Start by marking “They Have a Word for It: A Lighthearted Lexicon of Untranslatable Words & Phrases” as Want to Read:

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  176 ratings  ·  35 reviews
They Have a Word for It takes the reader to the far corners of the globe to discover words and phrases for which there are no equivalents in English. From the North Pole to New Guinea, from Easter Island to Tibet, Howard Rheingold explores more than forty familiar and obscure languages to discover genuinely useful (rather than simply odd) words that can open up new ways of ...more
Published June 11th 2002 (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about They Have a Word for It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about They Have a Word for It

Cheryl
Reading just an entry or two at a time. It took awhile to get into it, as the organization is from the relatively trivial, easily translatable words, to the more challenging concepts that are 'foreign' to the native English speaker. The latter is what I was hoping for when I bought the book.

-----

Finally done. When one is in the right frame of mind for the theme of the chapter, one is fascinated. Mostly I found myself bored though - and yet, it was not a honest sense of boredom. After all, the pr
Christine
Jun 13, 2007 Christine rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all those interested in cultural differences
Shelves: booksiveread
Language can expand or contract our experience of the world. Rheingold has assembled a collection of words from cultures other than American for which there are no English equivalents. That meaningful look exchanged between two people, for instance, has a word to express it in Tierra del Fuegan. In Sanskrit, there is a word for the confusion between a symbol and the reality it represents.

Learning words for things we have difficulty even describing in English, or for which we lack even concepts,
matthew
Oct 07, 2007 matthew rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who really love words
Shelves: to-reread
i'm told the anthropology of this book is crap, and it's a little fruity, but i love words, and it's got some good'n's.
Stephy
Oct 10, 2008 Stephy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: word buffs
To quote author Howard Rheingold:

"ho'oponopomo (HO-OH-poh-no-poh-no) Hawaiian, in origin: Solving a problem by talking it out. A social mechanism our culture desperately needs. It is a social gathering and healing process that combines the functions of a religious ceremony, group therapy, family counseling session, town hall meeting, and small claims court. An occasion for this event might be a dispute beteween in-laws, a disagreement between business partners, sexual complications, or a minor t
Sep 08, 2013 Laura rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone!
Pretty good overall. Some of the featured words have actually entered mainstream English usage (e.g. "wabi-sabi", "mantra", "zeitgeist", and "schadenfreude") in the ~30 years since this book was written, and it's fun to think that not so long ago they were foreign and novel. Will any of the other words in the book become mainstream in the next ~30 years? I, for one, will be doing my best to use and spread these words: "esprit de l'escalier", the clever remark that come to mind when it is too lat ...more
Sarah Tipper
It’s taken me a year to read this book, not because it wasn’t good, but because it featured some concepts from other cultures that I found truly hard to absorb. It’s written with a North American audience rather than a British audience in mind and this too sometimes made it interesting to me. Some words I don’t think I’ll ever use and some I’m delighted to have found. It’s given me some wonderful words from the German language, such as feierabend, drachenfutter and zwishenraum.
Jane
Charming. Short explanations of words from non-English languages not readily translatable into English in one word.

Some examples:
*Schadenfreude--from German: when someone is happy at someone else's misfortune.

*A cute one: Drachenfutter--also from German: when a husband brings home a gift or bouquet to his wife in apology for something he's said or done. [Drachenfutter=dragon fodder]

*Treppenwitz or esprit de l'escalier: when you think of a clever remark when it's too late to say it. 1st is fro
Lisa
This is the book that spawned a number of "top ten" style lists on the internet, even though it was written in 1988, when the idea of a BBS had to be carefully explained. Like those top-ten lists, I didn't read this book cover-to-cover. I read the introduction and skimmed the rest. Although there is a nice list of "untranslatable" words, I didn't care enough to read the description and suggested usage for each one.
My favorite is yoin, which is Japanese, and a cousin of "nostalgia", but can be a
Talia Carner
Here, at Goodreads, we are all lovers of words.... This collection of words from other cultures is both entertaining and enlightening.

For all those that think that English is a rich language, comes this fun little book that shows us how other cultures have developed words to express "just that"--a situation, and emotion, and event or a relationship.

It is fun to read and to say, "Oh, yes. I wish we had this word in English." Come to think of it, there are many words in English that have been ad
Mia
a misguided appropriation of words that would have stood alone just fine if rheingold could have presented them with adequate context. instead, he barely explained the words' original meanings and then suggested situations in which americans could make use of these words. if one were to actually do as instructed and use an unfamiliar word to lighten the mood during a tense situation, without any explanation, one would sound like a condescending jerk to one's friends and family. this 'lexicon' un ...more
Kirsty Darbyshire
This is a book full of interesting concepts that can be expressed in other languages using a single word but which we don't have a word for in English. It's a really good browsey type of a read.

It was first published in 1988 and includes a few words that I've learnt since then but I'm not sure how unusualthey were in English in 1988. Schadenfreude was one of thewords that I recognised.

