Blank-133x176
Pinky Pye

Eleanor Estes

Pinky Pye (The Pyes)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  911 ratings  ·  76 reviews
While spending a bird-watching summer on Fire Island, the Pye family acquires a small black kitten that can use a typewriter.
Published (first published 1958)

Drew Graham
I didn't even know there was a sequel to Ginger Pye until I looked up reviews after recently re-reading it, and then I thought I might as well pick it up and see if the author was able to maintain the nostalgic, if dated, charm that was so notable in her first book. I was surprised to find that I enjoyed the sequel much more than the first book!

Pinky Pye tells of the Pyes' summer in the northeastern US sea on Fire Island, and their discover of a remarkable and precocious abandoned kitten. Unlike...more
Kaili
i also really really really liked this book too. although i read it when i was little, i still think it was a good book. i like books that tell about peoples lives and this was perfect! i love this book. i think it was just as good as gynger pie and should deserve a medal too :-p!
Wayne S.
The Pye family is back, with nine (almost ten) year old Rachel, brother Jerry who is ten, Papa who is a famous ornithologist or bird man, Mama, three (almost four) year old Uncle Bennie, cat Gracie, and very smart dog Ginger. Mr. Pye has an assignment to do a study of birds on Fire Island, so he takes the whole family with him and rents a cottage appropriately named The Eyrie from Mrs. A. A. Pulie. While there, the Pyes adopt a little black cat with one white paw whom they name Pinky. And what i...more
Drew
An old-fashioned, comfortable children's book. Better and more focused than Estes' Ginger Pye, to which this is a sequel, but with the same warmth, and with the author demonstrating the same ability to get into a kid's head.

Here, the Pye family spends the summer on Fire Island where the father intends to study birds, but finds himself laid up with a sprained ankle instead. Housebound, Pye bonds with the newly-adopted kitten, who fascinates herself with the typewriter. Much of the charm of the bo...more
Kristine

The 1958 sequel to Newbery-winning GINGER PYE by Eleanor Estes (1906-1988) that features the likable Pye family of Cranbury, CT, and that almost entirely takes place one summer on Fire Island at a cottage named, by its owner Mrs Pulie, the Eyrie.

And, yes, that name is a hint for the bird part of this vintage early 1900s family story where plot is thin, but revealing glimpses into the unique thoughts and actions of the various characters offer a sort of simple, warm-hearted and, at times, quit...more
Haley
I read and enjoyed Ginger Pye and have long awaited this sequel, Pinky Pye. It wasn't a bad book. It just could have been so much better.

Here's the problem: it's too simple. Which is why I put on my "for-younger-kids" shelf and not on my "middle-grade-juvenile- fiction". The writing was SO simplistic, even more so than Ginger Pye. And my other main complaint: there's no problem, no crisis that they have to resolve. It's kinda boring. The Pyes go to Fire Island for vacation because of Mr. Pye's w...more
Jen
I previously read Ginger Pye and loved the book. I enjoyed this book just as thoroughly. It was a sweet read with a small mystery and lots of kitten antics. I would have adored this book as a child because I loved books that took place around the turn of the (last!) century. I was completely charmed and plan on reading more of Eleanor Estes books... I love the language, descriptions, and pace of the book. The storyline is engaging and amusing even to an adult reader.
T.E.
Oh, man, almost forgot about this book! I remember nothing about except that I really liked it (I think I was around nine) and at one point they were all on the dock and the daughter (Rachel?) had a stick of burning punk between her toes and I thought "What in God's name is THAT?"
Adorable
Logan
Sweet, rather slow story about a family who moves to an East Coast island for the summer so that the ornithologist dad can do some research on the local bird population and ends up taking in a clever and funny abandoned black kitten. Gentle humor that appealed to all of us (including my husband, who is more of a horror/thriller reader). We solved the "mystery" early on, but it was still fun to hear about the family and their pets. Especially if you've enjoyed Estes' other books, or the books of...more
We listened to this as a family on our drive to Florida one winter. The 4 year old wasn't a big fan, but it was a highlight of the trip for our 8 year old daughter and both parents who were listening. We couldn't wait to get back in the car to listen after pit stops!

