Start by marking “Grace Works” as Want to Read:
Grace Works

Grace Works

4.23  ·  Rating Details  ·  143 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
An enlightening treatment of grace and works--concepts that have given rise to heated debates for centuries "This is a book about grace, " writes Robert L. Millet. "This is a book about works. It is, in fact, a book about how 'grace works, ' about the goodness and condescension of a benevolent God, and about the good works that flow from the heart of a person who has been ...more
Published March 1st 2003 by Deseret Book Co

To ask other readers questions about Grace Works, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grace Works

Bob
Jan 01, 2009 Bob rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. As Latter-day Saints we get way too wrapped up in behavior and obedience issues, to the end that many LDS lose touch with the fact that we really are saved by faith through grace. This is not just Paul in the Bible. The doctrine of salvation by grace permeates the Book of Mormon, and Millet accomplishes much the same end as Stephen E Robinson in "Believing Christ" in helping LDS understand that they don't have to save themselves through perfect obedience. Christ did that for u ...more
Leah
Sep 04, 2015 Leah rated it it was amazing
Robert L. Millet is Richard L. Evans Professor of Religious Understanding at Brigham Young University. Although this book isn't an official Latter-day Saint publication, it's published by Deseret Book and approaches the subject from a Mormon perspective. However, the author has read widely and includes many references to non-LDS theologians, including C.S. Lewis and Karl Barth. "After all we can do" in the kicker to the title references 2 Nephi 25:23, but doesn't quite describe the LDS or any sc ...more
Nikie Elwood
Mar 09, 2008 Nikie Elwood rated it it was amazing
Wow. This is amazing book. In very simple terms, the author explains how justice and grace work in the atonement, and what our obligation is to the Savior to have the atonement work in our lives. I was reading chapter 2 of 2nd Nephi the other day--yes, I'm behind in my Sunday School reading!--and it took on a whole new meaning to me after just having finished this book.
Jo
Jul 10, 2015 Jo rated it really liked it
Shelves: inspiration
Loved his explanation of grace... So often in Mormon culture we get confused with the idea of grace, but Millet does a superb job of simply stating that it is all that works... All we can do is turn to Christ... That's it, and as we turn to Christ, he changes us, and we seek to be more like Him. Loving, serving, and giving of ourselves... Beautiful.
Lisa-Michele
Jan 06, 2016 Lisa-Michele rated it really liked it
I’m always interested in investigating the “fine harmony that exists between grace and works in the doctrines of salvation” taught by the LDS Church. This is a Mormon author who wants us to re-examine our ability to trust grace. Mormons are notoriously focused on works, works, works. As in: “Faith without works is dead.” Millet makes the point that “we are wont to overlook the simple yet profound reality that the plan of salvation, the gospel of Jesus Christ, is truly a gospel of grace.” We woul ...more
Terry
Nov 03, 2010 Terry rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion
Robert Millett brought a laser like focus to the topics of Grace and Works. There is often much confusion about Grace among LDS members.

