Start by marking “Darkness Peering” as Want to Read:

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  373 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Darkness Peering

Published August 1st 2000 by Bantam (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Darkness Peering, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Darkness Peering

Dorie
Nov 29, 2009 Dorie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Dorie by: JG
Shelves: crime-fiction
Ruth
L.G. Estrella
I quite enjoyed this book. The writing is smooth and atmospheric, and the setting adds very nicely to the air of menace and mystery. My main gripe comes with the conclusion of the story. It didn't really provide as much close as I would have liked. Still, a good read.
Vince Darcangelo

This review originally appeared in the BOULDER CAMERA

Thirteen horrifying reads for Halloween
by Vince Darcangelo
Posted: 10/24/2008 02:34:00 AM MDT

October is the time of year to indulge those horror cravings. As the leaves turn, and a haunting chill fills the evening air, there's nothing better than curling up with a good thriller, be it a psychological mystery or supernatural scare, a genre gore-fest or high-minded literary horror.

We've compiled 13 can't-mi
Chelsi
Michael
May 01, 2009 Michael rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: mystery fans, police procedural fans and fans of relationship issues.
Recommended to Michael by: Own this book after excellent reviews.
Sometimes reading a book for a second time doesn't create as much anticipation and the initial reading but this novel is as fresh and engrossing as ever.

Melissa D'Augustino, age 14 and mentally retarded is murdered. Her body is found in a pond in a cow pasture. Police Chief Nalen Storrow of Flowering Dogwood, Maine is at the scene and leading the investigation.

Nalen is deeply troubled, not only because a crime like this couldn't happen in his quiet town but also because he feels protective fo
Angela
The dead girl lay face up on the edge of the pond, a snake coiled in the muddy hollow of one arm. For Police Chief Nalen Storrow, it was a shocking reminder of the violence he thought he'd left behind when he moved his family to Flowering Dogwood, Maine. Then, Storrow's investigation leads to a chilling possibility...the murderer might be his own son, Billy. Eighteen years later, a different cop is obsessed with the unsolved case--Rachel Storrow, Nalen's grown daughter. But no sooner does Rachel ...more
Linda Strong
I stumbled across this one as I was re-organizing or trying to re-organize my room of books I have yet to read ... and I am so glad I did! This was released in 1999/2000.

18 years ago a young woman was brutally murdered ..... that crime has never been solved. The sheriff at the time had suspects .... one of them his own 16-year-old son. Rather than turn him in, he made an earth shattering decision.

