little Farm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Little Farm

Amy
This edition of The Little Farm was written in 1942, so the farming methods portrayed here are distinctly old-fashioned, and distinctly, wonderfully nostalgic. And you know, little kids aren't going to necessarily know or care that farmers don't farm this way any more. Little kids are just going to like Farmer Small, they're going to enjoy watching him work his farm, and they are going to enjoy the streamlined, elegant, simple story that is just tailor-made for them. Lois Lenski is a new favorit ...more
Sally
Again, the old-timey illustrations with me! Also, this book represents a very different model of farming than we have today. The healthy kind.
Evan
I found this book in the library at Science Leadership Academy (SLA) and was interested enough to check it out, since I love children's picture books and as a Spanish teacher, I'm always on the look out for new books for the classroom.

Sadly, I feel this book is a bit dull and outdated, and unless you have children/students who are already familiar with and fond of the 'Little/Small' series by Lenski, you shouldn't waste your time reading it.

On a positive note, it is a very short read with basic
Elizabeth S
I had forgotten about this lovely little series of books until I ran into it at the library yesterday. Lois Lenski is amazing. I love her darling, simple pictures. And the story is also beautiful. Classic.
Cheryl
Finally I've read all the Mr. Small books. Of course this is obsolete, but I'm still charmed. I really liked the bobsled w/ horses in winter.
T Crockett
I can't resist Lenski's illustrations. In this book I particularly love that there's an image of horses being used to work the field.
Tricia
had no idea that there was more than one book about the "small". great book. shows how busy the life of a farmer truly is.
Amy
Loved the illustrations and short, descriptive sentences on every page. Cody is 2 and loves this book!
Guen
Guen marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Bonnie
Bonnie marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Carrie
Carrie added it
May 16, 2014
Erica
Erica marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2014
David Garcia
David Garcia marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2014
Janelle Phinney
Janelle Phinney marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2013
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2013
Lezah
Lezah marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2013
Tara
Tara marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2013
Dale
Dale added it
Aug 09, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Many of Lenski's books can be collated into 'series' - but since they don't have to be read in order, you may be better off just looking for more information here: http://library.illinoisstate.edu/uniq...

Probably her most famous set is the following:
American Regional Series

Beginning with Bayou Suzette in 1943, Lois Lenski began writing a series of books whic
More about Lois Lenski...
Strawberry Girl Indian Captive: The Story of Mary Jemison Cotton In My Sack Prairie School Shoo Fly Girl