Millett clearly explained the doctrine of Grace found in the Bible and The Book of Mormon. We all need the Grace of Christ and Redemption that He offers through His atonement. We cannot rely on ourselves or other people for redemption. We must accept His gift and put it to work in our lives. He enables us through Grace to do His works and to endure the vicissit
Lisa Reising
Feb 19, 2012 Lisa Reising rated it really liked it
Shelves: spirituality
This book is slim: 6 chapters (with a prologue and epilogue), but it wasn't until I had begun chapter 4 that I began to really love the way the author approached, organized and cast bright light on this topic. I purposely read it slowly in order to internalize the concepts he addresses. By the end I was underlining all kinds of nuggets of wisdom. The subjects of grace and works (too often treated separately and sometimes pitted against each other) actually require the key of balance and context ...more
Chris Lindblom
Jun 19, 2014 Chris Lindblom rated it it was amazing
I love Bro. Millet's insights and how he lays out how works are not the root of grace, but the fruit of grace. I really loved how he integrated the words of hymns into the topics he was talking about. We really have no idea how much we sing about grace until you actually read the hymns. To sum up what I've learned from this brilliant and life-changing book is Millet's rewording of 2 Nephi 23:25, "despite all we can do, above and beyond all we can do, it is by grace that we're saved."
Chris
Jun 09, 2011 Chris rated it really liked it
A very insightful and concise examination of the doctrine of grace in relation to Christ's atonement. It is a topic that certainly needs more emphasis among Latter-day Saints to help us more fully appreciate Christ's enabling power to fundamentally change our lives. The book at times sounds as though it were written to convince non-LDS evangelicals that Mormons are Christian and that we accept Christ's grace as a key doctrine of salvation, which is fine-because we absolutely do. The few personal ...more
Morgan
Jun 22, 2014 Morgan rated it it was amazing
This was a great book. I have read a few books on grace in the LDS context. None were as powerful, as substantively rich, or uplifting as this one.
Benji Smith
Nov 08, 2015 Benji Smith rated it it was amazing
Robert Millet is describes this interplay so well. I need to reread this book every year.
Erinita
This book was recommended to me by Shawn Sampson - he knows how much I love church books. It was a very thought-provoking book; though I felt like there was a lot of repetition in parts. But, as I was telling this to some friends, it's about Grace, and so there are really so many different ways you can talk about Grace and the Atonement before you become repetitive. But, I really like all of the CS Lewis quotes as well as the many scriptures which were cited; they seemed to be the "not-so-quoted ...more
Charles
Feb 21, 2016 Charles rated it liked it
This is a second (or third) reading of this book by me. I think I understand in part what the author is trying to teach me. However, it is hard for me to put into practice what he teaches. Yet I feel what he teaches is important to understanding life and how I should conduct myself. It is a good book and I wish I could rate it higher. I rate it three stars because I like the book.
London Litchfield
Sep 24, 2008 London Litchfield rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I really liked this book and think the author is spot on in his take on Grace. In order to 'have it all' you don't have to 'do it all'. Robert Millet focuses on the condition of our hearts which is and should be the heart of the matter of the atonement in the first place. All of our works just show our gratitude and intent to receive the Savior's supreme gift to us.
Kelli
Sep 20, 2010 Kelli rated it it was amazing
Loved the chapter on Christ's Enabling Power. I wonder why we as Latter Day Saints dont talk about this more, and how we apply it in our everyday lives? There is much to learn and understand about Christ's atonement. It can purify, strengthen, and empower us as we strive to overcome our individual sins and mortal limitations-YES, MORTAL LIMITATIONS! WHOOO-HOOO!
Bonnie
Feb 29, 2008 Bonnie rated it really liked it
Recommended to Bonnie by: Book Club
I had a hard time with the first three chapters, just because it felt very repetitive - in it's wording and topic. However, I learned so much from the rest of the book, I wonder if I should re-read the first part to see what I missed! Great insight into our Savior's total atonement and our need to turn everything over to Him so we can wholly do HIS work - not ours.
Jacob
Mar 23, 2011 Jacob rated it really liked it
I love this book. I love the message and I love the strong scriptures used to teach the doctrine. I didn't like the organization of the ideas and the general layout of the chapters. Robert Millet and I just don't think the same way or something because I always feel like I'm a little lost and wondering in his books. Maybe I'm just not smart enough :)
Rachel
Feb 26, 2009 Rachel rated it it was amazing
This book focuses on grace and its place in the Mormon religion. I enjoyed this book. I am sort of struggling with this review because I cant really say that I learned much from this book, but I think most will. I believe that this is a very essential piece of doctrine for us to understand. I would recommend this book to anyone.
Rae
Sep 30, 2010 Rae rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religiosity
An insightful book that clarifies Mormon/Christian doctrine in regards to being saved by grace and/or works. So much of the argument is based on misunderstood semantics. I found Millet's explanations fresh and interesting. Recommended to those with an interest in such things.
Heather Murphy
Apr 06, 2008 Heather Murphy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!
Recommended to Heather by: my dad
I'm actually listening to the audio version again. It is teaching me so much about the atonement of Christ. It never ceases to amaze me how much I can learn from great books I've already read before when the subject is Christ. This is a MUST READ!
Glenna
Sep 10, 2008 Glenna rated it it was amazing
I finished this last month and learned so much more about the saving principle of grace. Just like the author says, we need to study this principle more in our own gospel study because an understanding of it can only come in personal reading and thought.
Rachel Cunningham
Mar 11, 2012 Rachel Cunningham rated it it was amazing
So I actually never finished this book. It was excellent and well-written but said a lot of the same things as another book on grace that I had just read by Brad Wilcox. Both good choices on the subject.
Becky
Aug 17, 2009 Becky rated it really liked it
Great book on understanding the "Natural Man" and overcoming the "natural man" and becoming what God wants us to become. Enjoyed it, just need to practice it.
Shauna
Apr 01, 2010 Shauna rated it it was amazing
This book is a must read for anyone who wants to learn more about the atonement of Jesus Christ and how we can make His atonement work in our lives.
Aaron
Nov 09, 2008 Aaron rated it it was amazing
A great book on the atonement and grace. Dr. Millet paints a great picture of grace and its role in our life.
Ammon Hallsted
Aug 22, 2012 Ammon Hallsted rated it really liked it
Really understands the doctrine well. It explains pretty clearly what we believe about grace, and the role of works.
Jeremy
Nov 04, 2012 Jeremy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Due to the subject matter, I couldn't rate it lower. Great topic but poorly put together writing.
Kathy
Nov 18, 2010 Kathy rated it liked it
A very good book about the relationship of faith, grace, and works in the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
Teri
Jan 23, 2012 Teri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Teri by: Ann chose it for Jan 2012 bookclub
Really enjoyed this book. Inspired me to learn to highlight on my kindle. I marked many passages!
Finn
Oct 28, 2008 Finn rated it really liked it
Do we believe in "being saved by grace?" This is a very good and insightful book.
  • Remembering Joseph: Personal Recollections Of Those Who Knew The Prophet Joseph Smith
  • The Broken Heart: Applying the Atonement to Life's Experiences
  • Lengthen Your Stride: The Presidency of Spencer W. Kimball
  • Increase In Learning: Spiritual Patterns For Obtaining Your Own Answers (Spiritual Patterns, #1)
  • The Mortal Messiah: From Bethlehem to Calvary, Book 1 (Mortal Messiah)
  • Six Events: The Restoration Model for Solving Life's Problems
  • Boyd K. Packer: A Watchman on the Tower
  • Purity and Passion: Spiritual Truths about Intimacy That Will Strengthen Your Marriage
  • Even as I Am
  • Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Lorenzo Snow
  • Old Testament and Related Studies (The Collected Works of Hugh Nibley, Volume 1)
  • Pathways To Perfection: Discourses Of Thomas S. Monson
  • The Hidden Christ: Beneath the Surface of the Old Testament
  • The Uses of Adversity
  • How Wide the Divide?: A Mormon & an Evangelical in Conversation
  • Four Essays on Love
  • Investigating the Book of Mormon Witnesses
  • Trusting Jesus
Robert L. Millet, professor of ancient scripture and former dean of Religious Education at Brigham Young University, holds a master s degree in psychology from BYU and a Ph.D. in religious studies from Florida State University. He is a popular speaker and prolific writer whose other books include Lost and Found: Reflections on the Prodigal Son; Grace Works; and More Holiness Give Me. He and his wi ...more
More about Robert L. Millet...