Great American Folklore

Great American Folklore

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  69 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Great American Folklore: Legends, Tales, Ballds and Superstitions, by Battle, Kemp P., comp.
Published May 6th 1986 by DoubleDay (first published 1986)

Christy Luis
May 18, 2014 Christy Luis is currently reading it
Entertaining collection with great introductions to each section. I didn't read all of it, but I enjoyed much of what I did read. Some of my favorites: "The Mermaid"; "High Horse's Courting: A Sioux Love Story"; "The Shallows of the Ford" by Henry Herbert Knibbs"; "Judge Parker, the Hanging Judge"; "Outlaw Women"; "No Complaints"; and "The Cowboy's Last Request."

The chapters I read offered a good feel for the humorous, nostalgic mix of America's folklore. I certainly plan to return to this colle...more
Donald Stevens
What a great find at the libaray. There are some really funny tales in here.
I just finshed Oolah Oolah. It is such a great little tale when it is put in context of todays world.
I even found a tale about Febold Feboldson. He is a Nebraska farmer of great stories.
A great collection of different stories, organized well and summarized in each section. My only knock is that the book tries so hard to stay true to the oral tradition that some of the stories end up being poorly written.
Jaime Contreras
This is a treasurey of myths and legends. This is a greta collection of familiar tales of heroes and villains.
Edward
Aug 22, 2007 Edward added it
My copy is by someone named "Kemp P. Battle". Whatever. Sex change?
Maura
Maura marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Kellie
Kellie added it
Jun 21, 2014
Kate
Kate is currently reading it
Jun 13, 2014
Adan
Adan marked it as to-read
May 10, 2014
Kristina
Kristina marked it as to-read
May 06, 2014
Amanda
Amanda added it
May 04, 2014
Joey V.
Joey V. marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2014
Gooberpie
Gooberpie marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
Dean
Dean added it
Feb 07, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2013
Toby Eccles
Toby Eccles marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2013
Kavita Chaudhary
Kavita Chaudhary marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Hearts of Fire: Great Women of American Lore and Legend An address on the history of the buildings of the University of North Carolina Sketches of the early history of the city of Raleigh History of the University of North Carolina The Flame Keepers