Start by marking “The Gospel of Matthew” as Want to Read:
The Gospel of Matthew

The Gospel of Matthew (New Daily Study Bible)

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  137 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Dr. Barclay gives first the text for each day's study (in his own translation) and follows this with two or three pages of commentary. He has the happy faculty of making even the most seemingly unpromising passages fairly burst with meaning. Dr. Barclay's scholarship is so thorough and his style of writing so brisk that while he instructing the reader by what he says, he i ...more
Published March 1st 1988 by Westminster John Knox Press (first published 1956)

To ask other readers questions about The Gospel of Matthew, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gospel of Matthew

Kayla
Feb 23, 2012 Kayla rated it it was ok
As part of my Moral Theology course, I was reintroduced to the Gospel of Matthew. The writing is not difficult to understand, however the parables can be tricky.
Dr Author Wright, AA, AS, BS, MinB, MS, MinM, PhD, MinD, ThD
The Gospel of Matthew Volume One by William Barclay is a very informative and comprehensive study on the gospel according to Saint Matthew. This first volume gives vivid insights to this sacred book of Saint Matthew and covers its first ten chapters. Dr Barclay takes a courageous stand on the teaching of Matthew and presents the birth and teaching of Jesus in a unique way. In truth, each chapter is carefully explained in a verse by verse format, and great care is given to Jesus’ birth, baptism, ...more
Louise
Nov 17, 2014 Louise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My priest suggested that I start with the book of Matthew as an introduction to the New Testament. Volume 1 goes through the first 10 chapters. Excellent insight into the scriptures.
James Hatton
Nov 21, 2014 James Hatton rated it really liked it
William Barclay was an excellent interpreter of the teachings of Jesus. He translated the New Testament from its early Greek format. His method was to endeavor to convey the meaning of Jesus' teachings, rather than to ensure his translations conformed to the doctrine of a given Christian sect. For this reason, I feel they are the most useful translations of the New Testament gospels. As with his several other books on the New Testament, this Gospel of Matthew is well worth reading. Barclay's two ...more
John Trippel
Dec 02, 2015 John Trippel is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This thing is the best read before turning in that I've ever read. What a thought provoking author who looked deeply into our King James bible and sees the origins of its rhetoric and time effected words so that we might better find the intended meaning. I just love it! And I'm a guy for God's sake. Go figure!
Jiaming Jiang
Feb 19, 2014 Jiaming Jiang rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Great devotion book. Explains the deep meaning of the Bible very well. But as other people said, Barclay tends to deny miracles. He tries to explain them in a scientific way.
Apryl Anderson
Feb 08, 2012 Apryl Anderson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm tracking my 'One Year Bible' reading with Barclay's NT commentaries this year. What a wealth of insight from his intensive knowledge of ancient texts and cultural studies!
Connie
As I read/prayed through Matthew, this commentary was helpful for my understanding and inspiration for prayer.
Lee
Jan 25, 2016 Lee rated it really liked it
An in depth study guide of the first 10 chapters of the Gospel of Matthew.
Russ Skinner
Nov 17, 2014 Russ Skinner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bible-study
Excellent again. Fascinating morsels in almost every daily commentary.
Sarah Ferguson
Jul 07, 2009 Sarah Ferguson is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
great help for Bible study :-)
David
Apr 16, 2012 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good start to the classic series.....
Patrick
Great book. Enjoyed it.
Benjamin
Benjamin is currently reading it
May 17, 2016
Byron Xavier
Byron Xavier is currently reading it
May 10, 2016
Trooper10173
Trooper10173 rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2016
Irinel Ganea
Irinel Ganea rated it it was ok
May 05, 2016
Nick
Nick added it
May 01, 2016
Borets Zapravdu
Borets Zapravdu rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2016
Zachary
Zachary marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Diann Bailey
Diann Bailey rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2016
April Vaughn
April Vaughn marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Dean Brett
Dean Brett rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2016
Dean Brett
Dean Brett rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2016
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2016
Rita Rojas
Rita Rojas is currently reading it
Feb 25, 2016
Gisela Sorge
Gisela Sorge rated it it was amazing
Feb 24, 2016
Catherine Nicol
Catherine Nicol marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Epistle to the Hebrews
  • The Gospel According to John
  • Psalms 1-72
  • Paul's Letter to the Philippians
  • The Gospel according to John
  • Genesis 1-15 (Word Biblical Commentary #1)
  • The Book of Revelation, Revised
  • Life Is Worth Living
  • Commentary on Romans
  • Acts for Everyone, Part 1: Chapters 1-12
  • The Letter of James
  • Zondervan Handbook to the Bible
  • The King James Only Controversy: Can You Trust the Modern Translations?
  • Catholic Christianity: A Complete Catechism of Catholic Beliefs Based on the Catechism of the Catholic Church
  • Ancient Israel: The Former Prophets: Joshua, Judges, Samuel, and Kings: A Translation with Commentary
  • Be Rich (Ephesians): Gaining the Things That Money Can't Buy
  • Who Moved the Stone?

New Daily Study Bible (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Gospel Mark: The New Daily Study Bible
  • The Gospel Of Luke (New Daily Study Bible)
  • The Gospel Of John (New Daily Study Bible)
  • The Acts of the Apostles
  • The Letter to the Romans
  • The Letters to the Corinthians (New Daily Study Bible)
  • The Letters to the Galatians and Ephesians