The story follows the Pye family for a summer month on Fire Island, which is a new place for them to explore while their father studies birds. They adopt a cat, Pinky, as a companion to their dog Ginger (another Estes story we will h...more
Janet
Cute story about a family's summer on Fire Island, where their father is supposed to be studying birds but hurts himself and is confined to the yard. Mr. Pye spends more time studying the antics the homeless kitten the family adopts. Everyone agrees that the kitten - Pinky Pye - is quite brilliant - especially as she learns to type. Other members of the family take over the bird-watching (that is, his daughter and the two cats) and they make a remarkable discovery in their attic!! At times this...more
Ginger
A cute story. Fun to read with the kiddos.
Mckinley
The family goes to Fire Island for the summer.
Ashley Herring Blake
Surprisingly, I thought this book was awful. Previously, I read its predecessor, Ginger Pye, which was a Newbery Medal winner. Well, this one was not and it is clear why. The plot was so loosely constructed I found many of the chapters absolutely unnecessary which really should never happen in a book, much less a book for children. It was, altogether, boring. It's a shame because Eleanor Estes is a really great author and I love most of her novels. But with this one, in my opinion, she should ha...more
Andd Becker
Edward Ardizzone illustrated this Ginger Pye sequel for middle grades. The book stars a cat.
Aarti
Gentle and sweet story about the Pye family's summer adventure on Fire island. I read it together with my daughter. The language is excellent and appropriate for 3rd-5th grade. Lot's of little anecdote's to amuse the kids, about animals, birds along the way as the story builds up to a nice climax. The characters are entertaining with distinct personalities. I thought it was funny that the author even wrote from the point of view of the cat, she must be a cat owner.
Shawn Thrasher
Even after 50 years on the shelf, Eleanor Estes writing is still crisp and fresh. A seemingly simple family adventure at the beach is also a cute kitten story (who doesn't love the antics of a cute kitten?) and a small but engaging mystery story (what is up in the attic?). It's a slice of time as well, when life (and stories) were a bit more uncomplicated and small events were more exciting. Pinky Pye was one of my favorite books growing up; it still is.
Alicia Farmer
When the 9 year old to whom I was reading this (at his request) said, "Mom, I'm kind of tired of this. Nothing is happening." I kind of had to agree. He chose this after his teacher read Ginger Pye to the class and he loved it. This was harmless and, for an adult reader, had some cute characterizations of children. But the kid was right: nothing to keep you returning to the book.
Amber
Another great book by Eleanor Estes, we laughed a lot with this story. Pinky is by far the most interesting member of the family! "She is adorable, lovable, enchanting and fascinating. A whole book could be written about her and has been. Look in the library for it. Don't skip a word of it, it's all true." -a quote from Pinky Pye about Pinky Pye from the book Pinky Pye.
Featherheart
What better story for someone called Featherpaw than the story of a kitten who can typewrite?! Her story is very sweet. But this is not only Pinky's story. It starts, in fact, with a puffin, marches past the New York Cat, Gracie, Ginger, the smartest dog in the world, Uncle Bennie, who is turning four, and leads up to what is In The Eaves, which Pinky reveals at the end.
Jennifer Johnson
Fun, fun, fun! A great "Old Fashioned" read aloud that brings a much needed relief from the cynical drama of most modern grade school novels. Good clean fun. And Estes is a GREAT vocabulary builder- she consistently incorporates a sophisticated yet never intimidating vocabulary that expands children's understanding as they infer meaning of new words in context.
Annabel
This was a great book. I liked Ginger Pye a little more than Pinky Pye, but it still was pretty well- written! I'm sure many people would agree with me. Cat lovers would adore this book! It was a somewhat long read, but it wasn't too long that it would become uninteresting. People would really enjoy this book.
Melissa
I just can't get enough of the wonderful town of Cranbury, Connecticut and two of the most endearing families that happen to live there--the Moffats and the Pyes. This time the Pyes leave Cranbury for a summer vacation on Fire Island. It's perfect to read in the summer. My six year old son and I loved it!
Lia
The cats are great in this book (and that from someone who doesn't like cats).

The Moffats and the Pye books accomplish something difficult. They capture the innocence and the angst of childhood with innocence without ignoring the larger world. They are sweet and sad, brilliant and beautiful.
Samantha
This was a wholesome read about a family vacationing on Fire Island. Reminded me of The Penderwick family. The family adopts a brilliant kitten and name it Pinky Pye. This is the sequel to Ginger Pye, which I had read as a kid. I didn't realize Estes had written a second 'Pye' book.
Lulu
I had fun reading the book but I think I liked Ginger Pye more. I was expecting more about Pinky, the cat, but it focused more around the owl. Anyways, not much to say about this book except it certainly was cute. I think I will buy it for cheap at Half Price or something.
Kristi
I was looking for a book to keep my 8-year-old grandson interested in reading. This was a cute enough story, but I don't think it is adventure-filled enough for him. I see it was written in the 1950's -- I don't know if that has anything to do with it...
Kate Wilson
I am reading the children's books that I have around the house and deciding whether to donate them or hang on to them. My favorite Eleanor Estes was Rufus M., but I don't have a copy of that one. I got Pinky from the library books sale some years ago.
The Library Lady
I know, I know, "Ginger Pye" won the Newbery. But the sequel, featuring a family trip to Fire Island and an amazing black kitten named Pinky is funnier, far more creative and altogether delightful. This is one of those books I re-read at least once a year!
Jessica
My daughter and I read this together and just loved it! Eleanor Estes wrote these in the early 20th century, but they are timeless and very fun to read out loud to your kids. Funny and witty, with a cute, wholesome storyline.
  • Spiderweb for Two: A Melendy Maze
  • Thomasina
  • The Golden Name Day
  • The Grand Escape (Cat Pack #1)
  • The Ballad of Lucy Whipple
  • Socks
  • Caddie Woodlawn's Family
  • Frightful's Mountain (Mountain, #3)
  • No Such Thing As a Witch
  • Who Was Anne Frank?
  • Pinkerton, Behave!
  • Katie John
  • Martin's Mice
  • Return of the Homework Machine
  • The Bike Lesson
  • Baby
  • Elmer and the Dragon (My Father's Dragon, #2)
Eleanor Ruth Rosenfeld (Estes)was an American children's author. She was born in West Haven, Connecticut as Eleanor Ruth Rosenfield. Originally a librarian, Estes' writing career began following a case of tuberculosis. Bedridden while recovering, Estes began writing down some of her childhood memories, which would later turn into full-length children's books.

Estes's book Ginger Pye (1951) won the...more
More about Eleanor Estes...
The Hundred Dresses Ginger Pye (The Pyes, #1) The Moffats (The Moffats, #1) The Witch Family The Middle Moffat (The Moffats, #2)