Start by marking “Ordinary Mind: Exploring the Common Ground of Zen and Psychoanalysis” as Want to Read:
Ordinary Mind: Exploring the Common Ground of Zen and Psychoanalysis

Ordinary Mind: Exploring the Common Ground of Zen and Psychoanalysis

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  3 reviews
In his engaging, accessible, and often witty style, psychiatrist and Zen teacher Barry Magid helps us to understand challenging Zen ideas — oneness, emptiness, no-self, and enlightenment — and explores how they make sense within Western psychotherapeutic conceptions of mind. Magid examines how to best learn from these two systems of thought that address the problems of the...more
Published March 1st 2000 by Wisdom Publications

To ask other readers questions about Ordinary Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ordinary Mind

Ville Halonen
Not exactly what I wanted, but it's not the book's fault: it says it's exploring the common ground between Zen and (American post-Freudian) psychoanalysis, and that's what it is. I can't really comment on the merits of the latter element. As a book on Zen, it was okay, but too clear and technical for what I'm looking for in a Zen book at this juncture.
Bodhi47
It was good. It was published some time ago when he was one of the first to conflate zen and psychiatry. And he does keep them separate. Adjunct and useful together but doesn't recommend both automatically for each student or patient. Liked it better than I thought I would.
Mike Porter
This book was written for a therapist, not for the lay person...like me! Although I found parts of it quite interesting, the author has written if from the perspective of a doctor and a zen teacher, and he is both.
Jade Crossroads
Jade Crossroads marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
B
B marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2014
Erik Oliver
Erik Oliver marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
Shelley
Shelley marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2014
Seven
Seven marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2014
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2013
Stief
Stief marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2013
Truong Hieu
Truong Hieu marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2013
Shane
Shane marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2013
Jensen
Jensen added it
Nov 20, 2013
Dayla
Dayla marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2013
Marcello Faiazza
Marcello Faiazza marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2013
Lee Johnson II
Lee Johnson II marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2013
Jonn
Jonn marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2013
Matthew Walton
Matthew Walton marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2013
Luckyluke
Luckyluke marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2013
Hoa
Hoa is currently reading it
Jun 12, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Ending the Pursuit of Happiness: A Zen Guide If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It: A Zen Guide to Ending the Pursuit of Happiness Nothing Is Hidden: The Psychology of Zen Koans Guida zen per non cercare la felicità Freud's Case Studies: Self Psychological Perspectives