The Gospel of Matthew: Vol. 2, Chapters 11-28 (The Daily Study Bible Series, Revised Edition)

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  39 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Dr. Barclay clarifies these and many other interesting and perplexing matters in this second volume of The Gospel of Matthew. As usual in the series, the "lessons" are arranged for daily reading. The text comes first in Dr. Barclay's own translation, followed in each case by his commentary.
Published June 1st 1975 by Westminster John Knox Pr (first published 1958)

Dr Author Wright, AA, AS, BS, MinB, MS, MinM, PhD, MinD, ThD
The Gospel of Matthew Volume Two by William Barclay is a very informative and comprehensive study on the gospel according to Saint Matthew. This second volume gives vivid insights to this sacred book of Saint Matthew and covers chapters eleven through twenty-eight. Dr Barclay takes a courageous stand on the teaching of Matthew and presents the teaching of Jesus in a unique way. In truth, each chapter is carefully explained in a verse by verse format, and great care is given to Jesus’ parables, m...more
Allison Fetch
I really enjoy Barclay's commentary. He blends historical detail, analysis of different translations from Greek, Aramaic, etc, primary sources from the ancient world, as well as various points of view on interpretation to present a thoughtful and in depth look at and explanation of the scriptures. He is very easy to read and I found myself utterly fascinated by the Uist rial perspective in particular that he brought to such a familiar Gospel. His own faith comes shining through, as well. While I...more
Paul
William Barclay's commentaries are well-written and scholarly. Although I frequently disagree with his perspective on some of the verses in Matthew (he occasionally seems to read more into them than I feel would be a normal "leap" of conjecture), he is certainly my favorite commentator. He incorporates good linguistic knowledge with good historical knowledge, which helps in the understanding of Matthew.
Apryl Anderson
Barclay's observations on the mock trial and crucifixion of Jesus are some of the best I've ever encountered.
Jesse
Jesse added it
Jun 16, 2014
Mike
Mike added it
Apr 30, 2014
Eijaz Manzoor
Eijaz Manzoor marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2014
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2014
Sean Mckenty
Sean Mckenty marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2014
Andrew White
Andrew White marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2014
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2013
Vijay Kumar
Vijay Kumar marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2013
Dhelia
Dhelia marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2013
Coco Solo
Coco Solo marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2013
Sonia
Sonia marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2013
Yaquelin Onoz
Yaquelin Onoz marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2013
Solomon Ejah
Solomon Ejah marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2013
Norberto Ochoa
Norberto Ochoa marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Gospel Of Luke (New Daily Study Bible) The Letter to the Romans The Gospel Of John (New Daily Study Bible) The Gospel of Matthew Volume I (The New Daily Study Bible) The Gospel of Mark (The New Daily Study Bible)