Forward these last 18 years, the deceased sheriff's daughter is a detective, her brother working at
Booklogged
A 6-7 hour trip to Cedar City seemed like a good time to listen to a book on tape. Since my mother and daughter, Alyson, would be riding with me, I knew I had to allow lots of time for visiting in addition to listening time. That ruled out the 10-hour audio of Memoirs of a Geisha, which was my first choice. I made a long list from books that have been recommended to me and a list of my favorite authors, then headed to the library. Needless to say, our library, which is fabulous for a rural commu ...more
Cheewai Lai
The plot gets a little incredulous towards the end but I like the twists.
Victoria
Well, this mystery was better than the first book of hers I read - The Breathtaker. And the finale definitely seemed inspired by Silence of the Lambs... But that aside, the plot was solid and rather unpredictable. The very end, however, was perplexing and a little pointless, in my opinion. Also, some of the police procedural details seemed very wrong - why was Rachel going everywhere without a partner??
Sophia Monroe
If you cop-drama-killer-who-dunnit's your thing, then this is a great pic. Loved the final action scene, & the ending left an intriguing door open.
Focusfound
I was very impressed with this book! I can't read a book unless it keeps me interested where I don't want to put it down. This book kept me involved with the lives of all the people and in the community itself. Ms. Blanchard did a great job with descriptions of everything. It wasn't overly descriptive where you get bored with it but it was descriptive enough where you could put yourself there and try to figure out the mystery yourself, like you are another character in the book
Winnie
Read for one of my book clubs. It was okay but I didn't care for the
detailed descriptions of those murdered. I also thought there was a
bit too many cliches. I will say the author was able to keep the
suspense alive until the last few pages. I did not guess who murdered
Claire and kidnapped Nicole but I did not believe that Billy did it.
As for the murder of Melissa, yes....I figured that one out. The book
does not, however, give the reasons for that murder.
Ashley
Feb 23, 2010 Ashley rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
I read this for a book club. It was decent as far as murder mystery goes. The murders are a little more gruesome than I was expecting, but the language isn't as bad as it is in some books like this. I did have to laugh at the author a few times, though (laugh at, not with), because her descriptions about random things would be excessive and weird. I could just see her thinking she was so clever when, in reality, it was just...weird.
I loved this book. Unlike a lot of mysteries I've read, I did not see the ending coming. Am awesome creepy read for the Halloween season.
Julie
The first few pages I was worried that the writing was going to get in the way of the story, but that resolved itself. It's an interesting mystery - who done it. The twist to it is a little bit out there, but not too much. Not the best mystery book I've ever written, but not bad.
Mary
Good solid mystery with a surprising twist at the end. Blanchard's mystery keeps you turning the pages. Detective Rachel Storrow ,following in her fathers footsteps, is determined to solve a cold case that her father was working on 18 years ago when he was police chief.
Dee
I read this mystery while I was house sitting in Oceanside, CA. It was a strange location for me and this book made me close all the blinds, turn on all the lights, and double-check the locks on the doors. I guess that's what a good mystery should do.
Christina
Great thriller but didn't appreciate the language. I may be old fashioned but I still think that with as many words as there are in the English language there are much better ways to express things than using crass words that only tarnish the story.
Joe O'c
Excellent; murder of retarded girl causes cop to kill himself because he thinks his son may be culprit; almost 20 years later new murders are being looked into by his daughter, also a cop.
Linda
Read this for library book club. Disappointed in the writer's style. Some really strange metaphors. The protagonist's romance was unnecessary and gratuitous. Definitely a plane/beach book.
Cindi (cheesygiraffe)
This was a great mystery thriller. It was also some SS. Some of you know what I mean by that. ;) I never would have guessed the killer and the ending was a total shocker!
Mary  (Biblophile)
Interesting mystery and good character development. Some twists and turns that keep you wondering who did it. However, the ending was a little ambiguous.
Erin
This is the first mystery novel I have read in at least 10 years. I read it at the beach. I enjoyed it thoroughly. There is not much else to say.
David
Hooks you right away and you can't put it down. I read this over a 3 day period. Suspenseful and ends with a psychological surprise.
Gabriella
Did a real good job of keeping the suspense up until the end.
Toni
I really liked this book. It kept me guessing 'til the end.
Tracey
Loved the book! Mystery - kept me guessing up to the end.
  • The Lineup: The World's Greatest Crime Writers Tell the Inside Story of Their Greatest Detectives
  • Pyres
  • The Vaults
  • Skull Session
  • Heartless
  • Death from the Woods
  • Raveling: A Novel
  • Hit List
  • Trigger City (Ray Dudgeon, #2)
  • Talking About Detective Fiction
  • Boston Noir
  • Missing Witness
  • The Chatham School Affair
  • The Good Son
  • Reckless (Ty Hauck, #3)
  • Still bleeding
  • Riverwatch
  • Retribution (C.J. Townsend #1)
Alice Blanchard won the Katherine Anne Porter Prize for Fiction for her book of stories, The Stuntman's Daughter. She has also received a PEN Syndicated Fiction Award, a New Letters Library Award, and a Centrum Artists in Residence Fellowship.

Alice Blanchard lives in California with her husband

~~from the book jacket of The Breathtaker.
More about Alice Blanchard...
The Breathtaker Life Sentences The Stuntman's Daughter and Other Stories Catching Katie

“The day was hot, the sun high, and the silence was so think you'd have thought the sky didn't have any air in it.” 2 likes