Start by marking “Papa Small (Mr. Small, #8)” as Want to Read:
Papa Small (Mr. Small, #8)

Papa Small (Mr. Small #8)

In the dedication to her readers, Lenski writes: "For all the children who asked: 'Is there a Mama Small and Baby Small?U Yes, Papa Small has a family. Here they are--with my love. Your friend, Lois Lenski." Illustrations.
Published April 27th 2004 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1951)

To ask other readers questions about Papa Small, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Papa Small

Kathryn
Aug 20, 2012 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
4.5 STARS

This is the book Lois Lenski wrote in response to the many fans of Mr. Small who wrote to ask if he had a family. The story is sweet and charming as are the illustrations. It's old-fashioned, yes, but I think that is a large part of its charm. Here is is taken as a matter of course that Mama Small stays home while Papa Small goes to the office, that the family enjoys afternoon drives and attends church together every week. Yet certainly the family love and the cozy home could be appreci
Amy
Jun 04, 2012 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, reviewed
Another cute "Mr. Small" book by Lois Lenski. I was a little worried about reading this to the kids because it does portray an idealized, stereotypical American family ca. the 1950s. In other words, the kids in the story had a traditional nuclear family with a mom and a dad at home living with them. This is not the living arrangement in my niece and nephew's family.

The kids took this all in stride, though, and just enjoyed the happy, simple, Americana ideal presented to them in this book. My nep
Betsy
Apr 03, 2012 Betsy rated it really liked it
A very traditional family is portrayed in this old-fashioned picture book. Nonetheless, Papa Small helps Mama Small with things like cleaning and hanging up the laundry and the whole family goes grocery shopping together. Our family operates very similarly to the Smalls, and our kids love to compare ("we do that, too!").
Christy
Oct 27, 2013 Christy rated it it was amazing
In the dedication to her readers, Lois Lenski wrote: “For all the children who asked: ‘Is there a Mama Small and Baby Small?’ Yes, Papa Small has a family. Here they are—with my love. Your friend, Lois Lenski.” Children will love seeing Papa Small and his family do many of the same things that their families do.In the dedication to her readers, Lois Lenski wrote: “For all the children who asked: ‘Is there a Mama Small and Baby Small?’ Yes, Papa Small has a family. Here they are—with my love. You ...more
Michael Fitzgerald
Sep 01, 2015 Michael Fitzgerald rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Based on this, the book Mama Small should be very, very short, because Papa Small pretty much does everything, from working all day to hanging the clothes to practically farming to fixing things around the house, going shopping, and helping with the cooking.
Dianna
Sep 13, 2012 Dianna rated it it was amazing
So cute and charming, it's hard not to squeal. Papa Small hangs out the laundry while Mama Small uses an old-fashioned ringer. Papa Small shaves while the small Smalls look on. Papa Small reads to the children while Mama Small turns down the beds.

My three-year-old and I are both in love with this book.
Brent
Feb 14, 2016 Brent rated it liked it
We discovered Lois Lenski through this and Cowboy Small. These books are fun for our different-looking family.
Kathleen
May 11, 2008 Kathleen rated it liked it
Shelves: france, kids-ya
I like that the English translation is right underneath the French. Good practice book.
Dawn
Jul 26, 2012 Dawn rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite childhood books. Loved the words. Automobile. :)
Ally Scherm
Ally Scherm marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Danielle Young
Danielle Young marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
Kasey Rose
Kasey Rose marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
Colleen
Colleen marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Erika
Erika marked it as to-read
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Christie
Christie marked it as to-read
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Susan N. Auerbach
Susan N. Auerbach rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2016
Boys
Boys marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Jael
Jael added it
Jun 01, 2016
Leslie
Leslie added it
May 02, 2016
Lapus Family
Lapus Family rated it liked it
May 02, 2016
Mp Garcia
Mp Garcia marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Danielle
Danielle rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Many of Lenski's books can be collated into 'series' - but since they don't have to be read in order, you may be better off just looking for more information here: http://library.illinoisstate.edu/uniq...

Probably her most famous set is the following:
American Regional Series

Beginning with Bayou Suzette in 1943, Lois Lenski began writing a series of books whic
More about Lois Lenski...

Mr. Small (9 books)
  • The Little Auto (Mr. Small, #1)
  • The Little Sailboat (Mr. Small, #2)
  • The Little Airplane (Mr. Small, #3)
  • The Little Train (Mr. Small, #4)
  • The Little Farm (Mr. Small, #5)
  • The Little Fire Engine
  • Cowboy Small
  • Policeman Small (Mr. Small, #10)