Start by marking “The Faith: A History of Christianity” as Want to Read:
The Faith: A History of Christianity

The Faith: A History of Christianity

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  52 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Beginning with the birth of Jesus and tracing the religion established by his followers up to the present day, The Faith is a comprehensive exploration of the history of Christianity. Judiciously covering all the signal moments without bogging down in minutia, author Brian Moynahan's superbly written and generously illustrated book is of central importance to Christians, h ...more
Published October 21st 2003 by Image (first published April 16th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Faith, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Faith

Todd Stockslager
Jun 09, 2015 Todd Stockslager rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
History of Christianity from a "secular"--that is, not specifically Christian--viewpoint. A sad litany of the absolute sinful disaster man has made of the Gospel!

What shines through is the power of Christ and the Holy Spirit working in the hearts of individual men and women to call them to repentence and salvation and further the work of the Lord.
N.K.
Jul 16, 2014 N.K. rated it really liked it
A lengthy, detailed and well written history of the Christian faith. It deals with a weighty and some times controversial subject even-handedly and deftly. It might take you a while to read the entire book with 800 pages but it is well worth it if you are looking for a good history of Christianity.
Blake Suedekum
Have only read the first 3rd of this but find it very informative and worth the reading.
Neil Wagoner
Jan 04, 2011 Neil Wagoner rated it it was amazing
It was a long read, but with 2000 years of history to cover that should be no surprise. It was fascinating, educational, and revealing. It covers almost all of the major events in the history of Christianity and does so without bias. It doesn't pull punches when discribing the less than saintly behavior of many adherents to the faith over the years, but manages to balance these with positive stories that help explain how the church kept from collapsing under the weight of its own sin. I highly r ...more
J. Ewbank
Apr 02, 2010 J. Ewbank rated it really liked it
This is an excellent book for the layperson. Most of the books like this are a little limited because they are not written for the scholar but for the layperson to read and enjoy. This is such a book.

The information in the book is limited but what is there is good and a solid scholarship is shown.

One could read other histories of Christianity but this one involves the many wings and splits among the Christians that provide some interesting insights into Christianity.

A Good, solid read.

J. Robert
Jan
Oct 10, 2007 Jan rated it really liked it
Shelves: godthink
This is a marvelously written and fascinating history of Christianity.

Interesting quote from the book: "...Now we are proposing that you should fight wars which contain the glorious reward of martyrdom, in which you can gain present and eternal glory..."

Mohammed?
A fundamentalist imam?

Wrong! Pope Urban II. Which demonstrates that no religion has primacy in the "let's kill for God" department.

Colin
Apr 26, 2010 Colin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quite comprehensive and magisterial work on "the Faith" - Christianity - from its earliest beginnings though the dawn of the 21st century. I suspect that the author thinks of himself as unbiased among the many sects of Christianity, though some biases do come across in the writing. Still, it is perhaps the best comprehensive history of Christianity that I've ever read.
Owen
Dec 23, 2009 Owen rated it it was amazing
The single most exhaustively researched tome I have ever gotten my hands on, and it's a masterpiece. I don't know how Moynahan did it in a single lifetime. It's an incredible research book to have on your shelf, while still an enjoyable read- the common theme is the story of Christianity, warts and all. It's magnificent.
Jeff
Apr 22, 2013 Jeff rated it it was amazing
This book should be required reading for all Christians. As a member of the Mormon faith, I found this book to be very insightful and a brilliant re-telling of the Great Apostacy, even if that was not Moynahan's purpose for this book. I thoroughly enjoyed it and learned a great deal.
Maya
Nov 01, 2008 Maya marked it as never-finished
OK, so I've been working on this in bits and pieces for about three years, but it has not left it's coveted spot on my nightstand, and I WILL finish it someday!
Robert
Jun 03, 2008 Robert rated it really liked it
I believe I got this book off a National Geographic recommendation. I thought it was good and believe it was pretty accurate/fair. It is long, but quite comprehensive.
Matt
Oct 24, 2009 Matt rated it really liked it
Very well written and informative though a little too dependent on secondary sources?
Rev.Robert  Johnnene OFA
Jan 18, 2008 Rev.Robert Johnnene OFA rated it it was amazing
Clar concise history complete with the warts.
benebean
Nov 04, 2012 benebean marked it as never-finished
I don't think I fully trust this author.
Nonny
Nonny marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Lisa Gabriel
Lisa Gabriel marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
JR Smith
JR Smith marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
May 07, 2016
Doug Carmichael
Doug Carmichael marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Tim Good
Tim Good marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2016
Brian Sauer
Brian Sauer rated it liked it
Mar 31, 2016
David Barnhill
David Barnhill rated it liked it
May 09, 2016
Adam Mills
Adam Mills rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2016
Erick
Erick is currently reading it
Mar 19, 2016
Lucia
Lucia marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2016
Andrew Snell
Andrew Snell marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
Rossrn Nunamaker
Rossrn Nunamaker marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Ryan Phillips
Ryan Phillips marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Brian Moynahan is an English journalist and historical writer.
More about Brian Moynahan...