The Faith: A History of Christianity

The Faith: A History of Christianity

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  44 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Beginning with the birth of Jesus and tracing the religion established by his followers up to the present day, The Faith is a comprehensive exploration of the history of Christianity. Judiciously covering all the signal moments without bogging down in minutia, author Brian Moynahan's superbly written and generously illustrated book is of central importance to Christians, h...more
Published October 21st 2003 by Image (first published April 16th 2002)

N.K.
A lengthy, detailed and well written history of the Christian faith. It deals with a weighty and some times controversial subject even-handedly and deftly. It might take you a while to read the entire book with 800 pages but it is well worth it if you are looking for a good history of Christianity.
Blake Suedekum
Have only read the first 3rd of this but find it very informative and worth the reading.
Neil Wagoner
It was a long read, but with 2000 years of history to cover that should be no surprise. It was fascinating, educational, and revealing. It covers almost all of the major events in the history of Christianity and does so without bias. It doesn't pull punches when discribing the less than saintly behavior of many adherents to the faith over the years, but manages to balance these with positive stories that help explain how the church kept from collapsing under the weight of its own sin. I highly r...more
J. Ewbank
This is an excellent book for the layperson. Most of the books like this are a little limited because they are not written for the scholar but for the layperson to read and enjoy. This is such a book.

The information in the book is limited but what is there is good and a solid scholarship is shown.

One could read other histories of Christianity but this one involves the many wings and splits among the Christians that provide some interesting insights into Christianity.

A Good, solid read.

J. Robert...more
Jan
This is a marvelously written and fascinating history of Christianity.

Interesting quote from the book: "...Now we are proposing that you should fight wars which contain the glorious reward of martyrdom, in which you can gain present and eternal glory..."

Mohammed?
A fundamentalist imam?

Wrong! Pope Urban II. Which demonstrates that no religion has primacy in the "let's kill for God" department.

Colin
A quite comprehensive and magisterial work on "the Faith" - Christianity - from its earliest beginnings though the dawn of the 21st century. I suspect that the author thinks of himself as unbiased among the many sects of Christianity, though some biases do come across in the writing. Still, it is perhaps the best comprehensive history of Christianity that I've ever read.
Owen
The single most exhaustively researched tome I have ever gotten my hands on, and it's a masterpiece. I don't know how Moynahan did it in a single lifetime. It's an incredible research book to have on your shelf, while still an enjoyable read- the common theme is the story of Christianity, warts and all. It's magnificent.
Jeff
This book should be required reading for all Christians. As a member of the Mormon faith, I found this book to be very insightful and a brilliant re-telling of the Great Apostacy, even if that was not Moynahan's purpose for this book. I thoroughly enjoyed it and learned a great deal.
Maya
Nov 01, 2008 Maya marked it as never-finished
OK, so I've been working on this in bits and pieces for about three years, but it has not left it's coveted spot on my nightstand, and I WILL finish it someday!
Robert
I believe I got this book off a National Geographic recommendation. I thought it was good and believe it was pretty accurate/fair. It is long, but quite comprehensive.
Matt
Very well written and informative though a little too dependent on secondary sources?
Rev.Robert  Johnnene OFA
Clar concise history complete with the warts.
benebean
Nov 04, 2012 benebean marked it as never-finished
I don't think I fully trust this author.
Adrian
Adrian is currently reading it
Jun 01, 2014
Sharn
Sharn marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Ryan
Ryan added it
May 10, 2014
Dinesh K
Dinesh K marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
Matthew Carr
Matthew Carr marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2014
Claudinei Santos
Claudinei Santos marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2013
Rick
Rick marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2013
James
James marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2013
Evan
Evan marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2013
Tom Haddox
Tom Haddox marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Rasputin: The Saint Who Sinned God's Bestseller: William Tyndale, Thomas More, and the Writing of the English Bible---A Story of Martyrdom and Betrayal The Russian Century: A History of the Last Hundred Years Jungle Soldier: The True Story of Freddy Spencer Chapman Forgotten Soldiers