Start by marking “Great Presidential Wit (...I Wish I Was in the Book): A Collection of Humorous Anecdotes and Quotations” as Want to Read:

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  84 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Famous for his deadpan humor, New York Times bestselling author Senator Bob Dole here brings us his favorite witticisms and hilarious remarks of this country's commanders in chief. Great Presidential Wit collects the former senator's favorite funny stories and remarks by and about American presidents -- from George Washington to George W. Bush. Senator Dole tackles the ass ...more
Published June 4th 2002 by Scribner (first published January 20th 2001)

Be the first to ask a question about Great Presidential Wit (...I Wish I Was in the Book)

Bossypants by Tina FeySeriously... I'm Kidding by Ellen DeGeneresIs Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy KalingHappy Accidents by Jane LynchElixir by Hilary Duff
Celebrity Authors
101st out of 133 books — 74 voters
We Got Zombies On The Lawn Again, Ma by Donnie  SmithSomething Bad by Dab10Somewhere Upriver by Patrick LoafmanThe Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsPrincess Gives It Away by Dab10
Read for a laugh
147th out of 223 books — 150 voters

More lists with this book...

Dec 19, 2007 Nathan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Political Junkies
I highly recommend this book because the presidents of the United States have said some pretty funny things over the years. Bob compiled a list of funny and witty quips, and then organized the quotes based on who he thought was the funniest of all time, all the way down to Millard Fillmore. Whodda thunk we could laugh with these guys, and not just at them?
I am currently reading this book. It has many funny witticisms by former presidents. I have heard some of them, but not all. The author, Bob Dole, categorizes presidents with his opinion about who was the funniest.
David Nichols
As the title implies, this is a thin book, and the compiler, former Senator Robert Dole, could have profitably cut it to one-third of its length. With a few noteworthy exceptions - Lincoln, Reagan, and Kennedy - American presidents have been remarkably unfunny men, alternating instead between dourness and dyspepsia. Most of the "jokes" in this volume were either insults that one or another president hurled at bystanders, or genuinely funny remarks made by someone associated with a particular pre ...more
Sheena Gossett
Some of our presidents had great sense of humor.
Some of our presidents had no sense.
Either way, our leaders have been good for a laugh.
I thought the beginning of the book was very well done. I was surprised to read Dole's writing as it was far more erudite than I would have thought. However, the final portion of the book, was sort of "I'll throw these presidents in for good luck." Finally, I realize that Dole highlighted different kinds of humor and used those different types as a chapter heading. I would have much rather read the humor in a chronological manner. It gives me a perspective on the "risk" factor each took with the ...more
I love books of presidential anecdotes and trivia. But this one was misleading. As Bob Dole talked about presidential wit in his foreward, which presidents could come up with a good quip and so on, most of the book was "funny" things said by other people about a president. I was familiar with virtually all the quotes, so it brought nothing new to the table.
May 06, 2008 Jody rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fellow Republicans
Recommended to Jody by: My Dad
Bob Dole really was an old fart. The book was pretty funny but in a corny "old man" sort of way. Lots of bi-partisan humor and a nice break from the Barak and Hilary drama on television. A bathroom read with quick quips from former presidents, congressional representatives and British officials. My favorite quotes were from Ronald Reagan...of course.
Upon reflecting on three years of having this book in the bathroom: Bob Dole helpfully excludes the worst chapters to the back of the book, but after three years, you've read each quotation so many times that you have to dip into those lesser presidents sometimes. Bob Dole wishes he were in the book.
This book had some funny moments. Al Gore, Bill Clinton, and Jimmy Carter are a lot funnier when they aren't in office causing trouble. The qutoes were just as often people making cracks at the president.

The book was okay, but not dazzling (like it's subject matter?).
Melissa (ladybug)
The book was ok. I had some problems in seeing the "humor" in some of them, but I really enjoyed the ones on Lincoln, Cleveland, Coolidge, and Reagan. I thought he could have put more humorous quotes in there. Over-all a good read, but not a great one.
Really could have done better.
Jeremy marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2015
Brad marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2015
Charles H. Self
Charles H. Self marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2015
Wade marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2015
Cassie marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
Florian marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Born on the twenty-second day of July 1923, in Russell Kansas. US military officer during WWII, Kansas House of Representatives member, lawyer, County Attorney of Russell County, United States House of Representatives, US Senator, USA Vice President Candidate in 1976 (ran with Gerald Ford as President), competed for the USA Presidential Canidate slot on the Republican ticket in 1980 (losing out to ...more
More about Bob Dole...