True Stories of Bear Attacks: Who Survived and Why

True Stories of Bear Attacks: Who Survived and Why

3.3 of 5 stars 3.30  ·  rating details  ·  10 ratings  ·  3 reviews
Author and wildlife expert Mike Lapinski compiled this collection of true bear-encounter stories from throughout the western United States, British Columbia, and Alaska. Some have happy endings, some fatal; all are thrilling. But there's more to this book than a heart-pounding read. Think of these as campfire stories with a higher purpose. Mike strongly advocates the use o...more
Published May 1st 2004 by Westwinds Press

To ask other readers questions about True Stories of Bear Attacks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about True Stories of Bear Attacks

Bill
Mar 17, 2008 Bill rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Bears
A lot of books will tell you about bear attacks. Some might even tell you who survived. This book, however, tells you all of that, plus, why they survived. That's why it's the bear attack book for me. That, and it comes highly recommended.

I'm giving this book 5 stars based only on the title (awesome), subtitle (awesomer), and cover picture (awesomest). Once I finish reading the book, I'll report back to see if it lived up to the 5 star hype.

UPDATE: OK, this book did not quite deliver in the "w...more
Katie
My dad thought it would be funny to give me this book for Christmas because I always run with bear spray up in the northwoods. (There are quite a few black bears in northern Wisconsin.) I now have a lot more to think about on those long runs ... thanks, Dad!
Rich Draves
Turns out the author has an agenda: he is pushing bear spray. But the book is interesting and he makes a good case.
Steve
Steve added it
Jan 15, 2014
Shaney
Shaney added it
Aug 22, 2013
Matthew
Matthew is currently reading it
Jul 20, 2013
Nancy Cooper
Nancy Cooper marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2012
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2011
Andrewbrodie
Andrewbrodie marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2008
Death in the Grizzly Maze: The Timothy Treadwell Story Grizzlies and Grizzled Old Men: A Tribute to Those Who Fought to Save the Great Bear Wilderness Predators of the Rockies: The Bond Between Predator and Prey Solving Elk Hunting Problems: Simple Solutions To The Elk Hunting Riddle Self Defense for Nature Lovers