My favourite so far is the Swedish word uffda which is to "ouch!" what"bless you!" is to sneezing. Much better

Johanna
Reading a glorified dictionary has never been so much fun. Prepare yourself for a paradigm shift or two!
Lotte
How not to read this book: check it out from the library and read it straight through. This book begs to be owned allowing for the occasional browse. It was fascinating to see what concepts are important enough to different cultures to be named; in Italy "ponte" is the sick day people manage to wedge between the weekend and a Tuesday or Thursday holiday, creating a four-day weekend; "rasa," a Sanskrit term describes the mood or sentiment evoked by a piece of art. Lovely.
Josephine
It's not a dictionary in any real sense of the word--the terms aren't even alphabetical!--and I agree with the other commenters who said that the anthropology's more than a bit shaky. It's a fun collection of unusual words, though, all of which should be be better known, from "sitike" to "orenda", "mokita" to "biritululo". What do they mean? if you don't know...you'll just have to get a copy of the book.
Anna
Oh, big fun! As a wordie, I find endless delight in memorizing the entries from this book and flinging them out when the proper occasion arises. Even if you are not the flinging type, these words are too good to be missed, as are Mr. Rheingold's delightful interpretations of their meanings.
Virginia
quante volte avremmo voluto esprimere un pensiero, un'idea, una sensazione, ma non ci siamo riusciti perche' la nostra lingua non ce lo permette?
Le parole giuste esistono, solo che forse non sono nella nostra lingua. Come mamihlapinatapei, ad esempio...
Thomas
Mar 12, 2008 Thomas rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: The Bright and the Beautiful
Great little reference book to have around. Open to any page to read up on something pretty interesting from another culture and later force your new nugget into a conversation to let everyone know you're a smart cookie.
The Italians have a word for when you take a "sick" day on the Monday between a weekend and a Tuesday holiday... this and many more gems are to be found in this volume. An amusing dip-in-and-chuckle sort of reference work.
Meg
SO interesting if you like words (i know that sounds silly but i know what i mean). if you like using words that not everybody is aware of, or even just like learning new words, or are just curious, read it!
Unicorn
Calling all logophiles, philomaths, and philonists, this is a delightful account of lexicographical splendor. One of the best bargain book finds ever!
Dianne
This is my favorite reference book. It has entries like....Radfahrer(german) One who flatters superiors and browbeats subordinates.
Andy Plonka
Though a bit pedantic at times, it is interesting to speculate about how different societies' views of life have an influence on language.
Court
Some really interesting concepts, but a bit slow and circular/repetitive. It did spark a new interest in linguistic theory though...
Karen Chung
The author is not a real linguist, it seems, but this book is very enjoyable - I took notes on all the words in it!
Elisa
Spero che tutte le altre definizioni siano molto più affidabili di quelle delle parole italiane.
Keith Davis
ta (Chinese): To understand things and thus take them lightly. [verb]
What an excellent word.
Kathleen O'Neal
I recall reading this book and finding many of the translations of words completely inaccurate.
Dev
A thesaurus for words that you didn't know you needed until you read this book.
Ellie Vigil
Feb 11, 2008 Ellie Vigil marked it as to-read
A friend has this book. It is fascinating. I've got to get it.
  • The Highly Selective Dictionary for the Extraordinarily Literate
  • The Meaning of Tingo and Other Extraordinary Words from around the World
  • The Dord, the Diglot, and an Avocado or Two: The Hidden Lives and Strange Origins of Common and Not-So-Common Words
  • The Superior Person's Book of Words
  • Get Thee to a Punnery: An Anthology of Intentional Assaults Upon the English Language
  • The Word Museum: The Most Remarkable English Words Ever Forgotten
  • Mrs. Byrne's Dictionary of Unusual, Obscure and Preposterous Words
  • Expletive Deleted: A Good Look at Bad Language
  • Verbatim: From the bawdy to the sublime, the best writing on language for word lovers, grammar mavens, and armchair linguists
  • The Big Book of Beastly Mispronunciations: The Complete Opinionated Guide for the Careful Speaker
  • The Grouchy Grammarian: A How-Not-To Guide to the 47 Most Common Mistakes by Journalists, Broadcasters, and Others Who Should Know Better
  • An Exaltation of Larks: The Ultimate Edition
  • Lapsing Into a Comma: A Curmudgeon's Guide to the Many Things That Can Go Wrong in Print--and How to Avoid Them
  • Letter Perfect: The Marvelous History of Our Alphabet From A to Z
  • On Language
  • The Disheveled Dictionary: A Curious Caper Through Our Sumptuous Lexicon
  • I Never Knew There Was a Word for It
  • Bastard Tongues: A Trailblazing Linguist Finds Clues to Our Common Humanity in the World's Lowliest Languages
Aloha! I'm always excited to interact with readers. I'm new to Goodreads but will do my best to check in from time to time. A great deal of info and resources, articles, videos, can be found on my website, which I will list here.

I'm 65 and live in Marin County, California -- just north of the Golden Gate -- and when I'm not writing (and when weather permits, when I am writing) I'm usually to be f
More about Howard Rheingold...
Smart Mobs: The Next Social Revolution Net Smart: How to Thrive Online The Virtual Community: Homesteading on the Electronic Frontier The Millennium Whole Earth Catalog: Access to Tools and Ideas for the Twenty-First Century Virtual Reality: The Revolutionary Technology of Computer-Generated Artificial Worlds-And How It Promises to Transform Society

“ho'oponopono (Hawaiian):
Solving a problem by talking it out. After an invocation of the gods, the aggrieved parties sit down and discuss the issue until it is set right (pono means righteousness).”
1 likes
“ngaobera:
a slight inflammation of the throat produced by screaming too much.”
0 likes